Trying to Decide on a Job
 Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Carste
By Quetzalcoatl.Buckeyespud 2009-08-28 17:17:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I need help deciding what job to stick with. Here is a little about me:

1. I'm extremely casual. I've got a wife, 2 kids, and 2 jobs. I only play a few hours a day, so end game stuff or anything that requires a lot of time isn't for me.

2. I like to do damage. My favorite jobs so far have been monk, black mage, dragoon, and ranger.

3. I'm really impatient. I don't like to take a knee. So some of the mage jobs are out the window. This makes me like ninja because of shadows. Disclaimer: black mage has been okay, because of the good damage it can do.

So for those that have done these jobs, based on the characteristics above, what job would you choose? What job have you enjoyed the most? Is there anything I don't have listed here that I should look at?

PS-I know my profile says I have a level 75 thief. It's a long story (hackers)
Server: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2009-08-28 17:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

BLM ftw! It was my first job i leveled and by far my favorite, i have played other jobs like RDM, SAM and the obvious sub jobs but BLM is what really shines for me as it requires more out the player IMO.

Also with BLM there is a good solo aspect to it in which i think would suit your time restraints.

I would answer more but im at work :(

GL on your choice.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-08-28 17:48:51
Link | Quote | Reply

BST isn't a terrible choice if you're restrained on time. Don't need to rely on anyone other than your own ability to Charm =P
[+]
 Asura.Gavvy
Server: Asura
user: Kumbai
By Asura.Gavvy 2009-08-28 17:57:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Your profile says you have Wood 100~ maybe do RNG then, since you can make your ammo, which will make it pretty cheap. You get to pew, do good dmg, and you'll get good invites.
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2009-08-28 18:07:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I have been trying to decide the same thing..

I don't play much during the day only at night. I've done a little bit of everything on this game as far as jobs go..I have 3 DD's and 3 mage jobs. So when I picked a new job to lvl, I wanted to pick a job that was something new for me and something that potentially gets invites quick. In the end I was thinking either Brd, or Pld(nin would also prolly work)..I am going to lvl pld to 50 or so..If I love it I'll take it to 75 if not brd here I come.

Don't know if this helps or not, but good luck.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-08-28 19:36:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Buckeyespud said:
I need help deciding what job to stick with. Here is a little about me:

1. I'm extremely casual. I've got a wife, 2 kids, and 2 jobs. I only play a few hours a day, so end game stuff or anything that requires a lot of time isn't for me.

2. I like to do damage. My favorite jobs so far have been monk, black mage, dragoon, and ranger.

3. I'm really impatient. I don't like to take a knee. So some of the mage jobs are out the window. This makes me like ninja because of shadows. Disclaimer: black mage has been okay, because of the good damage it can do.

So for those that have done these jobs, based on the characteristics above, what job would you choose? What job have you enjoyed the most? Is there anything I don't have listed here that I should look at?

PS-I know my profile says I have a level 75 thief. It's a long story (hackers)

Ranger!

Oh, and just curious. Someone hacked your account and lv your thf to 75? I'd be thankful if someone had done that to me, took forever to get thf to 75 lol
 Fairy.Blackmist
Server: Fairy
user: Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2009-08-28 19:50:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I never know what to level, but i enjoyed BLM for the Dmg it can do, in pt & out (solo') but after TOAH areas invites are dead

Sam is allso fun if you like spamming Ws and potentaly dieing >.>

an other fun job is DRK, they dont get as many invites as they should.. but Great Dmg, De buffs, and plenty of misses o.o
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2009-08-28 21:53:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Pastry Chef.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-08-28 22:06:09
Link | Quote | Reply

keke, was thinking it was career-based from the thread title too.

Dirtyfinger said:
BLM ftw! It was my first job i leveled and by far my favorite, i have played other jobs like RDM, SAM and the obvious sub jobs but BLM is what really shines for me as it requires more out the player IMO.

Also with BLM there is a good solo aspect to it in which i think would suit your time restraints.

I would answer more but im at work :(

GL on your choice.
Agreeing with Dirtyfinger (/noface) as my suggestions would be between BLM because it's amazingly useful and you can solo pets all the way to 75 pretty easily and effectively, while SAM will get steady invites to 75 but will require parties and a lot of money the whole way through for gear, while for BLM you're only huuuge expenditures are staves if you go HQ and a handful of spells. Goodluckaru pickin!
 Carbuncle.Luckydeville
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Luckydeville 2009-08-28 22:13:05
Link | Quote | Reply

lol sounds like these hackers PIMPED YOUR RIDE!!!
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
Server: Lakshmi
user: Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2009-08-28 22:13:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Blue Mage would prolly be a good choice.
When you have little time, you can spend it farming spells, something that a lot of blues don't like doing, because of the fact they'd rather spend an hr or two in a party. It does really good solo, and does a lot of dmg if geared correctly, and spent the time farming the spells.
my 2 cents.
 Diabolos.Ghlin
Server: Diabolos
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2009-08-28 22:16:10
Link | Quote | Reply

first and foremost, i'd at least fit your thf in something so you can use it. it wouldn't have to be anything grand either. just so you can help with TH whenever someone needs it.

i wouldn't write-off EG either. a lot of 'high-turnover' LSes will do Dynamis, and you could get the wins, and hang out and accrue enough points til you get TH4. having TH4, your crafts, and then leveling BLM to 75 would pretty much make you set for life.

so my recommendation would be BLM. BLM is a very casual job to level to 75, albeit a boring one. that may be the biggest issue for you. but from what i've watched people do, and from the amount i've played it (up to 65), it's not a boring job when being used for actual events. in fact, it's a blast to play.

tl;dr - BLM hands down.