Monstrosity Leveling Guide
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Shiva.Gib
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2013-10-21 19:23:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I gotta say I'm loving gnat, that thing is a pint sized terror and basically hundred fists -1 when discharge haste is on
 Phoenix.Demonjustin
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Demonjustin 2013-10-21 20:01:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lyncath said: »
Peiste
Words cannot quite describe how much fun you will have leveling this thing. Unlocked by getting both Raptor and Eft to Lv50 and by forking out 8000 Infamy. Peistes are the scourge of many monsters and are death incarnate for vermin in particular.

Despite being limited to a melee-only role and lacking any sort of magical prowess Peistes gain two very good TP moves at a very early stage: Torpefying Charge (1) and Delta Thrust (10). Torpefying Charge packs a nasty paralysis and is a fantastic "Oh ***" button for when you get one-too-many links. Delta Thrust is as frustrating as you remember it but thankfully you're on the giving end of it. Delta inflicts a very strong plague effect on your target which saps its' TP. You really notice the effect of it and, when combined with Torpefying Charge, can utterly cripple anything.

If it seemed impossible Peistes get even more dangerous when they reach Lv40 and unlock what is arguably one of the most if not THE most broken attack currently in Monstrosity: Calcifying Mist. Calcifying Mist is practically unavoidable by any target, even if said target is a good 20-30 levels higher than yourself. It starts a countdown to petrification that takes 20 seconds to take effect. As the timer ticks down the target begins to slow to a crawl before the petrification eventually takes full effect. The petrification effect can last for upwards of 5 minutes, 5 minutes where you can just wail away on an immobilized target that has no means to defend itself.

Once you unlock Calcifying Mist you can blight the Crawler's Nest like a dose of Colorado Beetle. Much like Efts, Peistes are practically immune to all forms of Slow and Poison so you can terrorize Crawlers to your hearts content.
This makes me look forward to leveling Peiste once I finish getting my Adamantoise to 99... if I can keep myself going that long... but it does sound great.

The only thing I want to point out is, while Calcifying Mist is insane, and it sounds overpowered, I have to say I think that Wivres have a more overpowered ability with Granite Skin. The fact no monster can actually force you to turn, and the fact that you have to face an enemy to attack, means everything should always be in front of you, and Granite Skin makes all attacks which originate from in front of you do 0 DMG. The ability basically makes you invincible for a full minute at the small cost of 100 TP, making it impossible to die even against an army of 15 mobs at your level or higher!
 Fenrir.Minibuddha
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Minibuddha 2013-10-22 03:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Gib said: »
I gotta say I'm loving gnat, that thing is a pint sized terror and basically hundred fists -1 when discharge haste is on

Yeah i unlocked Gnat a few days ago. I pretty much got from 25-32 in Qufim Island in under 25 minutes with Discharge. The haste is crazy I love it. let alone I already have +7% haste regular haste added on...super crazy haha.
 Shiva.Dourid
user: Dourid
By Shiva.Dourid 2013-10-22 14:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Lyncath said: »
Peiste
Words cannot quite describe how much fun you will have leveling this thing. Unlocked by getting both Raptor and Eft to Lv50 and by forking out 8000 Infamy. Peistes are the scourge of many monsters and are death incarnate for vermin in particular.
You're definitely missing out on some other monsters that really shine. Peiste was okay but Calcifying Mist is very costly and really only helps for that one use. The notable monsters I've found since I've leveled almost everything so far are:

Scorpion - Its long-lasting attack boost turns it into a power house which opens the use for other instincts, and Death Scissors is probably the hardest hitting tp move outside of Cactuar's.

Spider - Pretty basic mob, but you should be trying to level it for its incredible instincts. Since i've drk leveled, the Reticulated DRK Spider was quite fun to play. Sickle Slash is decent, and I've come to notice that any double attack proc on it will virtually double the damage.

