Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » P&R Election Day 2016 Special
P&R Election Day 2016 Special
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25
 Sylph.Cherche
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-11-09 21:49:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno man, I don't recall any occasion where letting racist run rampant ever ended well.

Let's see... the Holocaust is a pretty big one. Slavery, lynching and segregation. American natives genocide. 'Colonization' in general...
By fonewear 2016-11-09 21:52:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm tempted to post the crazy stuff on my Facebook feed I thought this was the only irrational website I visit. But man I need new Facebook friends !

This woman is actually mourning like she lost a loved one. Like she personally knows Hillary. And admits to crying ? Our people that weak. How do they manage to get through a day of life ?
[+]
By fonewear 2016-11-09 21:52:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Are *
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-11-09 21:58:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Our people that weak.

Would have been more effective and reflective as a statement, though you were making a rhetorical.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-11-09 22:03:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think I would admit to crying to facebook friends that seems like something you tell your therapist about.

I guess if you give a man/woman a keyboard they will tell you everything you didn't want to hear.
By fonewear 2016-11-09 22:06:24
Link | Quote | Reply

"An unexamined life isn't worth living" Socrates.

An over examined life costs you 30 dollars and hour by a guy that couldn't make it into medical school. Me !
[+]
 Phoenix.Thorbean
Server: Phoenix
user: Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2016-11-09 22:21:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Cherche said: »
I dunno man, I don't recall any occasion where letting racist run rampant ever ended well.

Let's see... the Holocaust is a pretty big one. Slavery, lynching and segregation. American natives genocide. 'Colonization' in general...

I agree, but you can't stop it by hiding it from view. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.
[+]
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-11-09 22:35:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I know racist exist, I'd rather shut them down before a situation erupts in either direction.

I'm a raging ***, but I don't relish in the loss of human life.

Unchecked bigotry towards race, religion,gendrr or sexual orientation has literally never ended well. There is absolutely no instance in any bit of history I've read that had a good outcome.
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-11-09 22:36:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Unchecked bigotry of the genocidal/complete subjugation variety*
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-11-09 22:44:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Unchecked bigotry towards race, religion,gendrr or sexual orientation has literally never ended well. There is absolutely no instance in any bit of history I've read that had a good outcome.
Two wrongs don't make a right, people need to be taught and you can't teach the belligerent with belligerence.
[+]
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-11-09 22:53:16
Link | Quote | Reply

WW2, Civil War, post MLK death riots, and ongoing combat with natives until ~1910 say otherwise.

Various rebellions against European countries to break free from their control in countries such as India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, etc
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-11-09 22:57:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Sometimes, after I say something like that and someone has some response to dissect what I said as if it's complex, I wonder if...like, Gandhi ever had that one dude that responded to "An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." with "Yeah, but you'd still have one eye!" and missed the point.
[+]
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-11-09 23:00:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah, I get the point. My point is that, historically, trying to teach bigots peacefully doesn't end well for the victim of the bigotry.

I'll gladly take historical examples of large groups of bigots being taught the error of their ways through peaceful means though.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-11-09 23:06:18
Link | Quote | Reply

In WWII, which I assume we're referring to the Nazis, bigotry wasn't the issue, it was the mass genocide born from bigotry. If someone has decided to round up an entire race, religion, whatever and experiment, dehumanize, then dispose of them with blatant disregard for their lives then yes, by all means get violent.
[+]
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-11-09 23:08:42
Link | Quote | Reply

So, again, literally all my examples above. All of which were born of bigotry and escalates to those levels due to leaving them unchecked.
 Phoenix.Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2016-11-09 23:18:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Nobody is saying you can't challenge their opinion. That is the whole point. Freedom of speech applies to everyone, regardless of their belief or opinions.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
[+]
 Phoenix.Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2016-11-09 23:25:36
Link | Quote | Reply

So, again, literally all my examples above. All of which were born of bigotry and escalates to those levels due to leaving them unchecked.

While they are talking, you challenge them with words. If they start using force then you challenge them with force.

You don't take away their right to speak freely during the talking phase and add fuel to the fire. Do that and they see themselves as the victim and become more militant.
[+]
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-11-09 23:30:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I prefer maintaining rights until they start infringing on the rights of others.

