users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Leviathan » Warning: Marrow prices
Warning: Marrow prices
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-05-06 11:41:44
Link | Quote | Reply

That's how I make most of my gil - buy during JP time and resell during NA time!

Then I blow most of it by being impatient during NA time
[+]
 Bismarck.Bongarippa
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Bongarippa 2013-05-06 11:44:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Thorbean said: »
A few JP have been selling marrows for 5M on phoenix since before the expansion.
Just seems pointless to do adl for gil and sell em that cheap, but to each thier own I guess
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-05-06 11:47:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bongarippa said: »
Phoenix.Thorbean said: »
A few JP have been selling marrows for 5M on phoenix since before the expansion.
Just seems pointless to do adl for gil and sell em that cheap, but to each thier own I guess

I think you misunderstand

JPs began hoarding Marrows en-masse between the initial "we'll do something for RME" post and the "Just kidding we actually have zero plans" expecting to take advantage of the temporary price drop they experienced to make massive profits from a market surge when they announced the final plans for improved 99 RME

Then the second post happened and the hoarders panicked
 Lakshmi.Neboh
Server: Lakshmi
user: Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2013-05-06 11:54:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a theory that marrow prices will shoot back up once they release what they'll do with RMEs. This is, of course, assuming they'll be back on top. Those JPs who've amassed marrows and took advantage of the low marrow prices will be rich later on. All about patience. But we'll see...
 Quetzalcoatl.Harmless
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Ollette07
By Quetzalcoatl.Harmless 2013-05-06 13:19:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Why must we continue to get "buyer beware" posts from people that clearly don't understand economics. Things like this happen every update and major announcement. Sylow pretty much hit the nail on the head but if you need more clarity I'll give it a shot... but OP beware, this information may blow your mind!

Whenever some information get's released on future plans or updates several things happen. Some people try to anticipate how this said information will affect the prices of certain items, other people hold true to what has been working, hoping the information has little or no effect on the current market. For the people trying to anticipate a change, the stakes are high. They might buy as many of the items as they can on the cheap with hopes of a price spike and big profit. They also run the risk that the information has no effect and they break even, or worse, the information was incomplete and the market crashes. When this happens the "gamblers" again split into two groups, the ones that sell quickly to minimize the loss and the ones that, once again hold true hoping for a speedy rebound.

From the information above (which is just a generalization), you can see how prices will vary from day to day and hour to hour. Just like the stock market, some people are very good at anticipating change, others simply react to it. Then again, some people also think that our government shoots school children and plants bombs at marathons so I guess Obama could be price fixing marrows too ;)
 Shiva.Nindo
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Nindo 2013-05-06 13:27:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Brain said: »
You've got us.

I personally sat back every night with a glass of brandy, scoffing at the peons that don't see through our grand conspiracy, while I tabbed through ffxiah.com looking for prices to fix, with the sole intention of keeping the casuals down. Then I'd sign on to teamspeak with Draylo and we'd go about setting up alliances with rival marrow farmers, making it look like we're viciously undercutting each other.

We could have continued this monopoly until the servers went down, none the wiser. However, Cycerath has seen through our meticulously planned charade. Truly, he is the greatest detective of all to have seen through it all.

Any minute now the Federal Bureau of MMO Affairs will be at my door. However, they won't find me. All they'll find is a little gift I left behind. As for me, I shall be long gone.

You may have exposed our grand conspiracy this time Cycerath, but soon we'll move on to new items. Soon, we will fix the prices of all the new HNM Synthesis materials and there will be nothing you can do to stop us, for our efforts and methods of obfuscation shall be redoubled in light of your keen intellect and shrewd, Gribble-esque deductive capabilities!

Shi shaw on you my friend! You have tipped your hand too early and our dire game of cat and mouse shall continue on for another day!
I loled so much....coffee everywhere now tho QQ.
[+]
By Artesia 2013-05-06 13:46:28
Link | Quote | Reply

You've got us.

I personally sat back every night with a glass of brandy, scoffing at the peons that don't see through our grand conspiracy, while I tabbed through ffxiah.com looking for prices to fix, with the sole intention of keeping the casuals down. Then I'd sign on to teamspeak with Draylo and we'd go about setting up alliances with rival marrow farmers, making it look like we're viciously undercutting each other.

We could have continued this monopoly until the servers went down, none the wiser. However, Cycerath has seen through our meticulously planned charade. Truly, he is the greatest detective of all to have seen through it all.

Any minute now the Federal Bureau of MMO Affairs will be at my door. However, they won't find me. All they'll find is a little gift I left behind. As for me, I shall be long gone.

You may have exposed our grand conspiracy this time Cycerath, but soon we'll move on to new items. Soon, we will fix the prices of all the new HNM Synthesis materials and there will be nothing you can do to stop us, for our efforts and methods of obfuscation shall be redoubled in light of your keen intellect and shrewd, Gribble-esque deductive capabilities!

Shi shaw on you my friend! You have tipped your hand too early and our dire game of cat and mouse shall continue on for another day!

You sir are a shoe in for post of the year. Good job!
[+]
 Leviathan.Kyushujangara
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Kyushujangara 2013-05-06 20:54:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Cycerath said: »

spreading unverifiable rumors

*see profile comment*

...Isn't that exactly what this thread is? Can you verify anything you have said? Sounds like hearsay *** to me.

Quote:
(that's what his ls says anyways)

hahaha...ever played the game telephone?
 Fenrir.Hanabira
By Fenrir.Hanabira 2013-05-06 22:20:09
Link | Quote | Reply

You've got us.

And you would have gotten away for it if it werent for those MEDDLING KIDS...
By Dazusu 2013-05-10 01:32:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Altar said: »
How on earth are "Bigger LS" artificially inflating the price of something so easy to kill?

Duping ~100 of them. I'd imagine it gives them enough float to control.

Leviathan is also an incredibly small server, so it's not hard to do such things - and most people if not all would take the same opportunity to do it.

That aside though, when buying from a Bazaar - you pay what an item is worth to you. To the OP: If your friend paid 9m, and got their marrows - then they didn't get ripped off. Stop being butthurt.