Favorite BLU Spell sets
First Page 2
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-08-04 06:32:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Curious to see which spell sets everyone uses and for what reasons! Some spells within sets will probably be very similar, but those last 10 or so spells that everyone picks by individual need, stats or traits are what interest me most; special cases such as specific battle or job combos too! Show your cards! (cor joke that doesn't work here but whatever </3)
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-04 06:51:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Copy and pasted from a PM I sent someone who asked me what spells I set for soloing chain 5 on imps:

head butt, frenetic rip, hysteric barrage, disseverment of course. This is your main damage.

sheep song for "oh ***"

refueling of course, keep it up at all times, one cast should last you three mobs.

magic hammer for mp (and use every time it's up), sound blast as well for MAB.

Chaotic eye and zephyr mantle for conserve MP, plasma charge and actinic burst for auto-refresh (and actinic burst is good for getting ichi back up)

magic fruit of course...

Mandibular bite for finishing off a mob at ~6%. Umm... I think that's it. I have 4 merits in assimilation, but set those and see if you have points left, if you don't have enough, drop mandibular bite and sound blast... dunno what else to drop if you're one point short though :(

To chain 5 consistently, you have to work on killing 3 in a row without resting. I use magic hammer towards the end of the first mob, which means it's up again by the 3rd mob. 3 mobs in a row then rest to full. Repeat that all day and night is constant chain 5's and best exp.
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-08-04 07:52:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't have sea, but I generally roll with:

Headbutt
Hysteric Barraage
Freneric Rip
Cannonball
Self-Destruct, Cold Wave, Voracious Trunk, Frightful Roar (Auto-Refresh)
Fire breath (used to vary with Frost, but Sub-zero Smash's para is nice)
Sub-Zero Smash
Refueling
Cocoon

The rest vary on the situation, but this is my basic all-around setup. I only have 1 merit on Assimilation, which I really need to increase...>.>;
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-08-04 09:54:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the input, guys. :p

No Frightful Roar, Blazza? I guess when chaining single mobs the difference between defense down and mandy bite becomes pretty negligible? Also, do you use AF or Errant body for Hammer, Blazza?
 Ifrit.Kalix
Server: Ifrit
user: Tokitung
By Ifrit.Kalix 2009-08-04 12:24:24
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my setup, still need to merit Assimilation:

1. Headbutt
2. Frentic Rip + Disseverment (Acc bonus)
3. Refueling
4. Chaotic Eye + Zephyr Mantle (Conserve MP)
5. Cocoon
6. Metalic Body
7. Magic Fruit
8. Sub-zero Smash + Bad Breath (Fast Cast)
9. Actinic Burst + Plasma Charge (Auto Refresh)

Once I finish up Blu merits on Assimilation, I plan on putting Hysteric Barrage back in, though MP drainkiss may take priority if there is a chance of MP issues.
 Caitsith.Xyooj
Server: Caitsith
user: Xyooj
By Caitsith.Xyooj 2009-08-04 21:50:42
Link | Quote | Reply

What Blazza said, atleast for solo-ing Heraldic Imps. Can set all those spells without Assimilation. That set-up is just great. My Magic Hammer setup is AF body+1, dvt. mitts +1, mahatma slops, mahatma pigaches, penitents rope, aqua ringx1. I would use more but i'm out of macro/inventory room to macro/bring more.... SE needs to make more macro space!
 Siren.Louiscool
Server: Siren
user: Louiscool
By Siren.Louiscool 2009-08-04 22:24:36
Link | Quote | Reply

When soloing imps I find it very important to have metallic body on hand. They love hitting you with burn or some other dot and it really sucks not being able to rest between a fight waiting for it to wear.

