What To Merit On RUN?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » What to merit on RUN?
What to merit on RUN?
 Leviathan.Kaparu
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-08-01 22:38:36
Link | Quote | Reply

If we're talking about sitting in normal TP gear in a very, very brief period that we otherwise wouldn't be at the expense of a better DD, I'm still not seeing the point. This sounds like more of a, "well this works alright, too" than a productive change of strategy

I dunno, I'd still have to go back to my previous remark: if anyone can prove that RUN has some practical benefit, surewhynot. It seems very forced in this particular situation, so if you're already doing it and it's working, you may as well keep at it, but otherwise, eh

Something about run-on sentences
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-08-01 22:41:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah that's all it's being marketed as... from me, anyway. It's a reasonable swap to make that sacrifices little, and your mileage may vary on the impact that it makes on your group. The large amounts of damage that you will be reducing with the RUN may be very valuable to a group with slow WHMs or something, and even for A-class groups it can prevent the occasional near-one shots that can happen from time to time when he decides to smack you for 2k dmg.
 Bahamut.Jaggerjack
Server: Bahamut
user: voiceless
By Bahamut.Jaggerjack 2013-08-01 22:49:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Run/sam foil and batuta works nice third eye seigan so much parry go try it
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2013-08-02 16:43:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if RUN proves to be worthwhile for shark, it definitely proves fairly useless for the rest of the zone.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-08-02 16:45:16
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not drk, but it's not as bad as it seems.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-08-02 17:00:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Do keep in mind how undesirable DRK is in the grand scheme of Delve, though; then take that level of desirability, scrap some of its damage, and toss in a few mostly superfluous defensive bonuses
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-08-02 18:22:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Jinjo said: »
Even if RUN proves to be worthwhile for shark, it definitely proves fairly useless for the rest of the zone.

JPs require that the RUNs they spend 30 minutes shouting for have Requiescat merited (the only jobs JP will shout for longer are BRD and Stun SCH) and it's not like Orobon/Uragnite/Cracklaw/Jagil are exactly pleading for a DPS race.

If you're not winning with a RUN in the last DD slot, you have more issues than the slight to moderate DPS disadvantage RUN has versus other DDs. DDs in a party with a RUN in it have a very significantly lower probability of dying and outside of missed stuns, dead DDs are about the only thing that are going to cause you to lose a boss fight.

Having snuck into a JP Dakuwaqa and ending up in the RUN party, I barely took any damage the entire fight. We ate three guillotines and no one died because of the mitigated damage (Guillotine is only an insta-KO if it drops your HP below 50% which almost never happens with Valiance up). And yes, I know from experience that an untimely missed guillotine on Dakuwaqa can lead to a wipe and there's nothing to be gained by pretending that stuns will never get missed. Due to Wild card, you get two uses of One for All which means no spikes damage/magic damage at all during an aura phase which means if it decides to use Guillotine during that phase (unstunnable) no one is dying (this is undoubtedly the highest chance that someone will die on Dakuwaqa since spikes eat up HP and it cannot be stunned). We generally run with at least one Yagrush on our runs so our WHMs are less "Busy" but a non-yagrush WHM is going to be a lot more taxed in this zone so having less healing to do is a benefit meaning DDs don't have to spend 150k on Panaceas.

We've killed Dakuwaqa with a Bereaver DRK and 4 MNks, one of which was on Xbox and forgot to use food and the other which didn't have the proper accuracy setup (and died 20% in) which, combined, parsed less than either of the other two MNKs.

We can stop pretending that boss fights are a DPS race to the finish about a month ago.
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2013-08-02 18:46:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Nobody brought up boss DPS. If anything, it was the contrary.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-08-02 19:07:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kaparu said: »
If we're talking about sitting in normal TP gear in a very, very brief period that we otherwise wouldn't be at the expense of a better DD, I'm still not seeing the point. This sounds like more of a, "well this works alright, too" than a productive change of strategy

I dunno, I'd still have to go back to my previous remark: if anyone can prove that RUN has some practical benefit, surewhynot. It seems very forced in this particular situation, so if you're already doing it and it's working, you may as well keep at it, but otherwise, eh

Do keep in mind how undesirable DRK is in the grand scheme of Delve, though; then take that level of desirability, scrap some of its damage, and toss in a few mostly superfluous defensive bonuses
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-08-02 19:09:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Jinjo said: »
Nobody brought up boss DPS. If anything, it was the contrary.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-08-02 19:10:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Begun the Quote Wars have
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-08-02 19:11:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see how it's useless in the rest of the zone anyway.

Craklaw anything but MNK is useless, but 2-3 MNKs kill it in less than 2 minutes anyway. The two fish and the Uragnite get vanilla smacked to death so "usefulness" means "able to damage." For Krabakarpo, RUN has access to Requiescat, which, on our first Shark win was our only source of non-elemental damage if I might remind you, so it would obviously not be "useless" on that fight.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-08-02 19:13:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Just to reiterate, my only feeling toward incorporating the job is as follows

This sounds like more of a, "well this works alright, too" than a productive change of strategy

Outside of facetious context, I'm not one to call it useless
 Asura.Darkmacabre
Server: Asura
By Asura.Darkmacabre 2013-08-02 19:13:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Never understood why people ask this question for every job. If you know how to play the job and identify your own playstyle.. *** merit accordingly? They're not permanent.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-08-02 19:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Going from a 25-30% chance of someone dying to an unstunned Guillotine to a near 0% chance of someone dying to an unstunned Guillotine is pretty productive in my book, seeing as Guillotine is essentially the only reason you should ever wipe to Dakuwaqa if you respect the distance mechanic.
 Phoenix.Shiomi
Server: Phoenix
user: Shiomi
By Phoenix.Shiomi 2013-08-03 03:50:19
Link | Quote | Reply

How exactly does the Vallation merit work? "Add an elemental damage to Vallation and an elemental damage to valiance of 1 point per harbored rune."
 Phoenix.Thorbean
user: Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2013-08-03 12:11:21
Link | Quote | Reply

The word "resistance" is missing from the help text. (Was in the update notes known issues section). Assuming it's 1/256 per merit.
 Phoenix.Shiomi
user: Shiomi
By Phoenix.Shiomi 2013-08-03 22:48:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh so it's not "Add an elemental damage to Vallation" its "Add an elemental resistance to Vallation"?
 Phoenix.Thorbean
user: Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2013-08-03 23:53:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, meant reduction, not resistance. "Add an elemental damage reduction".

