New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » NMs » Kurma Strategies?
Kurma Strategies?
First Page 2
By Yandaime 2013-05-29 23:55:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello, I'm new to Adoulin only just installed it this past weekend cuz of lack of time to dig into the new stuff, yadda yadda.

I very much want to kill Kurma but this thing is annoying with the HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE 20 minute time limit.

The Strat I see/Hear about most often is to..

1 DD/Tank
2 SAMs Skillchaining with eachother
1 BRD
1 SCH/SMN Giving En-Thunder/Rolling Thunder
1 WHM

1 COR/BRD Refresh Rolls/Songs
1 COR Giving MAB Rolls
4 BLM

1 COR/BRD Refresh Rolls/Songs
1 COR Giving MAB Rolls
4 BLM

This settup (or pretty close to this) Was working great at the start but it has some problems...

Hate Control:
DDs/Tank cant do enough damage to keep hate off the BLMs that are dropping 8-16k Magic Bursts. Douse has a long recast and so does Reive reset so hate control is a pretty big problem towards the end

Mana Control:
The BLMs (as far as I could see) would run out of MP every 25% of Kurma's HP roughly causing us to have to slow down and rest. Which wouldn't be a big deal if it weren't for the damn time limit. So I would love to hear some ideas to either get MP back to the BLMs faster or manage it better.
My idea is to save the big spells for longer enspell-charges (Don't throw a Thundaja out on the very first SC or right after a Tortoise Song, its a waste of MP)

Using this "Oldschool Aspid" settup the shout groups I was in would get down to 30%ish before we'd get timed out and we'd always drop the thing down to 50% in the first 4 minutes before the problems started taking their toll.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One Idea I had for Kurma was to have maybe a Zerg Style fight with mostly MNKs on Formless Strikes abusing this NM's added Magic Damage Taken effects.

1 BRD March x2 (Rotate)
1 SHM Enspells
1 WHM
3 MNKs

1 BRD March x2 (Rotate)
1 SCH Enspells
1 WHM
3 MNKs

1 BRD March x2 (Rotate)
1 SCH Enspells
1 WHM
3 MNKs

This settup would be a zerg attempt built around completely dominating Kurma's Magic Damage Taken weakness via Enspells and Formless Strikes and I figure with Formless Strikes and Enspells both on, the damage from each hit on MNK would simply fly up. I have no idea how well this would work so I wanted to ask you guys what you thought about it.

Any input is appreciated,

Thank you for your time
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-05-30 00:41:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I've found the peiste to be much easier, I'm assuming you're after the key item..?

DDx3 BRD COR WHM
DDx3 BRD COR WHM
WHM RDM SCH/BLM

Rotate with soul voice, stand in front of it, RDM keep blind/dia3 on, and stun calcifying mist. It melts, even with pickup quality DD. Just make sure your stunner can catch mist, you can use the extra slots on whatever. Maybe the better DD's whm mules or whms to watch them. GEO is good.
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2013-05-30 00:55:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ochain PLD/DRK BRD [COR/BRD] SAM SAM WHM (Double March)
BLM BLM BLM BLM BRD [SMN/COR/SCH/GEO]
BLM BLM BLM BLM BRD [SMN/COR/SCH/GEO]

No rotation needed, and obviously, if you have a 4 song bard, a second buffer in tank party isn't needed. Put an rdm there.

As the pld, I liked to open with stun, flash, 300 tp spirits within just to start cementing hate.

Defense food not needed, I used sushi and a moderate dt kit.. The sams kept lighting so, to make sure i'd never throw off a skillchain, I just did spirits within spam.

The blms will eventually cap hate and pull away from the paladin and the sams. At that time, they should douse.

Bard rotation hurts a bit because of tortoise song.
 Remora.Brain
Server: Remora
user: Arucaurd
By Remora.Brain 2013-05-30 01:02:07
Link | Quote | Reply

We went with MNKs getting enspells to boost DT, and any pld can tank it really. Hell MNKs with decent DT builds can do just fine.

