Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Escha » Black Mage Supertank Albumen
Black Mage Supertank Albumen
By Sammeh 2016-05-15 13:10:44
Link | Quote | Reply

So we're about to start Aeonic's #2 (Go BzerozeroPirates!). Thought I'd share this strategy for our Albumen pops.

We use BLM to pop and super tank the first 12 pops with bard to sleep then similar strategies as everyone else (Death spam).

The new ambuscade capes offer a unique ability for BLM to super tank these throughout the first 5 minutes of the fight.

A few notes:
I usually die towards the end - just too hard to keep MP up. Sometimes I have ballads which go a long way - usually I don't. When I die - we go ahead and do the wipe/reraise strategy - however this bought 10-15% of Albumen's health not worrying about sleep. We zombie during recovery and start at 85-90% which helps a ton.

A dedicated person to paralyna is a *must*. Too many times premature death was caused because of a paralyzed ether use.

When I do successfully stay alive - it's a beautiful thing. However, it can be hard to keep the mobs close enough for a horde lullaby to hit every mob. You don't have long at all with all 12 hitting you to stay alive no matter how many ethers you have.

Last note - for whoever is healing you - Mijin Gakure is 20 yalms from the Mandy. If the Mandy is in between you and your paralyna partner - likely they will die. So each batch that comes out you need to re-position yourselves slightly.

Hope you find this neat :D It's very fun as BLM to tank! 95% DT is amazingly fun =)

YouTube Video Placeholder

-Sam
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-05-15 13:25:33
Link | Quote | Reply

What do you sub? Do you use any GEO bubbles for defensive things?
By Sammeh 2016-05-15 13:29:41
Link | Quote | Reply

We've tinkered with some GEO spells - but figured that it's more valuable on the party focused on Albumen himself. I use /RDM but usually get Phalanx and refresh from SCH with perpetuance so it won't run out.

-Sam
By Blazed1979 2016-05-15 13:49:33
Link | Quote | Reply

SV'ed Ghorn ballads x 3 and RefreshII = no need for meds.
Pretty epic video. Incoming Mana Wall nerf.
By Sammeh 2016-05-15 13:57:55
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a lot of ways to get more mp; but almost all of them detract from main focus on fight or they add more players which add HP/difficulty to the fight. Swapping people in and out is already a pain enough.

-Sam
By Chimerawizard 2016-05-15 14:31:01
Link | Quote | Reply

That's awesome.

Some things you could probably do to extend that past 5min.
Super revitalizer, and Random Deal.
Some things so you have MP more than 5 minutes. Mighty Guard, Some tank food, engage Albumen in order to parry every once in a blue moon & what Blazed1979 said.

I forget, can you not have Ice Spikes while supertanking?

Speaking of random deal, does Mana Wall overwrite itself or would you need to wait for the effect to wear off to put it back up?

EDIT: Oh, I figured you would just supertank until your eventual death. I have not fought said NM before.
By Sammeh 2016-05-15 14:40:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Manawall overwrites itself.

With 12 Mandragora hitting you - you have just a few seconds to live.

Thought about food - but if I do survive I don't want to have to use a antacids (which I think leave you medicated?)

For those who haven't fought Albumen - it's a timed release and at 4 minutes in - you have 12 Mandragora. You can see how fast I'm losing MP at 95% DT with 8 Mandragora out. Gaining back 30-40mp/tic isn't going to make a bunch of difference at that rate.

Once 4m timer hits - sleepga w/ lullaby and go from there =)

-Sam
 Fenrir.Montaeg
Server: Fenrir
user: Montaeg
By Fenrir.Montaeg 2016-05-15 16:47:13
Link | Quote | Reply

antacids don't leave you medicated and are available at the curio moogle.

ps. any reason not to use adoloquium from the sch as well?
[+]
By Sammeh 2016-05-15 16:48:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for info! I haven't used one in forever!
By Sammeh 2016-05-15 17:10:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Montaeg said: »
ps. any reason not to use adoloquium from the sch as well?

Don't want to tie up all the strategems from the Scholar as-is.. Hard to pre-buff and keep those going.

To be honest - for quite a while the biggest reason I would die is the half-second that would pre-cast myrkr. Changing out gear to high-MP removing DT gear would almost instantly result in death.

-Sam
 Fenrir.Montaeg
Server: Fenrir
user: Montaeg
By Fenrir.Montaeg 2016-05-15 17:54:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Okie thanks for the info. Looking forward to trying to convince a blm to do this >_>/
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2016-05-15 19:59:19
Link | Quote | Reply

In addition to the other things mentioned:
Poison/Virus buffer and Vicar's Drink when you get all 12 on you
Hi-elixirs
Convert is faster than medicine and also refills your MP bar
Lock your gear (//gs disable all) and use Myrkr or use Mafic cudgel/Genmei's shield instead of Earth staff
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Beaztmaster
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Beaztmaster 2016-05-15 20:59:38
Link | Quote | Reply

:O
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia