BLM Melee set
First Page 2 3
 Bismarck.Indigla
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Indigla
By Bismarck.Indigla 2017-10-23 02:39:33
Link | Quote | Reply

A bit odd perhaps, but a while back I made a melee set for BLM for Omen to help with completing weapon skill objectives and opening or closing skillchains to do magic burst objectives or weapon skill damage objectives. It also works pretty well for getting MP back quickly via Myrkr so you can do Death for 15,000 damage objectives.

Just was wondering if anyone else tried something similar and if I may have overlooked any gear. Maybe some would find it helpful so I'll just leave it here. The rings are what I think would be ideal, but you could replace them with a lot of other comparable rings that are almost as good.

ItemSet 353246
[+]
By geigei 2017-10-23 06:37:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I did something similar for whm, dw clubs, with indi-haste and sam roll, tp gain is pretty fast and helps a lot if you lowman.
 Asura.Toralin
Server: Asura
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2017-10-23 06:45:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Did the same thing but built Occult Acumen set. you can get 1k TP from a Thunder5

ItemSet 349309

I did this for a couple reasons, mostly because the melee gear out there sucked, and it was much easier on inventory to build Occult Acumen set. If you have 6-7 jobs geared everything is probably 80/80
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2017-10-23 10:07:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone have one with manawall up?
 Odin.Geriond
Server: Odin
user: Gerion
By Odin.Geriond 2017-10-23 10:44:52
Link | Quote | Reply

As long as you're not tanking, Raetic Bangles would be better for the hands slot.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-10-23 14:30:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Blistering Sallet +1 is an option, but that's a slot where you could get a lot more acc (as well as stuff like DEX, STP, multiattack, etc.) out of a Merlinic Hood. I have like an Merlinic Acc+39 augment that I held onto from tossing random pieces at Oseem during DM campaign.

Your additional consideration there is that Blistering has 2 more haste (and the set in OP is only Haste+25%). Could counter that loss with either a Merlinic Jubbah (Haste +3% versus Jhakri's pitiful Haste +1%), or Hasty Pinion +1% (suffer a hit to STP, but haste/acc is pretty good). Probably want to figure out TP/hit and not drop a hit, but for the use cases here it's not really that important to get excess TP above 1000 (like it would be focusing on WS damage for a WS that scales with TP), you're just looking to get to WS quickly or open a SC.

Though, yeah, I guess a good Occult Acumen set would be the easier route!
 Leviathan.Stamos
Server: Leviathan
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2017-10-23 14:54:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Telchine can be augmented with +3 haste in the head slot, along with acc. Alternatively, you can put +10 haste on a cape if you want to go that route. Leaving you with more freedom.
 Bismarck.Indigla
By Bismarck.Indigla 2017-10-23 16:10:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Stamos said: »
Telchine can be augmented with +3 haste in the head slot, along with acc. Alternatively, you can put +10 haste on a cape if you want to go that route. Leaving you with more freedom.
Threw together an alternative set based off your comment, unless my math is wrong it's on average ~+10 more store tp with just a little less accuracy around -11.25. Thanks for the replies everyone.
ItemSet 353900
[+]
 Leviathan.Stamos
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2017-10-23 16:21:05
Link | Quote | Reply

You probably can mix/match more than just going 4x Telchine.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-10-23 16:47:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Indigla said: »
Threw together an alternative set based off your comment, unless my math is wrong it's on average ~+10 more store tp with just a little less accuracy around -11.25. Thanks for the replies everyone.ItemSet 353900

Happen to know the total /checkparam acc on that set? Perhaps I'm wrong, but at a glance I'd be somewhat concerned that it would be a little too low to cap on Omen mobs, especially if you aren't getting acc buffs (which I'd assume most BLMs won't be getting much of). Might be better off with some higher Acc pieces to cap hit rate.

Also want to actually check TP/hit and needed STP for x-hit, for a 2h weapon melee build. If you're just short of an x-hit reduction, reworking to add more STP would be a priority. If your TP set is overdoing STP, it doesn't do a lot of good for you for this purpose (you just want to get to 1000 to WS quickly, no real concern about maximizing WS damage so TP overflow is of little importance) so there may be slots where you're currently using STP but you could be better off prioritizing acc and/or multiattack.

However, the bigger picture: I kinda have to believe Occult Acumen is the right answer here for fast TP generation. Can't imagine melee beating the speed of a 1-2 spell OA set, and you can get more mage-appropriate buffs (even if you don't care about damage, idk, refresh or something - and something like a COR using Samurai/Tactician's Roll would be helpful too). And optimizing a melee set would require attack speed buffs (March, GEO haste), which would only help melees - are you in a party with all of the others also doing melee? I'd assume that most BLM would end up in a mage-heavy party, and your fellow mages probably WON'T be meleeing for their TP.

