Dagger!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » Dagger!
Dagger!
 Phoenix.Rumblepakk
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Rumblepakk 2015-01-13 23:02:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I never really see anyone speak about SMN using Daggers,

and I apologize if someone already has...

but I figured, why not try it out myself?

Dagger isn't necessarily good for your avatars damage, but we are given a dagger skill to level up and it can be useful at times.

The TP gain rate for dagger (especially dual wielding if you're subbing DNC) will be pretty quick, and you can have dagger WS's like Energy Drain for MP stealing, which is pretty much another version of Spirit taker, except the mob has to have MP, if I remember correctly, because you're STEALING their MP.

Oh, you're doing Voidwatch in a small party?

Boom. You got dagger skill incase a proc is needed.

And you're having fun at the same time.

Also, as long as you weapon skill first, you can immediatley swap to your staff for your avatar (nirvana, keraunos, frazil, balsam/astralwatcher, etc.) to perform a successful skillchain with your avatar.

And honestly from what I've done so far, my hits land 90% of the time! Hastega II, some pet food (that benefits you as well) and you're set!

I think this would be great for stuff like VW, Delve, Wildskeeper reives, soloing, PVP and BC's.

Gearwise, this is my current set. Very little for the avatar, but giving them something incase I have them out. Caller's pendant for that regain, incase you decide to SC with your avatar and you had apogee up and wanted to magic burst, or you want to use your avatar, like garudas, TP for whispering wind, you have some pet tp building while you're fighting..

(Mindmeld Kris is in my SUB hand and Levante Dagger is in my MAIN hand, this website wont let me switch them to the right spots on here.)

ItemSet 332358

Also, I'll be making two seperate sets, one for not having an avatar out that fully benefits myself, and another benefiting myself but also my pet (perp cost etc), but this is what im using in the meantime.

And to the other SMN who are figuring out ways to do crazy damage to delve bosses, I'm sure they'll figure something crazy out with dagger.

**Remember don't get too serious here, I know STAFF is better for us period, and then club. But we were given a dagger skill, so why not have fun and put a little use to it??
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-01-13 23:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Shadowstitch > any BP Rage, and then you'll never have to worry about them being too far away! This is probably the ultimate strategy in the game.
[+]
 Phoenix.Rumblepakk
By Phoenix.Rumblepakk 2015-01-13 23:24:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
Shadowstitch > any BP Rage, and then you'll never have to worry about them being too far away! This is probably the ultimate strategy in the game.

Now we're talking.

I'm not sure if we are given Aeolian edge as a SMN, but I have it when I sub DNC! Another great WS!

Not to mention haste samba and steps..
 Asura.Highwynn
Server: Asura
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2015-01-13 23:53:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Rune Chopper and /WAR bam you got a few Gaxe procs.
[+]
 Phoenix.Rumblepakk
By Phoenix.Rumblepakk 2015-01-14 00:09:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol sarcasm much???? Though I did sub DRG one time and used a rune halberd, unfortunately we arent given those skills and there is no ilvl weapons of those kind we could hold.. only staff club and dagger :P
[+]
 Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2015-01-14 00:14:31
Link | Quote | Reply

/DRG49 with merits and rune halberd and torque/earring/ring/belt would probably give you up to penta thrust or vorpal thrust lol
[+]
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2015-01-14 00:17:28
Link | Quote | Reply

For funsies i've tried dagger+club, but prefer club smn.
Black Halo does about 3500-5500 and I close skillchain on fenrir eclipsebite so the frag skillchain will easily add on another 4-6k damage so it nicely kills stuff off with less mp and doesnt overkill the target.

I also keep heavenward+ecliptic howl always up.

If the moon phase is right so heavenward gives endrain, I split tank 2 targets at once with fenrir since he can get enough hp back from meleeing to tank more - most of the time I pull hate and do the tanking so its easy to keep the same avatar out indefinitely.

not ideal sets, just based on what i use.
ItemSet 332361
ItemSet 332362

my sub choice is /dnc
I mainly use smn in marjami/yorica merit+cp or do wkr , so yeah its totally not for srs stuffs, but its really fun. If you dont have KC or the target is bad for that, substitue OaT tamaxchi for offhand is good too.

They should have gave SMN the dagan ws :( would be amazing for more aggressive play and mp+hp sustain.
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2015-01-14 01:52:50
Link | Quote | Reply

And here I was expecting some kind of discussion about Dagger from FF9. Oh well, you get a pic instead.

[+]
By Creecreelo 2015-01-14 02:06:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Eminent Dagger for Mindmeld! Smns should jump on this, especially because SE said they were going to be adding Smn to Rudra's Storm the next update.
[+]
By mortontony1 2015-01-14 02:13:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Creecreelo said: »
SE said they were going to be adding Smn to Rudra's Storm the next update.

