Kaboom! A Guide for Black Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 41 42 43
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2013-05-01 20:18:50
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesnt make numen staff pointless actually even if you arent ever benefitting from the latent effect 14 hmp iirc is still or was at one point for sure the highest hmp you can get on a staff, I sold it purely for inv space and use chatoyant now instead. HMP set should be your lowest priority set hence why I would just use 2 tick body over carrying 9 hmp body even though its slightly better.
 Ragnarok.Deathshift
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Deathshift 2013-05-01 20:23:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Krsone said: »
It doesnt make numen staff pointless actually even if you arent ever benefitting from the latent effect 14 hmp iirc is still or was at one point for sure the highest hmp you can get on a staff, I sold it purely for inv space and use chatoyant now instead. HMP set should be your lowest priority set hence why I would just use 2 tick body over carrying 9 hmp body even though its slightly better.
I was talking specifically about the refresh set.
 Sylph.Krsone
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2013-05-01 20:26:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah sorry I didnt see Numen staff in the refresh set when I looked.
 Cerberus.Pukushu
Server: Cerberus
user: pukushu
By Cerberus.Pukushu 2013-05-02 01:13:39
Link | Quote | Reply

id be interested in drain/aspir sets and math involved. i have no idea what max potential drain and aspir off a target would be. might also want to add in fast cast set and conserve mp with math on that and when to use both. could also throw in a singing set for completeness too.

also depending on how in depth you want to get a section on uses of blm in the various aspects of the game. that last bit seams to be prevalent in all the guides.

ok im asking for a lot here, but if you had any sort of math on mp/damage ratios that would be great info. the whm guide has it for cure and regen and i found that quite interesting and useful!

not to get picky, but you mention demon rings with correct augments, but dont tell what the correct augments are. and since you use sorc ring, you probably need an -hp set to activate it.

nice start btw! thanks for the effort!!
 Cerberus.Pukushu
By Cerberus.Pukushu 2013-05-02 01:29:52
Link | Quote | Reply

for refresh set orvail robe and wivre hairpin also make 3/tic. stearic subligar also provides refresh on legs.

for bard subjob, i can proc without ES by using macc atma (merciless matriarch), macc gear and if needed macc temp item.
 Ragnarok.Forsakengriever
By Ragnarok.Forsakengriever 2013-05-02 01:32:38
Link | Quote | Reply

In regards to the testing for the drain/aspir...Sure! :/ As soon as those stupid hands/feet will pop out of an assault box and say hello! >_< so i may not be the best to do that sort of thing.

Yeah I need to add the correct augments you're right. Will do that soon (little busy in game atm)

Also math is a terrible subject for me. >_< I don't know if anyone would be able to provide some kind of damage ration thingy and I could give them credit for the contribution..

Have someone who offered to write an HP-Down set in the morning :D
 Ragnarok.Forsakengriever
By Ragnarok.Forsakengriever 2013-05-02 01:34:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pukushu said: »
for refresh set orvail robe and wivre hairpin also make 3/tic. stearic subligar also provides refresh on legs.

I didn't think of those ^_^ Added.
 Cerberus.Pukushu
By Cerberus.Pukushu 2013-05-02 03:43:58
Link | Quote | Reply

so here are two singing sets.

ItemSet 299424 ItemSet 299428

the first is max singing skill with macc filling in the gaps. the second is more a mid range and its mostly stuff you probably have lying around from another set. you can add or substitute any macc pieces you have available to you. fast cast and quickens spell help in the case that you get resisted.

in addition imo if you are blm/brd for abyssea procs you should be using merciless matriarch, minkin monstrocity and apoc for atma.
 Ragnarok.Legendarycloud
By Ragnarok.Legendarycloud 2013-05-02 04:11:24
Link | Quote | Reply

A couple suggests for Dark Magic and Drain/Aspir sets:

Dark Magic:

- Use Archon Ring instead of the Omega Ring

Drain/Aspir:

- Grip looks off, probably still should be using Caecus here
- Archon again instead of Icesoul
- Abyssal Earring instead of Dark Earring
 Fenrir.Leoheart
Server: Fenrir
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2013-05-02 04:19:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Blm Can't wear Iaso (See: Pdt set), You should probably use Tatsumaki Sitagoromo from ASA there.

For your High tier Dark magic set, Spurrina slops are best in slot.
Also a set for elemental dots is worth a mention too, since they're elemental magic and not enfeebling.

Ragnarok.Forsakengriever said: »
Also math is a terrible subject for me. >_< I don't know if anyone would be able to provide some kind of damage ration thingy and I could give them credit for the contribution..

It's pretty easy to calculate magic damage, I highly recommend you read this guide on BG and make an example of your own for your guide~

http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Calculating_Magic_Damage
 Cerberus.Lawliett
user: Lawliett
By Cerberus.Lawliett 2013-05-02 05:06:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Should really fix the part of the OP that says Antinian Staff +1 is the strongest nuking staff out there. The Delve weapon was augmentable with 70 MaB and it was proven weaker then the Magian Staffs by a decent bit. Under Aftermath Lv3 Mythic is the best damage output staff (Don't forget Damage +10% on Elemental Seal) and right behind it are the Magian Staffs.

Also apperently Bokwus Robe is Augmentable with an Additional 7 MaB and 2 INT, making it far superior to Morrigan's Robe +1 in a Max damage build now, even with the set bonus from Feet and Body combined.

