FFXI Finally In High Quality Graphics

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2018-08-14
105 users online
Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI finally in high quality graphics
FFXI finally in high quality graphics
First Page 2 ... 18 19 20
 Asura.Saevel
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
Posts: 5894
By Asura.Saevel 2017-06-06 21:08:49
Link | Quote | Reply
 
So Dege over at vogons has decided to fix dgVoodoo2 to work with FFXI.

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=53830#p589821
Quote:
OK, I fixed the issue. Tomorrow I'm going to release a new WIP just because of FFXI.

Since I'm not sure why 2.53 crashes, and just to make sure the new version doesn't crash, I give this game high priority.
It'd be nice to have any bug fixed before my free FFXI access expires. :D

ps: I must admit, the game looks fantastic in high resolution.

For those who don't know it, dgVoodoo2 is a wrapper that converts DirectX 1~8 code into DirectX 11 and enables all that eye candy modern graphics cards can do. While this isn't the graphics engine overhaul we've all wanted, it's the next best thing.
[+]
 Asura.Syto
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Sessho
Posts: 260
By Asura.Syto 2017-06-06 22:11:27
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Saevel said: »
So Dege over at vogons has decided to fix dgVoodoo2 to work with FFXI.

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=53830#p589821
Quote:
OK, I fixed the issue. Tomorrow I'm going to release a new WIP just because of FFXI.

Since I'm not sure why 2.53 crashes, and just to make sure the new version doesn't crash, I give this game high priority.
It'd be nice to have any bug fixed before my free FFXI access expires. :D

ps: I must admit, the game looks fantastic in high resolution.

For those who don't know it, dgVoodoo2 is a wrapper that converts DirectX 1~8 code into DirectX 11 and enables all that eye candy modern graphics cards can do. While this isn't the graphics engine overhaul we've all wanted, it's the next best thing.

I always wondered about this program covering FFXI.. I look forward to it. ^^
Offline
Posts: 163
By Bamboom 2017-06-06 23:13:16
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Woah! How do we got about setting this up?
 Asura.Sechs
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
Posts: 4929
By Asura.Sechs 2017-06-07 01:17:49
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Can't see the screenshots, does this fix the "emulation issue" people were experiencing on cards from the last 5+ years?

If I recall to run the game on recent cards they have to "emulate" old DX8 calls/libraries, as a result the game becomes much much heavier than it should be, and this makes it impossible to mantain 60fps even if you have a powerful videocard/CPU.

Does using this thing alleviate this issue I'm talking about?
Because otherwise what's the point? I'm sure I'm missing something but you could already render the game at 1080p or higher resolutions by changing values in the registries (or using appropriate addons), right?
Offline
Posts: 163
By Bamboom 2017-06-07 01:23:39
Link | Quote | Reply
 
I really hope that's the case
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: BushinNmL
Posts: 24
By Asura.Nightmarelord 2017-06-07 05:03:41
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Yay 50% of my lag has been removed.
Offline
Posts: 637
By Staleyx 2017-06-07 05:27:13
Link | Quote | Reply
 
What systems will this help? I5 980ti here.
 Asura.Sesono
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Zyanide
Posts: 95
By Asura.Sesono 2017-06-07 05:51:39
Link | Quote | Reply
 
whenever its released, could you provide a link to download please?
 Asura.Berlon
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Berlack
Posts: 31
By Asura.Berlon 2017-06-07 06:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Laptop with a 970m, sweet jesus I can't wait to use this.. Optimus forces it to run on my cpu -.-
 Asura.Neufko
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: siskotaru
Posts: 211
By Asura.Neufko 2017-06-07 06:34:53
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Sesono said: »
whenever its released, could you provide a link to download please?

Quick tutorial (since It took me some time to figure out how it works) :

Last version is available here :
http://dege.freeweb.hu/

--Update, thanks Saevel!--

download D3DCompiler_47
download dgvoodoo 2.54 [or the current WIP below]
extract the files anywhere

inside DGvoodoo\MS\ copy d3d8.dll into your
PlayOnline\SquareEnix\playonlineviewer folder

copy d3Dcompiler_47 in your system folder
c:\windows\syswow64 (64bits version)

Please read all the prereq on the website or in the helpme file.



(you may need to add permissions to do so if you are a windows 10 user.)

And that's it, launch windower as usual.


I suggest you wait untill the texture fix is out though. To this point in time, characters (including you) are not rendered. But it's stable.
New WIP is out, here : http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP35.zip
(No more crashes when multi-boxing, no more crashes if you call the task manager through CTRL+ALT+DEL etc..)

This is the best news ever !

Edit : I'll do a more detailed tutorial when i'm back from work. If you follow the instructions above, only the crashes will be fixed. I haven't tweak anything yet to get better graphics. I'll see what I can do tonight.
[+]
 Asura.Neufko
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: siskotaru
Posts: 211
By Asura.Neufko 2017-06-07 06:36:33
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Sechs said: »
Can't see the screenshots, does this fix the "emulation issue" people were experiencing on cards from the last 5+ years?

