GAXE, Is It Worth Skilling?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » GAXE, is it worth skilling?
GAXE, is it worth skilling?
 Cerberus.Rayik
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Rayik
By Cerberus.Rayik 2009-09-21 06:21:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I've got scythe capped, and I was wondering if GAXE was worth skilling up for DRK? I've seen some nice g.axes that look like they would lend themselves nicely to DRK, but I'd like to get some opinions before I end up wasting time skilling a slow weapon.

I'm not looking for GAXE to beat scythe in the long term, since scythe is our main wep. Just wondering if it can put up some decent numbers and not get me laughed all the way back to the AH lol.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Server: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-09-21 06:26:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes! 2 words ok 4 words rune chopper and parade gorget (if no other refresh) u dont need that silly magic anyways
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-09-21 06:26:57
Link | Quote | Reply

On DRK? No, it's basically just a gimped version of GS. Only really good WS you get is Steel Cyclone which is, well, weaker than Spiral Hell even at 300 TP. Honestly the only reason you'd want to do that is if you were planning on leveling WAR.
[+]
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
Server: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2009-09-21 06:28:19
Link | Quote | Reply

ive seen rune chopper drks go nuts in zerg mode

but also seen kc drks/mkris drks do the same

its just swinging a gaxe at that speed looks insane
[+]
 Ifrit.Daemun
Server: Ifrit
user: daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2009-09-21 07:35:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Krazyrs said:
ive seen rune chopper drks go nuts in zerg mode

but also seen kc drks/mkris drks do the same

its just swinging a gaxe at that speed looks insane

After the haste nerf, this isn't even viable.

It's all about the low delay weaps w/ multiple attack rounds (Kclub, Mkris, lolBaha Scythe) Rune chopper DRK zerg is buried, much better options for relatively cheap.

Don't waste time lvl GAxe unless you plan on lvl WAR, then by all means please don't go axe/axe.
[+]
 Cerberus.Rayik
By Cerberus.Rayik 2009-09-21 07:41:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Heimdall said:
Yes! 2 words ok 4 words rune chopper and parade gorget (if no other refresh) u dont need that silly magic anyways

On the contrary, I make heavy use of my Dark magic. Unless I'm fighting Colibris, I am casting my heart out. I'm not planning on lvling WAR, I just like having some options and variety. I might skill it a little here and there, but looks like it's not going to be a priority. I have been eyeballing a Demon's Axe for the STR,INT and Dark Magic +6. Might be fun to solo with.
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-09-21 07:44:48
Link | Quote | Reply

DRKs don't get Raging Rush or Kings Justice, so you are stuck with the 'Break' WS, Sturmwind and the WSNM (Steel Syclone).

So your WS numbers will suck (although sturmwind could do some ok numbers), your base accuracy will be lower than using a scythe or great sword, so in normal situations it's just not very useful.

DRK does get access to the Perdu Voulge, which is the best non relic/mythic GA around, but due to the limitation listed above its not going to be that useful.

As mentioned the 'stand out' GA for DRK is the rune chopper due to the haste. With a DRKs MP pool you can get 9% haste (and 5 acc) for about 5 minutes before having to rest.

It is a cheap and reasonably effective zerg weapon. Although there are better options (any multi hit weapon, and a few other single hits will beat it)

Maybe in campaign with parade gorget, signet and plaston/ares you could use the rune chopper full time and use aspir to maintain 'spare' MP for casting dark magic. You should have capped accuracy with 240 skill (I know I do as RDM with daggers). Your WS wouldn't be great but your DoT should be good and your TP gain would be great (for /DNC).

But in campaign you should be able to reach the cap of exp/min (defined by your medal) with any weapon.

So skill it if you get bored, plan to level WAR or plan to use a rune chopper for zergs; otherwise its a bit of a waste of time.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-09-21 08:10:21
Link | Quote | Reply

GET TO THE CHOPPA!

Other than that, no.
 Cerberus.Rayik
By Cerberus.Rayik 2009-09-21 08:18:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't realize all the weapon skills DRK doesn't get, that makes GAXE even less appealing. Yep, gonna strictly be a "for fun" option on the side. Thanks for the input guys!
 Bahamut.Raelia
Server: Bahamut
user: Raelia
By Bahamut.Raelia 2009-09-21 11:34:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Shield Break is the best WS you can use from 1-59, as long as you're not fighting Bombs, Gigas, Ghosts, Sheep, Skeletons, or Tigers and keep Scythe capped. Turns any exp mob into the veritable broad side of the barn.
[+]
 Hades.Lobster
Server: Hades
user: Lobster
By Hades.Lobster 2009-09-21 13:09:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's 'useless.' I've used Rune Chopper with 3/5 Desperate Blows, Hasso, missing Homam Pants, using regular Swift Belt. With Haste and Marches, it still works as a decent zerg (provided your Skill is up to date), and let's face it, it's easier to access than M.kris and K.club. I was able to zerg the CoP Chapter 8 pots for a pickup group decently with Rune Chopper. I'd skill it if only for these reasons (being DRK):

