Odd player hack story
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Phoenix.Astronym
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: astronym
By Phoenix.Astronym 2009-08-21 19:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

this is a silly question. but seems right to ask here.

what is a key log and how do you guard against it?

what precautions can you take to not have this issue if you play on pc?

im asking cause i got a new laptop and i will be starting to play on it in a few weeks and seems like hacking issues come up only on pc, and not pn ps2 platform. not sure about xbox.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2009-08-21 19:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Astronym said:
this is a silly question. but seems right to ask here.

what is a key log and how do you guard against it?

what precautions can you take to not have this issue if you play on pc?

im asking cause i got a new laptop and i will be starting to play on it in a few weeks and seems like hacking issues come up only on pc, and not pn ps2 platform. not sure about xbox.

A keylogger is a hack that infects your system and logs the key strokes you make, and sends them to w/e so they can try to get your password from it.

Firefox with no script, firewall and good protection software but even all this won't help if you go randomly clicking ***. Going on the internet is like sex... use protection or your gunna catch something... The only way to completely protect yourself is unplugging your ethernet cable...
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-08-21 20:01:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Sekundes said:
The only way to completely protect yourself is unplugging your ethernet cable...

Pic related.

User submitted image

Sadly with Wi-Fi now, AIDS can spread wirelessly ; ;
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Unicorn.Emirii
Server: Unicorn
user: Emerii1
By Unicorn.Emirii 2009-08-21 22:09:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I am wondering if anyone have heard of "back door" or "windows" that people can see directly into your computer and even "take over" programs from your computer. My friend has on of these programs, its called turkojan, the user can practically control any computer in the world with it and steal processes. I am wondering if this is how they are doing it? Most is undetectable by any antivirus.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2009-08-21 22:19:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Computers in general, windows in particular, have so many paths you could pretty much call them swiss cheese... Securing all those gateways is pretty much impossible if you want to have even functional access to the internet. Browsers are probably the easiest way to get in. Although improvements like chrome are making it far more secure than before.
[+]
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-08-21 22:39:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Emirii said:
I am wondering if anyone have heard of "back door" or "windows" that people can see directly into your computer and even "take over" programs from your computer. My friend has on of these programs, its called turkojan, the user can practically control any computer in the world with it and steal processes. I am wondering if this is how they are doing it? Most is undetectable by any antivirus.

Well with a trojan/backdoor you can basically fully control a computer remotely, it's like exactly like being in front of it. However most of antivirus detects that and ALL software firewall will detect that also, no exception. These trojans are used by script kiddie anyway, it doesn't require any knowledge to use these. What's complicated is finding a way to infect your future victim. From browser exploits, to security hole in your operating system, or through MSN spam, shitload of ways to infect someone. Some people are just easy target, send them a file called picture.jpg.exe, they'll open it, if no antivirus/firewall = instant win.

Then all you have to do is taking control of the remote machine. Was doing that ***when I was 11-12 and back in HS, with RL friends computer (not to harm them, just for fun and doing ***like opening their CD player or turning their screen off); anyone can do it really.

Famous software at the time were Netbus (1.5x/1.7x, 2.0+ was ***), Netsphere, Back Orifice, Sub7 etc. I suppose these improved by now lol, talking about 1999 software here.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2009-08-22 10:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah lol i sub7'ed my best friend and he actually called the police. they laughed at him XD
 Lakshmi.Rylis
Server: Lakshmi
user: Rylis
By Lakshmi.Rylis 2009-08-22 11:54:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone who really tries to make the argument that SE = RMT is just a paranoid imbecile.

First, the majority of these sites run across many different games. You honestly believe that SE just decided that, for good measure, they'll go run a scam that wouldn't work when they don't own the game? Yes, it COULD be that they commission these RMT or some such, but the problem with that is my next point.

