users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Dev Tracker - news, discussions
Dev Tracker - news, discussions
First Page 2 3 ... 179 180 181 ... 201 202 203
By Afania 2017-10-05 15:50:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Avallon said: »
DirectX said: »
But if you need Refresh and will not get hit at all there are better gear sets right? Requires an Omen body drop and Befouled Crown from Vagary though (no idea how easy/hard it is to get).

Knowing when to switch from DT Idle to Refresh Idle was part of the healing strategy as a WHM doing Master Trials regardless of content. Both sets have pros and cons depending on what is happening. Getting hit with Veil of Chaos while in Refresh set hurt... a lot.

There's no escaping being hit as a WHM. At some point you're drawn into the fight whether redoing barspells, other buffs or having reached the Shadow Lord portion of the fight (and everyone is standing together).

Fixed for accuracy :)
 Fenrir.Caiir
VIP
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Caiir 2017-10-05 17:46:14
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 353556

You can aim for this which covers both. Omen body is the only real stretch outside of Moonlight (which actually isn't required), but you can always replace 1-2 Inyanga with PDT pieces if you're that concerned. You really don't need to swap between idle sets any more.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2017-10-05 17:57:24
Link | Quote | Reply

That is a lot of magic evasion, holy ***.
 Asura.Warusha
user: Serithus
By Asura.Warusha 2017-10-05 17:58:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Caiir said: »
ItemSet 353556

You can aim for this which covers both. Omen body is the only real stretch outside of Moonlight (which actually isn't required), but you can always replace 1-2 Inyanga with PDT pieces if you're that concerned. You really don't need to swap between idle sets any more.

Depending on how much support you have, you'll still want full refresh idle. Additionally, you can throw in additional status resist pieces if you won't be getting hit by physical AoE.

Also equating omen bodies and moonlight back made me laugh. I wish it was that simple to acquire.
 Fenrir.Caiir
VIP
By Fenrir.Caiir 2017-10-05 18:03:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't equate it? They're both just the only things in the set that take above minimum effort.

The set gives 7 refresh, you can get up to 10 depending on the empty slot choices, and you have a LOT of magic evasion. Your cures are free. You don't need more Refresh, I promise.
[+]
 Fenrir.Caiir
VIP
By Fenrir.Caiir 2017-10-05 18:07:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, that aside, where else are you really getting more Refresh? Unity legs?

SICK UPDATES:

Mafic Cudgel gives 10PDT. You can use that, keep Inyanga +2, and switch to one of the many Refresh+2-3 bodies until Kei* finally puts out after 12 years at minimal loss.

Anyway, there are definitely situations where you may want to switch out PDT pieces for MEVA or such, but there is next to zero justification to sacrifice PDT for Refresh unless you are literally guaranteed to not take damage.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Warusha
user: Serithus
By Asura.Warusha 2017-10-05 19:18:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry for the delay in response. Refresh 2 chironic pieces, stikini +1 x2, contemplator +1. I personally go through a lot of mp with Fu in particular. Ebullient Nullification means you need to acession + Protect V, accesion + Shell V, redo haste etc. Or get into range right after it absorbed plenty of buffs(yikes). I'm not disagreeing that your set isn't good. I use that already myself. You can get Refresh in every slot except sub, neck, back(*** off poison tasters), waist.

I think for a lot of people who don't want to keep close track of their idle set- feel free to use inyanga x5. Personally I have three sets: full refresh, pdt, mdb/meva. In my PDT set I add as much refresh as I can after cap. In my MDB set I add as much mdb and meva as I can. You could conceivably get shield block+ with chironic and full pdt as well but I haven't made that commitment yet.
[+]
 Fenrir.Caiir
VIP
By Fenrir.Caiir 2017-10-05 19:23:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, I guess.. sacrificing rings for refresh is 40MP a minute (one cure 3) over a potential 17 PDT though. That's just silly unless, as I said, you're at actual 0 risk of taking damage. There's never a time where you should be weighing Refresh against PDT.

