Power Rangers: A Guide to Pewing
First Page 2 3 ... 111 112 113 ... 130 131 132
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-11-09 16:11:37
Link | Quote | Reply

RNG is actually fairly popular now, relatively speaking. It's a lower barrier to entry (both cost and skill wise) versus a high end melee zerg setup. While RNG strats might not compete with a properly set up Nirvana SMN AC zerg or excellent WARs in a lot of cases, it's still quite effective and normally very safe.

I kinda think the seeds for this were planted in Reisenjima in the period through 2016 or so when BLM was extremely popular as a high damage source with a low risk of death from AoE or uncontrolled hate. The combination of (1) GEO "nerf" and (2) a trend toward less nuke-favorable mobs has reduced the popularity of tossing a group of BLMs at stuff, but since RNG wasn't affected much by either of those factors, I think there was a pretty substantial (and logical) shift to using more physical ranged setups as a direct result.

Also doesn't hurt that RNG has been generally been getting really good gear in the post-Omen era (AF+2/+3, several fantastic Omen accessories, Meghanada+2 set is quite nice and easy to obtain, etc.). I'd say RNG has been near the top of the list of jobs that have received good new gear in the past year-ish.

The only downside is when people just pick up a Fomalhaut in Aeonic groups then decide to take up RNG, and play it without a care in the world about enmity. Non-stop Last Stand spam (and JR spam, not to leave out my Gandiva toting friends) has its place, but isn't exactly a recipe for the controlled, safe ranged damage that some of these strategies are built for... But that can easily be managed with smart use of Decoy/Camo, magical WS, and the option of Anni/Coronach (by no means necessary in almost all cases, but it's a good option and a fairly affordable way to get very good performance and easy hate control).

TL;DR - yeah, RNG has been in a pretty good place this past year.
 Bahamut.Baozzer
Server: Bahamut
user: baozzer
By Bahamut.Baozzer 2017-11-09 17:16:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Spynx said: »
Bahamut.Baozzer said: »
RNG is pretty useful for omen if your whm is bad
Very true but a good part of the blame is also with the DD not switching to DT gear before incoming nasty tp moves.

Back on topic, RNG is still a really relevant and fun way to kill endgame NMs especially as you have high damage potential (even if slower than physical as people highlighted) and bunch of nice enmity management tools such as decoy shot and relatively-cheap and easy to get Annihilator

Don't forget insane status ailments and people don't like using remedies and holy waters for some reason. I've also use RNG for Helm fights. Schach, Albumen, and Vini to be exact.
[+]
By eliroo 2017-11-14 10:36:24
Link | Quote | Reply

So if I wanted to play RNG and get grabbed for pick up groups would Annihilator be a good start or will Holliday suffice until I can scrounge up the funds for an AG anni?

Also are there any updated gearsets or just someone with an updated Gearswap that I can look around in to figure out what gear I need to get?
[+]
By fillerbunny9 2017-11-14 10:51:00
Link | Quote | Reply

you could probably just gimp along with Relic. the damage difference is going to be pretty close depending how many stones you throw into the mix. Holliday would most likely be a better weapon in the short term, but that is gil you should be funneling to other slots.

Item Set discussions:
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/51491/ranger-midshot-sets/

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/51482/ranger-weaponskill-sets/

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/51475/ranger-preshot-sets/

if you search this thread for lua or gearswap, I am sure you will come up with a few results, in addition to the option of getting one off of BG, just using Google, etc.
[+]
By eliroo 2017-11-14 10:55:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok cool thanks!
By fillerbunny9 2017-11-14 11:18:07
Link | Quote | Reply

there might be a couple others that I missed, but there was a fair amount of discussion in them all, and should net you a lot of what to aim for.
By fonewear 2017-11-14 12:05:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Real life FFXI ranger mythic weapon:

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Bahamut.Baozzer
Server: Bahamut
user: baozzer
By Bahamut.Baozzer 2017-11-23 17:18:48
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
So if I wanted to play RNG and get grabbed for pick up groups would Annihilator be a good start or will Holliday suffice until I can scrounge up the funds for an AG anni?

Also are there any updated gearsets or just someone with an updated Gearswap that I can look around in to figure out what gear I need to get?

For Omen PUG its pretty mean if people don't take anyone they can get lol. Holliday is good for fodder floors cause trueflight does amazing dmg. And on one of the Omen bosses you're not suppose to sc cause some elements heal him (I forget which) and everyone spamming LS from not aeonic gun wont sc. And if you don't have aeonic gun, if everyone uses a bow for JR for lights its quit helpful for dps.
[+]
By eliroo 2017-12-04 12:32:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you guys often find yourself shooting outside of the "True shot" zone? Or do you typically stay in that range and just let your DT gear keep your alive?
By clearlyamule 2017-12-04 12:46:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Generally outside. Not too hard to stay safeish in it with bow but you also tend to pull hate and get out of it lol
[+]
 Sylph.Squintrox
Server: Sylph
user: Kollosis
By Sylph.Squintrox 2017-12-04 13:33:42
Link | Quote | Reply

What he said. Just depends on how easily you can get doodled by the mob. I'm usually always standing farther back with Gun than I'm supposed to.
[+]
By eliroo 2017-12-04 14:09:29
Link | Quote | Reply

That is what I figured, but I wasn't entirely sure. Thank you for the answer!
By SmoothC 2017-12-07 05:29:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Need some help solving a puzzle. Every time I fight Kin, my regular shots consistently hit for 1111 DMG or 1111 heal if it lands during Kin TP move. When Gandiva aftermath procs it is always 3333. If it Crit's the damage is higher and more random. JR WS DMG is random also. Gearset for Midshot below, /WAR sub, Master capped JP and I use Sushi. Last note, last night I accidentally left my craft shield on then switched to nusku a few minutes into Kin, but the dmg was still 1111/3333.

