New BLU player question, =P
First Page 2
 Valefor.Dankx
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Knispo
By Valefor.Dankx 2013-06-25 20:05:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm returning from about a 10 month break and would like to make BLU my new main job. Im going to solo to lvl 30 then, leach in aby with a buddy of mine to 99. I know. I know. I want it 99 ASAP. Should i do that, then worry about getting the lvl 30-99 spells? Or should i take breaks every 20 or so levels and get my spells caught up? If you have a better idea let me know. Main thing tho, what are the MUST have spells for endgame now, seekers, salvage, limbus, dyna solo, ect. Or should i just get them ALL? Like i said I plain to main this for a WHILE!
 Quetzalcoatl.Lucieus
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Falsetto
By Quetzalcoatl.Lucieus 2013-06-25 20:10:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Leech to 99, get your magus bazubands, and then get all your spells from 30-99 since it becomes much easier to solo at max level.
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
Server: Leviathan
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2013-06-25 20:17:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Make sure you skill up as much as you can your Blue magic. With af1 hands and Capped skill you would have a much easier time getting spells. Gear with any + blue magic gear you can also
 Valefor.Dankx
By Valefor.Dankx 2013-06-25 20:21:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the input. So ALL spells ?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-06-25 20:24:17
Link | Quote | Reply

ALL spells is kinda the name of the game, and because of the nature of BLU's job traits system, you actually have a niche use for the vast majority of them.

Get them all, its one of the things that makes a player a BLU, trials and tribulations, etc.
[+]
 Valefor.Dankx
By Valefor.Dankx 2013-06-25 20:25:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks guys! I like a challenge anyway, that's why i picked BLU for new main. Much Appreciated!
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-06-25 20:27:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Dankx said: »
Thanks guys! I like a challenge anyway, that's why i picked BLU for new main. Much Appreciated!

Its a ton of work but when it all comes together its worth it.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Gimp 2013-06-25 20:49:54
Link | Quote | Reply

About the spells it's a bit hard to answer.

Depends on what you'll use blu since it can be used in most events.

Off the top of my head spells you'll want to have

Spells that make your important traits such as DWIII, Triple Attack, Auto Refresh, Treasure Hunter, Fast Cast, Conserve MP

off the top of my head and now looking at the spell list

Magic Fruit
Winds of Promyvion
Cocoon
MP Drainkiss
Benthic Typhoon
Heavy Strike
Vanity Dive
Quadratic Continuum
Quadrastrike
Goblin Rush
Regurgitation
Charged Whisker
Fantod
Animating Wail
Battery Charge
Yawn
Dream Flower
Triumphant Roar
Disseverment
Head Butt
Sudden Lunge
Osmosis
Mind Blast
Amorphic Spikes
Whirl Of Rage
Cimicine Discharge
Filamented Hold
Temporal Shift
Cannonball
Warm-Up
Infrasonics
Frightful Roar
Magic Barrier
Occultation
Delta Thrust
Saline Coat
Thermal Pulse
Water Bomb

UL

Bloodrake
Bilgestorm
Tourbillion
Harden Shell

The above should cover every situation you can think of most likely I could be missing one or two but those spells you should get first I put some kosher DD spells such as Goblin Rush that can hold you until you finally get some of the stronger ones like Amorphic/Quadratic as a sort of breather so to speak.

Don't forget to get your Magus Jubbah(+1) with your Bazubands also when you attempt these

Edit: I forgot proc spells because I am rather good at ducking out at that sort of thing but you'll want to look into them if you plan to do a lengthy amount of voidwatch on blu, the proc spells for abbsyea is a small list which you'll need to proc mobs for your emp+2 gear...

