Forum » FFXIAH.com » Help » Video Card problems
Video Card problems
 Bismarck.Herzins
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Herzins
By Bismarck.Herzins 2013-11-19 09:20:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I upgraded my vcard from a Radeon HD5830 (1GB) to an ASUS GTX650TIB-DC2OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0. For some reason, I'm having my graphics "flicker". Like bird wings flicker, my char hands flicker when casting spells, NPCs at distance flicker, and sometimes I get a distortion of my graphics when running in Port Jeuno. I'm not sure if it's a windower problem or if it is because I'm dual boxing. I have tried Batman Arkham Origins and I haven't seen this happen with that game, so I'm wondering what it could be. I have played around with the settings in ffxi, and still haven't been able to find out what the cause is.

I have installed the latest drivers in the vcard too and it hasn't helped.

Asrock 880 g Pro board
Processor AMD Phenom X4 955 black edition Quad Core
8 GB RAM

Any advise?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2013-11-19 09:58:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Driver could be a problem? After I updated mine back when I still played everything would turn into wireframe after a while so I had to downgrade mine. Would explain why you don't have the problem in Batman I guess

I'd get these weird blue dots too

Bismarck.Herzins
By Bismarck.Herzins 2013-11-19 16:11:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm, my vcard drivers are current. Check this out, these kind of things are what I'm experiencing.

That black block flickers off and on, it happens on almost everything, it's annoying!

I hope I can find an answer cuz it's making me wonder if the problem is the vcard and/or if I should replace it before the return deadline is gone.

Please advise.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
Server: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-11-19 16:41:36
Link | Quote | Reply

looks like a z buffer problem.
you might want to see if you can disable FastZ or some other Z buffer acceleration features, if driver updating/rollback does not work
 Bismarck.Herzins
By Bismarck.Herzins 2013-11-19 16:52:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Gaiarorshack said: »
looks like a z buffer problem.
you might want to see if you can disable FastZ or some other Z buffer acceleration features, if driver updating/rollback does not work

How do I disable that? I can't do rollback and it has the lastest update :(
 Phoenix.Yakuzo
Server: Phoenix
user: Yakuzo
By Phoenix.Yakuzo 2013-11-19 17:46:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I also got that because i just built a whole new computer from scratch and when i played 11 the very same thing happend not as bad but got flickers and slow downs in that and other games like guild wars 2 - i sent back that graphics card (Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X 3GB 384 bit). Just got my new card which is the R9 270x Vapor-X 2GB 256 bit graphics card that is also from Sapphire and played Guild Wars 2 for 30 minutes and havent seen a flicker so far and hoping it will stay that way! (13.6 cataylst driver CD that came with graphics card) Going to re-install 11 and see if it happends again - if it does i will be a sad panda :(
 Bismarck.Herzins
By Bismarck.Herzins 2013-11-19 18:01:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Yakuzo said: »
I also got that because i just built a whole new computer from scratch and when i played 11 the very same thing happend not as bad but got flickers and slow downs in that and other games like guild wars 2 - i sent back that graphics card (Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X 3GB 384 bit). Just got my new card which is the R9 270x Vapor-X 2GB 256 bit graphics card that is also from Sapphire and played Guild Wars 2 for 30 minutes and havent seen a flicker so far and hoping it will stay that way! (13.6 cataylst driver CD that came with graphics card) Going to re-install 11 and see if it happends again - if it does i will be a sad panda :(

I'm going to install the old vcard and see if this happens. I didn't want to return the card cuz of the hazzle and stuff but I might have to :/
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Server: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2013-11-19 18:57:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Does your computer have sufficient power? If it does, make sure it is providing proper voltage output.

In rare occasions your power supply can be faulty, you can check on BIOS at start up and look under monitor. Look for output on +12V, should be between 11.96 and 12.30 volts~

General overheating can also cause these issues. Double check system temps (CPU, GPU) in both Idle and Load states.

You can also try and do a hardware test on the graphics card. Download FurMark from http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/. Set the resolution to your desktop default and run the stability test. Run the test for at least 60 minutes. If it passes without errors the card is fine, if not it is likely a hardware issue within the card.

I'm going through a video card problem myself so this is fresh in my head. Good luck!