First Page 2
 Asura.Lilbuttons
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Rathz
By Asura.Lilbuttons 2015-02-13 14:02:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I get this error: http://i.imgur.com/jeilE4I.png

Have tried pulling the install from Piratebay, from a friend, AND from the official playonline site.

Have tried installing in Safe mode (can't, due to windows installing not running in safe mode.. lol)

Have tried repairing my MSI installer from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweaking_com_repair_msi_%28windows_installer%29.html (because it looks like this error is related to windows installer not working right)

Tried http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/need-to-reinstall-windows-installer-in-windows-7/4cb8e54c-5a4e-439d-9d46-1dcd387d2604

Tried disabling antivirus, didn't work

Tried updating .net framework, didn't work

Tried repairing MSI installer through using sfc/checknow in command prompt. Repaired a lot of stuff, most of which were related to Internet Explorer -_- Didn't solve anything

Tried disabling AV, downloading files from Playonline, installing, didn't work
 Lakshmi.Kyosukerob
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Kyosukerob 2015-02-13 14:07:38
Link | Quote | Reply

You tried the POL installer from the site for win8 or what? And what windows version do you have? Other info might help.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-02-13 14:13:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure it is the same error but the install file from SE requires the data files as well. So you have the MSI installer and the 4? data files? You need to have all 5 downloaded before it will work.
 Asura.Lilbuttons
By Asura.Lilbuttons 2015-02-13 14:18:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I have windows 7 ultimate x64

I haven't tried the POL installer from their site, gunna try that next.
 Bahamut.Souf
Server: Bahamut
user: Souf
By Bahamut.Souf 2015-02-13 14:22:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Better for you, don't forget of your family, your friends, your school or your work.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Neboh
Server: Lakshmi
user: Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2015-02-13 14:29:23
Link | Quote | Reply

PM me.
 Asura.Lilbuttons
By Asura.Lilbuttons 2015-02-13 14:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Souf said: »
Better for you, don't forget of your family, your friends, your school or your work.

Family is 1500 miles away, friends are at work, don't go to school atm, and work will literally come take me from my room and bring me to work if I don't show up so... I think I'm good there.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2015-02-13 14:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

why not download the game from the SE site? just have to DL like 4 files, and it installs everything.
 Asura.Lilbuttons
By Asura.Lilbuttons 2015-02-13 14:49:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said: »
why not download the game from the SE site? just have to DL like 4 files, and it installs everything.

Asura.Lilbuttons said: »

Have tried pulling the install from Piratebay, from a friend, AND from the official playonline site.

Have tried installing in Safe mode (can't, due to windows installing not running in safe mode.. lol)

Have tried repairing my MSI installer from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweaking_com_repair_msi_%28windows_installer%29.html (because it looks like this error is related to windows installer not working right)

Kinda at a stand still... ATM I'm doing http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/need-to-reinstall-windows-installer-in-windows-7/4cb8e54c-5a4e-439d-9d46-1dcd387d2604
 Asura.Lilbuttons
By Asura.Lilbuttons 2015-02-13 14:54:13
Link | Quote | Reply

From what I've been reading, it looks like the problem isn't the files are missing so much as the installer program is ***. Whether that's Windows Installer or the FFXISetup, idk
 Siren.Sieha
Server: Siren
user: Sieha1
By Siren.Sieha 2015-02-13 14:55:12
Link | Quote | Reply

If you cant install it, then its probably a sign. Do destiny instead, its funner.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2015-02-13 14:56:13
Link | Quote | Reply

try running installer under "Run as Administrator"?
 Asura.Lilbuttons
By Asura.Lilbuttons 2015-02-13 15:06:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Sieha said: »
If you cant install it, then its probably a sign. Do destiny instead, its funner.

If Destiny was on PC I would

Bismarck.Misao said: »
try running installer under "Run as Administrator"?

Tried. Ran FFXISETUP.exe as admin and figured that in the subsequent installs, it wouldn't be as admin so I ran setup.exe in extracted/INST1 as admin.. still nada
 Phoenix.Lagian
Server: Phoenix
user: Lagian
By Phoenix.Lagian 2015-02-13 15:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Could possibly be .net framework issues (Doubtful).

The most likely culprit is that you don't have the dataX.cab files or they are in the wrong directory.

First verify that you do indeed have all of the datax.cab files. I believe there is for of them, data1.cab - data4.cab. If you do have them, make sure they are in the same directory as the installer.

It's been a good long while since I've installed FFXI, and even longer doing it bootleg, but I seem to remember those cab files being located in a zip folder. You most likely need to extract them out. I could be wrong on that, does anyone care to verify?
By Jetackuu 2015-02-13 15:36:14
Link | Quote | Reply

disable your av?
 Asura.Lilbuttons
By Asura.Lilbuttons 2015-02-13 15:37:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
disable you av?

Tried, didn't work

Phoenix.Lagian said: »
Could possibly be .net framework issues (Doubtful).

First verify that you do indeed have all of the datax.cab files. I believe there is for of them, data1.cab - data4.cab. If you do have them, make sure they are in the same directory as the installer.

