Forum » Windower » General » FFXI Switch Monitor
FFXI Switch Monitor
 Bahamut.Scizor
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Scizor
By Bahamut.Scizor 2017-01-25 05:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Could you install Vjoy/Xpadder and then bind that key to the controller?
By tyalangan 2017-01-25 05:19:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I previously used Xpadder and Joytoy(sp?) but went away from them after XBOX controller worked perfectly from installation. If there is a way to just bind the key to the one button I want to use the switch for (that isn't already in use) I would try that. Not sure it works like that, though.
 Bahamut.Genryu
user: Genryu
By Bahamut.Genryu 2017-01-25 08:33:10
Link | Quote | Reply

tyalangan said: »
Same issue. On windows 7 using the above script and mine doesn't even work once. I went to gamepad properties in devices and printers and saw the button I desired was button 6. So, I put in 'joy6' to replace Rooks' joy12. Ran as administrator. Nothing switches nor changes orange in the taskbar. I even attempted hitting every button on the controller and it doesn't switch. And yes, I renamed his characters to mine correctly spelled.

EDIT: Reading around it seems joy only works with virtual joysticks and not USB Gamepads. Which must be my problem.

Even a script that looks at input history does not recognize the Xbox Controller:
Code
#InstallKeybdHook

Escape::
    KeyHistory
return

Unless I am doing something wrong.

I'm using an old PS2 pad that I have had forever, with a USB adaptor. Funny thing is, several years ago, I used to switch windows via the same pad without issue, I do not understand why I cannot do it now.

I'm wondering if it may actually be an issue with Windows 7 then (I'm pretty sure I was still running XP back then). I think I've pretty much given up on trying now, I'll stick to alt+tab'ing.
 Bahamut.Genryu
user: Genryu
By Bahamut.Genryu 2017-01-29 09:56:51
Link | Quote | Reply

tyalangan said: »
I previously used Xpadder and Joytoy(sp?) but went away from them after XBOX controller worked perfectly from installation. If there is a way to just bind the key to the one button I want to use the switch for (that isn't already in use) I would try that. Not sure it works like that, though.

If you haven't fixed your issue with Autohotkey yet, I ended up using a program called switchmon, it worked perfectly right from the go, one click window switch. Maybe look into giving that a try?
 Asura.Clockworkx
Server: Asura
user: Dartanion
By Asura.Clockworkx 2017-01-29 10:38:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I recently upgraded to windows 10 and installed switchmon. I also play using a logitech f310 gamepad. After a few configurations I've gotten it up and running without any problems. Here's how I have mine setup:

1. Right click - set compatibility mode to windows xp service pack 3
2. FFXI config/gamepad settings - hide menus > leave this blank
3. switchmon settings - gamepad tab > switch next > assign (button 9)

By doing this I'm able to switch between FFXI instances by pressing the back button on my gamepad (select button as if it were a ps2 controller). Even if FFXI isn't the active window it will switch to the next instance in sequence.
 Asura.Jadius
user: IxJoexl
By Asura.Jadius 2017-02-02 12:10:51
Link | Quote | Reply

My switch monitor seems to only work if I right click the taskbar icon to open the sub-menu then when I press the hotkey, it works.. but not in game. Pretty sure some windows update borked it but I can't figure out how to fix this. ><
By pobls 2017-02-08 10:56:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey all. I'm curious as to what's peoples' statuses regarding this: ffxiswithmon and autohotkey. I've been rocking the autohotkey script (thanks Rooks) on a Logitech F710, but it seems to be acting weird as of late. Went to the Xbox Wireless Controller (blue one), and for some reason, the script will not work. Had it set to use the RB button, which maps to joy6. When xinput is selected in the fix config menu, controllers work, but the script doesn't. Which is weird because in the joy.cpl, RB maps to 6 when pressed. Any help is appreciated and sorry for the long post. Just trying to be dertailed.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [83 days between previous and next post]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-05-02 02:46:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Jadius said: »
My switch monitor seems to only work if I right click the taskbar icon to open the sub-menu then when I press the hotkey, it works.. but not in game. Pretty sure some windows update borked it but I can't figure out how to fix this. ><

Bumping this up, I recently built a new Win10 machine and I'm having the exact same Switchmon issues (Xbox One gamepad).

Always worked fine in Win7 64-bit, and I even got it to work on an "update" to Win10 during the Microsoft trial some time in 2016 (which was giving me frequent issues for other reasons, so I reverted to Win7). Now on my fresh Win10 install and new hardware, Switchmon won't work and I really really miss it. I have Creators Update installed now, but was having no luck with Switchmon even before that.

