~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 137 138 139
 Sylph.Dravidian
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Eliseus
By Sylph.Dravidian 2015-11-08 13:27:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally love DT/ACC sets, they are just problematic in current end game for multiple reasons. If you are doing magic burns for example, you are most likely using scholars in your burn. Your DPS contribution in these setups is not only minimal at best to the point you should just ask for fusion and burst holy, but you could screw up the constant SCs that are going. On top of that you typically can't hit a lot of this current end game as a melee let alone a PLD. Enlight II does help, but it's not worth it imo even using the /run trick to basically keep full ACC from enlight. Therefore the next best options is to maximize tanking potential.

That all being said, before I power search it does anyone have decent resist ailments sets off hand? Or better yet, using resist charms effectiveness on stuff like Vir'ava as a PLD being worthwhile?
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
Server: Leviathan
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2015-11-08 13:31:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you for the testing info, i'll mess around with it this week sometime. Any known way to break the 50% -bdt? Since Mdt + Aegis, and PDt+ Burtgang, would assume there has to be a way to break that 50% cap...well hope so at least.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2015-11-08 13:39:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Brotherhood said: »
Thank you for the testing info, i'll mess around with it this week sometime. Any known way to break the 50% -bdt? Since Mdt + Aegis, and PDt+ Burtgang, would assume there has to be a way to break that 50% cap...well hope so at least.
There's no known cap breaking BDT. Pretty much all you can do after 50% BDT is stack magic evasion to try for resists. Well, or hope for an absorb proc.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2015-11-08 14:30:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I've gotten hit by enough breaths to say pretty confidently (~94%) that whoever (was an older thread) said that Shadow Ring worked on breaths was an idiot and/or didn't know what moves were breath-type.
 Asura.Darvamos
VIP
Server: Asura
user: Demmis
By Asura.Darvamos 2015-11-08 15:43:40
Link | Quote | Reply

We were talking about MDT augments in RUN forum the other day and I had tested WKR MDT augments a while back and I just went and tested Cizin Hands +1 with MDT. Both the Cizin aug and the WKR aug counted as BDT just like dark ring does. I used the same NM as the original Dark Ring test in Aby - Kon.

Its really seeming like anything that is an MDT augment counts for BDT too. Can you think of anything else bides rings, wkr and skirmish gear that can get augment mdt? If so I'll go test.

Edit: I just thought of some SR gear that does. Will check it out later tonight.

Update: Founder Corona with 3% MDT augment dropped Balaur's Breaths to 816. Another piece of augment MDT working :)
[+]
 Valefor.Pairak
Server: Valefor
user: Pairak
By Valefor.Pairak 2015-11-13 10:49:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Quick question when subbing BLU, if (when) your spells get resisted, do they still generate Emnity?
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2015-11-13 12:39:14
Link | Quote | Reply

They generate the same enmity regardless. It isn't any different from when /RDM was a thing for tanking.
By Selindrile 2015-11-15 02:58:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Shield bash's stun, affected by Macc? I know it's traditionally just an enmity ability but, I've successfully stunned No Quarter with it once, then the next time he didn't get stunned, if I could add Macc to my bash set just for improving my odds of stunning that, seems worth it if just for that fight, not that he's really dangerous even weak but, saves weakness and having to spend time raising etc.
 Cerberus.Devlin
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Devlin 2015-11-18 07:58:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone have any ideas or hopes for the new aeonic shield?
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-11-18 08:15:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Devlin said: »
It's hard to say, Aegis does the magic side of things, Ochain does the physical, how do you introduce a new shield without somehow invalidating the other 2, a BDT shield? That would be very niche so arguably not worth the effort.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2015-11-18 10:13:24
Link | Quote | Reply

From the looks of it, it's just trying to be a "jack of all trades" shield.
Is it known how much shield skill Ochain has behind the scenes?
Srivatsa is listed to have +129, which I think still won't be enough to compare to Ochain.
 Cerberus.Devlin
By Cerberus.Devlin 2015-11-18 10:14:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess we'll see then. Would be nice if it was a best of both worlds seeing how it'll be fun getting.
 Shiva.Stiftelsen
Server: Shiva
user: Monko
By Shiva.Stiftelsen 2015-11-18 10:57:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Cherrywine said: »
Srivatsa is listed to have +129, which I think still won't be enough to compare to Ochain.
I believe it is +300 Shield Skill for Ochain.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2015-11-18 19:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Stiftelsen said: »
Fenrir.Cherrywine said: »
I believe it is +300 Shield Skill for Ochain.
If were were talking about a size 3 shield, that'd be pretty close.