Throw up stoneskin and you can rest while the dot just eats away at SS.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-08-05 01:03:04
Link | Quote | Reply

@Kalix: Good layout for why you pick specific spells and my basic is almost identical, but I haven't adopted the Fast-cast set yet. D:

@Xyooj: thanks for the gear set, I've seen a few people swap between AF and Errant, so I'm always curious to see which people are picking. Haven't merited Macc yet so I'm doing the same. :<

@Louis: good note, I find myself setting SS more and more often in Dyna for the same reason if I ever have a need to rest.

Keep'em coming!
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-05 01:09:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Really depends on what your doing. Generally speaking I set Autorefresh. Then frentic rip and disservement for dmg and acc bonus. Headbutt cause you always set headbutt lol. Then load up on mostly str ones especially Heatbreathe. Though I usually put blitzwhatever in cause 3dex for 4 points not bad. Uppercut also is like 3 points for 2str and 1 dex.
This puts me usually at like +30ish str and +24ish dex in my tp gear with sushi. Makes for not bad melee and/or casting some spells in tp gear lol.

If I'm soloing less on stats and add things like cocoon and refueling. And just generally try to stun lock and keep shadows up.

For HNMs well lol I dont really do HNMs on blu...
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-05 01:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Louiscool said:
When soloing imps I find it very important to have metallic body on hand. They love hitting you with burn or some other dot and it really sucks not being able to rest between a fight waiting for it to wear.

Throw up stoneskin and you can rest while the dot just eats away at SS.

Actually I'm pretty sure I do that too, haven't soloed any imps in a very long time though, and I didn't count the set points of the spells I listed...

Caiyuo, MP and time to cast aren't worth it for frightful roar when you consider how long an imp survives, in fact I never use it for soloing anything.

This is my Magic Hammer build: http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=79860

As in the description, I need to swap out Balrahn's for a +4 or 5 MND ring, but never had the inventory and just haven't gotten around to it since getting my satchel. Also Errant body would probably be better than the 5MAB on yigit. Even if it's the same I'll probably get one to enhance my cure build at the same time.

Some other builds I use (off the top of my head) are:

Nyzul Isle:
Head Butt
Big 3
Heat Breath (for flans)
Chaotic Eye
Refueling
Sheep Song (Not often needed, but VERY handy to have when you do)
Magic Fruit
Actinic Burst
Plasma Charge
Digest (used to help fill my MP before a heat breath on flans)
Magic Hammer (flans, wamoura, imps, random mp mobs)
Zephyr Mantle
Regurgitation (very nice damage/mp on slimes, bind can be handy)

Salvage:
Much the same as Nyzul Isle, but swap in Diamondhide and Frightful Roar in there in place of Heat Breath and Sheep song, keep magic hammer or mp drainkiss depending on which run you're doing.
I'll usually swap all my spells entirely for a debuff/breath/magical damage type set-up for boss fights.

Soloing mobs with no mp:
Head Butt, Big 3, Sub-Zero *** Slap, Filamented Hold, Sandspray, Digest.
Then of course magic fruit, refueling, actinic/plasma, chaotic/zephyr.

Played around with giving myself fast cast, but I really can't justify it, 5 set points is just too much to ask to equip Bad Breath when it's usually something like Filamented Hold which is what I'd have to swap out to equip it. If you're duo-ing something tough with a rdm then you could probably set it, but it's still a pretty hard thing to justify to me.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-05 01:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Just how good is Sub-zero anyways? Like proc rate and dmg?
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-05 01:34:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems to vary, I haven't experimented with different builds or bothered to see if other people have done any testing on it, but I heard MND effects proc rates. Either way though, it does about 400 damage on most solo-able mobs for 44MP, and the paralyze effect lasts a really long time even if the proc rate isn't that great. Although I have had mobs where the proc rate is actually quite decent, so it's totally worth it imo.

Also, your spell set really turns you into a one trick pony, equipping STR spells to enhance 2 damaging spells. It's funny that you don't do any HNM on blu though, because that's exactly what I aim for on Kirin and gods and such. I set Vertical Cleave, maybe set auto refresh and/or conserve MP, depending on the fight, then everything else goes into STR.