We don't even bother re-upping pro/shell for Fu, though.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2017-10-05 19:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Inyanga ring is also one of the few non-terrible Ambuscade rings, and can find a place in some idle setups.
[+]
 Fenrir.Caiir
VIP
By Fenrir.Caiir 2017-10-05 19:48:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, it's definitely a nice option. If you actually have Omen body, you can cap PDT and MDT (without shell) with that while gaining another Refresh tic and some MEVA.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-10-05 20:06:57
Link | Quote | Reply

The massive MEVD + resist of Inyanga can't be overstated, it really is that potent. Many a wipes occur due to the healer getting hit by a powerful attack or by suffering from debilitating status ailments that delays their cure reaction.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
Server: Bismarck
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-10-05 20:15:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
The massive MEVD + resist of Inyanga can't be overstated, it really is that potent. Many a wipes occur due to the healer getting hit by a powerful attack or by suffering from debilitating status ailments that delays their cure reaction.

The ring is pretty good too. Lots of people overlook it, for some reason.Omen +3 WHM body with 3 refresh but 20 less m.eva might be a good enough trade off as well.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2017-10-06 11:12:02
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys are brave, I always immediately recast Pro/Shell on the tank after every Ebullient. (After giving them a nice solid cureskin of course. In fact it usually ends up being Cure4 for cureskin > Shell5 > Cure4 again to re-up cureskin even though they're full HP > Protect5.)

Cureskin is great at buying you time to cast other stuff like that.

If that seems drastic, the way I see it, it's not my job as a WHM to assume Fu won't get enough buffs to one-shot the tank. In fact, my job is to assume he WILL absorb enough to one-shot the tank every single time and to do everything I can to prevent it. Sometimes I'll give Cure5skin or Cure6skin even when they're at full HP if it looks like he got a lot of buffs.

For people saying 10 refresh is plenty, this is the kind of playstyle having even more allows. I have +16~18 in my main idle build currently. I blast cureskins for 0HP constantly. The fastest cure in the world won't save someone who's one-shotted, but cureskin can. That said, I do have PDT & MEva builds similar to Warusha, and I use them frequently.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-10-06 12:13:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Your burning massive amounts of MP for little to no gain, no wonder your going to have MP issues.

Cure V should only be used in the utmost emergencies, Cure III and IV is what should be used. Cure VI should be unlearned and forgotten. If Fu is capable of one shoting your tank then you already have massive issues and cure skin isn't going to save you. I get the idea behind preemptively maintaining cureskin during high DPS phases of fights, but in this situation he's going to eventually kill you it's merely a matter of time. I've main healed Fu fights as a RDM before, not a big deal.

Post deleted by User.
By Scintila 2017-10-06 13:38:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Not using emp pants? i'm full mp no matter how much i heal, only dent on my mp pool is arise.
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2017-10-06 13:44:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Your burning massive amounts of MP for little to no gain, no wonder your going to have MP issues.
What gave you the impression I have MP issues? I never run out. Even when I change to PDT/MEva builds I tend to use the same healing strategy if a bit scaled back, but still frequently doing Cure4s for less than 50 HP without MP issues.

I totally get where you're coming from, before I started curing this way if you'd asked me if it was a good idea I would've said "no way that's stupid." But the more I started curing that way, I became addicted to it. There's no downside as long as you don't run out of MP. Your tank loses less enmity from damage taken, you get nice little windows of safety where it's safe to cast non-cure spells because everyone has stoneskin up (keeping up Accession Regen4, for example, is much easier with this strategy), and people being one-shotted becomes almost impossible.

So yeah, call it wasteful, call it whatever, but don't knock it until you've tried it. The benefits are amazing. People don't die on my watch unless they take like 5k damage from something crazy.

If Fu is capable of one shoting your tank then you already have massive issues and cure skin isn't going to save you.
That's absolutely 100% not true. I've kept tanks alive through Fu windows where they were getting hit for over 1k damage per swing. Without curing the way I do, that's not going to happen, he will land one right after a TP move or spell or something and your tank is toast.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Geriond
Server: Odin
user: Gerion
By Odin.Geriond 2017-10-06 14:26:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pergatory said: »
That's absolutely 100% not true. I've kept tanks alive through Fu windows where they were getting hit for over 1k damage per swing. Without curing the way I do, that's not going to happen, he will land one right after a TP move or spell or something and your tank is toast.
1k damage per swing is not "one-shotting".
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-10-06 14:39:35
Link | Quote | Reply

That's absolutely 100% not true. I've kept tanks alive through Fu windows where they were getting hit for over 1k damage per swing

1K per swing isn't one shot territory as tanks typically have 3K+ HP. I thought you were talking about 3K+ per swing, in which case you are going to go down.