My only idea right now is maybe Kin has a DMG Taken Cap??? Otherwise I cant figure out why its so fixed and consistent at 1111/3333.

ItemSet 351862
By clearlyamule 2017-12-07 09:50:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Consistent dmg is kind of one of the hallmarks of ranged attacks. I'd be more surprised if it was all over the place. Only surprising thing there is the crits being random since crits should just be normal hit *1.25*crit hit dmg/deadaim
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2017-12-07 09:58:23
Link | Quote | Reply

what was your str total in that set with all your gear and buffs?
By SmoothC 2017-12-07 11:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Odd thing is its every time on Kin, not just a one time thing. Also its odd that it didn't change with or without shield which is a +20 R Attack swing.

STR for that set with Gear and Food is 234. Didnt look at it at the time but dont think I had any STR buffs on.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2017-12-07 11:45:43
Link | Quote | Reply

1111 every single shot on an ranged attack would indicate you have capped attack. That would equate to a base damage of 342, which bow+arrow alone already surpasses. So he has a damage reduction somewhere.

It doesn't answer your question regarding crits, just wanted to try to get a more accurate estimate of their VIT.
By SmoothC 2017-12-07 11:55:49
Link | Quote | Reply

From BG Wiki: "The Target / Eleventh Dimension combo can be negated by a party member moving above the targeted player on Kin's Enmity list. Kin gains damage reduction while Target is active."

I guess this could play into it if capped attack and Target giving damage reduction.

I guess I'll need to try to capture log from the next time we do Kin to really work this out.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-12-07 12:00:21
Link | Quote | Reply

It was freaky, I was there with Smooth and this isn't the first time it happened. It doesn't seem to happen with our other RNGs/CORs either, just him!

Everyone was noticing the repeated 1111s (LOL and 3333 heals to Kin cuz let's be honest, Empy AM proc is 100% success rate when it would heal the mob...)

IIRC, we haven't ever seen this on other mobs either - which would be the case if it was just a matter of ranged attacks being really consistent (they're consistent, but not THAT consistent). We regularly do all Omen bosses other than Kei with RNG setups too, so we have plenty of experience. It just seems to happen on Kin, so I'm kinda inclined to think there is either some special mechanic on that NM in particular, some weird (buggy?) interaction with Gandiva, etc. If there's something specific to Empy, I don't recall it happening to me using Armageddon (but I'm usually banned from shooting at Kin because I heal it a lot, so I tank it...)

Anyone else seen this? If not, can anyone replicate it (particularly a Gandiva user, if for some reason it's a strange weapon-specific thing).
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-12-07 12:04:01
Link | Quote | Reply

SmoothC said: »
From BG Wiki: "The Target / Eleventh Dimension combo can be negated by a party member moving above the targeted player on Kin's Enmity list. Kin gains damage reduction while Target is active."

I guess this could play into it if capped attack and Target giving damage reduction.

I guess I'll need to try to capture log from the next time we do Kin to really work this out.
You just don't understand how ranged damage is calculated. Your result is completely expected. When your damage ISN'T consistant, it means you don't have capped attack.
[+]
By Brynach 2017-12-07 12:19:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Next Kin I do on RNG, ill use my Gandiva. Itll be interesting to see what, if any, similarities I see.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-12-07 12:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
SmoothC said: »

You just don't understand how ranged damage is calculated. Your result is completely expected. When your damage ISN'T consistant, it means you don't have capped attack.

Does that explain the significant variance when there's a crit?
By Brynach 2017-12-07 12:42:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, rng crits are 1.25x dmg then Dead aim (assume 53% from lvl 99 and gifts) that is multiplicative with crit dmg.
1.25x 1.53 = 1.91x dmg multiplier. That would account for your much larger crit value.

edt: I forgot the oneiros knife. that's another crit dmg that is applied directly to dead aim.

1.25x1.63 = 2.0375x mulitplier
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-12-07 12:52:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Perhaps we weren't catching it, but I think the actual crit numbers weren't the same from crit to crit. Which implies it's not just a matter of hitting max damage from each ranged attack and adding crit multiplier to the static value.

I guess True Shot is the best explanation for some difference, if there was any movement of the RNG or the mob.

The actual number value (1111) was also particularly eye raising, (and which we don't seem to get on any other targets including other Omen bosses). Especially in Omen, where stuff like "666" has meaning. But that might just be an incredible coincidence.
By Brynach 2017-12-07 12:59:41
Link | Quote | Reply

If you hit All Lucky 7's, Kin will automatically drop the body.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2017-12-07 14:17:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Without numbers for these "random" damage hits it's kind of hard to say much. But they should be consistent as normal outside of really weird mobs like dynamis qufim or strong phalanx. I guess actual dmg cap but that's clearly not the case if you do more
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2017-12-07 14:21:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Brynach said: »
If you hit All Lucky 7's, Kin will automatically drop the body.

What do I do for Fu to drop body, because sacrificing puppies and baby pandas ain't workin'.
By SmoothC 2017-12-07 16:44:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, did some more testing. Its the attack cap. Just neat coincidence that the number was 1111 and 3333. Reg DMG and Crits were consistent until I changed equipment to accuracy set.

So add more STR?
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2017-12-07 16:49:34
Link | Quote | Reply

attack.

but depends on what you’re giving up too.
By clearlyamule 2017-12-07 17:37:56
Link | Quote | Reply

attack wont work if capped.

Str should since it does look like you aren't capped fstr2... but you're look at 3.25 dmg every 2 str so not exactly huge. If you really want more per hit dmg true shot can help if in range and then focusing on crits.
First Page 2 3 ... 111 112 113 ... 130 131 132