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/35228-July-9-2013-%28JST%29-Version-Update
At the bottom.

Assuming it'll be corrected on Monday.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-08-04 00:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

The merits add +5% MDT per rune to the respective element on Vallation and +5MDB per rune to the respective element on Valiance @ 5/5.
[+]
By Afania 2013-08-04 01:11:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably not a "prove" you want, because this really depend on player and your group.

But the pt I go with always use 2 RUN 4 MNK in shark runs, and often kill 1~5 NM + shark with almost 10 min left with 100% win rate. Most of the time with very little death, there were many 0 death runs, at least not death on DD/frontline jobs. (If death happened, it's often because Afania got mayhemed!)

Once they couldn't get enough RUN so they replaced RUN spot with DRG, I noticed a lot more death during the run. But that may be because it was getting late and everyone was too sleepy to focus and d/c.

I also noticed faster kill speed and output with DRG than RUN, since we still make it to boss within usual time frame with weakened DDs.

After that run they went back to RUN setup again, apparently they don't like using another DD job. I'm pretty sure other DD job works, but RUN setup has been working since pt gets 1~5 NM+shark clear, and it worked very well, even just to save ppl's EXP lose, so why bother to change when you can kill shark 100% with almost 10 min left and 0 death on DDs? Considering 5NM+boss runs has little room for error, or else you'd time out. It's not wrong to use safest setup and minimize room for human error.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-08-04 01:52:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Does /RUN get -30% MDT for that elemental type of damage? Would seem to be a good trade off for the "MNK/RUN" setup.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-08-04 02:00:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, you get -15% per Rune. I'm always reminding my DDs to use Vallation on Dakuwaqa.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-08-04 02:41:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I took my RUN to Yumcax tonight and noticed that anytime it had an Aura up and I used Gambit with three wind runes, the Aura would be down shortly after (within 20 seconds). The one time it put an Aura up and Gambit got paralyzed, The aura lasted for quite a bit longer (~2 minutes).

That's obviously not a large sample size, but it's worth looking into.

(JP wiki description of Gambit is damage +10% for corresponding elemental damage per expended rune, so 3 runes += 30%)

RUN is pretty fun on WK reives, but it's bad for Bayld.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-08-04 02:48:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
But the pt I go with always use 2 RUN 4 MNK in shark runs, and often kill 1~5 NM + shark with almost 10 min left with 100% win rate. Most of the time with very little death, there were many 0 death runs, at least not death on DD/frontline jobs. (If death happened, it's often because Afania got mayhemed!)

Once they couldn't get enough RUN so they replaced RUN spot with DRG, I noticed a lot more death during the run. But that may be because it was getting late and everyone was too sleepy to focus and d/c.

I also noticed faster kill speed and output with DRG than RUN, since we still make it to boss within usual time frame with weakened DDs.

My suggestion would be to try 3 MNK and 1 DRG (that is, replace a MNK instead of a RUN), the increased killspeed you were seeing is mostly due to Angon as the DPS difference between DRG snd RUN is not astronomical. It won't (or might not) work if your MNKs are low quality, though.

That aside, if your setup is working for you already perhaps I should repeat my own linkshell's motto which we fail to follow quite frequently, "Stop fixing things that aren't broken!"
 Valefor.Sapphire
By Valefor.Sapphire 2013-08-04 06:48:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
RUN is pretty fun on WK reives, but it's bad for Bayld.

Which sub are you using when you do this and are you sticking to attacking the boss only or helping kill fodder sometimes?

I find subbing mage like /rdm and shockwave spam its possible to get consistently good evals (600+ bayld) on hurkan since the fodder clusters up easily so youll hit 4+ per ws at a time, and have a cure spell/convert for self cure/sustained mp to spam foil/etc.

I've considered going with a dd sub to a wkr but when you do it with JPs they kill them in like 1hr so i've kinda just stuck with a mage sub.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-08-04 07:00:03
Link | Quote | Reply

You can easily tank Hurkan itself if you have support and don't lag.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-08-04 07:08:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't really care about evals (5k is enough to get an item, I got 11k for cotanking Yumcax for a 50 minute fight at 30% colo) but my bayld gain was much slower than the mages curing me or the melees fighting adds.

I had infinitely more fun co-tanking the Tree, however and Bayld for a WK Reive takes a maximum of 20 minutes to come up with so screw that.

Part of the reason you get a bad evaluation is because you can't really cure yourself for an appreciable time period and you take very little damage due to Valiance/Vallation - and for a low colonization rate boss your damage is suppressed.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-08-04 07:11:51
Link | Quote | Reply

As a side note, I'm 100% convinced the damage you take from Static Prison and Uproot is based on your relative position to the boss, much like Marine Mayhem.
 Valefor.Sapphire
By Valefor.Sapphire 2013-08-04 08:25:26
Link | Quote | Reply

what subjob are you using for yumcax with full support?
I've been co-tanking other stuff on RUN with a paladin but haven't tried yumcax tanking yet.