Bushido - The Way Of The Samurai (A Guide) V. 2.0

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Bushido - The Way of The Samurai (A Guide) V. 2.0
Bushido - The Way of The Samurai (A Guide) V. 2.0
First Page 2 3 ... 118 119 120 ... 153 154 155
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
By Siren.Kyte 2020-01-10 14:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I would recommend at least getting the sune-ate. I have both, but I got a good deal on the legs as part of a bundle. But you're not going to change your mind, so whatever lol
 Asura.Lunafreya
Server: Asura
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2020-01-10 15:11:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Curious to see what stats some of you guys have on valorous head/hands/feet.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-01-10 15:22:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
I would recommend at least getting the sune-ate. I have both, but I got a good deal on the legs as part of a bundle. But you're not going to change your mind, so whatever lol

I have em too, I just never really find that I use them any more for SAM, so wouldn't strongly suggest them as necessary (or even especially relevant) to the person wondering whether to use or sell his jinxed stuff.

Feet do have some better use on other jobs though - they're nice for PUP and MNK crit WS. So if you're gonna use them for something other than SAM, maybe more of a compelling case to make them (plus, jinxed feet are relatively cheap so not as much of a loss if you don't use them tons). Hands are also good for other jobs: NIN Blade: Hi, again for PUP MNK crit WS. The piece I actually get the most mileage out of from the Ryuo+1 set is the head for PUP TP w/ Kenkonken (thanks in large part to PUP's relatively poor alternative head options), though I have no use for it on SAM.
By Taint 2020-01-10 15:34:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ryuo feet are an exceptional piece....

Zanhasso+11 is nothing to scoff at. As i posted on the last page i use two ryuo+1 feet augments.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-01-10 15:42:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
Ryou feet are an exceptional piece....

Zanhasso+10 is nothing to scoff at. As i posted on the last page i use two ryou+1 feet augments.

I still don't see them as better than a Ken+1 set for any situation where it "matters". On lower tier trash, I don't particularly care about optimizing to shave seconds off for mobs that are trivial pushovers to begin with (If Zanhasso even beats TA in such a scenario). As a practical matter, either gear approach probably works just as well in those situations, TBH, and which set does better DPS is likely more down to how lucky you are on not wasting TP overkilling weak mobs.

On the other hand, some situations are clear cut that Ken+1 is necessary, so it's not debatable that those are a higher priority. So again, maybe make the Ryuo+1 if you have all of the other big money SAM pieces (Ken +1 set, R15 masa, +2 neck, etc.). Otherwise, if you have limited funds your money is better spent elsewhere.

But yeah, we're kinda going in circles now and anyone who reads it can make up their own mind ;)

I am still interested in particularly compelling use cases for the Ryuo sets that I might not be thinking about though. Certainly possible that I'm overlooking something, or that I could get suggestions that I might use myself. I'm not convinced now, but that's more because other than a single person citing Dyna wave 1 (which, who really cares) and Disjoined boss (fair enough point, but pretty niche to make a piece specifically for that), nobody is actually providing practical scenarios where Ryuo is the better choice.
 Asura.Darkkaze
user: Darcc
By Asura.Darkkaze 2020-01-10 15:44:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Zanhasso+11 is nothing to scoff at. As i posted on the last page i use two ryuo+1 feet augments.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. But doesn't the benefit of Zanhasso diminish the closer to accuracy cap you are?
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-01-10 15:45:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Darkkaze said: »

Please correct me if I'm wrong. But doesn't the benefit of Zanhasso diminish the closer to accuracy cap you are?

Yeah. Which makes me wonder why not simply capping acc with the higher acc pieces (while also getting a ton more Meva) isn't the better call. That's my philosophy.
 Asura.Darkkaze
user: Darcc
By Asura.Darkkaze 2020-01-10 15:47:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Asura.Darkkaze said: »

Yeah. Which makes me wonder why not simply capping acc with the higher acc pieces (while also getting a ton more Meva) isn't the better call. That's my philosophy.

