Sandworm Doomvoid Conditions?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Sandworm Doomvoid conditions?
Sandworm Doomvoid conditions?
 Diabolos.Sovereign
Server: Diabolos
Game: FFXI
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-08-13 08:22:27
Link | Quote | Reply

so I've heard of worms doing this... but in the countless times I've claimed and killed, never seen it for myself until last night.

My linkshell claimed sandworm in Ronfaure. Around 40%, we stopped damage so a few more members could arrive. Once everyone was there, we knocked it down under 20% in a matter of minutes, then held it again waiting for Doomvoid. After over an hour of fighting it, we were holding at 5%. A few more minutes without a Doomvoid, and we decided to try something with it.

So we kited to the very south west corner of the map, and had everyone zone into Jugner [S]. This allowed Sandworm to go unclaimed, and regen back to 100%. Once it was full, we reclaimed it and slowly ran it down under 20%. We held it for another 30+ minutes around 10%-15%, and still it refused to use Doomvoid. Eventually, we just decided to kill it in hopes of keeping tomorrow's spawn within a good time for our linkshell. Sandworm Wrangler for the *** lose.

Something of note: It should be known that one of our members did make a GM call during the first fight, to ask why we would not get Doomvoid. While the GM was apparantly vague and spoke in circles (as always), he did say two things worth noting. First, that Sandworm was apparantly working as intended. And second, the GM did ask how quickly we dealt damage to it (without our member mentioning anything of the sort), but he would not elaborate further. This information is what made us choose to zone, let it regen, and try taking it down slowly. Yet that proved to have no result on this particular attempt.

Something else of note: Sandworm is believed to have a Rage timer, set at two hours (same as Dark Ixion). Whether that is confirmed or not, I do not know. We did not fight Sandworm for two hours before zoning, and his attacks never became enhanced or did any more dmg than usual. Both fights (before and after zoning) were about one hour.

So has anyone else had similar experiences with Sandworm? After doing some light research I've not found anything confirmed saying that Doomvoid can be locked out (only stunned, and we sure weren't doing that). So it seems very strange to me that we'd be fighting it under 20% for so long and not see a Doomvoid.

Stupid worm. Shoulda just been sleeping, since this was a huge waste of my time.
 Ramuh.Ponto
Server: Ramuh
user: thefatguy
By Ramuh.Ponto 2009-08-13 08:32:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Its an Everbloom Hollow area, MMM was probably packed, it predetermines whether to let you in or not based on the numbers inside, it was a stupid move by SE to make SW zones MMM areas, its happened us a handful of times also, its been quiet though lately on this server with MMM so we should be thankful for that.

Hope this covers everything.
[+]
 Alexander.Syxx
Server: Alexander
user: Stylesz
By Alexander.Syxx 2009-08-13 08:36:18
Link | Quote | Reply

u need to feed it enough tp to doomvoid.. alot of attacks low damage.. blms shouldnt be in fight much after 50%.. doomvoid needs max tp
 Ramuh.Ponto
By Ramuh.Ponto 2009-08-13 08:46:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Syxx said:
u need to feed it enough tp to doomvoid.. alot of attacks low damage.. blms shouldnt be in fight much after 50%.. doomvoid needs max tp

That isn't it at all >.> its a regular TP move like Dustvoid etc, just at 25% don't stun it, because stunning Doomvoid will instantly kill it, t1 nukes/low base dmg weapons feeding it tp etc, with this and MMM being empty, you will get in.
 Diabolos.Sovereign
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-08-13 08:49:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Syxx said:

I am aware that sandworm needs tp to use doomvoid, and am sure we were giving it adequate tp regain with the two PLDs and one THF we left on it during hold periods.

To be clear, we also never used any form of Stun throughout the entire battle.

