Political Discussion Thread
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Unicorn.Motokosun
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: mattchew
By Unicorn.Motokosun 2009-09-11 15:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

looks like the USA has the highest of all countries with sweden coming in second.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-09-11 15:09:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Where in it does it say that America doesnt have the highest cancer survival rate?
 Unicorn.Motokosun
By Unicorn.Motokosun 2009-09-11 15:10:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Silvaria said:
"Professor Michel Coleman from London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine led a team of 100 scientists who examined data from 1.9 million people living in 31 countries in 1990s. Researchers examined the data on cancer survival rates taken from national registries. The study is called CONCORD and it is mainly focused on breast, colon, rectal and prostate cancers.

Researchers found that USA has the best score with 5 years of survival rate for breast cancer at 83.9% and prostate cancer at 91.9%. Japan scores the best for colon cancer at 63% and rectal cancer at 58.2% in men. Women living in France have the highest rates for colon and rectal cancers at 60.1% and 63.9% respectively."

As I said, a few other countries have high survival rates, and I stand by that. 8)

Are we talking about survival rates for the 90's or present? cause there significantly different now then a decade ago
 Pandemonium.Silvaria
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Silvaria 2009-09-11 15:11:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
In this topic it looks like everyone have the truth and facts and numbers to prove what they are saying. As if we are living in 2 parallel universe... connected by the Internet! How amazing ^^

Indeed. As Homer Simpson said, "Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!"
 Unicorn.Motokosun
By Unicorn.Motokosun 2009-09-11 15:11:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ludoggy said:
Where in it does it say that America doesnt have the highest cancer survival rate?

If your refering to me im saying it says we DO, if your not talking to me then sorrys lulz
 Valefor.Anodrac
Server: Valefor
user: Anodrac
By Valefor.Anodrac 2009-09-11 15:11:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ludoggy said:
Silvaria said:

Not true. Canada and Japan have equally high survival rates, as do several other countries...and they have universal health care.

Doesnt say that here.
http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba596

From their mission statement: "The NCPA's goal is to develop and promote private alternatives to government regulation and control, solving problems by relying on the strength of the competitive, entrepreneurial private sector."

No bias there...
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-09-11 15:12:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Motokosun said:
Chaosx said:
So who do you think I should vote for in the governor election this fall for NJ:
Jon Corzine or this guy Chris Christie?

That;s not something you should be asking us, that's a question for yourself. But NJ hmm, would it matter? (lol nj corrupt government joke)

Exactly. I think throwing a dart at a dart board would make a better pick. LOL!
 Unicorn.Motokosun
By Unicorn.Motokosun 2009-09-11 15:13:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Regardless of who has the best, isn't it great that the survival rate just keeps going up world-wide. That's something we can all enjoy.
 Ramuh.Ilvex
Server: Ramuh
user: Ilvex
By Ramuh.Ilvex 2009-09-11 15:18:10
Link | Quote | Reply

cheers to that moto
 Pandemonium.Silvaria
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Silvaria 2009-09-11 15:23:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Are we talking about survival rates for the 90's or present? cause there significantly different now then a decade ago

The research I read follow patients in the 90s. More was conducted by Johns Hopkins in 2004: "The study is the first to use a universal set of standards to compare the quality of health care in the five countries surveyed. The researchers found that no country scored the best or worst overall and that each country was the best and worst in at least one area."

So the U.S. may have high survival rates in some cancers, but I see nothing to indicate that they have -the- highest survival rate overall, which is the point I was originally addressing.

Quote:
Regardless of who has the best, isn't it great that the survival rate just keeps going up world-wide. That's something we can all enjoy.

Totally agreed. 8)
 Valefor.Anodrac
By Valefor.Anodrac 2009-09-11 15:29:02
Link | Quote | Reply

What i would like a study and statistics on is how many people have died because private insurance dropped policies, denied cliams or how many people died because they did not have insurance that would have helped prevent the sickness that killed them.

Find those numbers out and tell the families of those people that affordable health care and insurance companies being held accountable is not good for this country.
 Ifrit.Sabinblitz
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Sabinblitz 2009-09-11 15:39:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I just want people to realize that reform doesn't have to mean government led health care. People also need to realize that for the government to fund health care that it has to take money from people which THEY could have spent on health care. The government only adds a middleman, and everyone knows the middleman increases cost. I posted some examples of what needs to be reformed in case anyone wants to look back.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-09-11 15:41:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Silvaria said:
Quote:
Silvaria do you have sources for those numbers?