Same sorta strat for how I trio (rdm pld blu) Tanihwa. I set frost breath, poison breath and flying hip press (maybe it's just luck, but he seems to resist heat breath a lot more), then set auto refresh and everything else goes to HP. I'm totally reliant on the rdm for haste, refresh and cures, but I'm the main source of damage for this and even when I do pull hate it's easy to blink tank just through menu select (if I use my macros I'll lose about 700HP from gear swap).

<derail>
What the *** do I have to do to get Tanihwa to drop my *** sword anyway? I'm setting Lizard, Great Warrior, Might, Supreme Might, Lost and Found, and now Conditioning Contract, while my friend is equipping the same - Conditioning Contract. I'm now 0/55 on this mother ***.
</derail>
 Odin.Yakoo
user: Yakoo
By Odin.Yakoo 2009-08-05 01:36:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I use Yawn over Sheep Song, its more accurate at high lvl mobs.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
Server: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-08-05 01:45:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Yakoo said:

Has the annoying sight restriction though, fine if you're soloing but not so great for stuff like Nyzul. Also uses more set points so really depends on the situation you need the sleep for.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-05 01:50:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Tarowyn said:
Yakoo said:

Has the annoying sight restriction though, fine if you're soloing but not so great for stuff like Nyzul. Also uses more set points so really depends on the situation you need the sleep for.

^ all of this. Yawn is better and lasts longer, but the extra set point and the gaze limitation kill it in a lot of practical use.
 Odin.Ahligieri
user: jaeganja
By Odin.Ahligieri 2009-08-05 01:53:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Spells I always put on

Disseverment
Frenetic Rip
Metallic Body
Cocoon
Magic Fruit
Head Butt
Actinic Burst
Plamsa Charge

Everything else is very situational, but those are pretty much the spells I can't play BLU without. One thing I've been curious about - what's the best Magic Hammer you've done or seen? I've always liked the idea behind that spell as it's different than draining MP. Would be very nice against imps and such, with it being a light based spell.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-05 02:02:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:

Also, your spell set really turns you into a one trick pony, equipping STR spells to enhance 2 damaging spells. It's funny that you don't do any HNM on blu though, because that's exactly what I aim for on Kirin and gods and such. I set Vertical Cleave, maybe set auto refresh and/or conserve MP, depending on the fight, then everything else goes into STR.

Your right I am being 1 trick pony. Its on purpose. If Im going as a blu to something its because of the amount of dmg I can pull with no real support besides the occasional refresh. While being semi durable and able to run around. All that other stuff well thats for the rdm to do. Though I do set vertical cleave alot. Especially in situations where zergin might be important... or hitting weakness or for when the diff in disseverment dmg and cleave is overcome by the darkness dmg. I actually often only use disservement and headbutt. Heatbreath for magic if needed but kinda wasteful on mp and actnic burst for oh ***. Hit hard meleeing... throw down some nice spell dmg here and there while keeping mp high is what I do.
I have to be blm or rdm for all HNMs so yeah...
 Ramuh.Lilsanchez
By Ramuh.Lilsanchez 2009-08-05 02:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Going off memory but its something like.

Head Butt
Uppercut
Frenetic Rip
Hysteric Barrage
Dissevernment
Cannonball OR Vertical Cleave (Depends)
Refueling
Plasma Charge
Temporal Shift
Magic Fruit
Actanic Burst
Triumphant Roar
(Should be my normal set up, 46 Point cost)

Gives Refresh, Acc & Atk Bonus, decent STR & MP.
My flexible spell is Vertical Cleave/Cannonball. Can put in Dispel, cocoon, w/e I feel I really need for special occasions.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-05 02:13:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ahligieri, on imps with burst affinity I used to do about 180 Magic Hammer, and ~220 with Convergence. Then I gimped my MND build in favour of more macc, so it's not quite so good now, but certainly helps to keep chains going when solo.