PLEASE, anyone with additional suggestions chime in. I've tried compatibility mode settings without success. I get the same thing as Jadius where if you manually go into the application from the taskbar icon it WILL swap windows between my two open FFXI instances. It just won't seem to function as intended with an actual assigned controller button to cycle active FFXI windows (which is far more convenient than a hotkey for Alt-Tab that cycles through all open programs, not just FFIX instances).

Or, if someone was so awesome as to make a more current add-on or separate application that is more Windows 10 friendly... I'd definitely send a donation and my eternal thanks ;)
By Staleyx 2017-05-02 04:15:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a script I found on here that will map a controller input to switch instances if that would help.
By Skies 2017-05-02 06:26:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Could you post it, been having a hard time finding something stable for win10.
 Asura.Ensipid
user: Ensipid
By Asura.Ensipid 2017-05-02 10:17:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Asura.Jadius said: »

Bumping this up, I recently built a new Win10 machine and I'm having the exact same Switchmon issues (Xbox One gamepad).

Always worked fine in Win7 64-bit, and I even got it to work on an "update" to Win10 during the Microsoft trial some time in 2016 (which was giving me frequent issues for other reasons, so I reverted to Win7). Now on my fresh Win10 install and new hardware, Switchmon won't work and I really really miss it. I have Creators Update installed now, but was having no luck with Switchmon even before that.

PLEASE, anyone with additional suggestions chime in. I've tried compatibility mode settings without success. I get the same thing as Jadius where if you manually go into the application from the taskbar icon it WILL swap windows between my two open FFXI instances. It just won't seem to function as intended with an actual assigned controller button to cycle active FFXI windows (which is far more convenient than a hotkey for Alt-Tab that cycles through all open programs, not just FFIX instances).

Or, if someone was so awesome as to make a more current add-on or separate application that is more Windows 10 friendly... I'd definitely send a donation and my eternal thanks ;)

Trust me, I spent probably a week of my life trying to fix this exact issue. It has something to do with the Xbox One Controller. It just plain doesnt work. I've tried 3rd party drivers like MotionJoy etc, still didnt work.

Both Xbox 360 wired controller and PS3 Dualshock wired w/ MotionJoy worked for me. But no matter what I did, I could not get XB1 controller to work. It works when Switchmon is selected window, but not while minimized.

I suggest just switching controllers, save your heartache. I tried other custom scripts and hotkey programs, but they just aren't as effective as Switchmon.
[+]
 Cerberus.Gillesjboulon
Server: Cerberus
user: gilles
By Cerberus.Gillesjboulon 2017-05-02 10:38:13
Link | Quote | Reply

MotionJoy and the new fireshock works very well on win 10 creator (x64).

One simply thing you must do is always running ANY program which interact with FFXI with the same rights (so admin rights, i have never achieve to run the game with user rights).
 Asura.Ensipid
By Asura.Ensipid 2017-05-02 10:42:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Gillesjboulon said: »

One simply thing you must do is always running ANY program which interact with FFXI with the same rights (so admin rights, i have never achieve to run the game with user rights).

His issue is with XB1 controller.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2017-05-02 12:38:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Gillesjboulon said: »

Don't use that garbage, and oddly enough I have run the game fine on my newer VMs without admin rights, odd.
By Staleyx 2017-05-02 14:26:34
Link | Quote | Reply

http://fr.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/47135/ffxi-switch-

Here is the link with the script anand program used. Just change the names and button you want.
By Staleyx 2017-05-02 14:27:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Just realized its this post page 1 lol. I need sleep haha
 Asura.Ensipid
By Asura.Ensipid 2017-05-03 11:31:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Staleyx said: »
http://fr.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/47135/ffxi-switch-

Here is the link with the script anand program used. Just change the names and button you want.

I tried this script and still no go with XB1 controller. Works fine for 360/Ps3. There just is something strange with the Windows 10+XB1 controller.

It doesn't matter what you map them too, its like nothing will recognize button inputs outside the game when the game is selected.

If anyone manages to get it to work with XB1 controller on Windows 10 specifically, please say so. All these work arounds and scripts work great for non-XB1, but not with Xb1 in my experience.
[+]
By Staleyx 2017-05-03 12:51:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I have windows10 but use a logitech. Why not just use a different controller?
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-05-10 15:49:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ensipid said: »
Trust me, I spent probably a week of my life trying to fix this exact issue. It has something to do with the Xbox One Controller. It just plain doesnt work. I've tried 3rd party drivers like MotionJoy etc, still didnt work.

Both Xbox 360 wired controller and PS3 Dualshock wired w/ MotionJoy worked for me. But no matter what I did, I could not get XB1 controller to work. It works when Switchmon is selected window, but not while minimized.

