Forum » Windower » Support » Multimonitor and Windower Crash
Multimonitor and Windower Crash
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2016-12-20 16:34:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I recently moved to a GTX 1070 and decided to connect my 1080p Plasma TV to my PC.
I have Windows 10 multimonitor option set to "clone screen".
Now whenever I turn on or off the Plasma TV, Windows makes the "new peripheral detected" sound, and POL crashes.

Anybody know how I can solve this?
 Asura.Wormfeeder
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2016-12-20 16:53:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Try using a display port
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-12-20 16:57:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
I recently moved to a GTX 1070 and decided to connect my 1080p Plasma TV to my PC.
Now whenever I turn on or off the Plasma TV, Windows makes the "new peripheral detected" sound, and POL crashes.

Effectively what you're doing by turning the TV off is disconnecting the "monitor" since I suspect your TV doesn't have a suspend mode. The GPU can no longer detect a signal or connection to the monitor and thus is treating it as being disconnected altogether, which windows then reacts to by adjusting your display settings, and any change in display settings (including an app going in to fullscreen, in most cases) will cause XI to crash.
 Asura.Extract
user: deezydabs
By Asura.Extract 2016-12-20 16:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol Plasma hooked up to a PC you're asking for a image burnt into it have fun with that.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-12-20 18:04:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Either change the connection to where it isn't disconnecting the display when it is turned off like otherwise mentioned or run the game in a VMware VM as you can lock the display settings and even if the display is disconnected in the host OS the guest OS won't detect any change and won't lose directx fullscreen.

Asura.Extract said: »
Lol Plasma hooked up to a PC you're asking for a image burnt into it have fun with that.

Depending on the content it could be fine, I'd do it for movies or something that doesn't have any long term stills, XI is not one of those things for sure.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-12-20 18:18:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Wormfeeder said: »
Try using a display port
Doubt that would change anything if what the others said is true.

So basically I have no way to "lock" my display settings without resorting to virtualization tools.
I was hoping for some advanced option somewhere that would disable the peripheral detect thing on that specific HDMI port =/

Guess I will really have to keep the cable unplugged unless I plan to use it then.
 Ragnarok.Littleanimal
Server: Ragnarok
user: Beanie
By Ragnarok.Littleanimal 2016-12-20 18:19:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you have window's 10 running on a dual screen set up before? I know that win10 will cause the game to crash even if in borderless window and alt tabbed. Two friends of mine have dual monitors but one has win 7 and the other has win 10. When ever my Win 10 friend changes screens to play something else ff11 will still crash even though it has it's own screen and isn't alt tabbed, while my win 7 friend has no issues at all.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-12-20 18:28:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe I have to set some compatibility option for POL/Windower and that would do the trick? But I doubt it.
 Ragnarok.Littleanimal
Server: Ragnarok
user: Beanie
By Ragnarok.Littleanimal 2016-12-20 19:22:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The only suggestion I might have is to go to your Nvida control panel > manage 3d settings > select ff11 through the program settings > Power management mode > prefer maximum performance. It could be that since ff11 requires such little power to run on a high end card that it's underpowering the game, and when it requires more power it's just shutting right off. Thats just one guess anyway, it's worth a try.
 Asura.Crevox
user: Crevox
By Asura.Crevox 2016-12-20 19:28:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I have 3 monitors. This happens if I turn off my 4k monitor, but NOT when I turn off the other two.

I think it just has something to do with how the monitor communicates with windows or something.
By Jetackuu 2016-12-20 19:43:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Littleanimal said: »
Did you have window's 10 running on a dual screen set up before? I know that win10 will cause the game to crash even if in borderless window and alt tabbed. Two friends of mine have dual monitors but one has win 7 and the other has win 10. When ever my Win 10 friend changes screens to play something else ff11 will still crash even though it has it's own screen and isn't alt tabbed, while my win 7 friend has no issues at all.
Yeah no, that has to do with their config, not the OS.

Maybe I have to set some compatibility option for POL/Windower and that would do the trick? But I doubt it.

No.

The only suggestion I might have is to go to your Nvida control panel > manage 3d settings > select ff11 through the program settings > Power management mode > prefer maximum performance. It could be that since ff11 requires such little power to run on a high end card that it's underpowering the game, and when it requires more power it's just shutting right off. Thats just one guess anyway, it's worth a try.

No.