Nyzul Isle last night I know I hit 300+ with convergence + Apollo's Staff on a flan, might have even been more than that, can't remember the exact number, plus it's a flan and using a staff, so not a situation that's going to come up often.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-05 02:16:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
Just how good is Sub-zero anyways? Like proc rate and dmg?

Did this just now:

User submitted image
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-08-05 02:18:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow thats more then good enough for me lol. Between headbutt locks and that soloing random stuff looks like itll be pretty easy
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-05 02:23:32
Link | Quote | Reply

That's probably the best I've seen, that fight it didn't proc once, so either it didn't stick or it's just totally random. I've had plenty of fights where it's only proc'd once or twice the whole fight, so it's hard to say. But yeah, the above example shows what it CAN be like, which makes it well worth setting if you ask me.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [118 days between previous and next post]
 Kujata.Kensagaku
Server: Kujata
user: Kensagaku
By Kujata.Kensagaku 2009-12-01 10:24:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, it's been a long time since this thread got bumped but I like showing off my BLU. Much better than my DRG, whom I haven't had luck getting a better body piece for than a SH. >_>

Let's see... favorite sets vary dependent on the event or situation. This is the set I generally use though. I don't have any Assimilation Merits yet, so only 45 points. =(

Head Butt (who doesn't have this?)
Frenetic Rip
Hysteric Barrage (Sometimes switched out for a mix of Cannonball and Blank Gaze when I'm /THF or need to pull during Nyzul)
Disseverment
Chaotic Eye (for Conserve MP and against spellcasting mobs it's useful)
Zephyr Mantle (Conserve MP or shadows for /THF)
Refueling
Actinic Burst
Plasma Charge
Cocoon
Metallic Body
MP Drainkiss (can be swapped out with Heat Breath dependent on situation)
Magic Fruit
Yawn (Can be swapped out for Sheep Song + Pollen to add a non-gaze Sleep and get a nice little Resist Sleep on the side, or switch this and Cocoon for Soporific if a dark-based works)

Traits gained from this:
Accuracy Bonus
Auto-Refresh
Conserve MP
Resist Sleep (if Yawn is switched out to make the Pollen + Magic Fruit Combo)
 Remora.Abriel
Server: Remora
user: Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-01 17:36:08
Link | Quote | Reply

since this thread's already been necroed~

melee /nin:
Refueling
Magic Fruit
Actinic Burst
Plazma Charge
Chaotic Eye
Zephyr Mantle
Battle Dance
Uppercut
Head Butt
Frenetic Rip
Hysteric Barrage
Disseverment
Vertical Cleave
Triumphant Roar
Pinecone Bomb

magical (normally /nin):
Refueling
Magic Fruit
Actinic Burst
Frightful Roar
Self-Destruct
Reactor Cool
Sound Blast
Chaotic Eye
Zephyr Mantle (or Firespit)
Bad Breath
Sub-Zero Smash
Amplification
Corrosive Ooze
Regurgitation
Sheep Song
Soporific
(sheep and sopo. are usually exchanged with other spells depending on target)

crowd control:
Refueling
Magic Fruit
Actinic Burst
Frightful Roar
Self-Destruct
Sub-Zero Smash
Bad Breath
Magnetite Cloud
Ice Break
Cocoon
Sheep Song
Soporific
Temporal Shift
Geist Wall
Stinking Gas
Sound Blast or Metalic Body

I use to use a breath build, but I've forgotten the spell set ~.~;
 Pandemonium.Sabishii
Server: Pandemonium
user: Sabishii
By Pandemonium.Sabishii 2009-12-01 18:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

My typical spell set as /NIN for general purpose stuff:

Head Butt
Frenetic Rip
Hysteric Barrage
Disseverment
Vertical Cleave
Cocoon
Actinic Burst
Plasma Charge
Regurgitate
Magic Fruit
Sub-Zero Smash
Bad Breath
MP Drainkiss (I might take it out and put something else in like Triumphant Roar if there's no mobs to Aspir with it)

I have Expiacion, so my self-skillchain is Darkness, that's why V. Cleave is in there. My CA vertical cleaves can equal at best or surpass Disseverment, and the darkness SC damage is delicious!

