Multibox Crash (Blackscreen)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Windower » Support » Multibox Crash (Blackscreen)
Multibox Crash (Blackscreen)
 Lakshmi.Reddwarf
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Reddwarf
By Lakshmi.Reddwarf 2017-02-05 18:33:02
Link | Quote | Reply

i recently went back to windows 7 (from Windows 10), and now when i zone with my multiple chars (seems to only happen when its at the same time), at least 1,if not all 3 screens lock up. and eventually timeout.

if i open Task Manager and close one of them, the other 1 or 2 might eventually recover. this is a huge pain in the *** for Ambuscade. was there ever a fix found for this?
By Jetackuu 2017-02-05 20:06:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like you may need to reinstall win7 from scratch unless you have a system restore point from before the change (I am not sure if the "upgrade" wipes those out, they probably do).
 Fenrir.Cariboulou
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cariboulou 2017-02-05 20:21:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Happens to me randomly when zoning into battle content used to happen more on windows 7 i use wondows 10 now and happens occasionaly but seems to be alot less usualy with 4+ windower windows open i start seeing it.
 Lakshmi.Reddwarf
By Lakshmi.Reddwarf 2017-02-05 22:05:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Sounds like you may need to reinstall win7 from scratch unless you have a system restore point from before the change (I am not sure if the "upgrade" wipes those out, they probably do).

its a fresh install, less than 1 day old, only has antivirus, malwarebytes and FFXI.

i never had this problem on windows 10. this is the main reason i went back to windows 7. i was getting this..

Application pol.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware.

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2017-02-05 22:24:49
Link | Quote | Reply

It's basically just a property of your system. Here's what we think is happening:
1) When you zone a character, FFXI needs to load .DATs A and B to show you the new zone, which it tries to do.
2) In fact, it might need to load .DAT A and .DAT B at the same time.
3) You have 3 characters and they're all zoning simultaneously, so all 3 are attempting to do this at once.
4) Character 1 might claim .DAT A, while character 2 claims .DAT B. Character 3 loses musical chair and loads none
5) Character 1 and 2 are both sitting there waiting for the file they're missing to become available. Character 3 is waiting for both files to be come available.
6) You force quit Character 1 or 2 and it frees up the .DAT the other needs. The other one finishes with the .DAT and passes control of both to Character 3.

As you can see, nothing about this is really Windower related per se. The fact that you got it on windows 7 and not on windows 10 is probably due to how quickly you're access the harddrive or how it handles requests from multiple process or something or other. We've played around with the idea of making FFXI load its .dats in read only mode, which would hopefully let multiple process load it at once, but we haven't made any progress.

If you are using FastCS, stop and see if that helps.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2017-02-05 22:39:06
Link | Quote | Reply

My bad, I took it as you rolled back the upgrade.

The error with 10 there sounds like your nvidia driver kept crashing, possibly something to do with reports of newer drivers for nvidia having dx9 supportt issues.

It's been a long time since I multiboxed on the same device, I just run each instance in their own VM to fully sandbox them as I like using a controller for each and got tired of the random chatlog issues at the time I switched.
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Server: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2017-02-05 22:53:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I have never experienced this myself and I'm on win7 ultimate. Been playing multi-box for years.

What model graphics card you have? did you recently update drivers? Using multiple add-ons?
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-02-06 00:04:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I regularly experienced this dualboxing on my laptop and far less frequently on my new pc with an SSD (both win 10, and SSD kinda pointing to byrth's comment about file access speed). My dualbox is always on a mage and when I'm doing something like Ambuscade with other people, I try to space out the warps of my own characters.

It doesn't much help in exiting Ambu but lowers the overall chance.

I know triboxers who experience this regularly enough as well.

Most frustrating part is that since it happens at loading screen, it takes a full 5 minutes for XI to release the character's connection to the game.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2017-02-06 00:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
It's basically just a property of your system. Here's what we think is happening:
1) When you zone a character, FFXI needs to load .DATs A and B to show you the new zone, which it tries to do.
3) You have 3 characters and they're all zoning simultaneously, so all 3 are attempting to do this at once.
4) Character 1 might claim .DAT A, while character 2 claims .DAT B. Character 3 loses musical chair and loads none
5) Character 1 and 2 are both sitting there waiting for the file they're missing to become available. Character 3 is waiting for both files to be come available.
6) You force quit Character 1 or 2 and it frees up the .DAT the other needs. The other one finishes with the .DAT and passes control of both to Character 3.