It's still an interesting little thought exercise, just not sure I'm convinced it actually has practical uses that would beat the alternatives. Best case scenario I can imagine is maaaaaybe if you're trying to avoid doing too much nuke damage and spamming WS until you hit objectives, but... is that really THAT much of a problem for your group that you can't throw in some nukes (in a set optimized for OA, not magic damage) and still complete objectives, and quite quickly if you have mage backline adding WS to the mix?
 Bismarck.Indigla
By Bismarck.Indigla 2017-10-23 17:13:56
Link | Quote | Reply

The set I initially posted (substituting Petrov and Rajas rings since I don't have Chirich ones) is 1004 acc as BLM/RDM, with Sublime Sushi you hit fine on trash in Omen. Think it's a 5-hit, but I don't know how much over storing tp it is. Never tried OA set, but I'd imagine it's less hassle since you can focus on one mob at a time and grind out weaponskill objectives without killing it too quickly.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2017-10-24 01:35:14
Link | Quote | Reply

If you need more haste don't forget the ammo Hasty Pinion +1. Provides some Acc and 2% Haste, can be useful to reach 26% at the loss of 2stp from White Tathlum.

Also please don't forget the existance of Onca Suit.
That + Telchine Cap (haste augment) or Blistering+1 and Hasty Pinion+1 is already haste cap, while also providing a really good chunk of DT if you need be, and a nice DA+10, which is probably more than you would get from full Telchine (since you'd be using the DA slot to go for Haste).
All of this while leaving the Waist slot free for you to use Windbuffet +1.

This set provides less acc than the one you posted on top with 2x Jhakri+2 pieces, and also less STP, but way more DA and it also requires less inventory space and less time to obtain the set.
This might not be an issue for very resourceful/patient people, but for many other they probably wouldn't want to spend gazilion of time/gil in stones hoping for the right augments and wasting unnecessary inventory slots when they can get pretty satisfying results already with a combination of Onca Suit and other items.

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
However, the bigger picture: I kinda have to believe Occult Acumen is the right answer here for fast TP generation.
Depends on your goal.
In a general situation I completely agree. You and Toralin nailed it already.

But if we're talking about Omen and especially Floor 1, 2 or 4 where you have limited time and often limited targets, you can't really waste them with tier5 to generate 1000 TP.
Better to physically melee and spam a low WS.
I like Club on jobs with a decent enough club skill, staff for the others (Gozuki Mezuki is the best in that regard, Kirin's Staff is otherwise pretty decent).
If your accuracy/buffs allow you to reach the required values, using low level multiattack weapons (kraken club, mercurial pole) is even better! Your WS will do less damage and you will gain TP faster.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-10-24 22:20:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
But if we're talking about Omen and especially Floor 1, 2 or 4 where you have limited time and often limited targets, you can't really waste them with tier5 to generate 1000 TP.
Better to physically melee and spam a low WS.

Possibly, and honestly I haven't really even tried much BLM WS spam in Omen, but I do use RNG a lot in there where I encounter a similar situation. Tried RNG melee with a strong TP set, but I've found it MUCH faster to generate TP through shooting as opposed to melee. I'll still use a weak WS like Energy Drain or Shadowstich, and I haven't found the TP phase damage to be so strong so we run out of mobs or kill too quickly to risk missing the WS objective.

Basically the same idea for BLM. You COULD melee for the TP, but if your OA set doesn't have tons of MAB and you're not bursting - which should be the case - your spells won't be that strong to kill everything too fast, and you're probably fine nuking for TP and getting it faster than even a capped delay/acc melee setup. MP also shouldn't be a big issue between Myrkr spam (unless you need to spam physical WS only), AF body, and any buffs (you can tell GEO or BRD to use refresh buffs, since you don't need stuff that increases spell damage).
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2017-10-25 01:02:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Off topic but meleeing on rng works very well with kraken club xD

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
Comment: For one, it's terrifying...
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [938 days between previous and next post]
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2020-05-19 19:03:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Off topic but meleeing on rng works very well with kraken club xD

how the 3 years ago...
By Draylo 2020-05-19 19:05:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Not just RNG is on the KC, people are slow to catch onto metas in the game. Most are only focused on what they see in shouts and on forums, too bad they can't think for themselves they could have bought it when it was cheap!
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [311 days between previous and next post]
By Kasumuni88 2021-03-26 09:05:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there an updated gear set that would rework the gear listed at the top?

I just finished my 119iii Claustrum and im looking to melee. The relic +3 and ambuscade +2 armor is good, but surely there are better pieces.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-03-26 09:22:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Kasumuni88 said: »
Is there an updated gear set that would rework the gear listed at the top?

I just finished my 119iii Claustrum and im looking to melee. The relic +3 and ambuscade +2 armor is good, but surely there are better pieces.