Opo-Opo - Was far beyond my expectations and still what I consider to be one of the better mobs. The attack speed on this thing really shows. Additionally, Vicious Claw hits like a truck, The gaze abilities can despell, and magic fruit gets better and better as you level. I had absolutely no trouble getting this to 75 and wouldn't mind getting it to 90 either.

Cerberus - Anyone who has unlocked this so far will probably agree with me in saying this is probably the best all-around monster right now. Decent attack speed, has the perks of increased movement speed(which is rare for large mobs), an incredible tp move in Magma Hoplon, and most importantly; resistant to damn near everything--status, and damage included. I'm VERY much looking forward to unlocking the Orthrus version. If you haven't unlocked this, you will not be disappointed.

Sabotender - Do I really even need to explain this one? I don't know what's going to happen to these, but they will definitely need a nerf for the pvp or they will be near unstoppable. And it even gets a rdm version. Need I say more?

And of course..
Phoenix.Demonjustin said: »
The only thing I want to point out is, while Calcifying Mist is insane, and it sounds overpowered, I have to say I think that Wivres have a more overpowered ability with Granite Skin. The fact no monster can actually force you to turn, and the fact that you have to face an enemy to attack, means everything should always be in front of you, and Granite Skin makes all attacks which originate from in front of you do 0 DMG. The ability basically makes you invincible for a full minute at the small cost of 100 TP, making it impossible to die even against an army of 15 mobs at your level or higher!
I had just finished getting the nightmare that was Marid to just 30 and I was virtually accepting that Wivre was gonig to be a nightmare to level as well before I even tried it.
Much to an absolute contrary, Wivre has normal movement speed, and two very dangerous tp moves. Granite Skin IS very good. However, it doesn't last too long. What really brought me to love leveling wivre was Boiling Blood. A 3 minute haste and berserk effect that will let you cleave through mobs. You can even just take the berserk effect off and abuse the haste. You don't even need the offensive tp moves with this thing.

With that said, I'm also looking forward to Gnat since I just finished unlocking it yesterday, and it looks to have that same feature.
Anyway, you really can't miss with any of these.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-10-22 14:45:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Peiste was easily the most aggravating and boring monster that I leveled. It basically was just use calcifying mist and proceed to melee everything to death; nothing it does hits particularly hard, and it has no really good abilities besides mist.

Wivre was easily the most fun. Between Granite Skin and Boiling Blood, I felt like an absolute bouss, and I could still toss out Crippling Slams and whatnot if I wanted to toss it up and feel like my TP was still well spent..
 Cerberus.Vipenz
Server: Cerberus
user: raspy
By Cerberus.Vipenz 2013-10-25 05:32:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Just wondering if anyone had a good path to level large sized monsters from level 50+. every thing i check seems to bomb out.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder 2013-10-25 05:49:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Vipenz said: »
Just wondering if anyone had a good path to level large sized monsters from level 50+. every thing i check seems to bomb out.

50-52 in Xarca near Uleguerand Range zone, or Western Altepa near Kuftal

52-56 in Uleguerand Range in the first tunnel near zoneline on rabbits, worms and bats.

56-62 in Bhaflau on Lesser Colibri

62-70 in the same zone on Colibri

70-79 or so on Imps etc in Caedarva Mire

79-83ish in Misareaux Coast on Seaboard Vultures

From here on it gets terrible, your only option is 83-86/7 on Ahriman up at Uleguerand Range south of conflux 7. Tons of HP and just terrible to fight in general. You can get to 86/7 on them and if you're trying for 90, I strongly suggest going to Caedarva and slaughtering EP-DC but it's painfully slow. This is realistically the highest you can reach on large monsters right now.
[+]
 Cerberus.Vipenz
Server: Cerberus
user: raspy
By Cerberus.Vipenz 2013-10-25 06:13:50
Link | Quote | Reply

thx for the quick response been leveling ram and its been dreadful
 Bismarck.Chasuro
Server: Bismarck
user: Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2013-10-26 14:12:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Today I saw a dhalmel with an obvious mule rabbit on follow. Their names were blue and it appeared they were teamed up. Anyone know about being able to team up as mons?
 Phoenix.Hazen
user: Hazen
By Phoenix.Hazen 2013-10-26 14:20:18
Link | Quote | Reply

It's basically powerlevelling. There's no partying up (yet), but Monipulators can cast certain spells on other Monipulators the same way any passing player can cast certain spells on another player.

