Yay Science!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Yay science!
Yay science!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
By crimsondragon 2016-11-23 19:52:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't you hear? America tastes great again!
By Ramyrez 2016-11-23 19:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

crimsondragon said: »
Didn't you hear? America tastes great again!

Not politics related.

It was a very specific reference.

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-12-05 15:15:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Kate Rubins just scienced the @$!# out of the International Space Station
Quote:
A molecular biologist sequences DNA, grows heart cells and watches them beat.

In space, Rubins worked on most of the 275 NASA investigations that were conducted during her four months aboard the station. The most notable project that Rubins led was the first-ever sequencing of DNA in space, of which she completed 211,000 sequences containing 2.35 billion bases. As part of this investigation, she worked on samples of mouse, virus, and bacteria DNA using a commercially available sequencing device called MinION. Onboard sequencing will likely help future astronauts on long-duration missions diagnose health issues with greater accuracy and treat them appropriately.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-12-18 04:50:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Scientists successfully reversed aging in mice

The result is for now of about one year of lifespan added with improved conditions for the cardiovascular system and muscle regeneration, plus no insurgence of tumours.

Obviously it will take a while to get experimentation approved for humans, but maybe by the time we're old...
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-01-03 21:06:46
Link | Quote | Reply

A theory that challenges Newton’s and Einstein’s gravity and nixes dark matter passed its first test
Quartz
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-01-04 10:32:48
Link | Quote | Reply

We have a new organ!

Or rather, a part of our body has been reclassified as an independent organ, the mesentery, originally hypothesized by Da Vinci some centuries ago. Apparently it has its own properties and it could lead to new discoveries for our health, which is always an awesome thing!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2017-01-04 10:59:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
We have a new organ!

Or rather, a part of our body has been reclassified as an independent organ, the mesentery, originally hypothesized by Da Vinci some centuries ago. Apparently it has its own properties and it could lead to new discoveries for our health, which is always an awesome thing!
Lol, was about to post this last night but got distracted.
We can now welcome the policeman of the abdomen as an official member of the organ club.
 Bismarck.Leneth
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2017-01-13 18:54:56
Link | Quote | Reply

That ended quickly

--------------------------------------------------

https://home.cern/about/updates/2016/12/alpha-observes-light-spectrum-antimatter-first-time
By Kodaijin 2017-01-13 20:10:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Dark matter and antimatter are not the same thing. Antimatter has been proven and observed. I believe they can actually create it at the place where of the spectrum was observed.
 Bismarck.Leneth
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2017-01-14 06:06:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Kodaijin said: »
Dark matter and antimatter are not the same thing. Antimatter has been proven and observed. I believe they can actually create it at the place where of the spectrum was observed.
Sorry for the confusion, the link and text were not connected to each other.
Text was a reply to the quoted link, while my link is something I recently heard about.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-01-14 10:12:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Kodaijin said: »
We have been making antimatter in accelerators for decades. Specifically positrons, the anti - electrons. Only with the CREN have we been able to produce heavier anti particles in sufficient quantities to do actual experiments.

Positrons were first observed in 1929....
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [39 days between previous and next post]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-02-22 12:26:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Nasa just announced they discovered a new star system with at least 3 habitable planets!

Unfortunately said star is in the Aquarius constelation, 39 light years away c_c but they got water!(probably..maybe)
[+]
 Fenrir.Sathicus
Server: Fenrir
user: SathQuetz
By Fenrir.Sathicus 2017-02-22 14:11:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Nasa just announced they discovered a new star system with at least 3 habitable planets!

Unfortunately said star is in the Aquarius constelation, 39 light years away c_c but they got water!(probably..maybe)

There is literally no indication of water whatsoever.
 Asura.Avallon
Server: Asura
By Asura.Avallon 2017-02-22 14:16:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Only this artist's concept illustration NASA provided. I'm guessing that's motor oil instead, then.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Sathicus
By Fenrir.Sathicus 2017-02-22 14:21:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Avallon said: »
Only this artist's concept illustration NASA provided. I'm guessing that's motor oil instead, then.

I mean, scientifically speaking, there is zero evidence of water on any of the planets. That is an illustration. Period.

The press conference has a lot of the standard "possible!" statements in it. Here, let me pull a direct example from https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/news/1419/nasa-telescope-reveals-largest-batch-of-earth-size-habitable-zone-planets-around-single-star/

"All of these seven planets could have liquid water–key to life as we know it–under the right atmospheric conditions, but the chances are highest with the three in the habitable zone."

