Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2016-11-27 12:35:45
Link | Quote | Reply

tl/dr version of my issue:
-Game crashed
-Attempted to relog in
-From transition from POL to XI, the game would crash. No plugins had a chance to load, just as soon as it would attempt to start up XI, it would give a white screen and crash. (Running as admin)
-No crash report given.

-Did a file scan/repair in XI. Didn't help.
-Vanilla XI works fine.
-Uninstalled windower.
-Attempted to reinstall windower, but during reinstall from my old .exe, it was missing the hook.dll somehow, making windower crash between the green windower box to POL.
-Went to windower.net, to find the site is down; can't redownload.

So, I suppose there's a few things now:
1. Any idea what would be causing the POL -> XI crash so if it happens with a redownload, I can attempt to work around and hopefully fix it?
2. I attempted to find a mirror for a new windower download since the site is down in order to reinstall it with no luck, anyone know somewhere I can download it and/or the hook.dll?
3. Windower site is down :(
 Ragnarok.Slyshen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Slyshen1
By Ragnarok.Slyshen 2016-11-27 14:00:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I know this may sound crazy, but have you restarted your computer?
By Jetackuu 2016-11-27 14:25:15
Link | Quote | Reply

The initial crash could be a lot of stuff, most likely a change on your system. Which windows are you running?

The site's down for me too, interesting.
By Miang 2016-11-27 14:56:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I had a weird issue with windower when I installed FFXI on my laptop recently. It was crashing the moment FFXI was meant to load after POL. The solution for me was to install windower outside of the Program Files/ folder, so install it to something like C:\Windower4 instead. No idea why that fixed it, someone suggested windows 10 had some sort of elevated security when the program was in program files maybe.

Anyway this is all moot until the windower website is back up.
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2016-11-27 15:21:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Slyshen said: »
I know this may sound crazy, but have you restarted your computer?

Yes.

Jetackuu said: »
The initial crash could be a lot of stuff, most likely a change on your system. Which windows are you running?

Win 10. As fas as I am aware, nothing, system-wise, had changed. I was in the middle of a WotG mission on my alt, game crashed, and I wasn't able to get back into the game on windower. I know there are some CSs that require vanilla XI, but never had it caused windower to stop working entirely for me when I ran into on on my main.

Miang said: »
I had a weird issue with windower when I installed FFXI on my laptop recently. It was crashing the moment FFXI was meant to load after POL. The solution for me was to install windower outside of the Program Files/ folder, so install it to something like C:\Windower4 instead. No idea why that fixed it, someone suggested windows 10 had some sort of elevated security when the program was in program files maybe.

Anyway this is all moot until the windower website is back up.

I'll try that, but as you said above.
 Phoenix.Thorbean
Server: Phoenix
user: Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2016-11-27 16:36:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Disable the opening cutscene.
By Jetackuu 2016-11-27 16:50:07
Link | Quote | Reply

By chance did you run vanilla to finish the c/s then go back to launching from windower?
 Phoenix.Thorbean
Server: Phoenix
user: Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2016-11-27 16:55:34
Link | Quote | Reply

No, I just disabled it using the FFXI config.
By Jetackuu 2016-11-27 17:03:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Just for shits and giggles go ahead and run the config again and double check your resolution settings.
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2016-11-27 17:08:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Thorbean said: »
Disable the opening cutscene.

Had it such

By chance did you run vanilla to finish the c/s then go back to launching from windower?

Yes. After the CS, I tried reopening on windower. Same outcome where it wouldn't allow it to go over to FFXI client from POL

Just for shits and giggles go ahead and run the config again and double check your resolution settings.

Resolution settings are the same as I've had them.
By Jetackuu 2016-11-27 17:18:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Jiko said: »
Yes. After the CS, I tried reopening on windower. Same outcome where it wouldn't allow it to go over to FFXI client from POL

Not what I meant. What I meant was after the crash and before relaunching in windower, did you open in vanilla?

are they the same as your windower settings? (they should be overwritten).
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2016-11-27 17:41:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Not what I meant. What I meant was after the crash and before relaunching in windower, did you open in vanilla?

are they the same as your windower settings? (they should be overwritten).

In order: In-game crash -> Relaunched windower -> Crash going from POL to XI -> Retried windower -> Same crash -> Launched vanilla XI -> Ran game for about 5-10 minutes in Vanilla -> logged out -> Relaunched windower -> Same crash.

So to answer your question, yes.

I'll recheck resolution and confirm in a sec.
-----
windower.net is back up. Redownloaded and now have the hook back. Going to retry.
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2016-11-27 17:51:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Resolutions are the same, yes. The weird thing is that config keeps changing from windowed mode to full screen mode when I try and use windower. I haven't paid attention to that part before, so not sure if that is supposed to happen. Irrespective, it keeps crashing at that same point after redownload.
By Jetackuu 2016-11-27 18:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

First things I'd try are either a system restore and/or checking to see if any updates/drivers came down in the time frame.

