users online
Forum » FFXI » General » JP shouts
JP shouts
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Angeljcar
By Odin.Blazeoffury 2014-12-31 03:40:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I've recently returned to the game and have a decent understanding of some of their terms. wc = restroom for some reason. W means lol, but i see 2 a lot now that i never seen before. "WAR" and "PUP". I think war means the amount of times they are doing it? (Not refering to war job or pup lol, lolpup no point intended.) Im clueless on what the PUP means. Any other JP terms that i am overlooking that could be clarified would be helpful to me as well.
By dustinfoley 2014-12-31 04:35:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Those are shouts for battle fields, pup is = puppet in peril high level mission battle

war = the warriors path (tenzen)
 Quetzalcoatl.Waffless
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Waff
By Quetzalcoatl.Waffless 2014-12-31 04:41:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Byrth and crew explain it nicely in this thread

"As a result, you should expect to see Type II mistranslations of very short JP phrases. For example, one thing you'll notice when you use this addon is a constant stream of "PUP" in JP shouts. It turns out that the symbol for PUP's shortened name (ka) also indicates a question. So they're asking something like, "Shadow Lord do you need it?" but it gets translated to "(darkness)(king) symbolsPUP?"

Click and read for the full explanation.
By Nyruul 2014-12-31 04:42:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I think they quite literally use PUP in the sense of lolPUP as a term for EN pugs(or maybe just pugs in general.)

Edit: They most likely use it for puppets in peril but I've read conversation in a couple parties and the context seemed to suggest what I said also based on timing after me and other NA players doing something stupid haha.
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2014-12-31 06:09:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to do something a bit different here and advocate learning some basic japanese to make your interactions a bit easier (especially if you do voidwatch with jp).
I applaud the effort on the autotranslate plugin, but I stopped using it since I know alittle japanese and it was messing me up not seeing the original source at times. (Maybe if there was a way to have it still output the untranslated source i'd use it at the cost of having a jp player's text twice in my log)

Anyways, this is some basic stuff I feel everyone could learn without too much effort along with a few tips on how to dissect jp shouts and figure out what they mean without a plugin.

Kanji referring to FFXI job:
踊 - DNC
暗 - DRK
青 - BLU
白 - WHM
黒 - BLM
赤 - RDM
戦 - WAR
モ - MNK
シ - THF
ナ - PLD
獣 - BST
召 - SMN
侍 - SAM
竜 - DRG
忍 - NIN
コ - COR
か - PUP
学 - SCH
風 - GEO
剣 - RUN
吟 or 詩 - BRD
狩 - RNG

Kanji for elements (useful for voidwatch)
風 - Wind
土 - Earth
雷 - Lightning
火 - Fire
水 - Water
氷 - Ice (note the similarity to water, and the single brushstroke addition in the top left)
光 - Light
闇 - Darkness

Shorthand for some weapon types
弓-Bow
郡-Gun
匕-Dagger
剴-Scythe

So if you do VW with japanese players a lot, they announce voidwatch proc hints with job kanji plus the element kanji, plus the number 1,3,5 correlating to the english shorthand of v/hv/ex.
Some jp player will use autotranslate to help you out, but again its nice to not rely on things.

Some examples:
忍 闇 5 = ninja darkness EX
黒 氷 3 = blm ice hv
Pretty simple once you know the kanji for job and element.
Its good to know these because some jp are lazy or don't feel like using the autotranslate.

List of high tier battlefield names in their kanji source normally used in shouts:
★デルクフの塔再び - Stellar Fulcrum
★宿星の座 - Celestial Nexus
★猛き者たちよ - Ouryu
★武士道とは - Tenzen
★少女の傀儡 - Puppet in Peril
★亡国の遺産 - Legacy of the Lost
★ランク5ミッション - Shadowlord
★向かい風 - Head Wind
★火の試練(Ifrit Prime)
★氷の試練(Shiva Prime)
★風の試練(Garuda Prime)
★土の試練(Titan Prime)
★雷の試練(Ramuh Prime)
★水の試練(Leviathan Prime)

Common terms relating to Battlefield content difficulty setting in shouts
ふつう - (normal)
むず - 'muzu' (Difficult)
とてもむず or むずかしい - (Very Difficult)

Moving on to a random JP shout like this:
土試練 上位 むず に行きませんか? 風吟コ赤さんより1名募集。コメ参照にて ジョブ、希望品をお知らせください〜 5/6

You can infer from the first fragment (subject comes first just like in english), '土試練' this is a high tier avatar battle (1st kanji denotes the 'element', in this case being 'Earth' so this is for Titan). so these days its pretty common to see variants such as 風試練 , 火試練, etc referring to avatar battles noting that only the first kanji is swapped to denote the avatar.
The common fragment ' 行きませんか?' after the subject is formally asking if anyone wants to go.