Ponto said:
Its an Everbloom Hollow area, MMM was probably packed, it predetermines whether to let you in or not based on the numbers inside, it was a stupid move by SE to make SW zones MMM areas

It's the first I've heard of something like that, but it does sounds pretty viable since traffic is a common issue with entering instanced areas like MMM and Nyzul Isle. And yes, that's an incredibly stupid move on SE's part. I lost enough sleep *** with this crap last night to be late to work this morning... thanks SE.
 Ramuh.Ponto
By Ramuh.Ponto 2009-08-13 08:53:44
Link | Quote | Reply

The cap is so low also on MMM zones you need to remember, if anyone who has done MMM initially would know, you can barely get 30 people in there, imagine a handful inside while you have a decent chunk for SW, you know then whats likely to happen.
[+]
 Diabolos.Sovereign
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-08-13 09:02:53
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah we had a full alliance of 18 when we initially dropped SW under 40%.
 Alexander.Syxx
user: Stylesz
By Alexander.Syxx 2009-08-13 09:07:54
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe have alot of low level weapons with low delay.. idk, we had a few kraken club's when he fought SW wasn't much up a problem, just turned the nukes off at a certain point.. Soboro kraken Mkris'd it up
 Siren.Murdock
Server: Siren
user: Murdock
By Siren.Murdock 2009-08-13 09:24:38
Link | Quote | Reply

so in the future search the area before hand :P
 Ramuh.Ponto
By Ramuh.Ponto 2009-08-13 09:39:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Murdock getting sassy! You just commented to make me talk to you didn't you!? Haha, howya doing brother?
 Midgardsormr.Michelob
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Michelob
By Midgardsormr.Michelob 2009-08-13 10:19:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Sovereign said:
Something else of note: Sandworm is believed to have a Rage timer, set at two hours (same as Dark Ixion). Whether that is confirmed or not, I do not know.

Rage for both Sandworm and Dark Ixion are 90 minutes, not two hours.
 Cerberus.Geldric
Server: Cerberus
user: Geldricv2
By Cerberus.Geldric 2009-08-13 10:35:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Syxx said:
maybe have alot of low level weapons with low delay.. idk, we had a few kraken club's when he fought SW wasn't much up a problem, just turned the nukes off at a certain point.. Soboro kraken Mkris'd it up

He knows how to feed it TP and the base conditions of getting Sandworm to Doomvoid. By the way BLMs casting T1 nukes is a great way to feed tp.

Ponto said:
Syxx said:

That isn't it at all >.> its a regular TP move like Dustvoid etc, just at 25% don't stun it, because stunning Doomvoid will instantly kill it, t1 nukes/low base dmg weapons feeding it tp etc, with this and MMM being empty, you will get in.

Sandworm doesn't die after you stun Doomvoid nor will it not use it again. Doomvoid can be used countless times since it's just a TP move.
 Hades.Cheyne
Server: Hades
user: Cheyne
By Hades.Cheyne 2009-08-13 10:38:53
Link | Quote | Reply

What my LS usually does is nuke to around 40% or 30%, wait for members to arrive etc.

20%~30% is optimal for Doomvoid.

If he isn't using the WS have all the mages spam stone and small smells for more TP and that usually works.
 Alexander.Zayo
user: Zayo
By Alexander.Zayo 2009-08-13 11:17:46
Link | Quote | Reply

We do our SW fights much like how Cheyne mentioned. Slowly beat it down to the 40% area while holding for ppl to get rid of /rng and make it back to the worm. We only cast aero nukes on it till 40% and we do skillchain's & MB's on it to warm up. Once at 40%, no DoT's, no stun of any kind, no buffs on the party... and stone 1 from everyone that can cast it at 20%. We've never had a problem with SW, he (or she) doomvoids every time at 15-18% health.

Sounds like the connection with the MMM zones is the problem, and a crappy one at that. What makes the problem even crappier is that the only solution to that issue would be what... telling the lil kiddies in MMM to GTFO?
 Siren.Murdock
Server: Siren
user: Murdock
By Siren.Murdock 2009-08-13 11:56:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ponto said:
Murdock getting sassy! You just commented to make me talk to you didn't you!? Haha, howya doing brother?

lol thats exactly why I posted. never see you whoring it up on here, had to figure out why :P