Forum » Windower » Support » crashing when switching over to pol
crashing when switching over to pol
First Page 2
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-18 20:24:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I posted about this in windower support forums but i havnt had any responses. So figured id see if anyone here might have an idea about this.
Copied from that post.

A week or so ago windower started crashing when changing over to pol/ffxi. Not sure what the cause is but it happens every time. I just recently put this comp together with win7 pro. Installed ffxi and windower and it was working fine. Then kept the machine off for a few days while i was waiting for a vga adapter so i could hook it up to the monitor (had to use hdmi to tv while working on it). When i turned it back on this issue was occurring. - Oddly enough however it is not occurring on my old xp comp

This is what is happening:

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Asura.Thorva
Server: Asura
user: Thorva
By Asura.Thorva 2017-02-18 21:28:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Roll back your graphics driver to a previous version
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-18 21:36:52
Link | Quote | Reply

i just recently put the comp together. It was working initially. Then after a few days of not turning the comp on (waiting on monitor adaptor),i turned on the comp, loaded up windoer and it wasnt working. No change was made to the graphics card that i know of. - it was right around the time of the last update if that is part of it?

edit: roll back isnt even an option. The button is greyed out.
 Asura.Thorva
By Asura.Thorva 2017-02-18 21:49:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Try forcing the game to run off the cpu instead of the gpu

edit: if this works then your gpu might not be connected properly or it might have become damaged. If it does not work it is more likely to be a software issue that may force you to run a few disk checks for corrupted software.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-18 21:57:10
Link | Quote | Reply

i have no idea how to do that. But if it was a gpu issue then wouldnt the whole game be effected? Because plain old ffxi program runs perfectly. Its only when i load up through windower that this issue happens.

comp
 Asura.Thorva
By Asura.Thorva 2017-02-18 22:01:46
Link | Quote | Reply

oh ok, I misread. I thought you were having issues with ffxi loading in general which made me think driver/gpu.

At this point I would do a quick uninstall/reinstall of windower itself. Seems like there is a communication error between PoL and the windower which would be causing the crash.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-18 22:10:30
Link | Quote | Reply

i already did. I uninstalled windower and reinstalled it. The issue was exactly the same.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-18 22:20:23
Link | Quote | Reply

tried it yet again. It actually did get slightly further this time. (which is a change in itself)

edit: tried again. Same white screen crashing time :(
By Jetackuu 2017-02-18 22:42:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Told you already that since it was working before you changed your video card that it's probably a driver issue. I'd say it's acting like you have two gpus, but you don't, so...
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-18 22:49:12
Link | Quote | Reply

not sure what i could do to fix a driver issue tho. Its already up to date and cant be rolled back. And as far as i know, hasnt changed at all between the time this whole thing was working and not working.
 Asura.Thorva
By Asura.Thorva 2017-02-18 22:51:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Go to device manager and select display adapters, pick all the ones you don't want and disable them, run only the one for your specific card.

ONLY the drivers that are not the ones you are using.

Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-18 22:56:15
Link | Quote | Reply

there is only one single item under display adapters and thats the graphics card
 Asura.Thorva
By Asura.Thorva 2017-02-18 22:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't disable that then, that is what is showing your screen.

I will keep looking around and see what else I can come up with, but really difficult for me personally to diagnose an issue without seeing it first hand. Some people can, I cannot.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-18 23:01:06
Link | Quote | Reply

well i can see it first hand, i just dont know enough to solve it anyway
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-18 23:11:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Thorva
By Asura.Thorva 2017-02-18 23:42:06
Link | Quote | Reply

driver date 4/19/2011

update driver

might not be it, but when I see a driver that old I start to wonder
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-19 00:04:37
Link | Quote | Reply

yea that caught my eye to. But when i click update driver it says that it is up to date
By Jetackuu 2017-02-19 09:55:40
Link | Quote | Reply

*sigh* download the newest driver from amd's site, what you're doing there is updating it from windows update which most likely doesn't have any recent version. Also you can always roll a driver back, you'd just have to manually uninstall it and install an older version, but in this case it's most likely just needing an update.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-19 19:47:53
Link | Quote | Reply

found the latest update on there site. Still hasnt changed anything tho.
By knoxvegas 2017-02-19 21:34:59
Link | Quote | Reply

i had that problem once,messed with resolution of either the game or windower cant remember which but it fixed it, worth a shot.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2017-02-19 21:55:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Pol/ffxi crashes me when ever i go from ffxi to pol via a d/c. Or if I switch user and log back in. It happens on a win 7 laptop and a win 10 gaming rig. I sort of accepted it as an issue with the way ffxi was programmed + a non windows xp os.

Appears to be a display issue. Its like the reverse of what happens to me.
By Jetackuu 2017-02-20 08:05:40
Link | Quote | Reply

The first is common, the latter is not, it shouldn't be crashing between characters (I used to get that too, but not on all of my boxes).

Odin.Godofgods said: »

I'm trying to remember, were you on onboard graphics before putting this card in or was it another card?
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-20 19:16:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
The first is common, the latter is not, it shouldn't be crashing between characters (I used to get that too, but not on all of my boxes).

Odin.Godofgods said: »

I'm trying to remember, were you on onboard graphics before putting this card in or was it another card?

i put this machine together and loaded it up for the very first time WITH this graphics card already in it. I dl'ed all the drivers, updates (all around), transferred files over to comp and all that.
Once everything was set, i was able to log in through windower to ffxi perfectly fine. No issues. Then i turned the comp off for a few days while i was waiting on a adapter for my monitor.

After i got it and loaded the comp back up, i would get this error. So the only thing that really changed was switching over from tv to monitor. And the FFXI monthly update.
Maybe it is an issue with the monitor settings on the new comp? I dont know. But it is the same monitor that iv played this game on since i first started.
By Jetackuu 2017-02-20 19:33:19
Link | Quote | Reply

For shits and giggles go ahead and plug in the tv again and try it.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-20 19:42:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
For shits and giggles go ahead and plug in the tv again and try it.

i did just after i typed that last post. I plugged it back in to the tv with the hdmi cable. Tried my usual 640x480 resolution. Same problem. Then tried the cmops recommended resolution with the tv of 1360x768 and same issue.
So i plugged back into my monitor. My usual 640x480, same issue. Comps recommended resolution with the monitor of 1440x900, same issue.

even tried the windower default 1024x768 and same issue. So guessing its not a resolution issue or the change from tv to monitor.
By Jetackuu 2017-02-20 22:06:06
Link | Quote | Reply

When you were setting these resolutions by chance did you double check to make sure the ffxiconfig client was showing the same?
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-20 22:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

i did. It looked like when i changed the reso in windower it auto changed ffxi config to match.
By Jetackuu 2017-02-21 08:29:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Simple question, are you running as an admin?
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-21 17:15:05
Link | Quote | Reply

i believe i tried both iir. But right now, yes it is set to run as admin
By Fyrestorm 2017-02-23 11:50:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Any luck with this? I've had the same issue for a while now. Reinstalled FFXI/Windower and such. I've changed most settings on nvidia/POL/Windower etc and no luck.

Short of reinstalling windows I'm out of ideas. It's quite frustrating.
First Page 2