1) Leveling WAR in the future.
2) Beat the boredom!
3) Last resort (pun) zerg

But you've got the right mindset ("just for fun") and that's what the game is really all about.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-09-21 13:13:25
Link | Quote | Reply

as a DRK...no. As a WAR... yes.

fixed
 Asura.Zekky
Server: Asura
user: Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-09-21 13:15:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Kungfuhustle said:
as a DRK...no. As a WAR... yes. As a PLD... maybe.

Wat?
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [43 days between previous and next post]
 Ifrit.Daemun
user: daemun
By Ifrit.Daemun 2009-11-03 15:30:31
Link | Quote | Reply

This
Asura.Zekky said:
Kungfuhustle said:
as a DRK...no. As a WAR... yes. As a PLD... maybe.

Wat?

This is referring to back in the day (which was a Wednesday btw) in which PLD had A- GA skill, and could effectively tank, and out DD all jobs in the game. WARs cried, GA skill disappeared from PLDs repertoire.

EDIT: Woot for the necro ><
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-03 15:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Fort Axe with DRK/WAR and a lot of DA gear would be great for Souleater Blood Weapon zergs ONLY if you don't have M.Kris/K.Club AND GA skilled up.

other than that, I don't see any reason why a DRK should level GA.

It would be faster/cheaper to buy a M.Kris than level GA and get a Fort Axe/DA gear.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-03 15:39:04
Link | Quote | Reply

What about those choppas with -delay augs eh? With 80% haste that would still be nice
By Volume 2009-11-19 21:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Heimdall said:

Isn't that 5 words?
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-19 21:52:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
What about those choppas with -delay augs eh? With 80% haste that would still be nice

Any -delay wouldn't effect DoT because you lose TP the more delay you lose.

Lose too much delay, and you are basically swinging an 2 handed axe with no sheild or ability to put another weapon if you /nin.

Try to build TP fast with 80% haste having 1 axe only lol.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-11-19 21:55:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Volume said:
Caitsith.Heimdall said:

Isn't that 5 words?
Actually I read it as 4 Swords rather than words, and all I could think of was:
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-19 21:57:37
Link | Quote | Reply

ACTIVATE THAT ACCOUNT!
By Volume 2009-11-19 22:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Korpg said:
ACTIVATE THAT ACCOUNT!
 Fenrir.Dascorp
user: dascorp
By Fenrir.Dascorp 2009-11-30 13:08:08
Link | Quote | Reply

If you are leveling drk, um great axe is your friend and use Sturmwind. When you get Rampage sub nin and dual wield until you Guillotine then use great sword on imps when you get spinning slash. All scythe ws suck *** till Guillotine.........
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-30 13:18:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Korpg said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Any -delay wouldn't effect DoT because you lose TP the more delay you lose.

Lose too much delay, and you are basically swinging an 2 handed axe with no sheild or ability to put another weapon if you /nin.

Try to build TP fast with 80% haste having 1 axe only lol.
Um it steals mp. It is not for normal fighting. Drk zerg. At which point all your arguments mean nothing.
 Fenrir.Dascorp
user: dascorp
By Fenrir.Dascorp 2009-11-30 13:31:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Also dont forget to get an axe belt at lv 30, when you sub war and use great axe.

Some more advice dont freaking use souleater in a party. That is why drks get a bad rep. If you do then wait till mob is almost dead and turn it on manually after you weapon skill. Guess what I used great axe and raped your lol drks with scythe till could use rampage, only switched at lv 60 to scythe.

It really depends on your gear what food you are using, and if you have any merits already... Full strength merits, full critical merits, and the fact that I have full great axe merits helped.
[+]
By Sierran 2009-12-11 09:13:33
Link | Quote | Reply

If you synce down to a lv 37 east ronfure pty then i hear its good to have GS leveled but you only need like 114 skill so easily skilled outside jeuno
 Carbuncle.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Server: Carbuncle
user: dameshi
By Carbuncle.Dameshi 2009-12-11 09:53:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Dascorp said:
All scythe ws suck *** till Guillotine.........

You don't like the completely random damage of Vorpal Scythe?!
[+]