Forum » FFXI » General » The Chocobo Theory
The Chocobo Theory
 Hades.Koud
Server: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: Koud
By Hades.Koud 2009-08-17 08:48:21
Link | Quote | Reply

So i have recentley got into breeding chocobos. So I breeded a Green male and a Blue Female and chose the honeymoon. that made it more likely to take on the females traits. i got the egg it hatched and i have a female. I have been doing research and their tends to but a bunch of debate. I find it hard to believe the colors are not genetic. I am still going to raise affection to cap anyway just in case. Any thoughts or knowledge from experienced breeders?
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-17 09:00:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I've stayed away from chocobo breeding simply because of all the unknowns. I'm curious to know what others have to say as well.

My gf got lucky and ended up with a black chocobo from her very first egg >_<
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-17 09:14:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I always thought colours were partly genetic, but I've never actually bred them. The only chocobos I've raised from ISNM eggs (bought eggs can't come out any colour but yellow) I wanted it to be blue, so I concentrated on MND based training and food and it came out blue.

Krizz, I don't think there really are that many unknowns with it if you do your research on wiki, there's just a lot to it and it takes a lot of work to get a decent chocobo.
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-08-17 09:20:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Breeded ftw!
[+]
 Hades.Koud
By Hades.Koud 2009-08-18 11:19:21
Link | Quote | Reply

so has no one cracked the patterns behind chocobo breeding or do they just not feel like posting. or not come to this site at all?
 Ramuh.Sagittario
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2009-08-18 13:26:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Until I can breed a gold chocobo, fly to a secret island and discover an avatar that consists of 11 knights that pwn everything in sight, chocobo breeding officially fails >.>

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Diraphe
Server: Asura
user: Diraphe
By Asura.Diraphe 2009-08-18 14:26:41
Link | Quote | Reply

From my experience color seems to be slightly random, however genetics can increase the chances of a particular color.
I've been able to get 3 blue chicks in a row with breeding.

In response to Blazza; stats have no effect on the color of the Chocobo, only on the appearance of its beak/legs.
 Odin.Aramina
Server: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-08-18 14:39:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Mabrook said:

On a serious note though, I got a black chocobo but problem is the *** is slower than a normal yellow NPC chocobo 8\ so its awesome color is canceled out from how slow it is lol.

Friend of mine has one so slow I swear I passed him riding while I was just running on foot. It is so slow it's almost painful to watch.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-08-18 14:52:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I raised my retardedly slow yellow chocobo for hot and cold so it has Treasure Hunter? or whichever ability. Now I don't hot and cold anymore I just have a retardedly slow yellow bird >.> I can't be bothered to raise another one.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2009-08-18 16:28:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Koud said:
so has no one cracked the patterns behind chocobo breeding or do they just not feel like posting. or not come to this site at all?

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Category_talk:Chocobo_Raising#Color

...has an interesting discussion on it. Some people have even done Mendelian charts to theorise about dominant and recessive colour combinations. Maybe take a look to see and form your own opinion based on what other players have found.
 Gilgamesh.Tallulah
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Tallulah 2009-08-19 09:25:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't say as I've only bred twice, but I think if both of the chocobos are colored you'd be more likely to get a colored chick.
From what I've read that seems to be true, but I can't say for sure.
Yellow + Black = Yellow
Red + Black = Red.
There's always chance involved, but it's worth researching on wiki like Schutz said.
 Hades.Koud
By Hades.Koud 2009-08-19 12:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I did some research on wiki and from i got, Its like a huge arguement half the people think that it is Stat based, the other half think it is genetics based, which i think is more likely. Or there is other possibility it might be genetic based but if you dont have a high enough affection level the color wont come out. Knowing SE that could be the case, just to throw people off that will mass breed chocobos without taking care of them to figure out the pattern.

EDIT: I also noticed that everyone that got a color chocobo had an affection level of atleast 4 none were reported being lower than that.
 Hades.Cahlum
user: Cahlum
By Hades.Cahlum 2009-08-19 12:46:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I got a green chocobo from my very first egg was from an ISNM though, I have been breeding greens and raising them physically and they still come out green. I believe it is genetic based with affection.
 Sylph.Aleczan
Server: Sylph
user: Aleczan
By Sylph.Aleczan 2009-09-12 12:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Mabrook said:
Aramina said:
Mabrook said:

On a serious note though, I got a black chocobo but problem is the *** is slower than a normal yellow NPC chocobo 8\ so its awesome color is canceled out from how slow it is lol.

Friend of mine has one so slow I swear I passed him riding while I was just running on foot. It is so slow it's almost painful to watch.

Wow... I would of put it to sleep already lol.

LOL Slowness was one of my problem too. I raised a digger chocobo (from the egg obtained through quest) and when she became adult, she was all brain, with no muscle. So she was called "red turtle" by my LS friends =_+;; With Burrow and Treasure Finder.

However, in hope of making her have at least an "acceptable" speed I did all I could. I kept her in the stable for the whole 129 days, until the stables person forced me to retire her. During the rest of her day after growth became stabilized, I raced for chocobucks and used training for Endurance and Strength. Ended up having these stats,
Strength: Impressive (lv 6)
Endurance: Average (lv 4)
Discernment: First-Class (lv 8.)
Receptivity: Better Than Average (lv 5)

So now she can run just fine.

Regarding Koud's question, I tend to believe that colour is highly influenced by parents. I mated my red chocobo with a friend's red chocobo, but this time I raised STR and END first, aiming for a racer. The chick ended up being red. Well, my friend also got an egg from our couple of chocobos as well, and his chick was red too. Moreover, when we checked mating compatibility of our 2 new chicks, the grandbaby was always red.... We checked like once a day for the whole chick stage. Now it's day 21 and the grandbaby was still conned red.
 Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-09-12 15:09:55
Link | Quote | Reply

tl;dr thread but...

I had a Blue Male chocobo with top tier stats bred with a Red Female chocobo with lower tiered stats. Anyway, I chose the plan that would have the Male's stats, did the egg watch trick and ended up with a female Blue chocobo.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-09-12 15:57:27
Link | Quote | Reply

What I wanna know is how the chocobo ladys always know exactly how much gil you have.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Joxo
Server: Carbuncle
user: joxo
By Carbuncle.Joxo 2009-09-12 16:20:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said: (bought eggs can't come out any colour but yellow)
Joxo says: Yes they can, I bought one and I got a green chocobo.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-09-12 19:12:16
Link | Quote | Reply

From what I've seen and read, and personal experience, chocobo color seems to follow a standard, single-gene, Mendellian punnett square algorithm, where the final selection from the four possibilities is at least partially weighted by what you choose for the date/honeymoon.

(Although if you didn't pay attention in high school AP Biology, you can be forgiven for thinking it's random.)

Such a system would be easily coded and well within the ability of the team that designed it, plus it gives a more realistic result with just enough pseudo-randomness to keep people guessing.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-09-12 20:15:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I have no idea how the colors work. However I've raised 2 chocobos. 1 black from two black parents and 1 red from an egg I got from that quest from Brutus in Jeuno, lol.