Asura.Crevox said: »
I have 3 monitors. This happens if I turn off my 4k monitor, but NOT when I turn off the other two.

I think it just has something to do with how the monitor communicates with windows or something.

It's the monitor, or rather a feature in the monitor and connection type. If the display has vga or dvi then use it and you won't have the issue, if you want to use hdmi/DP then you will need to get/make an adapter that basically disables the function in the pinout, I could spend a few more minutes looking at it to try to find a product that will resolve it but I'll have to do it tomorrow. To me running the game in a VM completely resolves all resolution/loss of fullscreen issues and I prefer to run it in that mode anyway.
 Asura.Crevox
user: Crevox
By Asura.Crevox 2016-12-20 23:24:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
if you want to use hdmi/DP then you will need to get/make an adapter that basically disables the function in the pinout,

One of the monitors is HDMI and it doesn't cause the issue, I guess it's just a lucky one or something in that case.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-12-21 01:17:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Like Prothescar said, I think anything that affects display settings in any way will make a full screen Windower crash no matter what.

When you plugin or plugout a monitor, it's exactely what happens. Windows 10 tries to adjust/refresh display settings, and that's what causes the crash.

I doubt it's got anything to do with power =/

@Jetackuu
If you can find any product solving this issue I'll be glad to hear what you can come up with!
Are you really sure there's nothing we can do in the advanced settings of Windows to avoid this thing?
(on FFXI I always used to get similar issues whenever I tried to access Task Manager with alt+ctrl+canc or when I pressed the Windows key)

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By geigei 2016-12-21 03:29:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been stuck with this problem for years, is not tv problem, not graphic card or windows, is all windower fault, since i swapped to ashita no more crash.
[+]
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2016-12-21 04:09:44
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem is Display Port acts as a Plug and Play device and so does HDMI if the manufacturer decided to include it. On DP its 100% enforced on HDMI its an option for the maker, yours obviously has it...

This isn't windower bug, it effects a lot of other older games including vanilla FFXI. I'm guessing if Ashita doesn't crash they did some kind of fix or just the way they were hooking already was good to go.

A lot of people have complained to NVidia for years to have an override settings that tells it that it(monitor) that it always connected for their normal line of GFX Cards. There Quadro line of cards control panel have had this option for years. (Its really a custom config profile that you get to set.)

AMD Cards have had it for years.

The one solution for consumer grade Nvidia users is a device like this http://monitordetectkiller.com/

Here some complaints but there are many more threads about it on nvidia site: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/853181/hdmi-screen-hot-plug-detection-please-allow-us-to-disable-edid-/
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2016-12-21 04:36:18
Link | Quote | Reply

That's a nice little tool there, bit too expensive but cool nonetheless.
Thanks for sharing Chiaia.
 Cerberus.Drayco
Server: Cerberus
user: Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2016-12-21 06:40:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Extract said: »

I did this for a while. I had a permanent party HP bar in the lower right corner for a very long time. Gaming on plasma in general is bad, PC or console.
By Jetackuu 2016-12-21 09:27:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Crevox said: »
Quote:
if you want to use hdmi/DP then you will need to get/make an adapter that basically disables the function in the pinout,

One of the monitors is HDMI and it doesn't cause the issue, I guess it's just a lucky one or something in that case.

Then the monitor obviously doesn't have the feature.
By Jetackuu 2016-12-21 09:31:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Like Prothescar said, I think anything that affects display settings in any way will make a full screen Windower crash no matter what.

When you plugin or plugout a monitor, it's exactely what happens. Windows 10 tries to adjust/refresh display settings, and that's what causes the crash.

I doubt it's got anything to do with power =/

@Jetackuu
If you can find any product solving this issue I'll be glad to hear what you can come up with!
Are you really sure there's nothing we can do in the advanced settings of Windows to avoid this thing?
(on FFXI I always used to get similar issues whenever I tried to access Task Manager with alt+ctrl+canc or when I pressed the Windows key)

Anything and everything you do that affects directx fullscreen will cause FFXI/POL to crash regardless of settings or third party tools.

As for something you can do in Windows: no, it's a monitor issue, the only thing you could do is isolate the game in a virtualized instance.

geigei said: »
I've been stuck with this problem for years, is not tv problem, not graphic card or windows, is all windower fault, since i swapped to ashita no more crash.
yeah, that's flat out wrong there.