Scythes - What Does SE Need To Do?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Scythes - What does SE need to do?
Scythes - What does SE need to do?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Asura.Alexandero
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: jalexan4
By Asura.Alexandero 2015-08-24 13:34:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I swear I heard something a while back about SE adjusting Scythes so that DRK would use them more and then, I never heard anything else again. I know that GS is better than Scythe atm but I refuse to use a GS unless I really have to. I'm currently working on Apoc, I know it isn't that great right now, but it's to fulfill a 8 year fantasy from when I first started playing. I'm also, very slowly, working on Liberator (The servers will probably shutdown before I finish that one).

So, a couple of questions.

1. What does SE need to do to fix Scythes to where they are competitive again and is this something that all 2 handers are suffering from?

2. Until I finish my relic, what is the best scythe to have atm? I have an Inanna but having crap luck with rolls, I'd rather not keep dumping 500k in a Dusk +2 if there is something better out there, for instance, how does that new scythe from the BCNM 3 boss fight in Inner Raz stack up?

Thanks, I know I just made a post but DRK has got me excited to play again, so I'm trying to figure out where everything stands atm and what I need to be doing.

Edit: Please don't tell me to play another job. I quit playing because I got sick of playing the flavor of the month jobs. I'll setup my own parties with my own friends and ls mates. The game isn't fun to me if I'm playing the bandwagon game.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-08-24 14:15:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Before scythe, DRK needs an overall huge boost. If DRK even had one good weapon or useful justification for a party spot, that'd be great.

Hopefully the November update puts DRK and WAR back in the limelight. The last few major balancing updates have elevated the former B- and C-tier jobs like BLM, BST, BLU, etc. It'll be such a shame if FFXI dies with heavy damage dealers being so useless.
[+]
 Cerberus.Nekdal
Server: Cerberus
user: Nekdal
By Cerberus.Nekdal 2015-08-24 15:22:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I have to agree they worked on other jobs but drk and war they really gotta bring back those jobs drk w/ apoc is epic did my apoc got it too 119 now working on amano but yeah a nice good boost to drk and war /yesplease!.
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
Server: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2015-08-24 15:29:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Would be nice I love my apoc. Would not mind liberator but got other stuff I want to take care of first before I jump back on working on that
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2015-08-24 16:59:31
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't need to come up with reasons why you're making an Apoc. This is a game, so just do it if that's what you wanna do. But please, people need to stop using the term "bandwagon." Again, this is just a game, there's no need to act superior to other players. I've been playing blu for years now. Stuck with it even when it was weak. I don't appreciate it being referred to as bandwagon or flavor of the month. It's a game, everyone can play what they like, and no one should look down on another player for the job they chose.
As for drk, it a great job. a friend of mine made a -50% dt set and he sometimes tanks high tier battlefields for us. The job is as useful as you want to make it. Learn all the aspects of it and have fun.
I agree that it needs an update to be competitive, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Just takes more skill.
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-08-24 18:22:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Give them a strong WS, this is how they've consistently made jobs good in the past. Preferably Quietus or Cata because 2 step darkness is very nice.
[+]
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-08-25 10:03:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Failaras said: »
Give them a strong WS, this is how they've consistently made jobs good in the past. Preferably Quietus or Cata because 2 step darkness is very nice.

We're past the point of just throwing the heavy DD's a bone with WS buffs, though that'd be a part of any successful fix. The final batch of content needs mobs that are strong or even immune to magic, or magic bursts need to be nerfed, or some combination of both. BST needs an adjustment. I have no idea how BLU will be adjusted because S-E has painted themselves into a corner there.

DRK/WAR/DRG should get some time in the spotlight. We're at the end of the game, here, and it's been two years since these jobs had love.
[+]
 Asura.Failaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-08-25 12:21:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Safiyyah said: »

We're past the point of just throwing the heavy DD's a bone with WS buffs, though that'd be a part of any successful fix. The final batch of content needs mobs that are strong or even immune to magic, or magic bursts need to be nerfed, or some combination of both. BST needs an adjustment. I have no idea how BLU will be adjusted because S-E has painted themselves into a corner there.

DRK/WAR/DRG should get some time in the spotlight. We're at the end of the game, here, and it's been two years since these jobs had love.
I disagree, if Blu didn't get a massive CDC buff it wouldn't need to be adjusted, the JT and such are huge but if it was WSing for 5k with a non SCing WS like Drk it wouldn't matter. We've seen this happen many times of the years, Ukkos/Hi/Vsmite during Aby, Reso/Shoha during VW, Fudo for SoA. If they made a massive change to War and Drks WSes (like enough to double or triple the damage) you would see the jobs at least be viable in melee setups.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-08-25 12:24:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Terren said: »
An acc boost to Catastrophe would be very nice ... damn WS misses way too often.

No, it doesn't. It's a one-hit weapon skill.

It doesn't miss any more than any other one-hit weapon skills.

And one-hit weapon skills are inherently more accurate, as I recall.

Perception is not a valid indicator of anything. This is why we have parsing and damage/accuracy calculations.