It would take an additional 298 skill for a size 3 to catch up with Ochain's block rate.(Note, just talking actual block rate, not overall dmg reduced)

But Srivasta is a Size 5, like Aegis. So a bit less.

To match Ochain's block rate with a size 5 shield it would take +272 shield skill. Again, Just block rate.

Now then, let's get into how things actually stand.
Cerberus.Devlin said: »

I usually do these in text, but I guess I didn't save the spreadsheet after I ran the numbers, so all I have left is a snip I made to send to someone. eh. Don't really feel like typing that out. The formatting is a PITA. Anyway.

Estimated values for Srivatsa based on it's shield size, and skill+, against lvl 126 mobs. And of course, compared to other leading shields.

Columns labeled [R] are the calculated reprisal up blockrate.

As it stands... Why does this shield even exist? I mean, if Ochain and Priwen+Reprisal didn't exists, then it'd be great, but... Not seeing much reason to go to the effort right now. If we get enough Blockrate+/Decent shield skill+ gear then things might shift a bit. But on higher mobs Ochain would just pull ahead again.

Maybe someone will make one anyway, and test it for hidden effects and the like... But really, it feels like SE is kinda past that stuff. They pretty much tell us these things now.

Unless something startling is discovered about Srivatsa... Disappointing Shield is disappointing.

And on that note, I look forward to having my ilvl Aegis/Ochain dreams crushed in the near future... <,<;
[+]
 Cerberus.Devlin
By Cerberus.Devlin 2015-11-18 19:23:13
Link | Quote | Reply

We all can dream!
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2015-11-22 22:47:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, a Friend in game and I were talking Breath damage. In the Calculation for Breath damage taken on BGWIKI she pointed out
:Corrected Damage = (Breath Base Damage)×(1 -% Breath Damage Taken -% Damage Taken)

as it is not my way to know what this means, she says -bdt is calculated before -dt. Would anyone know a way to test this or have a link to a test that has been done or some way to test it?
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2015-11-22 23:39:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, a Friend in game and I were talking Breath damage. In the Calculation for Breath damage taken on BGWIKI she pointed out
:Corrected Damage = (Breath Base Damage)×(1 -% Breath Damage Taken -% Damage Taken)

as it is not my way to know what this means, she says -bdt is calculated before -dt. Would anyone know a way to test this or have a link to a test that has been done or some way to test it?

DT is BDT and subject to the same cap 50% regular cap. PDT/MDT/BDT are type specific reductions while DT is all three at once.

If you had
-10% DT Ring
-5% DT Back
-5% BDT (something)

You would have a total of 10 + 5 + 5 = 20% BDT, 15% PDT and 15% MDT.
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2015-11-23 14:09:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Right, as stated over this whole thread DT covers mdt/pdt/bdt but what I asked is of those 4... Which would get mathed 1st? Does it follow Dt> Bdt or Bdt> dt to find the "Which goes 1st in order" Already know the -dt covers all damage types except DD (Direct Damage) just wana know so can tell my friend.
 Phoenix.Neosutrax
Server: Phoenix
user: neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutrax 2015-11-24 12:40:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Howdy strangers. How's the game treating everyone? I keep checking in here and so much keeps changing. I'm seeing 99,999 damage magic bursts and some new end game weapons being added.

How's Paladin holding up? Still useful? Pure turtle tank while others SC/MB the current use? PLD doing any damage now?

I'd come back and play a bit if it wouldn't take me a month to figure out what's going on.
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2015-11-24 13:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Right, as stated over this whole thread DT covers mdt/pdt/bdt but what I asked is of those 4... Which would get mathed 1st? Does it follow Dt> Bdt or Bdt> dt to find the "Which goes 1st in order" Already know the -dt covers all damage types except DD (Direct Damage) just wana know so can tell my friend.

It's simple addition; it doesn't matter.
 Valefor.Omnys
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2015-11-24 16:53:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I've just come back to the game and climbing my way back up. I've got Aegis and Ochain, but the path ahead is long.

However, I'm kinda feeling like switching to Nuevo Coselete and Enif/Homam/augmented Blood Cuisses for anything other than Flash and Ni is becoming a bad idea. Losing up to and more than 200 defense and up to 15% -DT/PDT/MDT and stat-vomit hurts a little on long casts.