Sets will change greatly depending on what augments you choose for Nyame gear (if you plan on acquiring it and RP'ing it- no quick fix). Path A is going to be quite the gift for non-traditional DDs that lack good options.

Jhakri Gear is awful to melee in except for the legs. In total, the haste of the set is quite low. Hands are good for WS'ing.

Relic gear has good accuracy and attack, but no STP or multiattack.

In reality, the best I've found to work with pre-Odyssey is augmented Telchine and a few UNM pieces. I have head and body with Accuracy+20,STP+6. Gazu Wristbands+1 once fully RP'ed are a great accuracy and haste fixer for melee mage sets. Outside of that, some other options are the "all jobs" accessories that fit our needs- things like Cessance Earring/Telos Earring, Chirich(+1) Rings, Grunfeld Rope, and Combatant's Torque are all workable options.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [306 days between previous and next post]
By Kasumuni88 2022-01-26 04:01:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Is the Combatant's Torque better than Sanctity Necklace for pure DD?

I was looking at the earring you get from Divine Might II. Its the Crematio earring with +5 staff skill. What would this translate to for stats? (acc and attack because its a 2 handed weapon).

Since the Claustrum brings staff skill +269, Combatant's +15, and Cematio +5, would this fare better than any accuracy and attack earrings?
By Nariont 2022-01-26 04:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

it's better sure, shulmanu collar is probably the best youll find in terms of TP necks for smn. Pretty sure all non-h2h skills are just 1 skill = 1 acc/atk, so there's better tp ears out there.
 Fenrir.Melphina
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2022-01-26 10:47:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Path B Nyame is perfectly acceptable. The extra double attack is still gonna be better than any other tp set we have access to regardless of which path your nyame is on.

Notable swaps:

Mpaca's staff -- Same accuracy as fully augmented Marin +1 with a much higher magic damage value. I'm honestly not sure if rank 20-25 Mpaca's Staff beats marin +1 or not. I wanna test the two out once I get a strong enough aug on my mpaca's staff.

Gazu Bracelets +1 -- 15% haste and a very high amount of accuracy. I think it's like 100 or so (ish) more than nyame gauntlets.
[+]
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2022-01-26 11:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

It's possible Rank 20-25 agwu's hands and feet will outperform nyame here. There's a balancing act between MaB and WSD and those are the most likely pieces you'd want to swap. I think simon once mentioned something about that swap when we were discussing 5/5 nyame path B versus a mix of b and c for optimal aeolian edge damage, citing that nyame C hands and feet may be better overall since those are the pieces that path B has the lowest of in weaponskill damage. You do eventually notice the diminishing returns of stacking too much WsD and eventually going heavier on MaB is better. In BLM's case we can have our cake and eat it too, because agwu's fits that role nicely, so we can make that swap if it is indeed correct.
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2022-01-26 12:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Not that it fundamentally changes the sets or anything, but drepanum looks pretty strong with a 100% boost to spiral hell if you have some one that can close darkness for you
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2022-01-26 12:38:15
Link | Quote | Reply

That's actually a fun point. And Drepanum gives a 100% bonus to spiral hell too. I can't help but wonder how much damage Blm could put up with that thing now. It's not like it's a bad weapon after all. Melee blm with a scythe actually looks like a pretty viable playstyle now that I think about it. And can still throw in your magic bursts whenever you get to skillchain too. Spiral hell changes the entire dynamic because it gives blm an actual...usable and dare I even say competitive??? melee option. I'm intrigued! And with a 50% strength and 50% INT mod spiral hell has a lot going for it. Heloooo acuity belt +1!
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2022-01-26 12:42:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I did a good chunk of my CP solo on BLM doing vorpal > spiral hell and doing an MB off of it. Didn't have nyame or anything but it was better than staff options i had.
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2022-01-26 12:48:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok that looks like too much fun. I'm gonna hafta build that scythe now and take it for a spin. The sucker even has reasonably good nuking stats. It has slightly higher magic damage than marin +1, plenty of magic accuracy, decent magic attack, and even a good chunk of Int on it. I agree, melee blm with Drepanum looks far better than melee blm with a staff. That's....actually kind of impressive.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-01-26 12:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Floestone from Shiva HTBF should easily be better than Hasty Pinion +1 for Spiral hell, unless you need the accuracy I guess.
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2022-01-26 12:55:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Good call, and it even has 3 strength to boot. Spiral hells mods are 50% int and 50% str. Ghastly tathlum +1 is probably even stronger if you can gain the full 11 int on it, but I'll put the floe for now. I like this concept tbh. And it's not like we can't just swap to a staff if we ever need MP to throw out Myrkr or even spirit taker! In fact, if we're actually meleeing spirit taker should be better than myrkyr for a quick mana refill, which would only be necessary on stuff we can't aspir. If we can aspir stuff we could just keep the scythe on fulltime.
First Page 2 3