I suggest just switching controllers, save your heartache. I tried other custom scripts and hotkey programs, but they just aren't as effective as Switchmon.

OMG, I'm back from a week vacation and finally got to try this out... you are my f'ing hero!!! Pulled out a 360 pad and an old PC controller (lol FFXIV branded PS-style controller), both worked perfectly.

Shocking that the actual official Microsoft Xbox One controller has issues with Switchmon in Win10 (and it worked just fine in Win7 and earlier), but that does indeed seem to be the case.

Staleyx said: »
I have windows10 but use a logitech. Why not just use a different controller?

I mean, yeah... that's the solution. But I didn't know my Xbox One controller was the problem because that's such a weird and unexpected issue. I had never seen even anyone mention that as an issue until Ensipid said it in this thread, and I'm pretty sure I've read everything available online about Win10 Switchmon controller issues!

Would be interesting to see if anyone does get it fixed though. I do really like the hand-feel of the Xbox One pads (and I actually use the fancy $150 Xbox One Elite, dat texture...) But I'm more than happy to use something else and actually have Switchmon work.
 Asura.Jeph
By Asura.Jeph 2017-05-10 17:00:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Figure I should share my fix here since I've been using switchmon for over a month now. I myself use an Xbox One controller and originally had the same issue with switchmon not working.

The main problem is that the Xbox One controller does not utilize directinput, or at least I do not believe it does so properly. It does utilize xinput which iirc is the newer standard for controllers but that brings up one problem:

Switchmon was primarily designed with directinput in mind but can read some information about the Xbox One controller since the drivers has some rudimentary directinput feedback. The problem is that this basic directinput feedback does not work if a problem is out of focus. If you have switchmon focused, your xinput keybind within the program will work but as soon as you swap to another window, it is no longer recognized.

The workaround I used was using an xinput wrapper called XinputPlus and applied a patch to switchmon using said program.

With said wrapper, you can target a specific program, enable directinput output under the directinput tab and then enable all the .dll files under Settings / DLL files. This basically adds xinput library files within the folder of said program.

Once you do this, you do not need the wrapper program anymore.
Also do not forget to set compatibility mode of the Switchmon application to Windows XP SP2.
[+]
 Asura.Pobleraud
user: pobls
By Asura.Pobleraud 2017-06-05 12:28:00
Link | Quote | Reply

@Jeph: can i just say THANK YOU. How you figured that is beyond me, but your xinputplus solution worked. Now I can use a quality controller. Thank you again!!
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [132 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Wolfegang
Server: Ragnarok
user: Cheriour
By Ragnarok.Wolfegang 2017-10-15 11:30:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Holy ***Jeph your solution worked! I was having the same exact problem all these others were having with xbox one elite controller, and not being able to switch windows unless you focus out of the game. THANK YOU.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [36 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Clickbait
user: clickbait
By Asura.Clickbait 2017-11-19 22:40:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I made an hotkeynet script is anyone is interested. Tabs between Clients and has Picture in Picture. Can't use controller keybinds afaik sadly. :( Still needs cleanup and to add features, but works kinda. lol

necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [117 days between previous and next post]
By vasna 2018-03-16 18:04:07
Link | Quote | Reply

If anyone is interested i wrote a script that switches characters based on individual hotkeys for ahk.

#SingleInstance, Force
SetTitleMatchMode RegEx ;

XButton1::
WinActivate, Character
return
XButton2::
WinActivate, Character
return
WheelLeft::
WinActivate, Character
return
WheelRight::
WinActivate, Character
return
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-03-16 18:29:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Since this was already necroed, figured I'd throw in some information I acquired while trying to debug a similar issue for someone else.

Windows 8 and further no longer allow you to trigger windows shortcuts such as alt-tab through any input above driver level unless you have uiaccess=true in your applications manifest. Further, doing so requires a microsoft approved certificate to back your program. This put it out of reach of most of the smaller applications, such as Xpadder. They can simulate alt, they can simulate tab, but windows won't allow the simulated keys to trigger the shortcut. From what I can tell, users cannot override this in any way, even by directly installing a certificate to their local trusted certificates.

So plain and simple, simulating alt-tab cannot be done unless the application developer jumps through a bunch of hoops(and pays for the privilege).

My experience using the windows APIs through C#/C++ to focus a different FFXI has been questionable at best. It seems to work most of the time, but friend has reported stray crashes.. which always seem to happen at inopportune times. The same has occured using WinActivate through AHK, I'm guessing FFXI doesn't like being activated/deactivated during certain input(possibly specific to some GPU/drivers). This leaves a pretty suboptimal situation.