Post deleted by User.
By Gimp 2013-06-25 20:55:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't consider PVP in the spell list, that's another bucket of bolts that's limited only by your creativity but yes Absolute Terror is nice.
 Valefor.Dankx
By Valefor.Dankx 2013-06-25 20:58:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the list Gimp!!
 Quetzalcoatl.Gencay
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gencay
By Quetzalcoatl.Gencay 2013-06-25 21:02:16
Link | Quote | Reply

with way Delve is atm your gonna kinda have a hard time finding a party willing to take a blu for the mega bosses probably only down side ><
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-06-25 21:17:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Gencay said: »
with way Delve is atm your gonna kinda have a hard time finding a party willing to take a blu for the mega bosses probably only down side ><

There's a lot of content besides delve, its just the flavor of the month. It is however the source for some of the best gear available to BLU.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Azryel
Server: Ragnarok
user: Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2013-06-25 22:07:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I was a long time blu, and I've since porter moogled and muled it because it's just not really good for anything these days... It's a fun job to goof around with on low end content, and by all means level what you want to level, but just some fair warning: if you want to take part in current events, you may want to focus on another job first.
 Asura.Ivykyori
Server: Asura
user: ivykyori
By Asura.Ivykyori 2013-06-25 22:27:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually went the slow but steady route when I leveled BLU. I did this for a couple of reasons:

-I overwhelm easily. Had I burned it all the way up to 99 from 30, that's 150+ spells AND blu magic skill to cap. I looked at it that way and actually was like "yeah, not doing that"

-After burning a couple of jobs to 99 (and then ultimately saying "why the hell did I level this job to 99 if I'm not gonna use it much"--only exception to the rule is SCH; I actually enjoyed playing that at one point), I wanted to experience a slower pace. Not one that would be so slow that it'd drive me up a wall, but what I did was take a break every 10-15 levels, catch up on skill and spell.

There are downsides to going this route, like having trouble with soloing certain spells (if I found that I couldn't solo a certain spell, I'd gain the 10-15 levels then come back to it), and if you REALLY want 99, well, it ain't gonna be a fast process. But I actually enjoyed playing BLU going this route. Whatever you do though, have fun doing it. :)

Now, Tourbillion...I have heard horror stories about that. What is the deal with it? Is it like unlearnable or sommat?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2013-06-26 10:00:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ivykyori said: »
Now, Tourbillion...I have heard horror stories about that. What is the deal with it? Is it like unlearnable or sommat?

Tourbillion is only used by Aht Urhgan Chimeras- it's not so much an issue of it being difficult to learn as it is an issue of it being difficult(ish) to even come across the mobs that use it... I've seen it used in Legion as well, but I don't know if you can learn it that way or why you would bring a blu to that event.

Unbridled Learning as a whole I've found to be extremely underwhelming...
 Asura.Ivykyori
user: ivykyori
By Asura.Ivykyori 2013-06-26 10:03:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Azryel said: »

Tourbillion is only used by Aht Urhgan Chimeras- it's not so much an issue of it being difficult to learn as it is an issue of it being difficult(ish) to even come across the mobs that use it... I've seen it used in Legion as well, but I don't know if you can learn it that way or why you would bring a blu to that event.

Unbridled Learning as a whole I found to be extremely underwhelming...

Ah gotcha...aren't there khimaras in Nyzul? Coulda sworn I ran into one before. And I heard that blu's aren't a no-no in Nyzul.

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2013-06-26 10:09:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I've heard you can learn it in there, but don't quote me... You'd have to do boss floors and hope you get a chimera, and then hope it uses it, and then hope you learn it if it does... It just seems like a lot of variables lol

Blu owned old Nyzul, and even NNI was pretty solid blu/war with Almace before the embrava gimp... I cleared NNI several times pre gimp on blu.
 Asura.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2013-06-26 10:25:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah gotcha...aren't there khimaras in Nyzul? Coulda sworn I ran into one before. And I heard that blu's aren't a no-no in Nyzul.

There are as bosses in Nyzul, and they show up as wandering NMs in NNI.

The more reliable thing would be Arrapago Remnants II, which I think is where I learned it (that or a random one in NNI).