As you can see, nothing about this is really Windower related per se. The fact that you got it on windows 7 and not on windows 10 is probably due to how quickly you're access the harddrive or how it handles requests from multiple process or something or other. We've played around with the idea of making FFXI load its .dats in read only mode, which would hopefully let multiple process load it at once, but we haven't made any progress.

I've been experiencing this myself, if only occasionally.

Windows 10, PCI SSD.

I'm not running fastCS though. Any other thoughts on what could be done to reduce the occurrences?
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2017-02-06 00:44:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Updating harddrive drivers?

Not really.
By Kilobyte 2017-02-06 04:19:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I had this problem a long time ago, I had to uninstall my antivirus to make it stop.
 Lakshmi.Reddwarf
By Lakshmi.Reddwarf 2017-02-06 15:41:28
Link | Quote | Reply

is it possible to install multiple copies of FFXI, and have a seperate windower load each (for each toon)?
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-02-06 15:46:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Starting to think there's something more to this. I used to have some tools designed to seperate my zoning because it'd happen every 5-6 zones(9boxing). Around mid-2015, I saw someone post that it'd been fixed on SE's end. Since then I haven't used any of those tools or seen this crash at all, despite increasing to 12 chars and frequently zoning a few milliseconds apart(sending enter key to all while using a home point for example).

Apparently this is not the case if it's still happening for people, but I would think if it's just simple file contention it'd be a pretty universal problem. Possible having a decent quality SSD with up to date drivers completely prevents it. Thinking it's probably more complicated than people had assumed, though.
 Lakshmi.Reddwarf
By Lakshmi.Reddwarf 2017-02-06 15:59:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Starting to think there's something more to this. I used to have some tools designed to seperate my zoning because it'd happen every 5-6 zones(9boxing). Around mid-2015, I saw someone post that it'd been fixed on SE's end. Since then I haven't used any of those tools or seen this crash at all, despite increasing to 12 chars and frequently zoning a few milliseconds apart(sending enter key to all while using a home point for example).

Apparently this is not the case if it's still happening for people, but I would think if it's just simple file contention it'd be a pretty universal problem. Possible having a decent quality SSD with up to date drivers completely prevents it. Thinking it's probably more complicated than people had assumed, though.

im running on Windows 7, 64 bit, Intel I5 4950, with 16GB RAM and
Mushkin Triactor 240GB SATA 3.0 Solid State Drive (MKNSSDTR240GB-LT). and a brand new NVidia 1050TI
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2017-02-06 16:38:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Welcome to the world of zone crashes, my friend. You won't enjoy your stay. All you can do is never teleport, spread out your zoning and pray every time you zone into any event.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-02-06 16:53:33
Link | Quote | Reply

you can actually do a lot more than that, a 2 second sleep on the game thread solves zoning/drawin events nicely, but it seems like it's something system config can resolve since like i said i've been 1.5-2 years without seeing one while 12boxing
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-02-06 17:04:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Reddwarf said: »
im running on Windows 7, 64 bit, Intel I5 4950, with 16GB RAM and
Mushkin Triactor 240GB SATA 3.0 Solid State Drive (MKNSSDTR240GB-LT). and a brand new NVidia 1050TI

I've played XI on multiple systems with a wide variety of system specs and can confirm.. the best video card in the world doesn't help with the inherent issues in this game.

As matter of fact, frequently it's people on newer systems complaining about how the game plays.

I mean you want something decent even 500 series nVidia offers more than this game knows how to use, literally. I'm not at all saying you should downgrade, just that you're using a corvette to pull an upside down trailer.

SE had no interest when FFXI's team still had the means, and there's no means and no interest now.
 Lakshmi.Reddwarf
By Lakshmi.Reddwarf 2017-02-06 19:38:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Welcome to the world of zone crashes, my friend. You won't enjoy your stay. All you can do is never teleport, spread out your zoning and pray every time you zone into any event.

i played for 3months on Windows 10 w/o any Multizone crashing, as soon as i went back to windows 7, 3 in 1 night.
By ForteGSX 2017-02-06 19:46:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Byrth hit this right on the head. After multiboxing for several years I've learned that anything that causes you to load a zone simultaneously will cause this every so often. In reality the only thing you can do to never have this happen is to never zone all of your characters at one time. In the time that I've stopped teleporting all of them at the same time, I have yet to experience that type of crash.

Of course, when I do move them all at the same time I'm prepared to force close each windower instance at a time and hope that I get through it on the first try instead of the third one. Give it a try, next time you experience this type of crash open up task manager and manually end 1 POL.exe instance at a time and if you choose correctly the other ones should load without an issue with a redball above the chars that were going to disconnect due to a timeout.
By Jetackuu 2017-02-07 08:52:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like the best method for resolution is to fully sandbox each instance.