Haste, pro/shell, and cures/-nas for any of the dozens of WAR/WAR or other such magic-less mobs in Monstrosity... sure sounds nice!

Eventually there will be partying up with other MONs, but not until some time next year probably since November's Monstrosity content is about adding the MON vs. GLA combat and the Amorphs/Birds/Aquans ecosystem. Partying sure would be nice though, would speed up the grind so much and would be more fun with other people the same way old school EXP pts could be fun.
 Bismarck.Chasuro
user: Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2013-10-26 14:21:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh that makes sense with the Rabbit being whm. Thanks.
 Shiva.Dourid
By Shiva.Dourid 2013-10-27 14:28:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, so I just finished making a short and quick leveling guide for large beasts for someone who asked through pm's...
Annnnd I wound up putting more detail than I expected. So here's more ideas to anyone having trouble with large. Definitely had some similarities with Kainstryde.

Dourid said:
Yeah large were a real pain pre update. For most of the large beasts that I leveled then trying to find Manticore/Cerberus, I got Ram, Dhalmel, Buffalo, Marid, Goobbue, Bugard, and Wivre all the way to 60 in just xarcabard fighting gigas. Even for small/medium mobs I have YET to find a good place to level 50-60. For large, it just wasn't possible before the update to go any further. Now that we have some other zones, that changed slightly.

When I did Cerberus, I didn't need to do the Xarcabard/Gigas method (thank the heavens!). Instead, Western Altepa Desert works quite well as an alternative, albeit being a very large zone.

So for a rough outline for large mobs that I did get to 90, this is how it went:

1. 1-14 -- South Gustaberg fighting whatever until 14.

2. 15-24 -- I've personally found Buburimu Peninsula to absolutely destroy Valkurm Dunes dunes in terms of the amount of higher level mobs to fight, so I highly recommend always going there for the 14-24 range for any mob size. The left side of the area boasts mandy's, rabits, and the occasional goblins you can fight until 18. When you get that, venture towards the middle, which has the higher level goblins and plenty of dhalmel and zu roaming around. When you get to about 21, the upper part of the zone has slightly higher level versions of everything that can take you to 24 (This level is especially nice because you will have exactly 34 points for instincts so: Dragoon's+Warrior's or Dark Knights+Raptor I+Mandragora I can be put on.

3. 25-30 -- The 24-30 range is kind of a pain. Since Qufim is out of the question, you'll just have to try Rolanberry. Fight everything. Maybe stay away from the goobbues and higher tier quadavs until 28 or so. It takes a bit but this area does its job.

4. 31-40 -- 30-40 is rather painless. There is a VERY good spot in Beaucedine Glacier to go 30-35 on the lower left-hand side. Between (F-10) and (G-9) are a plentiful amount of goblins and tigers that will get you to even 36 if you want to stay that long. Then you can finish up in the same area near Fei'Yin. There are higher level goblins at (J-6) on the upper hill type thing, and when you finish with this, you can just go down to (J-5) where more goblins reside while the other respawn.

5. 41-46 -- 40-46 can be easily done in Xarcabard. Undead are a real pain to fight, but luckily, there aren't any where the giant group of Gigas are in the upper right. These will easily get you to 46 or even 48 I think. Whenever they become even match, move on.

6. 47-56 -- This is where the changes come into play, but it's still very tough to get through. There are very few places to go from 50-60 and we're not even 50 yet. Antican Lanista in western altepa really help here. They are remotely squishy and all over the upper left part of the area. A helpful hint: DO NOT fight the Hoplomachus. You will be on one for at least 5 minutes. Avoid as much as possible. Stick to the Lanista and Manticores and try your hardest to get to at LEAST 56 here.

