users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Endgame/HNMLS's
Endgame/HNMLS's
 Carbuncle.Taintedone
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
By Carbuncle.Taintedone 2009-09-21 01:40:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Just out of curiosity, am I the only person that has seemed to notice an emerging trend with some so-called Endgame/HNMLS's? Not that it's anything new, mind you, just seems a bit more prevalent now I suppose. Here's my theory, and I'm not going to draw this out too much with specific examples of what I've seen/what I'm suspecting, I just wanted to see if anyone else had any thoughts on this. Basically, what I'm thinking is going on goes along the lines of this. SE announces FFXIV is coming out, is going to be an MMO, and, though they don't say it explicitly, there is a good chance if enough people lose interest in FFXI, it may just fizzle and die out. Enter X amount of "Endgame/HNM players".

"Hey guys, since FFXI may be dying off soon, the HNM/endgame scene is still going rather strongly, and it appears that people are still buying high level well geared accounts for decent money, why don't we start an LS, try to get what we can for our toons as quickly as we can? And then when we have build them up sufficiently with r/e gear, levels, jobs, the Sword of 1,000 Truths or whatever, let's say that we're "retiring" from the game and sell our accounts on one of the gil buying sites since we've put a lot of time and effort into this character and feel like we deserve some monetary return on it, even though we may be screwing people in our linkshell over in the process?" Now before the "he's just butt hurt", "cool story bro", or any rate downs commences, let me just clear up a few integral points right off the bat.

No, I have not been screwed over personally by any said linkshell under the stated above circumstances and am looking to rant/flame/whine, piss, and moan or any of that. I am merely stating some observations that I have personally seen and am curious as to if anyone else has seen anything similar, or am I hallucinating and coming up with conspiracy theories because it's 1:30 in the morning, I've got more work than I know what to do with that I should be doing instead right now, and I've slept a grand total of 6 hours in 3 days not counting the hour long nap I took this afternoon while reading an article discussing Japanese TPS strategies in manufacturing and how it relates to the supplier-manufacturer relationship?

No, I am not singling out any specific linkshell, on my server or any other. So before anyone posts "Well you must be talking about me/us, because we're an endgame/HNMLS rawr, rawr, rawr", no I'm not. See the paragraph above.

Anyways, back to my main point, what do you guys think?
[+]
 Hades.Clack
Server: Hades
user: cocl
By Hades.Clack 2009-09-21 02:56:21
Link | Quote | Reply

wahhhh
 Carbuncle.Taintedone
By Carbuncle.Taintedone 2009-09-21 03:00:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Clack said:
wahhhh

Pfft who the f*** is crying eh? Certainly not I since I haven't been affected at all by any such issues as I described, so you're post really doesn't hold any water....

Seriously, if all you want to do is troll and not contribute constructively to the discussion, I'm asking nicely for you to troll elsewhere.
[+]
 Hades.Clack
Server: Hades
user: cocl
By Hades.Clack 2009-09-21 03:08:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly I only read your first paragraph and decided I didn't want to read anymore. But if your asking for something constructive, your speculation could in fact be correct. I'm sure that there are people that do that and I'm sure that there aren't. I personally haven't seen any of that going on in the manner you described it.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Kurosawa
user: Kurosawa
By Carbuncle.Kurosawa 2009-09-25 16:55:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Taintedone said:
Just out of curiosity, am I the only person that has seemed to notice an emerging trend with some so-called Endgame/HNMLS's? Not that it's anything new, mind you, just seems a bit more prevalent now I suppose. Here's my theory, and I'm not going to draw this out too much with specific examples of what I've seen/what I'm suspecting, I just wanted to see if anyone else had any thoughts on this. Basically, what I'm thinking is going on goes along the lines of this. SE announces FFXIV is coming out, is going to be an MMO, and, though they don't say it explicitly, there is a good chance if enough people lose interest in FFXI, it may just fizzle and die out. Enter X amount of "Endgame/HNM players".

"Hey guys, since FFXI may be dying off soon, the HNM/endgame scene is still going rather strongly, and it appears that people are still buying high level well geared accounts for decent money, why don't we start an LS, try to get what we can for our toons as quickly as we can? And then when we have build them up sufficiently with r/e gear, levels, jobs, the Sword of 1,000 Truths or whatever, let's say that we're "retiring" from the game and sell our accounts on one of the gil buying sites since we've put a lot of time and effort into this character and feel like we deserve some monetary return on it, even though we may be screwing people in our linkshell over in the process?" Now before the "he's just butt hurt", "cool story bro", or any rate downs commences, let me just clear up a few integral points right off the bat.

