First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2013-11-15 17:22:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Dumb question, but does Magic Damage as from Dosis Tathlum affect magical weaponskills like Sanguine Blade?
It should, I used MDB stuff on Corsair for Leaden Salute.

Well, For QD, but it was good for both.
 Quetzalcoatl.Gencay
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Gencay
By Quetzalcoatl.Gencay 2013-11-15 17:46:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Dumb question, but does Magic Damage as from Dosis Tathlum affect magical weaponskills like Sanguine Blade?

It should sense its considered magical damage.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-11-15 18:27:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Magic damage works on:

Blue magic nukes
Magic weaponskills
Skillchains

Magic damage does not work on:

Breaths
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-11-15 18:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply

breaths seem to get the short end of every stick.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-11-15 18:37:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Originally they were nice due to bypassing a lot of magical defenses, however that value has diminished severely with the addition of things that flat out resist 90% of a breath's damage and ***.
[+]
By Ophannus 2013-11-15 18:51:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Breaths would have been an excellent niche for BLU since we had several breath enhancing pieces, you'd think SE was hinting that it would be BLU's role. Breaths would have been consistant but moderate damage that BLUs could make builds for, too bad all NMs post TOAU were given like 50-95% breath reduction defenses. This impacts not only BLU but also DRG as SE has stated DRG were given lower attack capabilities since the Wyvern's breath is supposed to add 200-400 damage on each WS--which is true on fodder but not NMs.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2013-11-15 18:57:26
Link | Quote | Reply

So does Magic Damage+ add to, say, the base damage of the weapon used? I'm guessing so as I can't see 13 extra damage at the end of the equation being as good as 3 Magic Attack Bonus unless it was a really weak attack to start with.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-11-15 19:00:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, it's added onto the base damage before multipliers. It makes up for low D caps and poor wsc in lower level spells and such; for sb, I'm not sure if the 13d outweighs 3mab, but with the amount of mab we have access to now I wouldn't be surprised. Plus I'm sure he's done the math for it.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2013-11-15 19:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ophannus said: »
Breaths would have been an excellent niche for BLU since we had several breath enhancing pieces, you'd think SE was hinting that it would be BLU's role. Breaths would have been consistant but moderate damage that BLUs could make builds for, too bad all NMs post TOAU were given like 50-95% breath reduction defenses. This impacts not only BLU but also DRG as SE has stated DRG were given lower attack capabilities since the Wyvern's breath is supposed to add 200-400 damage on each WS--which is true on fodder but not NMs.

Breaths were viable dmg at one point, but I much prefer how we are now to that.
[+]
By Ophannus 2013-11-15 22:15:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm surprised Magic Damage wasn't added to hybrid jobs' R/M/E. Murgleis and Tizona at least should have been given the same Magic DMG+ that Mjollnir, Claustrum and Yagrush got. Almace, Excalibur, Burtgang should have gotten some MDMG also.

Then again I guess BLU did get some MDMG from ilvl a few patches ago, or did that DMG bonus to Blue Spells from ilvl only affect Physical spells?

Also does magic dmg affect drain/aspir/mp drainkiss?

BTW under Unbridled Wisdom+Azure Lore, Bloodrake>Bloodrake does Darkness, while also pretty much preventing you from dying(until you run out of MP to cast it). Been doing 4.5k-5k Bloodrakes into 5kish Darkness. It's pretty powerful but costs both SP2's and might get more bang for your buck with Glutinous Dart spam, however this probably does faster damage at the cost of exponentially more MP but it's a great ohsh*tkillkillkillkill thing as it does exellent damage(+25% attack bonus on Bloodrake) and keeps you fully healed. A good example of a great time to use this over Glutinous spam is if all other DDs are down/weakened and fighting a <5%HP Dakuwaqa. If DDs interrupt your Bloodrake spam, it kills your skillchain and reduces the effectiveness of this combo. It helps if you have a WHM devotion you or have some kind of Ballad/Evoker Roll on you to squeeze out more Bloodrakes because after 3 skillchains, you'll most likely be drained unless you got a Vile Elixir+1 handy.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2013-11-15 23:27:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Does for Magic Hammer but not MP drainkiss.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-11-15 23:35:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Aspirs and Drains are not calculated in the same way as other magic attacks, they have no traditional "base damage" to add onto.
By Ophannus 2013-11-17 18:21:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Are only Eft and Raptor susceptible to Terror in Morimar? I'm trying to see which NM is best suited to be terror-locked with SP2+Absolute Terror spam. I'm thinking Raptor so DDs can go all out with Victory Smites and skillchains. Or maybe Eft since it dispels and has stun aoes. I think Peiste resists/immune to Terror, never seen it land on him, and never tried it on Kurma. Tojil is probably immune I take it?
By Lyncath 2013-11-17 18:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

