MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2017-01-16 11:44:25
Link | Quote | Reply

The old PLD guide still works:

http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Shattering_Stars/Paladin

http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Shattering_Stars
By fillerbunny9 2017-01-16 11:47:13
Link | Quote | Reply

rather than beating their head against the wall, if they can complete A Land After Time mission of Rhapsodies of Van'diel, they get access to Escha Zi'Tah and Rhapsody in Umber KI. with that KI they can now use Trusts > yawn through fight since you have a healer and support.

barring that, ye olde Sleeping pot + Opo Opo neck, Sentinel, Invincible, Shield Bash (a good stun can get a Cure off in desperate times), Regen from Pamama or Dragonfruit Au Lait, food, etc are all helpful. gear wise, it has been a long time, so gearing for DD is probably his best bet - Scorpion Harness or Haubergeon, Spike Earrings, etc. AF offers some extra Defense, HP, and magic skills, but Maat is usually a race to the finish, not a battle to outlast. if they can get armor like Sipahi, or maybe Fourth Division armor it might help too.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Martel 2017-01-16 13:51:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Such Nostalgia...

I can't recall if Maat is evasive. The first priority should be to ensure capped hit rate. which should be pretty easy with Sushi. I'd parse or log a test run to get an acc value.

If acc is ok before food, then maybe something like Rabbit Pie. +25% atk/def capped at +100. Not sure a lvl 70 could hit that cap though.

The linked guide makes a good point about Joyeuse. That'd make a pretty big difference. But that's potentially a lot of camping, and he'd need help with Charybdis. I don't think a lvl 70+ trusts could take him.

Bring an Icarus wing. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any worthwhile self SC with sword at that level.

If he does pick up a Joyeuse, Bring a company sword anyway. Start with the company sword, and sleep TP, WS, Wing, WS, then swap to Joyeuse. Company sword has a 11 dmg advantage(like 24% dif in wep dmg) over joy, and Joy's OAT doesn't apply to WS. So you can pump up those first 2 WS this way.

Maybe refresh drinks if MP has been an issue. Vile elixir/+1. I think I'd avoid high elixirs, they take a really long time to use.

Use reprisal as soon as the initial sentinel wears. Recast anytime invincible isn't up.

A possibly interesting thought. Adoubeur's Pavise. Shield mastery +1, on the old TP scale. So +10 TP per block these days. The issue being it's a size one shield, so there's going to be a loss in dmg reduction on block, but there should be some gain in block rate. But still, this would increase TP gain, to push out more WS faster.

I'd have to look through what's available to a lvl 70 PLD for any more specific gearing advice.
By Zephin 2017-01-16 16:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Another neat trick is to go 100 exp to lvl 70, and have an exp scroll on you. Nice full cure mid fight on top of vile's.
 Bismarck.Phaded
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2017-01-16 19:59:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Opo-Opo Necklace + Sleep potions would help. I believe I popped Invincible followed by 300 TP Spirit's Within to open and knock a huge chunk of HP off.