Bad Breath and Sub-zero Smash is for the fast cast trait, so I can cast utsusemi with my fast cast set 26% faster when I gain hate (which I often do).
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [98 days between previous and next post]
 Seraph.Iria
user: Iria
By Seraph.Iria 2010-03-09 22:05:24
Link | Quote | Reply

/NIN general DD set (I get Haste+Refresh) and Assimilation 5

Battle Dance (Attack Bonus piece and DEX+2)
Head Butt (Stun and DEX+2)
Uppercut (Attack Bonus piece and STR+2 DEX+1)
Pinecone Bomb (STR+1 and a form sleep)
Frenetic Rip (key damage spell and Accuracy Bonus piece)
Disseverment (key damage spell and Accuracy Bonus piece)
Firespit (STR+3 and Conserve MP piece)
Heat Breath (STR+3 and situational damage spell)
Cocoon (for added safety and only takes 1 point)
Plasma Charge (STR+3 DEX+3 and Auto-Refresh piece)
Magic Fruit (for added safety)
Actinic Burst (Auto-Refresh piece and Flash)
MP Drainkiss (Aspir)
Zephyr Mantle (Conserve MP piece)
Triumphant Roar (STR+3 and key damage spell (attack boost))

I vary these a bit depending on how much MP I'll have available externally (dynamis MP stones etc), if there are aspirable targets, if I need to focus on support more, etc.
 Cerberus.Ciecle
Server: Cerberus
user: Ciecle
By Cerberus.Ciecle 2010-03-09 22:44:19
Link | Quote | Reply

/Nin
Head Butt
Disseverment(Acc+)
Frenetic Rip(Acc+)
Hysteric Barrage
Exuviation
Vertical Cleve(When not fighting Imps) or Cannonball(fighting Imps)
Actinic Burst(Refresh)
Plasma Charge(Refresh)
Magic Fruit
Mp Drainkiss(when not fighting Imps) or Magic Hammer(fighting imps)
Cocoon
Metallic Body

After these set spells its just a matter of what I feel like setting after that, since I have 9 more points to mess with I usually add in more Str+/Dex+ spells to add damage.

If I am /sch I usually have Chaotic Eye, Blank Gaze, Sub-Zero Smash, and Regurgitation.(This is normally only in campaign.)
 Valefor.Grozny
Server: Valefor
user: Grozny
By Valefor.Grozny 2010-03-10 10:13:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Iria said:
/NIN general DD set (I get Haste Refresh) and Assimilation 5

Firespit (STR 3 and Conserve MP piece)
Zephyr Mantle (Conserve MP piece)

Iria, Just a small suggestion - If you are /nin, Chaotic eye might be better for you than Zephyr Mantle to be paired with Firespit for your Conserve MP. The silence will most likely be more helpful for you since you will have utsusemi anyways.
 Seraph.Iria
user: Iria
By Seraph.Iria 2010-03-10 12:24:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Grozny said:
Iria, Just a small suggestion - If you are /nin, Chaotic eye might be better for you than Zephyr Mantle to be paired with Firespit for your Conserve MP. The silence will most likely be more helpful for you since you will have utsusemi anyways.

Thanks for the input, but I don't cast Chaotic Eye nor Zephyr Mantle (I'm usually in a setting with a RDM who does that). So I picked Zephyr Mantle for the AGI+1 over Chaotic Eye (very minor really, but I don't really care lol).
 Valefor.Grozny
Server: Valefor
user: Grozny
By Valefor.Grozny 2010-03-11 09:35:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ahh, I see.
First Page 2