What gave you the impression I have MP issues? I never run out. Even when I change to PDT/MEva builds I tend to use the same healing strategy if a bit scaled back, but still frequently doing Cure4s for less than 50 HP without MP issues.

The original discussion was about MEVD builds vs refresh builds with the refresh builds guys talking about them running out of MP.

I have +16~18 in my main idle build currently. I blast cureskins for 0HP constantly. The fastest cure in the world won't save someone who's one-shotted, but cureskin can.
 Sylph.Cherche
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Cherche 2017-10-06 14:44:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Geriond said: »
1k damage per swing is not "one-shotting".
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2017-10-06 15:11:44
Link | Quote | Reply

If they're getting hit for 1k from melee swings alone, then yes, that's one-shot territory. Spells and weaponskills can easily do 2500+ at that point. You guys need to use your brains a little more before rushing to reply and show me how stupid I am.

If they're taking 3k per melee swing, I can keep them alive for a little while but the first nuke he casts is going to kill the tank most likely. (Well, if it's a RUN. Aegis PLD might survive until the first weaponskill instead.)

Of course all that pedantics sorely misses the point: that regardless of how much Fu is hitting for, keeping cureskin up pushes the "one-shot" territory back by a good 600 HP and gives you more breathing room as a healer.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2017-10-06 15:12:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Man i missed when this thread was about dev update notes - not about how op xxx job is in a ez game
[+]
 Asura.Xenomorph
By Asura.Xenomorph 2017-10-06 15:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

If MP isn't an issue and the 0hp cureskins aren't being cast in place of more important spells when needed (-nas, agas, etc), then doing 0hp cureskins can only be helpful especially when the mob has the potential to 1-shot someone.

However, The WHM is probably not the (only) problem if there are issues in boss mechanics such as Fu getting too many buffs and 1-shotting even the tank. This is true given the WHM is not the one giving him the buffs XD.

Even in those nasty situations when mechanics are making things dangerous, the main job of WHM is to keep people alive and fighting, so mad props to those who go through extra lengths to keep their party alive even when they are expecting a wipe at any second. The 0hp cureskin may seem like a lot of work for little to no gain but just remember: Just as DDs strive to maximize DPS even when the differences are small, WHMs strive to maximize survival and time not debuffed.

I'm not saying that one should expect this amount of effort from every WHM, but I enjoy and appreciate the benefits of being in a party with a WHM like Pergatory.
 Odin.Geriond
Server: Odin
user: Gerion
By Odin.Geriond 2017-10-06 15:36:46
Link | Quote | Reply

You know what the definition of one-shot is, right? It's getting killed in a single hit. Taking 2.5k TP then 1k melee is two hits, and is by definition not one-shot territory.

That's not pedantry, it's basic word meaning.
By Afania 2017-10-06 15:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

1) Cureskin all day everyday.
2) Idle in pdt/meva.
3) BRD stop being lazy and give me ballads.

Better safe than sorry on whm, /end thread.
[+]
By Afania 2017-10-06 15:42:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Xenomorph said: »
If MP isn't an issue and the 0hp cureskins aren't being cast in place of more important spells when needed (-nas, agas, etc), then doing 0hp cureskins can only be helpful especially when the mob has the potential to 1-shot someone.

However, The WHM is probably not the (only) problem if there are issues in boss mechanics such as Fu getting too many buffs and 1-shotting even the tank. This is true given the WHM is not the one giving him the buffs XD.

Even in those nasty situations when mechanics are making things dangerous, the main job of WHM is to keep people alive and fighting, so mad props to those who go through extra lengths to keep their party alive even when they are expecting a wipe at any second. The 0hp cureskin may seem like a lot of work for little to no gain but just remember: Just as DDs strive to maximize DPS even when the differences are small, WHMs strive to maximize survival and time not debuffed.

I'm not saying that one should expect this amount of effort from every WHM, but I enjoy and appreciate the benefits of being in a party with a WHM like Pergatory.

Cureskin isn't just about one shot, it buys player extra reaction time to deal with other things. So does other spells such as regen 4.

It may feel unnecessary at times but keeping people alive is about building as many layers or protection as possible, instead of just react to situations and get overwhelmed.
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-10-06 17:25:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
Man i missed when this thread was about dev update notes - not about how op xxx job is in a ez game

The updates (downdates) and their NA notes have been so lacking, this thread would be dead without the discussion aspect of it.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 179 180 181 ... 201 202 203