As I said, a little research will easily verify those numbers. 8)

The burden of proof always lies with the with the person who lays charges.
 Bahamut.Reeses
Server: Bahamut
user: Reeses
By Bahamut.Reeses 2009-09-11 15:50:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem with the healthcare system is - piss poor ethics.
Insurance companies only want to make money(Money > the health of people).
Patients want to sue doctors, nurses and hospitals with frivalous claims.
Overpaid cutthroat lawyers defending doctors, nurses and hospitals.
Overpaid cutthroat lawyers attacking doctors, nurses and hospitals.
Doctors, nurses and hospitals (who have to cover their *** so they don't get sued) who order high priced testing that isn't needed.
Doctors, nurses and hospitals who order high priced testing that isn't needed, because they get paid more for doing so.

If you clean up the ethics of the people, then you would clean up the system. The scarry part here is - government is not the answer. Politicians are the most corrupt, unethical people on the planet. Of course the government wants in on the healthcare action, they see how fast it makes corrupt money and they need to get their greedy hands in there.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-09-11 15:50:46
Link | Quote | Reply

How are we paying for the big health care plan again?
 Valefor.Anodrac
By Valefor.Anodrac 2009-09-11 15:56:24
Link | Quote | Reply

It is being payed for out of existing programs over X amount of years. Obama made it quite clear that no New costs would be passed on to the American taxpayers. If it did, he would not sign off on it.

Fact is, the war has cost the US more than this proposed health care program will.

Reeses said:
Doctors, nurses and hospitals (who have to cover their *** so they don't get sued) who order high priced testing that isn't needed.
Doctors, nurses and hospitals who order high priced testing that isn't needed, because they get paid more for doing so.

If you clean up the ethics of the people, then you would clean up the system. The scarry part here is - government is not the answer. Politicians are the most corrupt, unethical people on the planet. Of course the government wants in on the healthcare action, they see how fast it makes corrupt money and they need to get their greedy hands in there.

And how does government get into that money? By proposing a non-profit healthcare system for 5% of the population. Ingenious.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-09-11 15:58:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Anodrac said:
It is being payed for out of existing programs over X amount of years. Obama made it quite clear that no New costs would be passed on to the American taxpayers. If it did, he would not sign of on it.

Fact is, the war has cost the US more than this proposed health care program will.

So he is gonna start cutting Medicare and such to cover the new one?
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-09-11 16:04:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Reeses said:

If you clean up the ethics of the people, then you would clean up the system.

Yeah....give me facts stating this is true please.

Don't say its out there, because, you know what, I can say the same is not true. Thing is, I can also prove that your statement is not true.

The last statement about cleaning up the ethics of the people is true though, but since this is the case already, then its stating a fact.
 Valefor.Anodrac
By Valefor.Anodrac 2009-09-11 16:05:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not a senior citizen so i didnt really pay attention to the speech when he talked to seniors about Medicare.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-09-11 16:42:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Krullgra said:

Do i need to or want to know the details? NO. That's what congress is for, just get it done.

You think congress can be trusted to run free and do whatever they want?
Gotta be a watchdog and slap them around when they misbehave.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-09-11 16:45:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
Reeses said:

Don't say its out there, because, you know what, I can say the same is not true. Thing is, I can also prove that your statement is not true.

The last statement about cleaning up the ethics of the people is true though, but since this is the case already, then its stating a fact.

Read my previous post about insurance companies denying service to paying customers. Add to that the fact that the CEO of UnitedHealth Group has roughly three quarters of a billion dollars in stock options. So he denies life saving procedures to paying customers when he is set to make over 750 billion dollars.

The malpractice issue is a bit complex, as shown in this report by CBS. They report that the sudden rise in malpractice insurance is due not to wins or losses in a court room, but investments made by the insurance companies falling out. The insurance companies then pass on their losses in the form of gross premium hikes. Some to Dr.s that haven't ever even been sued.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-09-11 17:28:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Blindphleb said:
I have many problems with the current health insurance system in America. Having worked in the health service field for 4 years on my own, and having grown up in a family full of medical personnel I feel I have some insight to share.

1. My number one problem with service as it is currently provided is there are next to no consumer protections for insured patients. We talk about how great private markets are; did we forget Triangle-Shirtwaist? When a person can be healthy and pay into a system for years upon years, and then get denied coverage because of a technicality, that is down right criminal.

Cenk Uygur said:
The practices of denying people care through rescission and denying people coverage because of pre-existing conditions. Rescission is where insurance companies will let people die because of a technicality. As soon as you have a serious, life-threatening condition (in other words, an expensive one, the kind you bought insurance for), they will go back over your original forms and see if there is any way they can deny you coverage. They have been known to deny treatment for cancer because someone didn't report that they had acne -- Literally

Source: "How the Democrats Should Have Handled the Health Care Debate" Cenk Uygur. url

Although I have many more problems with the current health insurance system in America, I would be very happy to see laws voted in that would put an end to this sort of abuse of power from private insurance companies.