We timed out because BLMs these days don't know what a SC+MB is. We had almost no MBs go off. If you go with pickup mages make them go outside and do an MB for you before you take them along.

If you do manage to get a few good BLMs that can time an MB right, you'll mop the floor with this nm.
By Yandaime 2013-05-30 01:25:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
I've found the peiste to be much easier, I'm assuming you're after the key item..?

DDx3 BRD COR WHM
DDx3 BRD COR WHM
WHM RDM SCH/BLM

Rotate with soul voice, stand in front of it, RDM keep blind/dia3 on, and stun calcifying mist. It melts, even with pickup quality DD. Just make sure your stunner can catch mist, you can use the extra slots on whatever. Maybe the better DD's whm mules or whms to watch them.

Yea, mostly want the Key Item so I can get that Greataxe. A straight drop from Kurma would be lovely but I probably wont win lot anyway lol. This is good to know tho because I often hear people say the Peiste is harder (Im guessing they had Pre-Time Limit nightmares?)

Thank you for your posts guys. You wouldn't believe how little information on strats are posted on the wikis and other forums. Like what to do, how to operate around said NM, yadda yadda
 Bismarck.Xzeikx
Server: Bismarck
user: xzeikx
By Bismarck.Xzeikx 2013-06-03 15:13:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Yandaime said: »

DDx3 BRD COR WHM
DDx3 BRD COR WHM
WHM RDM SCH/BLM

Rotate with soul voice, stand in front of it, RDM keep blind/dia3 on, and stun calcifying mist. It melts, even with pickup quality DD. Just make sure your stunner can catch mist, you can use the extra slots on whatever. Maybe the better DD's whm mules or whms to watch them.

Yea, mostly want the Key Item so I can get that Greataxe. A straight drop from Kurma would be lovely but I probably wont win lot anyway lol. This is good to know tho because I often hear people say the Peiste is harder (Im guessing they had Pre-Time Limit nightmares?)

Thank you for your posts guys. You wouldn't believe how little information on strats are posted on the wikis and other forums. Like what to do, how to operate around said NM, yadda yadda
I got all my KI before the time limit and ill never do the Foret T5 or Mori T4 again lol. Ive beaten Kurma with the time limit on alt though

THF and SAM SCing but we got super lucky and he had like 6 hardens in a row and refused to reset it. put parties in a triangle type stuff so when he does that tremor under 50% all 12 or so blms dont die. Its mostly luck and all our blms had the thunder magian staff
 Siren.Novadragon
Server: Siren
By Siren.Novadragon 2013-06-03 15:19:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Xzeikx said: »
Yandaime said: »

DDx3 BRD COR WHM
DDx3 BRD COR WHM
WHM RDM SCH/BLM

I got all my KI before the time limit and il never do the Foret T5 or Mori T4 again lol. Ive beaten Kurma with the time limit of alt though

THF and SAM SCing but we got super lucky and he had like 6 hardens in a row and refused to reset it. put parties in a triangle

Type stuff so when he does that tremor under 50% all 12 or so blms dont die. Its mostly luck and all our blms had the thunder magian staff

The way SE designed this system. You have to be really lucky to even get a group for T4-T5s for a win. On my server, all the good players have got win. I got Tax'et win for the weapons so just staying with that till SE admits it.
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2013-06-03 15:38:56
Link | Quote | Reply

There's several strategies listed here for Kurma.

The orobon is easy. You need two blu/blm with capped blue magic and Absolute Terror.

Group should camp on the waypoint on the same island.

Blus should hp at adoulin mog house. Do ESeal, Unbridled Learning, Absolute Terror. Warp, change jobs, change jobs back, waypoint out.

If they do this on a cycle it will be terror'd most of the fight. They'll prob wanna stick around last 10% so they get the kill credit, so you can be ready to just zerg that.

You also want warriors to open with mighty strikes to crit and break the lantern.

The best part about Adoulin is that there's always reives to reset 2hr's.

Another strat for orobon is just to crazy zerg it but you need all strong DD.
 Bismarck.Xzeikx
user: xzeikx
By Bismarck.Xzeikx 2013-06-03 15:45:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »
There's several strategies listed here for Kurma.