Edit: Catastrophe is actually a fairly difficult weaponskill to "fix" because of it's awesome extra qualities. Adjust the damage/health recovered and you're going to make it absolutely ridiculous.
[+]
 Leviathan.Mckeag
Server: Leviathan
user: Tajinjr
By Leviathan.Mckeag 2015-08-25 12:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

They should let BST use scythes
By Ramyrez 2015-08-25 12:34:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Mckeag said: »

Yeah. Because if any job needs thrown a buff right now, it's beastmaster. They're almost as hard up as those poor, downtrodden blue mages!
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-08-25 12:45:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Alexandero said: »
I swear I heard something a while back about SE adjusting Scythes so that DRK would use them more and then, I never heard anything else again. I know that GS is better than Scythe atm but I refuse to use a GS unless I really have to. I'm currently working on Apoc, I know it isn't that great right now, but it's to fulfill a 8 year fantasy from when I first started playing. I'm also, very slowly, working on Liberator (The servers will probably shutdown before I finish that one).

So, a couple of questions.

1. What does SE need to do to fix Scythes to where they are competitive again and is this something that all 2 handers are suffering from?

2. Until I finish my relic, what is the best scythe to have atm? I have an Inanna but having crap luck with rolls, I'd rather not keep dumping 500k in a Dusk +2 if there is something better out there, for instance, how does that new scythe from the BCNM 3 boss fight in Inner Raz stack up?

Thanks, I know I just made a post but DRK has got me excited to play again, so I'm trying to figure out where everything stands atm and what I need to be doing.

Edit: Please don't tell me to play another job. I quit playing because I got sick of playing the flavor of the month jobs. I'll setup my own parties with my own friends and ls mates. The game isn't fun to me if I'm playing the bandwagon game.

I've been saying this about Scythe since the Voidwatch days! It was me ... and I asked SE about it several times but they never respond. I made a post about the balancing of damage dealing jobs on their official forum, which I bump from time-to-time. Your text to link here...
 Asura.Failaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-08-25 12:59:38
Link | Quote | Reply

They also should buff 2h accuracy options, I know Sam has serious accuracy issues on Sinister Reign compared to Blu.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By fillerbunny9 2015-08-25 13:20:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Mckeag said: »

they can, B- skill rank, iirc.
By Chyula 2015-08-25 13:58:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Drk just had a boost, stop crying and work on that mythic.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-08-25 14:11:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Chyula said: »
Drk just had a boost, stop crying and work on that mythic.

You call Consume Mana a boost??
[+]
By Ulthakptah 2015-08-25 14:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Well there was Consume mp, and 2 more tiers of attack bonus, and absorb spells not decaying anymore. Not to mention that drk does have t3 nukes so the magic burst changes affect them. Maybe all SE has to do to get drk to use scythes is put the same amount of magic damage on them as staffs. I'm sure some black mages would like those too.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-08-25 14:36:55
Link | Quote | Reply

DRK's have never been viable nukers, and the recent updates didn't do a lot for DRK .. not when you compare them to all the gifts BST got. WAR and DRG are in the same boat, it's not just about DRK.
[+]
 Asura.Failaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-08-25 15:15:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
They also should buff 2h accuracy options, I know Sam has serious accuracy issues on Sinister Reign compared to Blu.

I would think most jobs would have accuracy issues compared to a BLU.
Compare to Thf then. Any dual wielding light armor job will have better accuracy than a 2 hander. Drk has some bonus from the merited ability but you trade survivability which does matter now. Also DEX modded WSs and guaranteed or multi hit WSs matter a lot for accuracy.
 Lakshmi.Lenus
user: Lenus
By Lakshmi.Lenus 2015-08-25 15:16:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I eat other DD's with my apoc for breakfast, lunch and dinner. This thread shouldn't exist.
 Quetzalcoatl.Jezz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: mithra01
By Quetzalcoatl.Jezz 2015-08-25 16:15:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Apoc is fantastic if:
- You have a slow curing whm
- You're tanking
- You want to make darkness sc
- You're using trusts that would rather refresh themselves than cure you
[+]
 Asura.Failaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-08-25 16:33:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Apoc is fantastic if:
You're at 75 cap.
You feel like playing without trusts for some reason.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-08-25 17:31:52
Link | Quote | Reply

SE needs to update 2H WS's to be more powerful, preferably by raiding their fTP and additional Tp effects (other then SAM). For DRK it needs GS and Scythe updated. Just raise the fTP on Torc and Reso would be enough. Scythe on the other hand needs something more different to set it apart from GS, I would imagine either a large attack boost or a large defense ignore effect on Quietus, CR and Entropy along with a fTP raise. If Quietus had a flat 30 ~ 50% defense ignore or 50% attack boost along with an fTP of 7.0 or higher, then it would be very useful for self chaining darkness on NM's with high defense, which is something we're actually dealing with now.

And yeah Consume Mana sucks
[+]
 Lakshmi.Nightsage
user: Nightsage
By Lakshmi.Nightsage 2015-08-25 17:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Apoc is fantastic if:
You're at 75 cap.

Only time Apoc was ever good. Now its just something to boost your ranking on this site.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Lenus
user: Lenus
By Lakshmi.Lenus 2015-08-25 20:22:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Apoc was actually great during VW times. I've slayed many Ragnaroks :O
 Asura.Failaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-08-25 20:41:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Apoc was horrid during VW times what are you even talking about.
[+]
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2015-08-25 21:02:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Brace for
"Matsui here! New 1200 JP buff for DRK will be replaced by Slice damage +4%. Please look forward to it."
[+]
By volkom 2015-08-25 21:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

If anyone remembers guild wars 1 dervish.
I would kill for scythe attack animations like that.
First Page 2 3 4 5