Updated framework, nothing. In INST1 (FFXI install whereas INST2 is all the expansions I think) I have Data1.cab, Data11.cab, and Data12.cab. This errors out on Data1.cab though so I don't think that the others are a problem.
 Phoenix.Lagian
By Phoenix.Lagian 2015-02-13 15:48:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Where is the output path for the installation?
 Asura.Lilbuttons
By Asura.Lilbuttons 2015-02-13 15:56:12
Link | Quote | Reply

C:\Program Files (x86)\Playonline\Final Fantasy

Have also tried to put it on another drive that I have labeled G:\, same errors on both.
 Phoenix.Lagian
By Phoenix.Lagian 2015-02-13 15:57:40
Link | Quote | Reply

It's looking more and more like you .cab file is corrupted. I had similar issues with another installer I downloaded because my antivirus was killing parts of the download.
 Asura.Lilbuttons
By Asura.Lilbuttons 2015-02-13 16:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I use AVG, it'd tell me if it's blocking anything whatsoever. I'll try completely disabling it, downloading, and extracting/installing just in case it's silently doing something
 Asura.Lilbuttons
By Asura.Lilbuttons 2015-02-13 17:01:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Tried the above, didn't work.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-13 17:02:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Sieha said: »
funner.
 Asura.Lilbuttons
By Asura.Lilbuttons 2015-02-13 17:51:28
Link | Quote | Reply

So I ported over my FFXI from my Laptop, and grabbed all the registry entries (properly editted for this computer's FFXI directory). Now I need to figure out how in the *** Playonline Viewer detects what games you have installed, cause I need FFXI to be registered underneath "Check Files" so I can get it up to date.

EDIT - Probably just uses the same detection that the "Uninstall or change a program" thing for Windows does... FFXI doesn't show up on that menu, so how does Windows detect what programs you have installed?
 leo
By leo 2015-02-13 18:04:19
Link | Quote | Reply

It find the games through registry entries.

BUT when it launches the game it calls Windows installer to verify if it's installed correctly.

If you never finished the proper install using Windows installer it will kick back to POL with a error message.

I suggest you read here:

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/download/media/install_win.html

Instead of wasting your time with pirate bay stuff which are very likely corrupted.
 Asura.Lilbuttons
By Asura.Lilbuttons 2015-02-13 18:06:01
Link | Quote | Reply

leo said: »
It find the games through registry entries.

BUT when it launches the game it calls Windows installer to verify if it's installed correctly.

If you never finished the proper install using Windows installer it will kick back to POL with a error message.

I suggest you read here:

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/download/media/install_win.html

Instead of wasting your time with pirate bay stuff which are very likely corrupted.

Tried http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/need-to-reinstall-windows-installer-in-windows-7/4cb8e54c-5a4e-439d-9d46-1dcd387d2604

Tried disabling antivirus, didn't work

Tried updating .net framework, didn't work

Tried repairing MSI installer through using sfc/checknow in command prompt. Repaired a lot of stuff, most of which were related to Internet Explorer -_- Didn't solve anything

Tried disabling AV, downloading files from Playonline, installing, didn't work

Btw the piratebay files are perfectly fine, it's a problem on my end. I don't think it's a problem with the files themselves.

Is there no way to trick windows installer into thinking that I properly installed FFXI? If I can get just that to work, I think my McGyver install should be perfectly fine as all the "corrupt" files will be wiped out with a simple Check Files
 Asura.Kaoriasada
By Asura.Kaoriasada 2015-02-13 18:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Double check and make sure you've FFXi.dll and pol.exe? They give different errors, but I've seen hundreds of different errors for one thing at times.
 Asura.Kaoriasada
By Asura.Kaoriasada 2015-02-13 18:34:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I looked this up:

Error 1334. Error writing to file [file name]. Verify that you have access to that directory.

That's the only thing I can find that offers any type of solution. Another says that they got that error, tried again the next day, and it worked. Google search seems to go in circle. I'm sorry.
 Asura.Lilbuttons
By Asura.Lilbuttons 2015-02-13 18:35:52
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXi.dll is in G:\Playonline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI and pol.exe is in G:\Playonline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer. I don't think this is a problem with the files, I think this is a problem with Windows Installer as the "Error 1334" isn't exclusive to FFXI, but is a global issue (Tons of programs have that problem in installation)

Asura.Kaoriasada said: »
I looked this up:

Error 1334. Error writing to file [file name]. Verify that you have access to that directory.

That's the only thing I can find that offers any type of solution. Another says that they got that error, tried again the next day, and it worked. Google search seems to go in circle. I'm sorry.

I have Admin on my computer, though please walk me through (if you know how) the steps to verify that I have full access to that directory itself. I think I know how, but I'm not 100% about anything at this point.
 Asura.Kaoriasada
By Asura.Kaoriasada 2015-02-13 18:40:50
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXi.dll is in G:\Playonline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI and pol.exe is in G:\Playonline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer. I don't think this is a problem with the files, I think this is a problem with Windows Installer as the "Error 1334" isn't exclusive to FFXI, but is a global issue (Tons of programs have that problem in installation)

I looked this up:

I have Admin on my computer, though please walk me through (if you know how) the steps to verify that I have full access to that directory itself. I think I know how, but I'm not 100% about anything at this point.

I'm not sure myself. I have a general idea, but I'm not a computer expert, and I'd rather not give guidance or something I'm not sure of, or rather I'd prefer not to be responsible if it did something other than you wanted it to.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-02-13 18:45:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I looked this up:

If you can put a file in that directory, you have access.
First Page 2