If I recall to run the game on recent cards they have to "emulate" old DX8 calls/libraries, as a result the game becomes much much heavier than it should be, and this makes it impossible to mantain 60fps even if you have a powerful videocard/CPU.

Does using this thing alleviate this issue I'm talking about?
Because otherwise what's the point? I'm sure I'm missing something but you could already render the game at 1080p or higher resolutions by changing values in the registries (or using appropriate addons), right?

Yes ! all of those issues are gone. This is ridiculously fantastic
[+]
 Bahamut.Scizor
Offline
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Scizor
Posts: 390
By Bahamut.Scizor 2017-06-07 06:45:20
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Does anyone have any comparison images? The album in the forum appears to be private
[+]
 Asura.Sevrax
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Gamefreak
Posts: 5
By Asura.Sevrax 2017-06-07 07:26:33
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Neufko said: »
Asura.Sesono said: »
whenever its released, could you provide a link to download please?

Quick tutorial (since It took me some time to figure out how it works) :

Last version is available here :
http://dege.freeweb.hu/

download 2.54
extract the files anywhere
inside DGvoodoo\MS\ copy d3d8.dll into your
PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI folder
and
PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayonlineViewer folder


(you may need to add permissions to do so if you are a windows 10 user.)

And that's it, launch windower as usual.


I suggest you wait untill the texture fix is out though. To this point in time, characters (including you) are not rendered. But it's stable.
(No more crashes when multi-boxing, no more crashes if you call the task manager through CTRL+ALT+DEL etc..)

This is the best news ever !


doing whats bolded make it so pol boots up and i hit play, once a ffxi window opens up it crashes right away. then pol stats that it failed to initialize direct 3D.

i also put D3DCompiler_43.dll into pol and ffxi game folders along with the D3D8.dll
 Asura.Neufko
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: siskotaru
Posts: 211
By Asura.Neufko 2017-06-07 07:37:11
Link | Quote | Reply
 
 Asura.Saevel
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
Posts: 5894
By Asura.Saevel 2017-06-07 07:38:38
Link | Quote | Reply
 
The Work In Progress build that should work with FFXI.

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=51790&start=160#p589936

Consider it alpha code and not an actual release, yet.
[+]
 Asura.Neufko
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: siskotaru
Posts: 211
By Asura.Neufko 2017-06-07 07:42:49
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Direct link to the new WIP

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP35.zip
 Asura.Saevel
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
Posts: 5894
By Asura.Saevel 2017-06-07 07:52:11
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Neufko said: »
the .txt file in the package gives instructions about prereqs. Maybe you were missing something.

I placed D3DCompiler_43.dll in the dgvoodoo folder, and applied default settings. Maybe it modified the D3D8.dll in the ms folder.

I'll look into it tonight.

Different versions of Windows will have different system libraries and often different programs can install newer libraries that would otherwise be missing.

When pol.exe starts it makes a call to d3d8.dll that then redirects to d3d9 that then redirects the graphics calls accordingly. What we are doing is short circuiting that by placing our own d3d8.dll in the same folder as pol.exe and thus causing it to load that one instead, which converts the code to DX11 via shaders. So we have a set of libaries that we dump into the same folder as pol.exe along with the configuration program.

Official download page

http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html

Documentation on dgVoodoo2

http://dege.fw.hu/dgVoodoo2/Readme.html

Now this requires a DX11 shader compiler to be present in your system library folder.

Quote:
Starting with version 2.5, dynamic shader compiling is available for all API components (Glide, DirectX).
To enable that, you need D3DCompiler_43.dll. Starting with 2.53 an updated compiler version, _47, is also supported.
See the readmes for more information.

32-bit Windows
C:\Windows\System32

64-bit Windows
C:\Windows\SysWOW64

Some games / applications automatically install that library so some people already have it, but many don't. Copy both 43 and 47 into the appropriate Windows folder.

Once I have a chance to play with this I'll give you guys a write up. I play a lot of retro games and have found dgVoodoo2 to be amazing for them. The best part is that once it's working you can chain ReShade or other DX11 graphics enhancers onto it to get even better effects.
[+]
 Asura.Sevrax
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Gamefreak
Posts: 5
By Asura.Sevrax 2017-06-07 07:58:10
Link | Quote | Reply
 
same thing happening with WIP35.

placing D3D8.dll and D3Dcompiler_43.dll in ffxi and pol folder

using Win10 with R9 Fury X Driver 17.1.1.

friend told me that it might only be for laptops with nvidia cards that uses optimus so maybe that why it doesnt work for me!
 Asura.Saevel
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
Posts: 5894
By Asura.Saevel 2017-06-07 08:04:23
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Sevrax said: »
same thing happening with WIP35.

placing D3D8.dll and D3Dcompiler_43.dll in ffxi and pol folder

using Win10 with R9 Fury X Driver 17.1.1.