Literally every single exoplanet "could have liquid water" until we show that they don't. All these planets do is pass the "is it a gaseous planet? if y -> no liquid water, if n -> continue to step 2" check.

Like, I'm not trying to ***on anyone's parade, this is fantastic news, but appreciate the discovery for what it is and what science we have actually accomplished, not *** hypotheticals from the media director.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-02-22 14:23:32
Link | Quote | Reply

(probably..maybe)
No need to bring salt on our new planets.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sathicus
By Fenrir.Sathicus 2017-02-22 14:29:08
Link | Quote | Reply

(probably..maybe)
No need to bring salt on our new planets.

It's a dumb statement though.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-02-22 14:30:42
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not. They said there could be.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Sathicus
By Fenrir.Sathicus 2017-02-22 14:32:52
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not. They said there could be.

See above.

It's a *** statement from media relations. There is no evidence that there is and no evidence that there isn't.

The surface could also be packed dense with ramen packets. Mountains of salty goodness. We don't know one way or another, it's literally as equally valid.

Baseless hypotheticals are dumb and detract from the actual science accomplished.
 Fenrir.Sathicus
By Fenrir.Sathicus 2017-02-22 14:34:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiahkf said: »
I would have used the word hopefully instead of probably, to be more concise.

Yeah, exactly.

It seems pedantic and unimportant, but it's actually one of the biggest problems with communications between science/academia and the general public. A lack of clear vocabulary often sends the actual discovery to the back of the bus in favor of wild, unscientific speculation.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-02-22 14:36:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Too much salt on Earth today over playful communication.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-02-22 14:41:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Could be all sorts of stuff including sulfuric acid or various other liquid substances that happen at that temperature. They could also be baked irradiated wastelands where you'd die within seconds on the surface. Earth got very lucky in that it's iron core generates a strong enough magnetic shield to keep our atmosphere intact and our surface fairly free of solar radiation. Mercury and Mars weren't so lucky and got theirs blown away a long time ago, Venus doesn't have an iron core but it's incredibly toxic atmosphere interacts with the incoming radiation to create an externally induced magnetic field that provides similar effect, it's actually one of the reasons most of the free Hydrogen is gone from the atmosphere yet the heavier molecules remain.

A planet being human habitable is extremely complex and it's incoming solar energy is only the first step in a long checklist of stuff that to go through.

Having said that, life is plentiful in this galaxy, just not life that would be recognizable to us. Europa almost certainly has bacterial life in the Ocean that exists a few kilometers under it's frozen surface. Life can exist outside of the carbon - oxygen cycle we're familiar with here on Earth, in deep sea trenches we've discovered exotic life using different chemical cycles like carbon - sulfur in temperatures and pressures far outside of what us humans would think is possible for life.

https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2001/ast13apr_1

That's just an example of what's here on this planet, imagine the sheer varieties that exist in environments where the local star deposited different chemical mixtures. Abiogenesis is a fascinating field to study and is intrinsically linked to the search for extrasolar life.
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-02-22 14:42:16
Link | Quote | Reply

The very definition of 'concept artistry' implies a hypothetical situation or scenario, yet for some reason NASA had one of their designers create this stunning image that specifically contains ice and water (albeit filthy with some sort of dark residue or substance in it - as seen on the icebergs).

Obviously nothing is set in stone here as the discovery is brand new, but I'd just about be willing to bet that NASA will learn more from this cluster of planets in the future than the red rock in our back yard.

I used the word water in my above statement due to NASA's frequent use of the word in the media press release AND in lieu of the specific image their designer used for the concept illustration. According to NASA, it is implied that the liquid in the concept image is in fact water.
 Fenrir.Sathicus
By Fenrir.Sathicus 2017-02-22 14:43:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »

Could be all sorts of stuff including sulfuric acid or various other liquid substances that happen at that temperature. They could also be baked irradiated wastelands where you'd die within seconds on the surface. Earth got very lucky in that it's iron core generates a strong enough magnetic shield to keep our atmosphere intact and our surface fairly free of solar radiation. Mercury and Mars weren't so lucky and got their blown away a long time ago, Venus doesn't have an iron core but it's incredibly toxic atmosphere interacts with the incoming radiation to create an externally induced magnetic field that provides similar effect, it's actually one of the reasons most of the free Hydrogen is gone from the atmosphere yet the heavier molecules remain.