7. 57-70 -- There is definitely a light at the end of the tunnel, however, because now things become extremely simplified. We got our beloved aht urhgan camps back last update and they have stayed just as helpful as ever. Colibri are wonderful mobs to exp on. Mostly harmless tp moves with the exception of feather tickle. Simply don't sit on your tp. They hit rather light and are squishy themselves. Anyway, 56-70 will be a breeze in Bhaflau Thickets. Lesser Colibri at (J-9) is a very good spot. While there are less birds than the beginning of the area, no fomor appear here. This will take you all the way to 62. When that time comes, switch over to tigers. There's a nice little camp at (H-8) (the left part of the tile) where you can rest without aggro and there are tigers on both sides allowing easy chains. These should get you to 65 no problem. Finally, switch over to regular Colibri. Either (G-8) or (F-9), you can't miss with a good spot for these and they will easily take you all the way to 70.

8. 71-77 -- Things get even easier here with our old friends the imps. You will absolutely become spoiled on these things. One thing to note is 70 is VERY early for coming here, but boy is it worth it. Stack accuracy to have any kind of shot at hitting the mobs the first few levels. In Caedarva Mire, The old school camps work just as well here at (I-7,8,and 9). High exp yield and the most fragile mobs you'll fight, the Heraldic Imps will take you to 77 with very little difficulty.

9. 78-80 -- This short stay comes from Misareaux Coast. The Seaboard Vultures don't link or aggro, and really only have offensive tp moves that only do damage, making them pretty painless to exp on. You can stay until 81, but that's only if the gigantic loss in exp in level transition doesn't bother you. And I wouldn't blame you beacuse..

10. 81-86 -- Our final destination, and I'm sad to say the roller coaster has come back down here. This is tough. Uleguerand Range was the best place I could find to finish up. The Scowlenkos are the highest enemies you're going to find as a large mob. There's a very large amount of them at (G-6) and there's a nice little safe zone at (G-5). Oh yeah.. If you don't have this map, I highly recommend getting it. It's a nice thing gestation won't wear off now because you'll definitely need it getting up the mountain if you don't get spawned close. Relinquishing until you do is not a bad idea. Anyway, staying until 86 is tough. The exp really narrows once they become even match/tough, but this still allows chaining. Grind away and you'll be done!...
Wait...
We're not 90..

11. 86-90 -- Uhg.. I hate to say it, but it looks like we DO wind up having to do the Gigas method we abandoned back at 45 after all. Only this time, we're going back to the imps who are now decent challenge.. That's right, this was the BEST way I found to 90. Don't be too alarmed. They still give relatively decent exp and your kills will be quicker than ever. Don't even bother staying on the Scowlenkos, because this will be way less painful, and more importantly much quicker. The perks of this method, you'll be damn near invincible to these things and have to do very little resting, and of course, you'll be plowing through them like snow.

Hope this helps.
[+]
 Phoenix.Hazen
user: Hazen
By Phoenix.Hazen 2013-10-27 18:33:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Misareaux Coast is definitely an option in the low-mid 30's to mid 40's (and it's large-mob-accessible). The mobs are a bit wide on their level spreads and bone crunch's plague sucks but other than that I rather enjoyed leveling there.

There's the lower tier bugards, sheep, and miner bees to start with, moving up to death hornets, gigantobugards, and orcs/gigas after (the Orcish Warmachines seem to be a level or two higher than the other beastmen on average, so they can be a bit meaner), and once those are no longer viable you can move on to Makara and Bigclaws in the river. I haven't tried to do the stuff higher than that in the zone since flytraps have annoying enfeebles and rocs might have damage resistance vs. our MON melee hits. (EDIT: apparently Diatryma are only a few levels higher than Makara and flytraps are the same or slightly less so there's nothing to stick around for once Makara and Bigclaws are no good.)

How long you stick around really depends on how you feel about chaining EMs and low Ts. I tend to move on once DCs get in my way, but I know some like to avoid EMs too. This is where their wide level spreads for each specific mob can get annoying. I don't know if there were ever EMs and VTs up at the same time for the same mob, but I know that starting out one IT would be close to killing me and the next mob over could be a high-T that was perfect leveling range.