SE does not need to have an account hacked to create items.. Or gil, or what have you.. An easier method, which doesn't disgruntle their members, is to distribute the means to create these things to the RMT, and then they can say they're working against those who may create resources in the game. And if you think that they might simply have 'created' the account scare to sell tokens.. Seriously? The token was a physical item, that had to be shipped. That couldn't have been done for free, so that $10 would have come out to a fair amount less.. Whereas a single account's subscription has to be 12.95 or more.. And that doesn't have any inherent costs, it's just a digital license, really..

It's like trying to build a table.. SE could just try to build the table, and in the end, they'd probably have the table. Or, they could try to build a robot that they think could build a table. In the end, maybe they can build the robot, despite its complexity, but the robot may or may not be able to build a table. Which is simply an analogy saying: SE could create gil for RMT to sell, or they can create a method for RMT to pirate character's accounts in the hopes that those accounts have enough to justify their being stolen.

As for being hacked.. The only thing I can imagine is that, regardless of some way to foil the token, they would have had to have lost their account ID and pass to some sort of logger. Or manually input it somewhere they shouldn't have. Seemingly, if the token is bust, and someone can get around it, then the idea is still the same.. Protect your butt, and you shouldn't get raped.
[+]
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Server: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2009-08-22 13:28:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno this seems fishy

either someone holding back info on the situation
or
Someone In your house did the dirty deed
Or
Its a serious security flaw

But yeah it doesn't seem right
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2009-08-22 14:00:39
Link | Quote | Reply

the person in question found a trojan in IE temporary internet files. from other stories coming out this seems to be the general consensus. it also seems to be getting by alot of virus scans and firewalls.

for those of you still using IE. switch to firefox and get addons. this isnt foolproof but its a bit more secure.

If new stories come out please keep us posted. There is also a thread on BG concerning this.
 Alexander.Syxx
Server: Alexander
user: Stylesz
By Alexander.Syxx 2009-08-22 14:18:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Antipika said:
Sekundes said:
The only way to completely protect yourself is unplugging your ethernet cable...

Pic related.

User submitted image

Sadly with Wi-Fi now, AIDS can spread wirelessly ; ;

lololol
 Sylph.Izey
Server: Sylph
user: Izey
By Sylph.Izey 2009-08-22 14:40:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok heres the thing. After being hacked 2 times within the time frame of about 1-2 months. I have concluded this from talkin with Information center and GMs.

(1) Even after GMs knowing who took you items after your account has been compromised. GMs will not do anything.

(2) When people send items from the account they hacked, threw the delivery box to another character, all they have to is click the name slot like twice after the items have been sent. This allows so no one sees where the items were sent. I'm fairly certain it would not be hard to just pop a list up of all items sent to what character when and where.

(3) GMs can do this (2).

(4) Information center doesnt do much but handle billing information and 1 time data recovery business. Since hackers or RMts or w/e, give SE more money apperently? They are allowed to continue as they please hacking accounts.

(5) Because of (4) SE makes security token, and makes TONS of money to give us a false sence of security for our accounts which many of us has worked on for years on end, even if the token does in fact works. If you do not have it you are very likely to get hacked (SE can easily prevent this, or easily find out who took your ***and get it back and ban them ~FACT).

(6) GMs only have limited power on to what they are allowed to do, who they can bann and why. F@#% your mom you JP, will get you banned. Someone who steals all your ***from your account, and GMs knows about this wont get banned.

~How do I know this? I contact for atleast 2 months every 2 days SE information center regardings my account. Everyday contact GMs regarding my account, while it was still out of my reach. 2 of which GMs said to me "Yes I belive you are correct in that this person has stolen your items." No Bs... they know who, but chances are they are not allowed to do anything about it because SE will profit from it.

(7) Information on people or RMTs or hackers or w/e, compromising accounts must be mailed to the (STFU) so they can handle the matter. *** WITH UN DENIE ABLE EVIDENCE *** SE choose to ignore the emails sent by me and about 12 of my friends/family, with multiple accounts about this matter, and did nothing. I've conclucded like many others ~STFU~ simply means (Shut the f#%% up). SE doesnt care.
[+]
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-08-22 14:57:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
(5) Because of (4) SE makes security token, and makes TONS of money to give us a false sence of security for our accounts which many of us has worked on for years on end, even if the token does in fact works. If you do not have it you are very likely to get hacked (SE can easily prevent this, or easily find out who took your ***and get it back and ban them ~FACT).

