Odin.Foxmulder
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Chakan
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-12-27 09:36:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Not sure I get what your point is :x

Another uninteresting merc/gilbuyer/gilseller on AH. Never a surprise on this website anymore.
 Asura.Aburaage
Server: Asura
By Asura.Aburaage 2021-12-27 09:48:56
Link | Quote | Reply

If/when they unlock v20, everyone who lacks access will get ez catch up since people are gonna need to reclear to v20.
By Asura.Neojuggernautx 2021-12-27 09:53:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Asura.Neojuggernautx said: »
My friend and I were discussing how it would be nice if you could realistically segment farm the other two zones. Just beef up the levels and segment output of mobs in A and B to simultaneously farm scales and hides. I’m looking at this from a Gil perspective. Sheols A and B gears are 8-9m upgrades for a piece, Sheol C items are 650k.

You can segment farm Sheol B, I know it's possible because it's what we do now. A good run is gonna give you 6.5 to 7.5K segments along with a nice pile of materials. The key is for everyone to have the teleporters so you can go 1 -> 6 -> 3 -> 4 -> 5.

I agree and I’ve done before, just playtime is super limited and want to maximize segments in C for as few farming sessions possible. If I was a young lad back in college I would totes do B more often.
 Bahamut.Galakar
Server: Bahamut
user: Galakar
By Bahamut.Galakar 2021-12-27 10:08:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Lowering the level of the mobs and NMs in A and B when keeping the same segments ratio per kill could also help. This would allow weaker/newer/returning players easier access to segments farming and also lower the price of scales and hides.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2021-12-27 10:27:25
Link | Quote | Reply

My guess is that they're rebalancing A and B. One kind thing I can say about SE is that they're pretty good at revisiting "older" content to keep it relevant. Post-Abyssea, most of the content has retained some form of relevance since release. (If we ignore Meebles and Legion... haha...) Granted, much of it is kept through seasonal campaigns (VW, Nyzul, etc), but still

It's flat-out weird that there are two sheols that are almost entirely abandoned. The only real benefit to A and B is that, because nobody does them, a party not interested in farming segments can farm Lustreless items for additional gil profit. Even then, it's bizarre that the only value of doing XXX content is that it's so useless that nobody else does it.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2021-12-27 10:29:39
Link | Quote | Reply

One obvious "band-aid" fix is to just make Sheol C drop Lustreless Scales and Hides too. It's kinda ridiculous how much gil it can cost to R15 a bunch of Unity accessories.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-12-27 11:16:44
Link | Quote | Reply

A lot less compared to the price it was when it was first released.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-12-27 11:19:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Idiot tax isn't a great measuring stick
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2021-12-27 12:19:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
It's flat-out weird that there are two sheols that are almost entirely abandoned. The only real benefit to A and B is that, because nobody does them, a party not interested in farming segments can farm Lustreless items for additional gil profit.

I know several people on our server who have switched to normally farming B instead of C for segments. Less segments, but if they have enough segments for Gaol entries, hides are a better reward. Also not a bad way for someone to get a steady stream of income from a fairly short activity that can be done solo whenever it's convenient without needing other players (Ambu doesn't necessarily permit that very efficiently).

I think that hides/scales remaining expensive is intended. It's a lot like dyna currency, alexandrite, etc. Yes, a large chunk of the supply comes from Ambuscade now. But there ARE people out there farming Dyna/Salvage just for the currency to sell, and always have been.

That being said, I personally wouldn't complain for cheaper scales/hides... But I see the argument against making them drop like candy elsewhere.
By FaeQueenCory 2021-12-27 13:25:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Alternatively, they could increase the end bonus for segments so that A/B/C all give you basically the same amount at the end.
Such that where you would get a LOT from the end of a A run, but get very little from the mobs; B would split the difference; and C would work the same as now where you get a 25% bonus (iirc) of the total farmed from the mobs.

Then wings would go up in value (less supply), and hides and scales would drop a bit in value.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-12-27 17:03:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Odyssey related, should move to that thread:
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2021-12-27 17:05:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I do have an optimal (so far as I've found) farming path for Sheol B, would you like it here or in the other thread?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-12-27 17:10:49
Link | Quote | Reply

You can post it in the Odyssey thread. Include the end gil reward wit # of boxes you get from the end. Because # of boxes you could get from chests/coffers/aurums is randomly split between 5 other people so not a consistent measure of what you personally net (but you can include that as well for overall clarity)
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2021-12-27 17:55:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Posted the details, short version is Warp straight to 6 then warp to 3 then -> 4 -> 5 -> finish. Normally hit three Aegons for 3 personal boxes at end with 1 million gil reward and 6,500 ~ 7,500 segments. Less segments then Sheol C but more gil for those who aren't super short segments. Our normal triple NM run costs ~13,500 segments so we normally break even or end up positive.
 Valefor.Worlace
Server: Valefor
user: Worlace
By Valefor.Worlace 2021-12-31 10:24:03
Link | Quote | Reply

So emp +3, more storage, higher master levels, and “new battle systems” between now and May. Will be interested to see how they do more storage/wardrobes without making it take 3 minutes to load inventory when you zone.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2021-12-31 10:41:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Hopefully they will make the system stop loading Mog Safe, Mog Safe 2, Storage and Mog Locker in EVERY zone but only in zones with a Mog House or Nomad Moogle.