A planet being human habitable is extremely complex and it's incoming solar energy is only the first step in a long checklist of stuff that to go through.

Having said that, life is plentiful in this galaxy, just not life that would be recognizable to us. Europa almost certainly has bacterial life in the Ocean that exists a few kilometers under it's frozen surface. Life can exist outside of the carbon - oxygen cycle we're familiar with here on Earth, in deep sea trenches we've discovered exotic life using different chemical cycles like carbon - sulfur in temperatures and pressures far outside of what us humans would think is possible for life.

https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2001/ast13apr_1

That's just an example of what's here on this planet, imagine the sheer varieties that exist in environments where the local star deposited different chemical mixtures. Abiogenesis is a fascinating field to study and is intrinsically linked to the search for extrasolar life.

Being pedantic because I actually agree with you, but being correct is important. We have a sample size of 1 for locations where life exists in the universe.

Can't say ***about a sample size of one.

(Again, I agree with you that it is beyond improbable that there is no life in some form or another, just to state it concretely is incorrect.)
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-02-22 14:45:23
Link | Quote | Reply

The very definition of 'concept artistry' implies a hypothetical situation or scenario, yet for some reason NASA had one of their designers create this stunning image that specifically contains ice and water (albeit filthy with some sort of dark residue or substance in it - as seen on the icebergs).

NASA does this all the time to generate public interest. Nearly every single photo NASA releases has been through false color processing because visible light is only a fraction of the spectrum they study. It's physically impossible for a human to see a photo taken from an X-ray telescope, so instead they translate the high energy readings into a range that humans can see and use artists to depict what it ~could~ look like. Generates a lot of public support so they can justify keeping funding from Congress.
 Fenrir.Sathicus
By Fenrir.Sathicus 2017-02-22 14:50:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Obviously nothing is set in stone here as the discovery is brand new, but I'd just about be willing to bet that NASA will learn more from this cluster of planets in the future than the red rock in our back yard.

You have a fundamental misconception about the process by which these artist concepts are made. There is literally zero data about the surface composition of these planets. It isn't being hidden. It doesn't exist.

We can actually get physical data and do experiments on Mars. We won't be able to do anything except EM spectrum observations and spectroscopy on exoplanets for generations.

We have a proposed plan in place for flybys of ProxCen that would get pictures back to us in ~60ish years and that project is amazingly awesome and very promising, assuming the funding is there. I'm very excited about Starshot. But that's only 4Ly away, not 40.

Anyway, I know I seem like I'm being a downer but there is a beauty and wonder to what we can actually prove and accomplish and what we have managed to actually show. You don't need to go to extremes and start guessing beyond any of this for it to be amazing. These planets don't need to have water to be a great discovery. We don't need to travel to them to have what we can learn about them be relevant. Nor do we need to pretend that there is anything unique about the planetary system so far besides the number of planets in the habitable zone and total number of planets in such close proximity.

Our recorded exoplanet catalog is almost in the 4000s now. There are planets we know orders of magnitude more about than these and we still don't have any idea of the surface compositions. There's so much amazing data and science that we have learned about planets that goes unappreciated because it isn't delivered with a NASA press conference. I get my jimmies rustled when what we've actually managed to accomplish gets overshadowed by "yeah but what if..."
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-02-22 14:50:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I really liked the idea of the spacedrill. I hope it will happen (relatively) soon.
 Fenrir.Sathicus
By Fenrir.Sathicus 2017-02-22 14:52:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »

NASA does this all the time to generate public interest. Nearly every single photo NASA releases has been through false color processing because visible light is only a fraction of the spectrum they study. It's physically impossible for a human to see a photo taken from an X-ray telescope, so instead they translate the high energy readings into a range that humans can see and use artists to depict what it ~could~ look like. Generates a lot of public support so they can justify keeping funding from Congress.

FWIW this is completely correct.

I am a scientist on a certain NASA X-ray telescope project. I also have lunch pretty regularly with the head "artist" for promotional material attached to the mission. Shame he's actually leaving soon to go work for JWST. We actually just got a calendar sent to us by Goddard featuring a lot of his work. ***is great.

There is a lot of publicly available raw X-ray spectrum data that you can even google and compare side-by-side with press release images.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8