That's not what we said.

Assuming 64-bit since it's Windows 10

Place D3Dcompiler_47.dll inside your Windows System Folder. Only need to place the D3D8.dll inside Playonline, NOT FFXI or Windower.

C:\Windows\SYSWOW64\ <=== Put D3Dcompiler_47.dll here

C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer <=== put D3D8.dll inside here along with the config program

People NEED to read the documentation, there is no automatic "its magic" here. If reading documentation is too boring or too difficult then you need to go do something else because nobody can help someone who refused to RTFM.
[+]
 Asura.Flipcork
Guildwork Premium
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Mimaru
Posts: 9
By Asura.Flipcork 2017-06-07 08:08:06
Link | Quote | Reply
 
So having trouble getting this working for some reason. _43 & _47 in the syswow, and with D3D8 in POL and XI folders, when I hit play it doesn't crash right away but the XI window doesn't open after the whole "checking version" thing. Instead POL just reloads as if it was first loaded already being logged in, doing this a few more times eventually gets the Direct X error message from POL to pop up.
 Asura.Saevel
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
Posts: 5894
By Asura.Saevel 2017-06-07 08:10:00
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Flipcork said: »
So having trouble getting this working for some reason. _43 & _47 in the syswow, and with D3D8 in POL and XI folders, when I hit play it doesn't crash right away but the XI window doesn't open after the whole "checking version" thing. Instead POL just reloads as if it was first loaded already being logged in, doing this a few more times eventually gets the Direct X error message from POL to pop up.

RTFM

Don't put the D3D8.dll in you FFXI folder, only in your Playonline folder. It needs to be in the same place that pol.exe is.

Now what settings did you configure dgVoodoo2 with? How much video memory, did you save your configuration file into the Playonline folder?
 Asura.Flipcork
Guildwork Premium
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Mimaru
Posts: 9
By Asura.Flipcork 2017-06-07 08:14:18
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Yeah after reading your post stating just the POL folder I went ahead and deleted it from that and just left it in the POL folder, and still the same issue. Left it with the default settings didn't want to mess anything up with that before I got it working so its set to 64mb, and yes I ran Dgvoodoo2 first to save the config before I began all this.
Offline
Posts: 91
By Treizekordero 2017-06-07 08:15:55
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Thanks for this information Saevel playing FFXI on my laptop was killing me compared to my desktop.
 Asura.Saevel
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
Posts: 5894
By Asura.Saevel 2017-06-07 08:24:52
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Flipcork said: »
Yeah after reading your post stating just the POL folder I went ahead and deleted it from that and just left it in the POL folder, and still the same issue. Left it with the default settings didn't want to mess anything up with that before I got it working so its set to 64mb, and yes I ran Dgvoodoo2 first to save the config before I began all this.

I just tested and it's working, but I set it's video memory to 512MB because 64MB is FAR too small. Remember your running a lot of extra stuff and not 640x480 resolution with 512x512 background. Also make sure you set the Playonline folder as the running instance config folder, it should do it anyway but make sure. The D3D8.dll will look for it's config file during initialization. Also you might need to unblock the .dll's and the control panel application. Right-click on them and there should be the unblock button near the bottom.
 Asura.Flipcork
Guildwork Premium
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Mimaru
Posts: 9
By Asura.Flipcork 2017-06-07 08:38:29
Link | Quote | Reply
 
It's working now, after doing all that. Best guess is it was the dll not being unblocked, most have forgotten to do it once while copy pasting things back and forth trying to get it running. Could also have been the combination of the vram as well. Also unchecked the watermark options as well since that was optional along with the dll needed for them.
 Bahamut.Blackmack
Offline
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: MackRamuh
Posts: 12
By Bahamut.Blackmack 2017-06-07 08:40:22
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Is this file safe? Chrome and Firefox keep blocking it.
 Asura.Tuvae
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Tuvae
Posts: 84
By Asura.Tuvae 2017-06-07 09:03:48
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Maybe my eye for detail isnt so good but if its the two pics from photobucket on the forum that link takes you to I dont really see much of a difference to what I have atm
 Asura.Sechs
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
Posts: 4929
By Asura.Sechs 2017-06-07 09:38:35
Link | Quote | Reply
 
More than an issue with "splendidly brilliant graphics" it should be a huge difference in performance, if the hypothesys I made in my previous post is correct (it seems to be according to a couple of following posts?)
 Asura.Toralin
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: toralin
Posts: 703
By Asura.Toralin 2017-06-07 09:40:28
Link | Quote | Reply
 
well got it to work, ingame seems smooth but none of the characters render LOL. Wonder if some settings in my windower launcher is conflicting with the dgVoodooCpl.exe

I did notice I needed to run dgVoodooCpl.exe as Administrator in order for the settings to save properly
First Page 2 ... 18 19 20
Log in to post.