That alone would make the loading times bearable and would allow Wardrobe 5 and 6 to be added for 160 more inventory space and loading times that would still be faster than they are currently.
Where do I sign for that?!
[+]
 Valefor.Worlace
Server: Valefor
user: Worlace
By Valefor.Worlace 2021-12-31 10:43:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Hopefully they will make the system stop loading Mog Safe, Mog Safe 2, Storage and Mog Locker in EVERY zone but only in zones with a Mog House or Nomad Moogle.

That alone would make the loading times bearable and would allow Wardrobe 5 and 6 to be added for 160 more inventory space and loading times that would still be faster than they are currently.
Where do I sign for that?!

I would certainly vote for that option, but it makes getting rid of lock style sets that use mog house related items. I would happily get rid of that for more wardrobes. Even if it meant paying $4 more a month.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-12-31 11:06:04
Link | Quote | Reply

They can't not load every safe without big changes because the game checks them when you try to lockstyle, when a rare tagged item drops. or you attempt to obtain a rare tagged item.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-12-31 11:07:45
Link | Quote | Reply

No, stop that. They absolutely can.

I don't care what excuses they give it can be done. They won't do it.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-12-31 11:09:33
Link | Quote | Reply

That's why I said "without big changes".
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-12-31 11:10:52
Link | Quote | Reply

The size of the task is irrelevant. It won't be done not because of the task, but because of the lack of reward.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-12-31 11:12:11
Link | Quote | Reply

The size of the task is absolutely relevant to the point that I was making.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-12-31 11:14:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Except it's not

Don't make excuses for the mutli billion dollar company.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-12-31 11:15:14
Link | Quote | Reply

You need to reread what I said if you think that's remotely what I was doing.
 Sylph.Herbs
Server: Sylph
user: JoeRogan
By Sylph.Herbs 2021-12-31 11:30:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Except it's not

What does that have to do with it? It's not about how much the corporation is worth, it's how much the specific product brings in. The developers running XI have strict budgets, they can't just go ask for more above and beyond that cause they won't get it. Stop trolling, since you know full well how this stuff works in your own line of work.

Regardless, the reason for the inventory delay is because of anti dupe systems and not loading issues. If they did not have these in place many complaining would be the first to dupe everything to make money from RMT.
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2021-12-31 11:33:01
Link | Quote | Reply

The lockstyle issue can be solved, especially with equipsets in use, that feels like a solvable problem. My feeling has been that they were going to resolve this by allowing you to access items via job specific equipsets that would otherwise not be visible, but I didn't consider the rare issue.

I'm not sure how you'd deal with rare items. The only way I could imagine that happening is if, instead of checking current status/inventory, they send a message to check every time an item is received to check if it exists in non-visible storage. I imagine that'd be slow, unwieldy, and error prone, though. The game client already has issues dropping packets at times. This would be an issue with any inventory solution that doesn't load every item and allows storage of r items, though.

Either that or they just stop worrying about people having two of the same item when it is tagged as rare. Having one in your safe/locker wouldn't let you equip it, so it wouldn't change battle mechanics much, but there are probably consequences outside of the economy I am not considering.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-12-31 11:34:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
They can't not load every safe without big changes because the game checks them when you try to lockstyle, when a rare tagged item drops. or you attempt to obtain a rare tagged item.

This isn't really fair, the server checking data it already has locally does not require the player to have that data. You can lot on rare items you have as is if you lot before the bag they are in populates, but the server will still say no when it tries to give it to you.

Asura.Iamaman said: »
Either that or they just stop worrying about people having two of the same item when it is tagged as rare. Having one in your safe/locker wouldn't let you equip it, so it wouldn't change battle mechanics much, but there are probably consequences outside of the economy I am not considering.
Again, doesn't really matter. The client isn't telling the server you can't have 2 rare items, the server is telling the client. So, even if you don't get your bags populated, the server will still prevent you getting 2 of a rare item. Non-issue.
[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2021-12-31 11:40:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Again, doesn't really matter. The client isn't telling the server you can't have 2 rare items, the server is telling the client. So, even if you don't get your bags populated, the server will still prevent you getting 2 of a rare item. Non-issue.

That makes sense. I'm just used to old, poorly written software trusting the client too much. If the item is being generated and assigned server side, I guess it'd make sense that check happens server side.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2021-12-31 12:05:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Herbs said: »
Asura.Eiryl said: »
Except it's not

What does that have to do with it? It's not about how much the corporation is worth, it's how much the specific product brings in. The developers running XI have strict budgets, they can't just go ask for more above and beyond that cause they won't get it. Stop trolling, since you know full well how this stuff works in your own line of work.

Regardless, the reason for the inventory delay is because of anti dupe systems and not loading issues. If they did not have these in place many complaining would be the first to dupe everything to make money from RMT.

I believe it has to do with FFXI's server network code being ancient and built around supporting play over modems and there not being sufficiently knowledgeable / cost worthy resources to rebuild it to take full advantage of modern high speed broadband. Think the last I heard their network packets are stupidly small in size and they end up loading items one at a time or something similar. I build a new character on the same account as my main and my inventory loads super fast when I zone because it's not full of stuff.
First Page 2 3 ... 235 236 237 ... 432 433 434