Quote:
And I heard that blu's aren't a no-no in Nyzul.

Just the opposite. BLU is an outstanding job for Nyzul.
 Carbuncle.Peimei
Server: Carbuncle
user: Peimei
By Carbuncle.Peimei 2013-06-26 10:49:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I did most of my leveling pre-mid sixties just by hunting spells. It's slow but I enjoyed the process, mostly.
Blue mage Huntinggrouds is an excellent source.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-06-26 11:03:24
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU is arguably the wild card in NNI, being able to destroy physical resistant mobs and BLU's DD prowess is basically at its peak on nyzul fodder.

Diffusion Animating Wail on embrava floors saves the SCH's several casts, stunlocking NM's is priceless.
[+]
 Asura.Gregalen
user: Gregalen
By Asura.Gregalen 2013-07-01 14:15:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally, get all the spells. Even when you're lv 99, the thing is, higher blu magic skill = the easier it is to get spells. I know for a fact that some of the spells you can't even get until your blu skill is past a certain point.

Also landing blu physical spells is a direct correlation of your sword skill as well. So get your sword skill up.

Personally, I understand the want to leech to 99, but at the same time, you're suffering in the end because of your blue skill.
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2013-07-01 15:01:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Gregalen said: »
Personally, get all the spells. Even when you're lv 99, the thing is, higher blu magic skill = the easier it is to get spells. I know for a fact that some of the spells you can't even get until your blu skill is past a certain point.

Also landing blu physical spells is a direct correlation of your sword skill as well. So get your sword skill up.

Personally, I understand the want to leech to 99, but at the same time, you're suffering in the end because of your blue skill.
This, now whose *** is that in OP's avatar
 Asura.Yunamae
By Asura.Yunamae 2013-07-01 15:18:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I love blu most and solo most 0-99 as i wasnt gonna go route burn then spend forevrrrrrrrrr getting spells and capping stats, but each to there own lol. I loved solo virtually all the spells and at the moment i only have 1 normal spell and a few Unbridled to go.... yeh the hard ones lol

My advice as i am forever changing spells about depending on what im doing is get as many as you can, i would recommened if u really do want burn to 99 asap at least stop on way to cap or get blue magic up as even with mobs being alot lower having high magic and the af hands will help alot to learn the spells and some high ones need minimum blu magic level...

I could list sum must have spells but to be honest your better getting them all as you need majority if not to use but to set for specfic job traits.

Sooo many spells thankgod u dont have to pay for em except maybe in blood lol..

Good luck and enjoy.
 Bahamut.Samunai
Server: Bahamut
user: Samunai
By Bahamut.Samunai 2013-07-01 15:37:04
Link | Quote | Reply

be sure to equip int/mind in slots with no skill+ gear when trying to learn blue magic. raises the chance to learn stuff ^^b
 Lakshmi.Madotsuki
Server: Lakshmi
user: Madotsuki
By Lakshmi.Madotsuki 2013-07-01 16:18:35
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU is also still amazing for Salvage II, from my own personal experience. I have successfully duo'd most of the Remnant II zones with myself on BLU and my best friend on either THF or MNK (and our alts being BRD + SCH).

It still remains my most passionate and favorite job alongside PLD, despite its "lack of use" for current endgame. I don't get to participate much in the Delve endgame anyway.
[+]
By Gimp 2013-07-02 09:34:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Samunai said: »
be sure to equip int/mind in slots with no skill+ gear when trying to learn blue magic. raises the chance to learn stuff ^^b

It doesn't afaik, it's hard to say many concrete things about learning blue magic because of how random it can be to learn thus making it hard to gauge cause and effect like int/mnd helping.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-07-02 09:56:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm hoping they were joking but yeah back in the day there were lots of rumors about things that could increase learning rates. Chr, Azure lore and such. Best not to spread such unless you actually make it apparent that it's a joke.
First Page 2