Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Relic Weapons
Relic Weapons
 Shiva.Drteeth
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Drteeth
By Shiva.Drteeth 2009-08-20 14:06:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure, if you've got 150M+ to spare, go for it. It's just my opinion that spending that much time and gil on getting one weapon that may be situational isn't that smart of a move.

Personally, I'd use the gil to gear up my other jobs instead of improving one by a negligible amount.
 Carbuncle.Taintedone
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Taintedone 2009-08-20 15:01:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Relicant said:
I agree with the above posters...

Aegis, Horn.

The others are either a waste of money outright, or for e-peen status only. Their benefits (in my opinion) are FAR outweighed by their cost. Prime example is the Knucks argument above. yes, they're better, but not by 150+ mil better. Excalibur.. meh, a pally with a hautclaire(sp?) and Atonement is damn near as good if not more useful. In short, yeah...

it's the shield and the horn.

I've heard from several Pld's that they would rather try to get the Hauteclaire and spend the time/gil on Aegis than try to get Excalibur. Idk that all of the Relics other than Aegis and Gjallarhorn (nobody seemed to remember the name of it :D) are a waste of money though I agree that some most definitely are. What about Mandau and Amano? Would you consider those a waste of gil?
 Shiva.Drteeth
By Shiva.Drteeth 2009-08-20 15:21:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Taintedone said:
Relicant said:

Aegis, Horn.

The others are either a waste of money outright, or for e-peen status only. Their benefits (in my opinion) are FAR outweighed by their cost. Prime example is the Knucks argument above. yes, they're better, but not by 150+ mil better. Excalibur.. meh, a pally with a hautclaire(sp?) and Atonement is damn near as good if not more useful. In short, yeah...

I've heard from several Pld's that they would rather try to get the Hauteclaire and spend the time/gil on Aegis than try to get Excalibur. Idk that all of the Relics other than Aegis and Gjallarhorn (nobody seemed to remember the name of it :D) are a waste of money though I agree that some most definitely are. What about Mandau and Amano? Would you consider those a waste of gil?

I've seen some Mandau THFs do some insane damage. In regards to Amano, I've seen Hagun SAMs outdamage them. I'm not saying Amano isn't great, though.
 Caitsith.Xiong
Server: Caitsith
user: Xiong
By Caitsith.Xiong 2009-08-20 15:22:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly guys/girls do you guys have relics to even correctly argue about? j/w I don't have a relic yet either ^^. But honestly horn? don't get me wrong its amazing when it comes to ballad and being able to have one instrument versus 20. Other than the amazing boost to singing/wind skill, all songs +2? so what now? ballad gets a boost, because all the other songs have +2 instruments. Minne & Minuet get stronger boosts because of added skill. So with horn, you made ballad amazing, Minne and Minuet got a boost. You really think its that amazing? other than ballad getting an amazing boost. 15OM?

P.S. I'm not dogging the horn, just stating what I know about the horn. Its still an amazing relic ^^.
 Shiva.Drteeth
By Shiva.Drteeth 2009-08-20 15:24:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Xiong said:
Honestly guys/girls do you guys have relics to even correctly argue about? j/w I don't have a relic yet either ^^. But honestly horn? don't get me wrong its amazing when it comes to ballad and being able to have one instrument versus 20. Other than the amazing boost to singing/wind skill, all songs +2? so what now? ballad gets a boost, because all the other songs have +2 instruments. Minne & Minuet get stronger boosts because of added skill. So with horn, you made ballad amazing, Minne and Minuet got a boost. You really think its that amazing? other than ballad getting an amazing boost. 15OM?

P.S. I'm not dogging the horn, just stating what I know about the horn. Its still an amazing relic ^^.

You can't totally discount carol/march/elegy/threnody, either.
 Carbuncle.Taintedone
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Taintedone 2009-08-20 15:33:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Drteeth said:
Taintedone said:
Relicant said:

Aegis, Horn.

I've seen some Mandau THFs do some insane damage. In regards to Amano, I've seen Hagun SAMs outdamage them. I'm not saying Amano isn't great, though.

Right, but wouldn't the critical hit procs done after Kaiten still out DoT even the Hagun?
 Shiva.Drteeth
By Shiva.Drteeth 2009-08-20 15:35:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not saying it's the norm, all I'm saying is I've seen Hagun SAMs outparse Amano SAMs a few times. Doesn't mean Amano isn't the superior weapon. :3
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-08-20 15:37:09
Link | Quote | Reply

GHorn's awesomeness is largely overstated, but there's no denying it's one of the better relics.

Aegis, Apoc, Amano, Gungnir, Yoichi, Annihlator, Mandau, GHorn, and Bravura are all notable upgrades for their jobs. I would say Kikoku is too anytime you can melee rather than using a EStaff. The rest range from relatively minor upgrades (Spharai) to worthless (HI CLAUSTRUM!!!).

Excalibur is underrated but probably not a notable upgrade. The additional effect is reported to be fairly potent. Unfortunately, Joyeuse performs at least as well in most situations for both RDM and PLD. As TP feeding becomes more of an issue, Excal will grow stronger than Joyeuse. It's a DD upgrade over Hauteclaire in these situations, but Hauteclaire also has physical damage down. Burtgang further lessened its value.

All of this ignores the fact that a relic's power is largely dependent on the quality of the player and their gear.

EDIT: Taintedone: Assuming you gear properly for both, yes and then some.
 Remora.Ampelius
Server: Remora
user: Ampelius
By Remora.Ampelius 2009-08-20 15:39:57
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing about relics is that you get one, then you use it to do the stuff you've already been doing without it. But I guess that goes with all the end game gears... That said I think aegis is best, then gjallarhorn.