Ichi's a toss-up, quicker casting is great and all, but taking a hit in weak gear hurts (though I guess /nin isn't a big sub right now)..
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2015-11-25 00:33:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »
I've just come back to the game and climbing my way back up. I've got Aegis and Ochain, but the path ahead is long.

However, I'm kinda feeling like switching to Nuevo Coselete and Enif/Homam/augmented Blood Cuisses for anything other than Flash and Ni is becoming a bad idea. Losing up to and more than 200 defense and up to 15% -DT/PDT/MDT and stat-vomit hurts a little on long casts.

Ichi's a toss-up, quicker casting is great and all, but taking a hit in weak gear hurts (though I guess /nin isn't a big sub right now)..
If you're talking about using these pieces for precast:

If you use Gearswap there's absolutely no defensive reason not to use them. Gearswaps precast to midcast swap has literally no delay. You can receive the effects of the midcast gear even on and instant cast(Quick magic) proc.

This means that it's literally impossible for you to get hit in your precast gear,(assuming that your midcast swap changes you out of the precast gear)

Even if you aren't using gearswap, the precast to midcast window is still pretty damn narrow if your macros/scripts whatever your using are well made. I don''t consider it to be a significant gap in your defenses.

Regarding using them Midcast for recast reduction:

Yeah, on longer casts, it's a good way to get your *** kicked. May want to consider higher ilvl alternatives.

We got a lot of new ilvl fast cast gear recently, though. So at least there are some alternatives.
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2015-11-25 02:24:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I should have been more clear. That's exactly what I'm doing is just precasting in neuvo/etc. Obviously I leave fastcast accessories on through the cast, but I get out of that old gear asap. I have watched in my equipment window to see just how fast gearswap works and it's pretty incredible.

I quit in 2013, all but the snow-delve boss was out and my ls had killed them all. Back then, ilvl was cool but the old -dt% sets still worked well (there wasn't a whole lot of ilvl -dt gear in the first place).

However, I came back to the game, tossed on my Mekira Mekogai/Creed Cuirass, etc, and got brutally stomped by even exp-mobs in Reisenjama.

I definitely think the guide should note, to the newbie paladin, that defense, magic-eva, hp and the stat-vomit really matter a lot.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-11-25 02:51:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm when was the update to defence that actually made it worth a damn? If PDT in non-ilvl gear was working when you quit I guess you might have quit before the update to defence.
 Cerberus.Midgitis
By Cerberus.Midgitis 2015-11-25 06:32:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »
I definitely think the guide should note, to the newbie paladin, that defense, magic-eva, hp and the stat-vomit really matter a lot.

These stats on gear make a lot of sense in terms of what they do. Effectively increasing your character's base stats is the biggest boost in everything, be it damage or survivability. A lot of people dislike the direction ilvl went, but it was brilliantly designed just horribly explained.

Glad you see the value of the "stat vomit" as people call it in arrogance when in actuality it is providing you with effective job levels through terms of gear rather than actual levels. It circumvents what very well could be a restriction built into the game not allowing us to go beyond lvl 99 or preventing balance issues with sub jobs.

Wish I were as good at explaining it as I am at understanding it, then everyone could pick up on it but maybe someone else is and can write it up.
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2015-11-25 12:31:04
Link | Quote | Reply

In truth, I think the whole purpose of 119 was that gear was just too powerful. They were probably struggling with how to top things like Thaumas Coat. How do you make something better than that?

So "stat-vomit" makes the old all-powerful gear undesirable or unuseable in a lot of situations.

It's not arrogance, people liked gear having longevity. There's nothing wrong with that. If [you] want a game where you're replacing most/all of your gear every tier, [you] can go play <every other game on the market>.
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2015-12-03 13:59:04
Link | Quote | Reply

So, question..

Do fake-hp cure kits work for good enmity again, or not worth the trouble? For tanking something at a distance.

Haven't been back long and rebuilding sets.
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-12-03 14:02:44
Link | Quote | Reply

A cure cheat set is one of the absolute best things you can do for enmity at the moment. Building a good one will vastly improve your tanking ability.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2015-12-03 14:08:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks, I honestly figured it would be worth the effort, that's why I asked. I always liked cure-kits pre-aby.
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 137 138 139