SE do not make security token, they buy it from a 3rd party company, and probably do not make any profit selling it back to us, seeing the price tag of $9.99 include worldwide S&H. Not to mention the server side cost for SE, managing all these token etc... Deploying something like this cost some money.

SE makes more money selling you shitty add-ons you complete in 1 day. Nothing to ship, no extra cost...
[+]
 Carbuncle.Taintedone
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Taintedone 2009-08-22 16:04:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm wondering is there anything that can be done? Say you suspect you might have a keylogger but haven't quite been hacked yet, but are suspecting that you might because of some weird disconnections lately. Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of the keylogger?
 Midgardsormr.Playerone
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Playerone
By Midgardsormr.Playerone 2009-08-22 16:09:50
Link | Quote | Reply

hehehehe back door
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-08-22 16:15:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Taintedone said:
I'm wondering is there anything that can be done? Say you suspect you might have a keylogger but haven't quite been hacked yet, but are suspecting that you might because of some weird disconnections lately. Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of the keylogger?

Run your antivirus/malware removal software and hope that if there is such a program on your computer, it will catch it. Nothing is 100%, short of reinstalling your OS. Odds are if you are bugged you wouldn't know without it either executing or you catching it first.
 Pandemonium.Liquidz
Server: Pandemonium
user: liquidz
By Pandemonium.Liquidz 2009-08-22 16:44:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Thunderz said:
When I got my token and failed so understand how it worked properly I failed my login like 20x

So RMT possibly got a random number generator to crack into your acc after they keylog you

O.o its pretty simple when you think about it just takes time

When someone enters the wrong numbers from token you should get disconnected anyway, try it if you use windower. While you are online just open a second PoL and enter the wrong token code, your first screen will get the "user logged in on another terminal" message and you will be disconnected.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2009-08-22 17:03:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats interesting O.o

but Im still iffy about this

lots of unknown surround this
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2009-08-22 22:05:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Liquidz said:

When someone enters the wrong numbers from token you should get disconnected anyway, try it if you use windower. While you are online just open a second PoL and enter the wrong token code, your first screen will get the "user logged in on another terminal" message and you will be disconnected.

Sounds like it'd be pretty easy to *** with people while they are trying to play even with out the token.
 Sylph.Izey
Server: Sylph
user: Izey
By Sylph.Izey 2009-08-23 09:59:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I doubt they dont profit from this but in anycase, the rest of my post doesnt make sence, if it was that bad for business they wouldve dealt with this long ago because they can, like they say as long as we're still here and stayin payin them money, they really wont do much to make things better. (I'm not saying they havent cause they have). But there are much much much more easier way to deal with this hacking problem, and who your items and such are being sent to anyway, which for some odd reason SE refuses to deal with. (Hmmm I wonder why).
 Diabolos.Crumb
Server: Diabolos
user: armatiac
By Diabolos.Crumb 2009-08-23 13:18:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Jile said:
3) I'll hate myself for saying this but...SE should just sell gil, by doing so it murders the RMT market... Just make all items bought with that gil R/Ex so it takes it off the market forever...

if SE sells gil for real money it will introduce new gil into the economy causing inflation to rise at a ridiculous rate.

I also play eve-online, which has the option of purchasing a game time code from a website or a retail location to use as credit towards play time, 30, 60, 90, 180 and 365 day increments. CCP the company behind eve-online provides a SECURE time code exchange service on their website where players can "sell" time codes they bought with real cash to other players for in-game currency. This method cuts down on players using the services of RMT and does not introduce more currency into the game. All in all the best method of combating RMT that i have ever encountered. hopefully SE will pull their heads out of their *** for ffxiv and not absolutley require 1 month recurring cc payments.
 Cerberus.Jiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-08-23 13:26:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Izey said:
Ok heres the thing. After being hacked 2 times within the time frame of about 1-2 months. I have concluded this from talkin with Information center and GMs.

