Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Dual Boxing w/ Gamepad
Dual Boxing w/ Gamepad
 Asura.Lilbuttons
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Rathz
By Asura.Lilbuttons 2016-12-04 10:05:21
Link | Quote | Reply

So my old controller farted out on me, had no problems with it. New one is an Afterglow PS3 Controller (Bought here) and the box says it works for PC. Got it all setup through FFXiPadConfig, and when only playing ONE character it works completely fine. But when I load another FFXI it controls both at the same time. I have "Enable gamepad when game is inactive" unchecked in Padconfig, though I have also tried it with it checked. Have used both ashita and windower and it's the same issue both times. Have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, no dice.

At a complete loss atm, really just repeating my steps over and over again at this point.

tl;dr: 1 controller is controlling two game instances at the same time, can't figure out why.
By geigei 2016-12-04 11:35:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats what i'm actually after, controlling both with one controller, tell me more plz.
 Quetzalcoatl.Haxxor
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Haxxor
By Quetzalcoatl.Haxxor 2016-12-04 12:39:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Google "ffxi switch monitor". Using the start button to toggle. Fixes the weird input issues to multiple instances, like scrolling crazy fast on main menu, wtf
 Bahamut.Neb
Server: Bahamut
user: Neb
By Bahamut.Neb 2016-12-04 12:45:53
Link | Quote | Reply

You might also need Autohotkey google the setting for that as well I found them somewhere way back when when I set up my controller for boxing.
By Jetackuu 2016-12-04 15:37:46
Link | Quote | Reply

It should be working without any assistance. It's acting as though both are in focus and that is strange. Does it do it to the keyboard as well or just the knockoff gamepad?

edit: I'd say go to the store and get yourself a Logitech F310, make sure you don't pay too much for it (had to have a store price match it for me before) and you may go through a few, but they work well.
By Calinari 2016-12-04 16:05:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Haxxor said: »
Google "ffxi switch monitor". Using the start button to toggle. Fixes the weird input issues to multiple instances, like scrolling crazy fast on main menu, wtf

That's what I use when 2boxing, it keeps one screen "in focus" so that both games aren't used at the same time.

Jetackuu said: »
I'd say go to the store and get yourself a Logitech F310, make sure you don't pay too much for it (had to have a store price match it for me before) and you may go through a few, but they work well.

Logitech 310s suck u_u it's what I have but they fail every 6 months like *** clockwork. The left dpad button then the A button. Terrible.
By Jetackuu 2016-12-04 18:01:04
Link | Quote | Reply

To each their own, honestly I've never had a problem with either of those buttons. I also used to multibox with one controller and multiple instances with no issues. Granted I like having a controller assigned to each more, but that can get annoying.
 Asura.Lilbuttons
By Asura.Lilbuttons 2016-12-04 18:38:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Haxxor said: »

That isn't solving my "both characters controlled at the same time" issue. It happens even if both windows are unfocused.

It should be working without any assistance. It's acting as though both are in focus and that is strange. Does it do it to the keyboard as well or just the knockoff gamepad?

edit: I'd say go to the store and get yourself a Logitech F310, make sure you don't pay too much for it (had to have a store price match it for me before) and you may go through a few, but they work well.

Only happens with the gamepad, keyboard inputs are fine. This is the only gamepad they had, really just a temp one until the ones I ordered online come in.
By Jetackuu 2016-12-04 18:49:47
Link | Quote | Reply

You may be SOL until your otherone comes in. By chance what type of controller does it show up as in Windows?
 Asura.Lilbuttons
By Asura.Lilbuttons 2016-12-04 19:04:36
Link | Quote | Reply

You may be SOL until your otherone comes in. By chance what type of controller does it show up as in Windows?

Xbox 360 controller. Which, from what i've read online, is normal and is the way you want it to be.
By Jetackuu 2016-12-04 19:08:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Well for the past year, sure. I mean you could attempt at using a custom driver in that case, but it's probably best not to *** with it if your others will be in soon. Would potentially just cause more of a headache.
 Bahamut.Evovenom
Server: Bahamut
user: evovenom
By Bahamut.Evovenom 2016-12-04 19:22:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lilbuttons said: »
So my old controller farted out on me, had no problems with it. New one is an Afterglow PS3 Controller (Bought here) and the box says it works for PC. Got it all setup through FFXiPadConfig, and when only playing ONE character it works completely fine. But when I load another FFXI it controls both at the same time. I have "Enable gamepad when game is inactive" unchecked in Padconfig, though I have also tried it with it checked. Have used both ashita and windower and it's the same issue both times. Have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, no dice.