Blindphleb said:
Korpg said:
Reeses said:

Read my previous post about insurance companies denying service to paying customers. Add to that the fact that the CEO of UnitedHealth Group has roughly three quarters of a billion dollars in stock options. So he denies life saving procedures to paying customers when he is set to make over 750 billion dollars.

The malpractice issue is a bit complex, as shown in this report by CBS. They report that the sudden rise in malpractice insurance is due not to wins or losses in a court room, but investments made by the insurance companies falling out. The insurance companies then pass on their losses in the form of gross premium hikes. Some to Dr.s that haven't ever even been sued.

So, by your example, because one company had bad ethics, they all have bad ethics? That was your point in bringing up Triangel Shirtwaist, wasn't it?

I read each and every singe one of your examples, and yet, I don't know what point you are trying to make.

I mean, you are saying that Insurance Companies are denying healthcare to people who pay for their insurance, but each one of your examples do not state WHICH company or WHY they are denying healthcare or WHO they are denying it from. Does not say one word at all about that.

You say abuse of power, but you didn't give any abuses, just what is hand-fed to you from journalists without right sources. Cenk Uygur used the wrong source, or didn't make his point clearly about his sources. His source used an "example" and made it look like it was true:

http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?article=health_care_reform_villains said:
Think about this for a moment. Somewhere in America today, a woman is sitting in her doctor's office, experiencing the worst moment of her life, as she learns she has breast cancer. Death is staring her in the face. She's wondering whether she'll be there to raise her children or meet her grandchildren. But there's something she doesn't know as she walks out of the office and begins to plan how to tell her family that she could be dead soon.

What she doesn't know is that because she was just diagnosed with cancer, her insurance company is launching an investigation of her, in the hopes that they can find a mistake on one of the many forms she's filled out over the years. One of their employees is poring through her records, and that employee's job is to see if the company can come up with some rationale, any rationale, for cutting off her coverage, so they won't have to pay for the treatment for her cancer. And of course, once they do drop her, she won't be able to get coverage from any of the other insurance companies. Because she has cancer.

WHERE IS THE PROOF???? This isn't proof, this is a @#$#en EXAMPLE.

Cenk Uygur is a moron for using THIS as his proof. Nowhere in his "source" does it show ANYONE doing ANYTHING wrong. All his "source" says is CONJECTURE.

Your example of United Healthcare CEO.....so? This is his SEC filing. Do you even understand what any of that means? He has stock options, so what? You know what stock options do to a person under power? It helps them do a better job so their stock options go UP. You honestly think he is going to have that many stock options, or that the true value of said stock options is that much? All they are are pretty much "e-peen" values. He will never see more than 10% of that value from that.

And your CBS example. Where does it show proof that the insurance companies are hiking prices because of investments? It does say, and I quote:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/04/02/eveningnews/consumer/main610102.shtml said:
Insurers admit they've lost money on investments, but insist that's not behind the skyrocketing rates - it's the lawsuits, they say.

Thats all that CBS chooses to report about this. This is well played into making you think that there is more into the rising cost of malpractice insurance. Out of the entire webpage, this is the only facts that they give you, besides their opening story, somewhat. Its skewed facts, but its facts none-the-less.

Seriously, none of your sources and sources within sources show your point. Neither does any of them show facts, besides the Triangle Shirtwear wiki one. The Triangle Shirtwear happened before "moral laws" took place, don't forget that. Even still, companies do not exist to screw you over. If that was the case, then that company would have failed a long time ago from lack of sales.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
Server: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-09-11 18:56:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
A wall-o-text I am not going to read.

Even still, companies do not exist to screw you over. If that was the case, then that company would have failed a long time ago from lack of sales.

Well, when a company is providing a service you cannot get otherwise they can screw you over and still make sales and money because some people do not have any other choice. Companies really don't care a whole lot about costumers, just enough to keep them coming back, they care about making money, because if they didn't, they wouldn't exist.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-09-11 18:57:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
So, by your example, because one company had bad ethics, they all have bad ethics? That was your point in bringing up Triangel Shirtwaist, wasn't it?

No, that was not my point. Triangle-shirtwaist was only an example of what private companies are able to do without any government regulation. The idea that laissez-faire business practices will some how self regulate based not on moral obligations but on profits or losses alone has been proven in American history to be false. Profits and morals do not go hand in hand.