Right, I honestly never understood the hype, because in most situations that matter, you're going to be buffed to the point of capped or near capped acc
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2020-01-10 15:52:34
Link | Quote | Reply

sounds like you don't know what zanhasso is
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-01-10 16:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I get that you also have better TP return due to the Zanhasso procs on hits too, yes (though, giving up TA to get that). But if you're fighting something dangerous or requiring acc, you should prob be in Ken+1 anyway for the defensive benefits and the base acc, right? So we're left with what, using Zanhasso to optimize TP generation for trash mobs?

I'm not being sarcastic here, so if someone has a better way to explain things (and again, practical scenarios where the Zanhasso set is a better choice), please share.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2020-01-10 16:19:37
Link | Quote | Reply

you can zanshin without missing with hasso active up to 35% of your zanshin rate, low accuracy has nothing to do with it
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-01-10 16:26:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
you can zanshin without missing with hasso active up to 35% of your zanshin rate, low accuracy has nothing to do with it

Yeah, but you still get comparatively more out of "Zanshin" gear when you are also getting the normal Zanshin procs (after miss). I get that Zanhasso is also its own thing, and procs on hits too. But to get that, you're giving up TA (making up some of the TP gap), Acc, and Meva from Ken+1. And you're likely going to care about that Acc/Meva on hard stuff.

Zanhasso is pure win on easy mobs and capped acc, but then again... TA works pretty darn well in that situation too. Either case, they die fast, so I don't particularly bother optimizing for it. Harder stuff, gimme my Meva (and I won't complain about the high acc either). I guess if there's something "hard" but that has zero risk of hitting you with magical damage/enfeebles, AND you don't need the acc... sure, go Zanhasso. But exactly what practical situations are people finding where that's the case?
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2020-01-10 16:43:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I still stand by my stance that Kendatsuba+1 is better DPS, but I already spent time writing a lengthy post and didn't manage to convince anyone, so meh. I'll just ignore this conversation beyond this point, lol.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-01-10 17:04:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, I understand that. But wearing Zanshin+ gear ALSO helps the non-Zanhasso type of Zanshin. Which is at least of some benefit if you have lower acc, but provides very little if you're good on Acc. Not really the main concern here, but it's at least something.

Odin.Llewelyn said: »
I still stand by my stance that Kendatsuba+1 is better DPS, but I already spent time writing a lengthy post and didn't manage to convince anyone, so meh. I'll just ignore this conversation beyond this point, lol.

Even if Ken+1 isn't better, it's certainly not substantially worse in any meaningful situations I'm aware of (and nobody seems capable of providing real examples to the contrary, with the possible exception of Divergence mega boss while you're getting lotsa buffs - which I could at least see maybe being true). So why not go with Ken+1 for the additional Meva alone since, at the very least, you aren't significantly hurting your DPS?

And in some situations (like, where the acc matters), I wholeheartedly agree that Ken+1 is clearly better. I know I haven't run into real situations where the Zanhasso set resulted in significantly better DPS, and I've tried both.

But yeah I think there's nothing left for me to say here either.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2020-01-10 17:23:08
Link | Quote | Reply

yes, it helps when you miss, but you don't gear to miss, you still want to cap acc. and on the note of capping acc, coming from people that like to go on about tp bonus offhands and capping with < 1100 acc, ken is overkill on the acc department. as for the dps difference between the two sets, the gap is closer now than when it was first proposed.

not like someone can't have both sets anyways since not everything requires m.eva, whole game is situational.

and i wear 4/5 kenda all the time because i don't feel like going to the porter moogle for kasuga
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-01-10 18:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

coming from people that like to go on about tp bonus offhands and capping with < 1100 acc

That's not me. I'm actually a bigger skeptic of TP bonus offhands than a lot of people here, since, again... great for trash or theoretical DPS, much harder to use for serious content.

not like someone can't have both sets anyways since not everything requires m.eva

Sure, fine. But if anyone reading this is prioritizing which SAM gear to get that they don't already have, I'd put Ryuo +1 pretty low on that list.
 Bismarck.Ringoko
Server: Bismarck
user: appleboy
By Bismarck.Ringoko 2020-01-10 18:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
coming from people that like to go on about tp bonus offhands and capping with < 1100 acc

That's not me. I'm actually a bigger skeptic of TP bonus offhands than a lot of people here, since, again... great for trash or theoretical DPS, much harder to use for serious content.

not like someone can't have both sets anyways since not everything requires m.eva

Sure, fine. But if anyone reading this is prioritizing which SAM gear to get that they don't already have, I'd put Ryuo +1 pretty low on that list.

