Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » "Linkshell" Relic cocept bad? yes/no
"Linkshell" Relic cocept bad? yes/no
 Bahamut.Paulus
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2009-08-10 03:00:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Recently there are many shells that had this concept/philosophy that have broken on my server. I was in 2 and heard of others crumbling.

The leaders of each were vilified for stop doing dynamis either when the got the relic, almost completed a relic or completed almost 2 relics.

There are 2 arguments. One is does the LS leader have to be the only one to profit off of the work of others? There are many shells till this day that split the gil in a MEB (Month End Bonus) type system.

The other arguement is that they network, coordinate, invest and organize a group and that the relic weapon is a suitable reward for all that hard work.

In other cases it may be that the members lost the desire for dynamis or the leaders figured it was time to find more people blindly willing to build a relic for them.

These wern't simply fly by night operations either. Talking about linkshells that have been operating for about 2 years.

I'm of the theory that the last dynamis update killed the whole "FarmMehRelic" concept.

Have you guys noticed this? Any thoughts?
Would you join a linkshell that this was happening in? Would you organize and have people do this for you?
 Bahamut.Hedadeda
Server: Bahamut
user: Hedadeda
By Bahamut.Hedadeda 2009-08-10 04:38:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats what i think but then when you do dyna if your giving ppl the drops for the relic weapon how are you gona profit off the dynamis?
 Fenrir.Javaa
Server: Fenrir
user: Javaa
By Fenrir.Javaa 2009-08-10 05:12:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends... how can you quantify the value of leadership? does it run into the 100s of millions? What does it take to really grow a solid linkshell rather than just slap one together? FFA AF shells with no care who do pure towns versus a deep community driven group has imho two contradictory reasons:

1) Loosely-knit shells which simply rely on numbers, shouts, constant recruiting - sure go for a relic from sponsorship. The time you take as a lead to organise this is time *you* can't farm, synth, play. The path is longer and much more stressful and can die at any second since the average experience in Dynamis and the bond between members is weak. Good luck with Attestation and Fragment in this setup since confidence and pure AF count is your only currency to offer the membership, since Joe Average can setup next door. I know a few people who are doing/have done this and while I don't like the idea (and tried leading this myself with a couple of people), I don't blame them for bolting off asap... you dread Dynamis and can't wait till its over.

2) Heavy community shells with a carefully crafted and maintained system will yield faster relics but there's a concept of hard work done by all and therefore equal-share deserving. If by that people think, "it'll be my turn to sponsor soon" the wait can get pretty long (and see next para). You do invest more time, but everyone here pulls their weight and the shell is more than the sum of its parts, making leading easier and the "reward" of a relic, ironically less fair imho.

Our shell's been going a while on the latter version, but to be perfectly honest, right now, I'm even considering linkshell demise simply because we'd safely outlast the game's viable lifespan. If FFIV is out 2010, even Q4, that's 16 months to get... how many relics? Waiting your turn in sponsorship cycle is kind of a grim prospect now... If you have a bank, when is it to be dissolved knowing an exodus and obvious devaluation is incoming? I'd rather sacrifice a relic to split 200mil and let everyone enjoy the money while its possible.

Consider that the economics will start declining at some point, (why do a relic when you're not going to be around to enjoy it or even guaranteed to complete it?) - so be realistic about your goals, how it will affect your shell and then see if its even worth starting it.

Personally the achievement of sorting out a successful shell is the rewarding thing in itself. I shamefully noticed a slump in motivation when I got my relic, but its why I chose the horn to make - I'll only enjoy it by seeing others benefit from it. Staying on in the shell is as much a thanks to the people helping as is my only way of appreciating it.

As for the MEB you mentioned, we changed this to a city-cycle based system since we would be shorthanded in towns and over-subscribed in dreams. Since profit was made in towns, we swapped to a system to promote town attendance more in regards to cash itself to keep the profit-splits going in the fairest possible way. Lots more money for those putting in the effort, and none for those only taking advantage of the rarer dream zones.

/wall-o-text
good luck dude
[+]
 Pandemonium.Isiolia
Server: Pandemonium
user: Isiolia
By Pandemonium.Isiolia 2009-08-10 09:41:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno, my Dynamis shell isn't organized around that. We sell currency (and Wootz), and in turn use the money to pay for glasses, reraise, food, non-standard meds, and do paychecks every few months as well.

Members get a good discount on currency, and we do have some that buy...but we sell a good bit on the open market as well.

To me, most people aren't after a relic anyway, or couldn't realistically complete one. If you go on the general premise that the majority of people are doing Dynamis for relic armor drops (which is usually the case), then whatever system used is fine, as long as it's agreeable for that group.

It does present a problem for what happens when the relic is done and/or sponsorships dry up, but honestly, if you've got a group that still, largely, wants to do Dynamis...what's stopping you? Everyone chip in a bit to get a glass, do a city or two, and you should be set to start on a bank system.

-Personally- I would tend to favor systems that aren't using sponsorship so much, but that's not to say they're the only way to go.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-08-10 10:14:52
Link | Quote | Reply

make an LS, farm relics, do runs, make money.
 Ramuh.Urial
Server: Ramuh
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2009-08-10 10:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

IMO i think the only way a "linkshell Relic" if legit is if its a major endgame shell on a server, I'm talking HNMLS thats constantly brinnging in mad amount of gil. Because in reality it isnt that much work for them once they put the foot to the pedal as well as easy ability to farm atestations and fragments. Where as a smaller LS like the one i'm in it would take us extremely long and we would also have to pay someone to merc ice drops. Thats my view on it Big HNMLS yeah do it, small ls...sell your coins to before mention HNMLS and split the money among members.