Unfortunately you're not the only one who's had the issue, also unfortunately I've only seen a few manage to resolve it without a full wipe. I know one guy had a resolution issue with Vanilla, but I don't recall much about it as it has been some time.

I've never ran into the issue myself, and I don't use 10, sorry.
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2016-11-27 18:27:54
Link | Quote | Reply

By full wipe, you mean full reinstall of XI?
By Jetackuu 2016-11-27 18:30:19
Link | Quote | Reply

By full wipe, you mean full reinstall of XI?
No. Well yes it would require that but I mean a reformat.
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2016-11-27 19:14:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I did a system restore of about 2 weeks ago, and it seemed to correct the issue. I couldn't find any changes, minus 5 days ago; a Lenovo update (Which had no affect on this until last night.)

Hopefully it says this way ._.;
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-11-28 11:40:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting, I'd check your pending updates and watch them closely, especially drivers. Good to hear.
By RolandJ 2016-11-28 12:13:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting, I'd check your pending updates and watch them closely, especially drivers. Good to hear.

I don't these issues will be the culprits. I had the same symptoms appear after the same action as the OP; that is, after running the official client for the first time on a system that had been successfully running FFXI under windower previous to this.

Here is the topic I created when this was happening. http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/49842/windower-crashing-after-using-official-client/

It looks like the registry settings or something else related to ffxi's, not windower's, settings got corrupted and was unable to be corrected by merely overwriting said settings by altering the settings and saving them. I say this since in both instances re-installing FFXI solved it and the main thing that is accomplished by reinstalling is having the registry settings reverted to default & pristine condition. I also kept the same windower directory which is why I excluded windower's settings from being a potential issue.

In my case I even copied my entire old FFXI folder back ontop of the new installation in order to restore my macro/map markers. That means that everything was the same except the registry entries, as they aren't stored in the FFXI directories, which means that afaik the registry values were the only major variable that had been changed.
By Jetackuu 2016-11-28 12:16:36
Link | Quote | Reply

He had the issue before running Vanilla, according to what is listed above. Hence why I inquired about it.
By RolandJ 2016-11-28 12:32:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Win 10. As fas as I am aware, nothing, system-wise, had changed. I was in the middle of a WotG mission on my alt, game crashed, and I wasn't able to get back into the game on windower. I know there are some CSs that require vanilla XI, but never had it caused windower to stop working entirely for me when I ran into on on my main.

It sounds like he was running windower sucessfully prior to this to me. That is what he is saying here as far as I can tell.

Sounds like he was on windower prior to the CS, then he jumped on the official client to pass the cutscene, and then tried returning to windower, which is when he was presented with the new crashing issue.
 Lakshmi.Tubal
Server: Lakshmi
user: Tubal
By Lakshmi.Tubal 2016-11-28 12:36:12
Link | Quote | Reply

There are a few threads in the forums relating to this exact issue. It happened to me after I switched to Win10. After weeks of reading related threads without a valid resolution the only fix was to get rid of Win10. Back to 8.1, no further issues with crashes.
By Jetackuu 2016-11-28 12:36:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Except he literally said he tried opening it in Windower right after the initial crash. Hence the line of questioning in the first place.

But you could ask him if you want.
By RolandJ 2016-11-28 12:41:20
Link | Quote | Reply

It seems to me that you're right the more I read what he said.

In that case maybe it's the cutscene that corrupted something? I didn't try reopening windower after the cutscene; I switched directly to the official client in order to get past the cutscene instead. Maybe, had I tried to run windower after the cutscene crash, I might have been presented with a crash too. /shrug, it's too late to tell now for me.

What I can assist with verifying, though, is that this very same cutscene's crash > jump to official client > return to windower, on an earlier character, didn't give me an issue when I tried it on my other PC last year while running Windows 7. Windows 10 seems to be the biggest variable that has changed in my case since that occurrence. The specific cutscene that I was doing was the one for A Shantotto Ascension in Gustav Tunnel. I recieved a black screen at what was, as far as I can tell, the end of the cutscene that you get after clicking the ??? again after killing the three ninja enemies. It was at this point that I switched to the official client.
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2016-11-28 20:08:22
Link | Quote | Reply

The only reason I attempted to reopen windower was because I'm used to random r0/DCing. I completely forgot about needing to do Vanilla XI for some CSs since I havent done them in years, therefore, I just tried relogging in. I suppose it's possible that that CS is what caused this whole issue, but I'm not a dev, I can only speculate.