You can also see the fragment 'むず' in the shout, so we know its on difficult setting.

The fragment '風吟コ赤' is a grouping of jobs they are looking for,
in this case, GEO, BRD, COR, RDM.
It is common to group the job kanji up against one other like this when recruiting multiple jobs in jp shouts.

Another symbol you may see in shouts, sometimes by itself is this:
〆 or 乄
This roughly means 'closed' or that recruitment is over for the shout in question. (party full)

You can copypaste from the shout stream on ffxiah and paste it into google translate and sometimes make sense of things that way.
Breaking up a shout with carriage returns or periods can 'help' google translate provide better translation.

Other reference that you may find of use:
FFXI Japanese Language (Nihongo) - English Guide Version 1.8

Note that on my server, jp players get along well with english player so mixed Battlefield / skirmish / voidwatch group is very common.
Some jp player might not respond or accept english player because it creates extra uncertainty and stress on the outcome of battles
(more relevant on high tier battlefields, but its still possible).
Other jp player are very positive and send me cute little emoji tells and eagerly invite me when I ask them to join their shouts, its entirely random how they may respond, but your reputation does matter with jp players if you want repeat invites so be patient (and in the case of voidwatch pay extra attention that red light is capped if you go with jp)
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2014-12-31 06:11:30
Link | Quote | Reply

so many different names for squiggles
[+]
By dustinfoley 2014-12-31 10:05:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Fine and dandy if your using a translate addon, otherwise id assume that WAR or PUP are in reference to the high tier battle fields.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-12-31 10:07:11
Link | Quote | Reply

//trans show original
shows the original source
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-12-31 10:10:53
Link | Quote | Reply

<rear> <money> <cast lots?> <no thanks>
 Ragnarok.Worldslost
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Worldslost 2014-12-31 10:46:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Pup = pick up party
Pug= pick up group
 Bahamut.Greebo
Server: Bahamut
user: greebo
By Bahamut.Greebo 2014-12-31 12:42:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazeoffury said: »
wc = restroom for some reason
wc = water closet
bio = biological break

It's a European (or at least British) term, if I understand correctly. 'WC" and 'BIO' have been used in many MMO's for years, though 'BIO' confuses some people since it's a spell in FFXI, so I tend to just use the acronym 'WC'.
 Ragnarok.Worldslost
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Worldslost 2014-12-31 13:21:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Greebo said: »
Odin.Blazeoffury said: »
wc = restroom for some reason
wc = water closet
bio = biological break

It's a European (or at least British) term, if I understand correctly. 'WC" and 'BIO' have been used in many MMO's for years, though 'BIO' confuses some people since it's a spell in FFXI, so I tend to just use the acronym 'WC'.

WC is a building engineering term. It's used on blueprints as a standard
By Elwynbelwyn 2015-01-06 06:37:31
Link | Quote | Reply

At least on Sylph, サチコ参照 means set your search comment (sachiko = search comment, though the "usual" Japanese abbreviation would be sachikome)
 Cerberus.Spirachub
Server: Cerberus
user: Spiraboo
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2015-01-06 07:03:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Elwynbelwyn said: »
サチコ参照 means set your search comment

that usually means refer to their search comment (which usually have details on what job they're looking for and requirements etc)

Sachiko(サチコ) = search comment, Sanshou(参照) = refer to, reference.

It could be that Sylph is special, but in a language context, it has no meaning of "set your search comment" in it..
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2015-01-06 10:34:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Sapphire & Byrth, those Write-ups are amazing. Can we have those two combined and stickied on the General section for reference? Sometimes those things get lost and I forget where to find them.

Also, the plugin for translating in w4 - what is it called? I actually am very unfamiliar with many of the addons, as I only use but a few sometimes.

Thanks.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2015-01-06 10:37:07
Link | Quote | Reply

It's named translate.

... such a {fish}{Galka}...
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2015-01-06 10:38:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Where would I be without {boss}es like you! tanks!
By Elwynbelwyn 2015-01-08 19:07:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
It could be that Sylph is special, but in a language context, it has no meaning of "set your search comment" in it..
...or it could mean that I've never answered a JP shout before, and thus the idea of looking at the shouter's comment is something I never encountered before. (I've never seen ENs do that.)

It took me a long time just figure out that sachiko was search comment, and I figured at least that much should get into this thread.