If nothing else, Misareaux is a change of scenery with nice music. Oh, and I haven't checked out Lufaise, so I dunno what it's like there.
 Shiva.Gib
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2013-11-04 10:06:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Hit 96 Gnat and XP hit a brick wall, I'm lucky to break 200 XP a kill... it's gonna be a looooooonnnnnngggggg road to 99 <_<
 Phoenix.Kinghippo
user: kinghippo
By Phoenix.Kinghippo 2013-11-08 00:58:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Large Beast:

1-9 South Gustaberg (worms, saplings, lizards, birds, Quadavs)
9-14 Konschtat Higlands (worms, lizards, sheep, Goblins)
14-24 Jugner forest (sapling, beetles, sheep, fungar, tigers, Orcs, Gobs)
24-37 Saurumugue Champaign (lizards, gobs, raptors, yags, Coeurl, Taber beak, Weapons)
37-43 Lufaise Meadows (sheep, bugards, orcs, Gigants)
43-55 West Altepa (worms, beetles, Anticans, Manticores)
55-58 Ulegeurand Range (rabbit, tigers, snoll)
58+ Bhaflau Thickets (colibri, spider)
 Bismarck.Annalise
user: Annalise
By Bismarck.Annalise 2013-11-12 12:24:53
Link | Quote | Reply

The double EXP campaign for monstrosity right now is insane… getting up to 1800 a kill on Gnat. Which makes sense of course as 900 was the highest prior. But now these levels are really flying by.

If you need to level some stuff but have been slacking on it, do so now!
 Leviathan.Tamian
Server: Leviathan
user: Jumatelo
By Leviathan.Tamian 2013-11-12 12:29:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I went from 50-62 with ram in a little over an hour (taking a few breaks)... crazy stuff.
[+]
 Shiva.Dourid
By Shiva.Dourid 2013-11-12 20:59:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Absolutely taking full advantage by getting Mandragora to 90 for Adenium. I don't know how anyone could stand doing this normally. 60 was awful enough. At least Pachypodium gets haste..
 Bismarck.Annalise
user: Annalise
By Bismarck.Annalise 2013-11-13 13:44:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Dourid said: »
Absolutely taking full advantage by getting Mandragora to 90 for Adenium. I don't know how anyone could stand doing this normally. 60 was awful enough. At least Pachypodium gets haste..

I took Mandy to 90 awhile ago before job abilities and such. I know what you mean. It was quite a grind.

It's funny because people complained about mobs like raptor… I loved raptor so much more than Mandy.
 Fenrir.Mefuki
user: Mefuki
By Fenrir.Mefuki 2013-11-13 13:53:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Gotta take advantage of this campaign, right? I'm working on getting my Chigoe from 60 to 90 while it's going on and,man, I forgot how terrible it is to level. I can't think of a more tedious monster to play as. Even looking at the entire Bestiary, it's probably going to be the hardest to level out of all present and future monsters.
 Shiva.Dourid
By Shiva.Dourid 2013-11-14 11:16:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Mefuki said: »
Gotta take advantage of this campaign, right? I'm working on getting my Chigoe from 60 to 90 while it's going on and,man, I forgot how terrible it is to level. I can't think of a more tedious monster to play as. Even looking at the entire Bestiary, it's probably going to be the hardest to level out of all present and future monsters.
Really? Chigoe was definitely tough to get to 60, but I noticed a dramatic increase in its usefulness after around 50. Stack some crit rate/damage instincts and I think chigoe would be pretty threatening. Definitely down there on the list, but top 3 worst out of every single mob so far for me would have to be:
3. Mandragora
2. Marid
1. Gnole
 Asura.Kadoyuu
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kadoyuu 2013-11-14 11:45:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Dourid said: »
Really? Chigoe was definitely tough to get to 60, but I noticed a dramatic increase in its usefulness after around 50. Stack some crit rate/damage instincts and I think chigoe would be pretty threatening. Definitely down there on the list, but top 3 worst out of every single mob so far for me would have to be:
3. Mandragora
2. Marid
1. Gnole