I feel speech demeaning or calling for the eradication of another race/gender/orientation/religion infringes on the rights of others.
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-11-09 23:33:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Thorbean said: »

While they are talking, you challenge them with words. If they start using force then you challenge them with force.

You don't take away their right to speak freely during the talking phase and add fuel to the fire. Do that and they see themselves as the victim and become more militant.
Your idea is literally "wait until things are out of hand before you do anything".

That's literally the exact opposite of what I don't want to see happen.
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-11-09 23:40:39
Link | Quote | Reply

-don't

GDI Rooks.
 Phoenix.Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2016-11-09 23:45:40
Link | Quote | Reply

What rights does saying words infringe?
[+]
 Sylph.Cherche
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-11-10 00:03:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh boy, now we get to pretend that words are compeltely harmless. Sick and stones, amirite?
As far as I'm concerned, a declaration that any demographic deserves death for merely existing is an infringement on those rights.
 Phoenix.Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2016-11-10 00:11:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Your idea is literally "wait until things are out of hand before you do anything".

That's literally the exact opposite of what I don't want to see happen.

Last line is a bit confusing. My point is, you can't attack someone for something they haven't done yet, and saying words doesn't infringe anyone elses rights.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2016-11-10 00:13:08
Link | Quote | Reply

What rights does saying words infringe?

Their right to have a 10 foot safe space surrounding them that prevents any unwanted idea from intruding on their liberal paradise.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Phoenix.Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2016-11-10 00:38:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh boy, now we get to pretend that words are compeltely harmless. Sick and stones, amirite?
As far as I'm concerned, a declaration that any demographic deserves death for merely existing is an infringement on those rights.

Like I said before, offence isn't given, it is taken. Words only hold as much weight as the listener gives them. Why care what someone else thinks? Life is way to short.

Not once does it say "Has the right to not hear views which are in contrast to their own".
Not once does it say "Every person (except those with racist beliefs) has the right to..."

"As far as I'm concerned" is great and all, but you or I don't get to decide what is and isn't allowed to be said. You either have free speech, or you don't. It sounds like you agree with freedom of speech, but so much of what you are posting contradicts that assumption.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2016-11-10 01:21:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Like I said before, offence isn't given, it is taken. Words only hold as much weight as the listener gives them. Why care what someone else thinks? Life is way to short.

Not once does it say "Has the right to not hear views which are in contrast to their own".
Not once does it say "Every person (except those with racist beliefs) has the right to..."

"As far as I'm concerned" is great and all, but you or I don't get to decide what is and isn't allowed to be said. You either have free speech, or you don't. It sounds like you agree with freedom of speech, but so much of what you are posting contradicts that assumption.

He only supports freedom of speech for himself and those that agree with him. Nobody else gets it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-11-10 02:05:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Nobody is saying you can't challenge their opinion. That is the whole point. Freedom of speech applies to everyone, regardless of their belief or opinions.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Freedom of speech is protection from retaliation from the government.

It is not protection from fellow citizens.

If private businesses say "no, you cannot act like that and use that language here" they are perfectly entitled to do so. If company's and people issue these trigger warnings (something I have not heard of) than that is also their right.

It is your right to say that is a stupid policy.

Facebook, Apple, and Google ads all have "decency" rulespecially you have to follow. That is their right as private company's to have those (imo) stupid rules.

When the local, state, and federal government's start telling you cannot speak in a certain way that is when your quote should come into use.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-11-10 02:12:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah...free speech has limits.

If a group is inciting people to go kill others, that is illegal.

If the hypothetical is merely saying that "group X are all dirty animals", that is different and protected.
[+]
 Phoenix.Xantavia
user: xantavia
By Phoenix.Xantavia 2016-11-10 02:15:29
Link | Quote | Reply

In honor of the President Elect and telling it like it, I would like to say the following.

If you voted for Trump because of Trump (not because 'not Hillary'), you are OK with non-consensual sexual contact. You are OK with discriminating against certain religions. You are OK with treating citizens differently based on sexual orientation. And some of you, I suppose, are good people.
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25