I'm more interested in knowing what won you a lockstyle contest and when the next contest is so I can get some sweet subligar icons.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-01-14 20:44:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Why, that would be my trashy pirate look (COR lockstyle 4 life):

ItemSet 370736

I've since updated the melee weapons, but was in an Arendsi Fleuret for the contest (and I still kinda dig the Fleuret when using a sword, but usually just rock Naegling when I'm actually using that as my mainhand). If anybody else likes em and missed out, timely note that the legs and body are available from the rank 5 Bonanza costume kupon!

And yeah, we need a new lockstyle contest! My badge came from the 2nd one, which was way back in October 2015 and I think was the last one. Lot of pics in that thread lost to Tinypic demise or other lacking hosting sites, so I went ahead and took a brand new picture JUST FOR YOU!

Interestingly enough with the recent discussion here (Ken+1 or Ryuo+1), my SAM lockstyle is kinda boring... and features 4/5 Ken+1 set and the yagudo hat ;P (see this is an on topic post)
By eeternal 2020-01-18 04:30:19
Link | Quote | Reply

is Yoichinoyumi worth upgrading r15? does it even do decent damage? only need it for sc when im not meleeing and if it does decent damage then might upgrade it.
By Taint 2020-01-18 05:04:30
Link | Quote | Reply

eeternal said: »
is Yoichinoyumi worth upgrading r15? does it even do decent damage? only need it for sc when im not meleeing and if it does decent damage then might upgrade it.

I have it. It’s terrible. Gimic only weapon like piercing delve mobs and you def don’t need r15 for that.

However, The AFK factor is pretty baller.
[+]
By eeternal 2020-01-18 05:20:30
Link | Quote | Reply

that AFK part lol.. thank you for the insight
 Valefor.Yandaime
Server: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2020-01-18 10:27:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I’m loving SAM so far but I can’t express how annoyed I am with the 95% hit rate cap on 2-Handed weapons... it’s so very frustrating when you’re on the 4th WS of the super-light combo and... “Tachi: Fudo Misses”

$&@“!?

Lol... One in Twenty of our WSs will wiff... grrrrr lol
 Bahamut.Nikkije
Server: Bahamut
user: nikkije
By Bahamut.Nikkije 2020-01-18 13:56:47
Link | Quote | Reply

There's times where I feel like Fudo misses more than that, I have whiffed Fudo on level 50 mobs before and was dumbfounded. You just have to get used to it :/
[+]
By Smurfyx 2020-01-21 11:44:03
Link | Quote | Reply

do people still play sam now?
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2020-01-21 12:01:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Smurfyx said: »
Nope, most everyone just plays bst after the last few updates.
By Taint 2020-01-21 12:47:34
Link | Quote | Reply

SAM is in a great position especially for low man content. 5 step > Light/Radiance wrecks most mobs.

I use it to speed run Lilith E when lines are low, its not nearly as safe as MNK but its incredibly fast. People like Ejiin buff SAM to high hell and zerg Lilith VD.
By Smurfyx 2020-01-21 13:34:13
Link | Quote | Reply

SAM is in a great position especially for low man content. 5 step > Light/Radiance wrecks most mobs.

I use it to speed run Lilith E when lines are low, its not nearly as safe as MNK but its incredibly fast. People like Ejiin buff SAM to high hell and zerg Lilith VD.

Thanks. I haven’t played in along time but I had a samurai back in day of Abby with relic and empy
 Bahamut.Nikkije
Server: Bahamut
user: nikkije
By Bahamut.Nikkije 2020-01-29 14:53:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Someone help me understand why I see Fotia in most of the WS sets for SAM? Almost all of GKT WS are single hit, is there really nothing better?

Edit: Referring to the belt
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2020-01-29 15:03:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Nikkije said: »
is there really nothing better?
At capped attack, no. Uncapped attack, Prosilio +1 should be our best option.
First Page 2 3 ... 118 119 120 ... 153 154 155