The orobon is easy. You need two blu/blm with capped blue magic and Absolute Terror.

Group should camp on the waypoint on the same island.

Blus should hp at adoulin mog house. Do ESeal, Unbridled Learning, Absolute Terror. Warp, change jobs, change jobs back, waypoint out.

If they do this on a cycle it will be terror'd most of the fight. They'll prob wanna stick around last 10% so they get the kill credit, so you can be ready to just zerg that.

You also want warriors to open with mighty strikes to crit and break the lantern.

The best part about Adoulin is that there's always reives to reset 2hr's.

Another strat for orobon is just to crazy zerg it but you need all strong DD.
Aye i killed Orobon in 8 mins with a shout group. Its just the caliber of players you end up with mostly. It doesnt hurt to be picky. Its your time so use it efficiently
 Asura.Ivykyori
Server: Asura
user: ivykyori
By Asura.Ivykyori 2013-06-03 16:33:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Novadragon said: »

The way SE designed this system. You have to be really lucky to even get a group for T4-T5s for a win. On my server, all the good players have got win. I got Tax'et win for the weapons so just staying with that till SE admits it.

This. I am still 1/6 on KI's because of the lack of T4-5 shouts. I went to one last night to beat Kurma; I can't remember the set up, but it was something like a THF, DRK and SAM for DD and everything else were mages (give or take two BRD's). The strat was to Embrava rotate (3 SCH's in party), thunderstorm the mages, and that was pretty much it The lead said it worked before and it seems like a setup with all them BLM's would've...if the DD's knew what a SC was.

Needless to say, we basically gave up--not let the time run out, but just flat out gave up when Kurma hit 87%. So naturally I'm salty.
 Bismarck.Ihina
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2013-06-03 17:03:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Well the point of this delve is, you're not supposed to be able to beat it with the usual pickup group. You need people who are experienced and are adequately well geared. You can't bring along a group of people who think they 'have' the job just because it's level 99.
 Siren.Novadragon
Server: Siren
By Siren.Novadragon 2013-06-03 17:08:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Well the point of this delve is, you're not supposed to be able to beat it with the usual pickup group. You need people who are experienced and are adequately well geared. You can't bring along a group of people who think they 'have' the job just because it's level 99.

And that's what is broken. Never works out for this game.
 Bismarck.Ihina
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2013-06-03 17:14:10
Link | Quote | Reply

It'll work soon as people stop clinging to the idea that you can run around in base gear.

It has already worked for many people who have been craving a challenge for many years.
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2013-06-03 17:40:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't consider a lot of these challenging. Just find the gimmick, exploit it, share it, and everyone wins.

My Kurma strat, after the 20 minute update, didn't even properly exploit his gimmick and it still worked fantastic. In the dozen times I've killed Kurma, he killed me once (we didn't win that time lol). The BLMs were alright-geared but most were in chatoyant and empy +2.

Same with the moth. Hardest thing about most of these now is finding a mage that can land debuffs.

And the "many people" "craving a challenge" did the 6 hour versions. I'm sure they didn't think it was all that challenging.
 Asura.Ivykyori
By Asura.Ivykyori 2013-06-03 17:57:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't mind a challenge, but I've done Morimar t4/5 at least 3 times already with pickup groups because my LS just isn't strong enough for Adoulin stuff yet. And each time we've either given up or ran out of time and no one wanted to try again. It's frustrating for those who just want the win out of the way so we can get on with the plasm farming, but alas, those who have done it before won't do it again (don't blame em, I know that if I got the win I wouldn't want to touch em again either).

So we're stuck with PUGs till we get the win, and who knows? By then they'll come out with something even stronger than delve weapons -.-
 Asura.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2013-06-03 18:08:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Did the iteration of the group you went with use Enthunder? I went with I guess the first (I assume it was the same group) as RDM/SCH and kept that up as I'd read it helps.