Gnole isn't that bad anymore! I took mine to 90.(Post Monstro update) Train a bunch of T ~ VT mobs and pop Counterstance + Cacophony and switch back to "sitting" version. Counter everything to death.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2013-11-14 19:08:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kinghippo said: »
Large Beast:

1-9 South Gustaberg (worms, saplings, lizards, birds, Quadavs)
9-14 Konschtat Higlands (worms, lizards, sheep, Goblins)
14-24 Jugner forest (sapling, beetles, sheep, fungar, tigers, Orcs, Gobs)
24-37 Saurumugue Champaign (lizards, gobs, raptors, yags, Coeurl, Taber beak, Weapons)
37-43 Lufaise Meadows (sheep, bugards, orcs, Gigants)
43-55 West Altepa (worms, beetles, Anticans, Manticores)
55-58 Ulegeurand Range (rabbit, tigers, snoll)
58+ Bhaflau Thickets (colibri, spider)

72-81 Imps

81+ Buburimu with Belligerency up (30 cap)

Seriously.
 Asura.Ackeronll
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2013-11-15 16:24:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Where can a Couerl(White box) go at Lv80ish after Imps?
 Fenrir.Minibuddha
By Fenrir.Minibuddha 2013-11-15 17:30:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ackeronll said: »

I go to the higher level mob areas of The Maze of Shikrami. Chaser bats til 84, then Crawlers and single bats til 87. Then the basement of Garliage Citadel anything but bombs and beetles til say 95?

Hope that might help a little.
 Asura.Ackeronll
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2013-11-15 18:08:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Minibuddha said: »

I go to the higher level mob areas of The Maze of Shikrami. Chaser bats til 84, then Crawlers and single bats til 87. Then the basement of Garliage Citadel anything but bombs and beetles til say 95?

Was hoping for a spot w/o attack down buffs lol oh well thanks I'm there now.

Anyone have tips on lvling this Couerl? Ive just been putting up Phalanx, Ice Spikes, Enfire II, and Haste and auto attacking everything to death.
 Fenrir.Minibuddha
By Fenrir.Minibuddha 2013-11-15 19:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone have tips on lvling this Couerl? Ive just been putting up Phalanx, Ice Spikes, Enfire II, and Haste and auto attacking everything to death.

A heads up, if you keep up Frenzied Rage, you can not get attack down. Something to think about. I just keep using it at the start of a battle, and I avoid Attack down. As for spells any Tier IV or V spells are fine. Hard to take on multiple bats.
[+]
 Phoenix.Frankbrodie
By Phoenix.Frankbrodie 2013-11-16 13:40:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I just hit 90 on my Coeurl a day or so ago. (for the Gnole > Behemoth path)

70+ everything for ages I've done -
Imps 70- till I get bored at 77-78
Seaboards > 82 or thereabouts.
Highest rabbits in Ordelles for a couple of levels (they turn EM at 84)
Ditto Ordelles move onto the sprouts which go EM at 86 for a level or 2.
Dangruf on crabs for a level or so, then finish up to 90 on the monkeys at 88 or so when they become bearable.

Small/medium only. I realise that.
But out of all of those the last off crabs are the only things that link. And only the imps aggro.
 Asura.Kadoyuu
By Asura.Kadoyuu 2013-11-16 14:23:36
Link | Quote | Reply

What worked for me when leveling Jeweled Lynx was gather up 4 ~ 5 EM - T mobs and AoE Magic them to dead and auto-attack/Eye-beam the survivors.
I put up Phalanx / Shock / Enwater II / Haste. and Occult Acumen ftw
 Phoenix.Trede
user: sdcalikid
By Phoenix.Trede 2013-11-16 14:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

83 to about 88 you can do Gusgen Mines. near the strange apparatus area are undead, worms, and flies. good way to go. and might not have much competition here either. Just thought i would share.