Korpg said:
I read each and every singe one of your examples, and yet, I don't know what point you are trying to make.

I'll assume that I presented the material in a confusing manner. Here is a quote from Cenk Uygur's source that does mention actual proof. It was in the same article that you quoted. Perhaps you didn't read this?
Cenk Uygur said:
What is "rescission"? Here's how it works. As Stupak's committee, investigations by a couple of news organizations and some state insurance commissioners, and lawsuits by policyholders have revealed, many insurance companies routinely take the opportunity of a serious accident or illness by one of their policyholders to launch an investigation to see whether they can drop the policyholder from coverage. They don't do this when you first sign up for your policy -- instead, they cash your premiums every month, waiting until you actually file a major claim. At that point, they begin poring over all your past medical records and every form you ever filled out for them, to see if they can find a reason to claim that you violated the terms of your policy. It doesn't even have to have anything to do with the illness in question -- for instance, the Los Angeles Times cited the case of a nurse in Texas who was booted from her insurance policy "after she was diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer, for failing to disclose a visit to a dermatologist for acne."

here is a video of a congress committee questioning the executives or several private insurance companies about the practice of rescission:.

Source for the acne denial of service: url
www.consumerwatchdog.org said:
A Texas nurse said she lost her coverage, after she was diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer, for failing to disclose a visit to a dermatologist for acne.

Korpg said:
Cenk Uygur is a moron for using THIS as his proof. Nowhere in his "source" does it show ANYONE doing ANYTHING wrong. All his "source" says is CONJECTURE.
Please refrain from Ad hominem arguments.

Korpg said:
Where does it show proof that the insurance companies are hiking prices because of investments?

CBC video notice the part where it shows that even though premiums are going up, malpractice payouts were going down? If that is true, what basis would the malpractice insurance companies have for saying rates are going up because of increased malpractice payouts?
CBS said:
In fact, from 2001 to 2002 when many OB-GYNs saw their rates double, malpractice payouts to victims were actually on the decline.

But insurance companies were losing big on their investments.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-09-11 18:58:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Rumaha said:
some people do not have any other choice.

Maybe if we kill the mini-monopoles by allowing insurance across statelines will allow more choice.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2009-09-11 19:15:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ludoggy said:
Rumaha said:
some people do not have any other choice.

Maybe if we kill the mini-monopoles by allowing insurance across statelines will allow more choice.

^ this. I would be in favor of any plan that allows people to get quality affordable health care regardless of the state you live in or move to, or changing careers.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-09-11 19:22:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Your youtube video, did you actually paid attention to it?

Because, it shows the execs following the law to protect themselves from fraudulant claims by CONSUMERS who apply to them for past diseases. Notice how the investigations made by the companies START after a year or less worth of service towards the customer?

Also, you would notice the execs stating that it would cost a lot of TIME (and time = money) for them to go thru each and every single medical record for each and every single customer they take. Doing so to cut the bottom line? Yeah. Noticed also how they justified that by keeping the premiums low for the customer? Saving customers money? For shame!!! They should be arrested and put to jail just for that alone!!

Also, your quote that says this:

Quote:
In fact, from 2001 to 2002 when many OB-GYNs saw their rates double, malpractice payouts to victims were actually on the decline.

But insurance companies were losing big on their investments.

I would believe this more if they also said this:

That the years previous had nothing to do with the payouts made that year, or the price increase in premiums.

Cause, if you look at malpractice payouts from 1999-2001, I bet you would see a skyrocket number of lawsuits and payouts to said "victims" which justifies the rate increase made for 2001-2002. Companies don't hike prices for premiums or hike prices on goods just because they made bad investments. If they did, they wouldn't be in business any longer, because they lose customers on both ends of the scale.

Look at this more in a business standpoint and less in a socialogical standpoint. You will see that most of the ***spewed to you by the media is just ***. You got to see what facts are there to pick out as plausable.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-09-11 19:26:36
Link | Quote | Reply

www.consumerwatchdog.org said:

A Texas nurse said she lost her coverage, after she was diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer, for failing to disclose a visit to a dermatologist for acne.

Did she have the visit to a dermatologist for acne before she got the insurance?

Because, correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't some of the chemicals used by dermatologists have a risk for cancer anyway from the 1990s-2005?

Thats a huge thing to leave out, you know. Thats why insurance companies NEED to know this ***. You don't leave ***like this out. Might take years to see if it really was a defective gene or if that chemical caused it, if I'm correct in my assumption.

Again, companies don't make it a business to screw you. They wouldn't be in business if they did make it a business to screw you.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7