I did Kurma in a straight manaburn as well and timed out at 19%. SC/MB would be preferable, but it might be doable without that.
 Asura.Ivykyori
By Asura.Ivykyori 2013-06-03 18:21:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Isiolia said: »
Did the iteration of the group you went with use Enthunder? I went with I guess the first (I assume it was the same group) as RDM/SCH and kept that up as I'd read it helps.

I did Kurma in a straight manaburn as well and timed out at 19%. SC/MB would be preferable, but it might be doable without that.

Nope, no Enthunder. In fact, there was a RDM in party, but I didn't see Enthunder go off once. I originally came SCH/RDM until the lead said that SCH's were also on stun duty (on top of embrava rotation/thunderstorm). But it was basically supposed to be a SC/MB fight, but the DD's were completely out of sync with...well...everyone.

Now had I remembered the enthunder thing (pretty sure I would've had I stayed /RDM), I would suggest it--the better Kurma fight I did utilized Enthunder very well.
[+]
By quilly 2013-06-20 00:35:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't an army of mnks take it down really well?
Heard today it could be beaten with 2 sam and 7-8 mnk with whm/sch cor and brds
 Sylph.Decimus
Server: Sylph
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2013-06-20 00:48:36
Link | Quote | Reply

We just use mnks. Even before we used Oatixur it went down with 5 mnks and 1 drg in 10 minutes. No enspells necessary. Sch/blm to stun Testudo below 50% can be nice. Brds and sch can dispel harden shell.
 Cerberus.Reiden
Server: Cerberus
user: Reiden
By Cerberus.Reiden 2013-06-20 01:08:44
Link | Quote | Reply

mnk,mnk,mnk,mnk,brd,whm
sam,sam,mnk,mnk,brd,whm
blm,sch,sch,sch,brd,thf

Brd swap the 2 dd pt brds for SV marchx2,madrigal,minuet.
Mnks 2-hr.
Keep songs up when dispelled.
Embrava x3.
Sams Konzen-ittai > WS for sc, schs can MB.
 Asura.Ivykyori
By Asura.Ivykyori 2013-06-20 01:11:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I finally beat this oversized turtle. I can't remember the exact parties, but it was melee heavy, utilized Angon, Enthunder, and at 50%, I became an embrava ***.

The biggest worry of that fight, which otherwise went so smooth that baby butts were jealous, was Testudo--there was no stun, so the DD's ate a couple of them. When he pulled that ***, I went into classic Ivy panic mode. My husband (who was the drg in that fight--pulled him out of his nap for him to help *shifty eyes*) tried to calm me down as I frantically got HP's out of yellow while yelling "YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DIE!"

Maybe 2 deaths for the whole run (we did worse during the reives, don't ask), and I never have to touch the a-hole again. WORTH IT.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-06-20 01:31:19
Link | Quote | Reply

dd dd drg brd cor whm
dd dd dd brd cor whm
sch/blm sch/blm geo geo rdm brd

dd pt brds rotate whenever all songs up on their immediate party, do best songs in first party and the lesser ones in second, troub dark threnody if your rdm doesn't have amazing gear-don't waste it on songs that'll be dispelled

cors reroll whenever dispelled

geo def- eva- m.eva- m.acc+
mage pt brd march schs, free stun(or only bring 1 sch and just stun testudo tremor, it doesn't really matter, free stunning just lowers probability of tortoise songs.. it's too fast to stun on readies)

rdm keep harden shell dispelled - this actually needs m.acc, despite dispels m.acc boost, you can rotate a cor to warlock's roll if you need in addition to the geo buff/debuff and possible threnody(you shouldn't need a cor unless your rdm is extremely poorly geared though)

3-10 min depending on dd and brds
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-06-20 02:18:13
Link | Quote | Reply

also depends slightly on AI roulette, how often it uses song etc.

as a side note, tomahawk overwrites and temporarily blocks harden shell for whatever bizarre debuff slot it takes.
 Bismarck.Aselin
user: Aselin
By Bismarck.Aselin 2013-06-20 03:00:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Reiden said: »
mnk,mnk,mnk,mnk,brd,whm
sam,sam,mnk,mnk,brd,whm
blm,sch,sch,sch,brd,thf