....really?
 Asura.Ackeronll
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2015-01-14 03:29:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Stefanos said: »
And here I was expecting some kind of discussion about Dagger from FF9.
Was expecting the same ; ;

Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-01-14 03:54:41
Link | Quote | Reply

mortontony1 said: »

....really?
Err no, it's always going to be limited to the jobs that can equip the Empyrean weapon, aka THF, BRD, DNC.
[+]
By Creecreelo 2015-01-14 04:11:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
mortontony1 said: »

....really?
Err no, it's always going to be limited to the jobs that can equip the Empyrean weapon, aka THF, BRD, DNC.

;)
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-01-14 05:59:56
Link | Quote | Reply

What exactly is the point in this again, other than some dagger procs in Voidwatch no one would care about?

Energy Drain is inferior to Spirit Taker, and is ineffectual against enemies with no MP.

Staff gets a significantly better AoE WS.

DPS is significantly lower than staff/club.

What exactly is there to make use of?

SAM gets sword skill, doesn't mean it should use it.
 Ragnarok.Luloo
Server: Ragnarok
user: Lulo
By Ragnarok.Luloo 2015-01-14 06:02:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought that was a fun topic?
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-01-14 06:04:06
Link | Quote | Reply

you thought wrong, it's cereal in here
 Asura.Taidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Asura.Taidis 2015-01-14 06:12:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
you thought wrong, it's cereal in here
Super serial?
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-01-14 06:14:04
Link | Quote | Reply

It could progress to that, yeah.
By Nazrious 2015-01-14 06:58:27
Link | Quote | Reply

cereal in fun sheep clothing, for shame.

I use daggers all the time... to open my mail!

Stay frosty gentlemen.
 Bahamut.Shirai
Server: Bahamut
user: Shirai
By Bahamut.Shirai 2015-01-14 07:05:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Energy Drain is inferior to Spirit Taker, and is ineffectual against enemies with no MP.

Let me add Myrkr to that list as well, which unlike Spirit taker, only has static values, but if damage is no issue will never "miss". :)
 Phoenix.Rumblepakk
By Phoenix.Rumblepakk 2015-01-14 16:31:22
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys are being too serious now.

I said it's mainly for FUN because this IS a game, but you CAN still use it for other things, not only procing in VW. I know STAFF is the best weapon for SMN, I wouldnt have built a nirvana!
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-01-14 16:39:49
Link | Quote | Reply

What fun is to be had with weak weapons that are mostly useless?

You can make a case for multi attack weapons being fun, but we aren't making a case of multi attack weapons being fun.
By mortontony1 2015-01-14 16:52:12
Link | Quote | Reply

You can make a case for multi attack weapons being fun, but we aren't making a case of multi attack weapons being fun.

[+]
 Phoenix.Rumblepakk
By Phoenix.Rumblepakk 2015-01-14 21:20:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I had no issues soloing mobs in adoulin areas.

Verda said: »
I think another fun thing to do is just see all the Additional effect: weapons available to a job. Some of their proc rates are awful so you have to look into it. But for instance my ranger would always carry around sleep, stun and other status effect ammunition and it saved me more than once.

SMN:
http://www.ffxiah.com/search/item?&slots%5B%5D=1&slots%5B%5D=2&jobs%5B%5D=32768&description=Additional%20effect%3A#adv

Weakens defense is great for physical BP but not sure the time on those and if it would stack with weapon skills that give def down or not.

Another fun thing (and sometimes extremely useful) is seeing what enchantment items you can use:
http://www.ffxiah.com/search/item?&jobs%5B%5D=32768&description=Enchantment#adv

Looking through the Astral Pot seems at least situationaly useful. +22 avatar MAB for 5 min would be awesome for ults. Kind of a pain to make the trip every time you run out of enchants though.

Edit:nvm the 30 min wait time once equipped nearly kills it for any situational use. And it is completely useless if putting back on an ilvl satchet doesn't take effect until resummoning the avatar.

Astral Pot is very useful but my question is, does it only work if it's equipped? I thought I read somewhere that it has to be equipped at all times. That wouldn't be good because we need the Seraphicaller in at all times.
 Phoenix.Rumblepakk
By Phoenix.Rumblepakk 2015-01-17 13:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Then its definitely good for final bosses
 Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2015-01-17 13:40:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Supposedly it lasts until the avatar is dismissed, one note said it may last upwards of 10minutes but unconfirmed.
By Diamondstip 2015-02-02 16:37:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Get yourself a Mercurial Pole and make a Store TP + Haste melee set instead. With Hastega II you get 1000 TP in no time at all. So many uses.

• Spirit Taker on mobs with lesser defense

• Myrkr on mobs with higher defense or to remove debuffs

• Shell Crusher debuff

• Shattersoul Debuff

• Easy and Quick Renkei's

I usually get 1000 TP in 2-3 turns. It has proven to be invaluable on a lot of content. For higher end content I keep a wing/carbuncle pole in case for emergencies.