It works on the Matamata for sure.
By Ophannus 2013-11-17 21:11:47
Link | Quote | Reply

How are BLUs learning Delve spells? Whenever I go, the Scholars are just too good and stun Blistering Roar and Droning Whirlwind that I can never learn it. I tried to follow PLD to learn Roar since he usually opens with it but the PLD die and it went idle for a few seconds so I think that erases any chance of learning it since the next time it's claimed it counts as a fresh claim. Any tips? >.>
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-11-17 21:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I go with people who understand what "let one go off" means
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2013-11-17 21:30:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
I go with people who understand what "let one go off" means

This ^
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2013-11-17 21:46:57
Link | Quote | Reply

That sounds dirty.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-11-17 21:48:22
Link | Quote | Reply

You can just learn a stunned ability.
By Ophannus 2013-11-17 22:04:58
Link | Quote | Reply

You can learn a stunned ability? I thought it needs to actually activate in order to learn...
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-11-17 22:10:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope! "Readies" is all that is required.
 Cerberus.Keyoku
Server: Cerberus
user: Keyoku
By Cerberus.Keyoku 2013-11-18 12:47:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ophannus, yeah, Terror works well on both Raptor and Eft, Kurma and Peiste both resisted the few times I tried. As for Raptor, most good geos on Cerberus use Wilt on it and DDs always CS it to death. Esp since the introduction of ilvl stats, no DD should ever go down (of course, they still do).
By Tymoris 2013-11-18 13:04:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Nope! "Readies" is all that is required.

I am not 100% sure about that, at least with tojil all the times I went to learn it and the ability was stunned I never got it.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-11-18 13:59:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think I've ever seen evidence to suggest that an ability that doesn't actually go off can be learned, it's exceedingly difficult to test, however, since you can only learn a spell once, and I have all of them
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-11-18 14:00:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I've learned stunned UL spells since the last update. And people have reported learning Mortal Ray while stunning it instead of turning their backs in the past.
By Ophannus 2013-11-18 14:27:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I just tested it on a mule. Stunned self destruct with head butt and still learned it.
[+]
By Tymoris 2013-11-18 15:01:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Well that's good then there is still hope for me ^^
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-11-18 15:32:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I would estimate that the base rate for learning Blue Magic spells is about 20-25%. So taking anything up to 9 tries (or 7 if the rate is 25%) to learn a spell would be considered 'average'.

AF probably doubles the rate. I'm more inclined to say it's the lower estimate, but I don't want to level BLU on a mule to actually test this ***. Luckily there are enough spells that you actually could get a decent data set if you were really bored as hell.

Honestly we could just collect data from many users on how many tries it takes to learn a spell.
By Ophannus 2013-11-18 17:16:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Just anecdotally once I got hands my rate went from about 25-33% to about 75-80 went alottttt more 1/1 and 1/2 once I got the bazubands. Also I think the higher the blu skill relative to the level of the spell the better, so I typically use exiled or auto exec to equip all my blue magic skill gear+bazubands when the spell I need to learn is being readied but that might just be a placebo. Only reason i do so is because equipping blue skill gear with bazubands luckily bagged me tourbillion, pyric bulwark and thunderbolt 1/1 vs other blus just using bazubands with tp gear
 Sylph.Peldin
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Peldin 2013-11-19 11:16:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalilla, if it's not too much trouble, could you edit the OP to include the list of new BLU spells? Or just provide a link in the OP?

I only ask so that those that are returning to the game, or don't visit the forums frequently can more easily find the info they seek.

Thanks! :)
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11