At a complete loss atm, really just repeating my steps over and over again at this point.

I ran into this issue and it's because you are using two windower

tl;dr: 1 controller is controlling two game instances at the same time, can't figure out why.

That's the problem me'boy!
Official windower + Windower is the only way (That I know)
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2016-12-04 21:50:58
Link | Quote | Reply

That's odd. I had that issue with trying to run FFXI and FFXIV at the same time, but not dual boxing FFXI. AutoHotkey is great. You can set it so that an unused gamepad button, like Select, with toggle between your different FFXI instances.
 Asura.Lilbuttons
By Asura.Lilbuttons 2016-12-04 22:16:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Evovenom said: »

That's the problem me'boy!
Official windower + Windower is the only way (That I know)

But I've had no problem doing it with my old controller with windower+windower. Also, i've tried using ashita and windower and it didn't work either.

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
That's odd. I had that issue with trying to run FFXI and FFXIV at the same time, but not dual boxing FFXI. AutoHotkey is great. You can set it so that an unused gamepad button, like Select, with toggle between your different FFXI instances.

Switching between screens isn't the issue. I use FFXI Switch Monitor for that. The problem is that even with my games (or one game) unfocused the controller still controls both games (or the one I have open) despite having "enable gamepad when game is inactive" unselected in the config tool
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-12-04 23:09:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Related question I guess--

Anyone know if there's an autohotkey to flip that toggle on in FFXI so that you can simultaneously control multiple characters?

Probably not but worth a shot.

(I really hate doing the same npc interactions on multiple characters)
 Asura.Krystela
By Asura.Krystela 2016-12-05 02:33:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lilbuttons said: »

It may make you feel better... or not but, it always did this for me, like since FFXIV launched. I have an afterglowed xbox one, but it was also doing it with my ol' regular xbox 360 controller.

So good news? It's not your controller. Bad news? I never found a fix either. It's an issue on FFXI windower end.

Nvm, I thought the OP meant 2 instance, one of FFXI, one of FFXIV.

I dualbox right now and use an afterglowed Xbox one controller but I use 2 different windower setting when I do so. (Like my second char will be a lower res ect)
 Asura.Lilbuttons
By Asura.Lilbuttons 2016-12-05 04:06:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea it's definitely something to do with my controller since I've used multiple clients (and different ones at the same time), as well as since I can use keyboard perfectly fine
 Asura.Lilbuttons
By Asura.Lilbuttons 2016-12-05 12:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Update: Disabled HAT switches in PadConfig and now when neither game is focused, it doesn't control either characters... but when I focus one game it starts to control both.. What in the flying ***.

Further update: Forced Windower to connect to a different .exe launcher (which was actually to a seperate private server completely) and it still is controlling both at the same time when one is focused. Did this to see if maybe it was an issue with controller seeing two "pol.exe" of the same type being used so it controlled both instead of one.
[+]
 Sylph.Zangdar
Server: Sylph
user: Zangdar
By Sylph.Zangdar 2017-01-03 15:04:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I just reinstalled game and i got the same duplication problem will dualboxing have got a fix now?

edit: Fixed just deleted "xinputdll.dll" then it now work fine.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [525 days between previous and next post]
By ritsukka 2018-06-13 00:34:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Where's that file at? in the game folder or windows
show me the location.
By Jetackuu 2018-06-13 01:02:08
Link | Quote | Reply

ritsukka said: »
Where's that file at? in the game folder or windows
show me the location.
Yeah don't do that. Are you having the problem where the controller is controller a tabbed instance? If you use Windower just uncheck "Always Enable Gamepad" under the "Game" tab of Windower settings.

If you don't the same option is in your FFXI Config.
[+]
By ritsukka 2018-06-13 03:46:35
Link | Quote | Reply

thanks that worked inside windower. Didnt know they added that option
By Jetackuu 2018-06-13 10:32:07
Link | Quote | Reply

ritsukka said: »
thanks that worked inside windower. Didnt know they added that option

It was added a few months back after some updates.