No, I have not been screwed over personally by any said linkshell under the stated above circumstances and am looking to rant/flame/whine, piss, and moan or any of that. I am merely stating some observations that I have personally seen and am curious as to if anyone else has seen anything similar, or am I hallucinating and coming up with conspiracy theories because it's 1:30 in the morning, I've got more work than I know what to do with that I should be doing instead right now, and I've slept a grand total of 6 hours in 3 days not counting the hour long nap I took this afternoon while reading an article discussing Japanese TPS strategies in manufacturing and how it relates to the supplier-manufacturer relationship?

No, I am not singling out any specific linkshell, on my server or any other. So before anyone posts "Well you must be talking about me/us, because we're an endgame/HNMLS rawr, rawr, rawr", no I'm not. See the paragraph above.

Anyways, back to my main point, what do you guys think?

Hasn't this been the MO for HNMLS leaders for years now? I've heard of accounts being sold for thousands of dollars, of people spending substantial RL money on bot programs, etc, and selling gil and in game items for some pretty serious cash.

I don't know any of this first hand as I haven't ever been part of that scene, but that is what I've always heard...or is it exaggerated?

I guess you can never have a completely clean MMO.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2009-09-25 17:05:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I think there have always been people with this as a goal. But as for it becoming more prevalent, i don't think so. The price of FFXI accounts has gone into a death spiral. If you were going to put in the effort to build up and sell a character for profit, there's really no worse time to do it than now.

It's possible that what you are seeing is a lot of HNMLS leaders without previous plans to sell their account seeing the drop in prices and realizing that if they want any money at all for their accounts, it's now or never.
[+]
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-09-25 17:07:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Buy'em cheap and flip a ***! Add a baby, ***.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Aliceisback
By Carbuncle.Aliceisback 2009-09-25 17:11:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Taintedone said:

Hey guys, I'm just butt hurt
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2009-09-25 17:12:04
Link | Quote | Reply

how insightful
[+]
 Carbuncle.Heithem
user: Heithem
By Carbuncle.Heithem 2009-09-26 06:55:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Aliceisback said:
Hi Guys, This sounds Like a good idea. I'm gonna Smn burn the rest of my job's to 75 and sell out.

Yay!. Alice came out to give us some of his uber wisdom. Really kid

If you don't have more creativity then saying taint's butt hurts,
(Which I find it funny your always interested in butts)
Then you need to Stfu, Go take your Ritalin, get back on your short bus and go to school.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Heithem
user: Heithem
By Carbuncle.Heithem 2009-09-26 07:25:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Kurosawa said:

Hasn't this been the MO for HNMLS leaders for years now? I've heard of accounts being sold for thousands of dollars, of people spending substantial RL money on bot programs, etc, and selling gil and in game items for some pretty serious cash.

I don't know any of this first hand as I haven't ever been part of that scene, but that is what I've always heard...or is it exaggerated?

I guess you can never have a completely clean MMO.

I can't say that is goal of all ppl that decide to start HMNLS's There are honest people that just really wanna get everything out of this game.
the inherent problem with killing all the hardest mobs in the game is eventually you'll get bored with it and then what's left to do. this is probably the biggest motivating factor in selling out.

"Your experience may change during online play" is the biggest part of the
disclaimer of the game. It's all about who you wanna play with. I know it's hard to tell who is being honest in their intentions in an online game.
But I feel I can trust the ppl in my sky shell. we all are professional people, avg age in my shell is about 27, a lot of former and current military. So we all have like mindsets.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-09-26 07:56:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats why you don't bother joining "new" Linkshells because about 95% of the time, they WILL sell you out.

Although its very very rare (like getting 2 K.Ores in a row in Mount Z), Endgame LSs that have been around for years would do this also, but you can place your money that they won't.

And those who do are usually those without morals anyway.
 Carbuncle.Taintedone
By Carbuncle.Taintedone 2009-09-26 10:04:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Aliceisback said:
Taintedone said:

Hey guys, I'm just butt hurt

/applaud.

That is hands down the most incoherent thing I've read all day. Well played moron.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-09-26 10:14:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I can make more incoherent things if you want.....even though I'm not the one you are talking about.....