Brd swap the 2 dd pt brds for SV marchx2,madrigal,minuet.
Mnks 2-hr.
Keep songs up when dispelled.
Embrava x3.
Sams Konzen-ittai > WS for sc, schs can MB.
I've had a very similar setup to this and it worked very well. The alliance was mainly just a pick-up group (PUG). We had 3 pops and won all 3 with no wipes.
A previous attempt I had before it tried more traditional setups and we either a) wiped or b) ran out of time. It seems the more non-traditional setup above worked better.
By quilly 2013-06-20 11:49:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
also depends slightly on AI roulette, how often it uses song etc.

as a side note, tomahawk overwrites and temporarily blocks harden shell for whatever bizarre debuff slot it takes.

So say .. for example, I have a real good buddy who is a WAR and that is by far his main, he could just focus on Tomahawk?

What about Metatron Torment? Does that work well enough? Just a thought that a WAR could spam the WS, while a THF does Feint and a DRG does Angon... but if Tomahawk is better, then surely the DRG is useless?
By itchi508 2013-06-20 11:54:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Mnk mnk & more mnks easy win. Can bring feint, tomahawk & angon with a cycle for easier win.
[+]
By quilly 2013-06-20 12:00:42
Link | Quote | Reply

itchi508 said: »
Mnk mnk & more mnks easy win. Can bring feint, tomahawk & angon with a cycle for easier win.

Yea this is a problem me and buddy have, we don't have MNKs or any other job that would fit in well, so we would have to set up a run with us as WAR and THF.

My buddy has enough plasm to buy Bloodbath Axe, but without this win, he can't get one, so he's really lagging behind. He does have Ukon and Brav though.

I was thinking the following...

MNK MNK MNK BRD COR WHM
MNK MNK MNK(or SAM) BRD COR WHM
WAR THF DRG BRD COR SCH

We did Kurma last night with a badly thrown together party and got it down to 35% before Tetsudo ripped into us.
By itchi508 2013-06-20 12:07:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Iv been in a run with 1-2 monks N rest where random DDs and we timed out at 3% so it can be done w/o monk spam. Mostly depends on what /ja he chooses to favor at the time and how often. Also was a pug, a organized group or Ls would have no issue

Monk party can take em down in 9-13 mins
Also blm party works, kiteing around pond.
By quilly 2013-06-20 12:10:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea we joined this JP party just after we failed ours, and they wasn't doing so well either. They tried three times and didnt even get it past 40%. They were using a MNK and a DRK, skillchaining, then having their BLM and SCH nuke it for MB. It was really slow, but pretty safe. They did really well considering they only had 10 in their party.

We just sat back and watched three Kurmas disappear. Then it was bed time and we were sad :(

Might just try setting this up tonight.
 Leviathan.Egonn
user: Egonn
By Leviathan.Egonn 2013-06-20 12:31:21
Link | Quote | Reply

dd dd drg brd cor whm
dd dd dd brd cor whm
sch/blm sch/blm geo geo rdm brd

dd pt brds rotate whenever all songs up on their immediate party, do best songs in first party and the lesser ones in second, troub dark threnody if your rdm doesn't have amazing gear-don't waste it on songs that'll be dispelled

cors reroll whenever dispelled

geo def- eva- m.eva- m.acc+
mage pt brd march schs, free stun(or only bring 1 sch and just stun testudo tremor, it doesn't really matter, free stunning just lowers probability of tortoise songs.. it's too fast to stun on readies)

rdm keep harden shell dispelled - this actually needs m.acc, despite dispels m.acc boost, you can rotate a cor to warlock's roll if you need in addition to the geo buff/debuff and possible threnody(you shouldn't need a cor unless your rdm is extremely poorly geared though)

3-10 min depending on dd and brds

Bring rigor mnks so it doesn't TP so much. Also use more sch's and embrava so you don't have to worry about being dispelled.

Also, bro I'm curious as to what your GEO's are casting, for my own sake, that you use two of them?
First Page 2