That said, I did develop a few utilities over the course of my attempts to solve this problem that may help some people(listed in next post).
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-03-16 18:30:03
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.dropbox.com/s/azl23sueh2litzi/Tabber.exe?dl=0 - Basic utility that runs in system tray and makes left trigger count as alt and right trigger count as tab. Will not work in systems running Windows 8 or newer for previously explained reason. Works as soon as opened. Simply right click icon in tray and click exit to close it. Works with Windower and Ashita(or without FFXI at all.. it's just reading the controller).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cat24yuwsp4rr9h/Focuser.dll?dl=0 - Ashita plugin to change between windows. Should work on all windows versions, some users report crashes while others don't.

Commands:
/winfocus CharName - Change to the character named CharName.
/winfocus *nextalpha - Change to next character alphabetically.
/winfocus *prevalpha - Change to previous character alphabetically.
/winfocus *nextpid - Change to next character by PID.
/winfocus *prevpid - Change to previous character by PID.
The * commands all wrap around(hitting nextalpha while on last character goes back to first and similar).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kg8plynmhh76tt8/Trigger.dll?dl=0 - Ashita plugin to bind left and right triggers on xbox controller to commands.

/trigger LT [command] - Bind a command to left trigger.
/trigger RT [command] - Bind a command to right trigger.

For a simple setup, throw this into your startup script and put both plugins in your plugin folder:
Code
/load trigger
/load focuser
/trigger LT /winfocus *prevalpha
/trigger RT /winfocus *nextalpha

This will result in your left trigger shifting to the previous character alphabetically and your right trigger shifting to the next character alphabetically.

If you only have 2 characters, you could do something like:
Code
/load trigger
/load focuser
/trigger LT /winfocus Charone
/trigger RT /winfocus Chartwo

This results in left trigger always putting you on Charone and right trigger always putting you on Chartwo.

Sorry for the long post, just had quite a bit of frustration with this issue and figured I'd share what I found and made in the hopes it helps others. These are designed for xbox controller, but will also work with PS4 controller if you're using ds4windows or some other proxy to achieve xinput.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [46 days between previous and next post]
By Rinuko 2018-05-02 01:59:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
https://www.dropbox.com/s/azl23sueh2litzi/Tabber.exe?dl=0 - Basic utility that runs in system tray and makes left trigger count as alt and right trigger count as tab. Will not work in systems running Windows 8 or newer for previously explained reason. Works as soon as opened. Simply right click icon in tray and click exit to close it. Works with Windower and Ashita(or without FFXI at all.. it's just reading the controller).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cat24yuwsp4rr9h/Focuser.dll?dl=0 - Ashita plugin to change between windows. Should work on all windows versions, some users report crashes while others don't.

Commands:
/winfocus CharName - Change to the character named CharName.
/winfocus *nextalpha - Change to next character alphabetically.
/winfocus *prevalpha - Change to previous character alphabetically.
/winfocus *nextpid - Change to next character by PID.
/winfocus *prevpid - Change to previous character by PID.
The * commands all wrap around(hitting nextalpha while on last character goes back to first and similar).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kg8plynmhh76tt8/Trigger.dll?dl=0 - Ashita plugin to bind left and right triggers on xbox controller to commands.

/trigger LT [command] - Bind a command to left trigger.
/trigger RT [command] - Bind a command to right trigger.

For a simple setup, throw this into your startup script and put both plugins in your plugin folder:
Code
/load trigger
/load focuser
/trigger LT /winfocus *prevalpha
/trigger RT /winfocus *nextalpha

This will result in your left trigger shifting to the previous character alphabetically and your right trigger shifting to the next character alphabetically.

If you only have 2 characters, you could do something like:
Code
/load trigger
/load focuser
/trigger LT /winfocus Charone
/trigger RT /winfocus Chartwo

This results in left trigger always putting you on Charone and right trigger always putting you on Chartwo.

Sorry for the long post, just had quite a bit of frustration with this issue and figured I'd share what I found and made in the hopes it helps others. These are designed for xbox controller, but will also work with PS4 controller if you're using ds4windows or some other proxy to achieve xinput.
So only works with Ashita and not Windower?
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-05-02 02:03:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Whats the question in regards to? That particular program is for ashita, yes.

Switchmon is for windower
 Asura.Ryson
user: ryson
By Asura.Ryson 2018-05-04 07:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

i still have switchmon and it works been playing forever just happened to see this before i went to work ^^ get at me.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [41 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Massacres
user: hamany9
By Asura.Massacres 2018-06-14 07:14:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone got an issue with switchmon where it stops switching between the characters? have to restart switchmon to make it work again but then after a while it would stop working again.