(1) Even after GMs knowing who took you items after your account has been compromised. GMs will not do anything.

(2) When people send items from the account they hacked, threw the delivery box to another character, all they have to is click the name slot like twice after the items have been sent. This allows so no one sees where the items were sent. I'm fairly certain it would not be hard to just pop a list up of all items sent to what character when and where.

(3) GMs can do this (2).

(4) Information center doesnt do much but handle billing information and 1 time data recovery business. Since hackers or RMts or w/e, give SE more money apperently? They are allowed to continue as they please hacking accounts.

(6) GMs only have limited power on to what they are allowed to do, who they can bann and why. F@#% your mom you JP, will get you banned. Someone who steals all your ***from your account, and GMs knows about this wont get banned.

~How do I know this? I contact for atleast 2 months every 2 days SE information center regardings my account. Everyday contact GMs regarding my account, while it was still out of my reach. 2 of which GMs said to me "Yes I belive you are correct in that this person has stolen your items." No Bs... they know who, but chances are they are not allowed to do anything about it because SE will profit from it.

(7) Information on people or RMTs or hackers or w/e, compromising accounts must be mailed to the (STFU) so they can handle the matter. *** WITH UN DENIE ABLE EVIDENCE *** SE choose to ignore the emails sent by me and about 12 of my friends/family, with multiple accounts about this matter, and did nothing. I've conclucded like many others ~STFU~ simply means (Shut the f#%% up). SE doesnt care.

Thank you. Somebody else who has been through the same ***I've been through speaking up.
 Shiva.Drteeth
Server: Shiva
user: Drteeth
By Shiva.Drteeth 2009-08-23 15:05:58
Link | Quote | Reply

The only times I have ever seen anyone get hacked was when it was their own fault. They probably got a keylogger from a site they deny visiting.

And the notion of SE hacking their own players' accounts to make profit is still ridiculous, as they can generate their own items/gil at will.
 Cerberus.Jiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-08-23 20:42:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Drteeth said:
The only times I have ever seen anyone get hacked was when it was their own fault. They probably got a keylogger from a site they deny visiting.

And the notion of SE hacking their own players' accounts to make profit is still ridiculous, as they can generate their own items/gil at will.

I said a handful of disgruntled GMs hacking players and selling for their own profit, not SE as a whole. (though I still believe it may be possible SE using RMT for extra profit, anyway.)

Regardless, If SE wanted to, there are things SE could do to combat, or help ease the pain of hackers gaining access, whether it be refunding people a months worth of playtime for being in "frozen" stasis, or just restricting /tell's from trial accounts. Whatever they do, SOMETHING is better then what they ARE doing, which is little to nothing, for their player base.
 Shiva.Drteeth
Server: Shiva
user: Drteeth
By Shiva.Drteeth 2009-08-23 21:06:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Again, how can you say SE is behind the RMT? It still makes NO sense. That's like saying SE controls RMT on all the other MMOs. Brogame sells currency for those games, too.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-08-23 21:24:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Drteeth said:
Again, how can you say SE is behind the RMT? It still makes NO sense. That's like saying SE controls RMT on all the other MMOs. Brogame sells currency for those games, too.

That's definitely not what he's saying.
 Carbuncle.Akada
Server: Carbuncle
user: Akada
By Carbuncle.Akada 2009-08-23 22:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

That says a lot about a company when its own player base thinks its behind account hackings. :(
 Unicorn.Smurfo
Server: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-08-23 22:35:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Akada said:
That says a lot about a company when its own player base thinks its behind account hackings. :(

No, just a few paranoid schizophrenics does not constitute "the player base"
[+]
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2009-08-23 22:41:53
Link | Quote | Reply

SE is still a evil *** bag for how they deal with their customers
[+]