And finally for the Dark Magic build Xsaeta I increases your Drain/Aspir Potency by 35%, far beyond the bounty sickle.
 Cerberus.Cahlum
user: Cahlum
By Cerberus.Cahlum 2013-05-02 05:23:15
Link | Quote | Reply

For refresh set Spurrina Coif augmented with +2 refresh and any +2 refresh body is better than heka + hat
 Asura.Tarquine
Server: Asura
By Asura.Tarquine 2013-05-02 05:29:25
Link | Quote | Reply

What is the exact INT <> MAB ratio?
I see people saying 1INT = 1MAB - if this is the case, why is Witchstone not replaced by a cheaper Phantom Tathlum (which has +10 MP), or a better still but expensive Ombre Tathlum? Or am i missing something?
 Cerberus.Mindi
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2013-05-02 05:43:38
Link | Quote | Reply

the first is max singing skill with macc filling in the gaps. the second is more a mid range and its mostly stuff you probably have lying around from another set. you can add or substitute any macc pieces you have available to you. fast cast and quickens spell help in the case that you get resisted.

in addition imo if you are blm/brd for abyssea procs you should be using merciless matriarch, minkin monstrocity and apoc for atma.

Since you are /brd you cat use wind instruments. This way wind skill will have no effect on your acc. (Musical earring and Bokwus Boots)
another decent macc earring is the goetia earring
 Sylph.Dasanuffadat
By Sylph.Dasanuffadat 2013-05-02 06:02:59
Link | Quote | Reply

For your HMP set you might want to replace some pieces with auto refresh or put in a note that it's better sometimes. 1 refresh is worth 3.33 HMP.

As an example to a change, even a 1 tic refresh would replace the Goliard Chapeau.
 Fenrir.Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2013-05-02 06:03:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tarquine said: »
I see people saying 1INT = 1MAB - if this is the case, why is Witchstone not replaced by a cheaper Phantom Tathlum (which has +10 MP), or a better still but expensive Ombre Tathlum? Or am i missing something?

There never really was a ratio, it's just something that was quantified to roughly compare gear for spells.

When you're nuking with an INT value higher than the monsters, the excess is Positive "dINT" when your INT is lower than the targets, it lowers the value of "M".

Positive dINT is multiplied by M (multiplies dINT based on the tier of the spell 2.3 for tier V spells) and added onto the "V" (Base spell damage 874 for Thunder V), this is one the first things to be calculated in magic damage, and is then multiplied by your magic affinity.

The idea is the value of positive dINT you possess is further enhanced during the magic damage calculation so certain values of INT on gear can be compared to values of mab.

Please correct me in places where I've said something wrong, It's kinda hard to explain this to someone else lol
[+]
 Cerberus.Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2013-05-02 06:27:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Dasanuffadat said: »
For your HMP set you might want to replace some pieces with auto refresh or put in a note that it's better sometimes. 1 refresh is worth 3.33 HMP.

As an example to a change, even a 1 tic refresh would replace the Goliard Chapeau.

also Orvail corona is better then golaird anyways and aslong as best your headgear can offer is 1tic refresh its best hmp head, replaced by a Spurrina coif when you have it (2 refresh)
By Latifah 2013-05-02 06:28:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm surprised nobody here posted a more useless crap like town gear set, /dance set, melee set in order to make the OP disqualified to post a blm guide.
/sarcasm off
[+]
 Cerberus.Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2013-05-02 06:49:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Latifah said: »
I'm surprised nobody here posted a more useless crap like town gear set, /dance set, melee set in order to make the OP disqualified to post a blm guide.
/sarcasm off

well tbh BLM/WAR has alot of Red Procs for abyssea! So def need dat melee gearset! Lol

Staff: Earth Crusher, sunburst (need /war, /whm ...)
Club: Seraph Strike (/war, /whm ...)
Scythe: Shadow of death (/war)
Polearm: Raiden Thrust (/war.. and Halloween polearm)
Sword: Seraph Blade, Red Lotus Blade (/war and some all jobs lv 1 Sword)

Thats 7 procs, if the blm goes together with a NIN you have 12/13 procs. Not allways usefull, but can be :) like farming +2-dropping popsets that require a KI and you are too lazy to allways warp out to change to war or something hehe
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2013-05-02 08:16:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Mindi said: »
well tbh BLM/WAR has alot of Red Procs for abyssea! So def need dat melee gearset! Lol

Staff: Earth Crusher, sunburst (need /war, /whm ...)
Club: Seraph Strike (/war, /whm ...)
Scythe: Shadow of death (/war)
Polearm: Raiden Thrust (/war.. and Halloween polearm)
Sword: Seraph Blade, Red Lotus Blade (/war and some all jobs lv 1 Sword)

Thats 7 procs, if the blm goes together with a NIN you have 12/13 procs. Not allways usefull, but can be :) like farming +2-dropping popsets that require a KI and you are too lazy to allways warp out to change to war or something hehe
damn, I hadn't even thought about bringing BLM/WAR. I guess that's because I always try to get yellow proc's more, but when we know there is no one who wants +2 items /war would be way better than /whm or /brd. no way in hell is my blm gonna be main healer!
 Asura.Tarquine
Server: Asura
By Asura.Tarquine 2013-05-02 08:21:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Leoheart said: »
Asura.Tarquine said: »

There never really was a ratio, it's just something that was quantified to roughly compare gear for spells.

When you're nuking with an INT value higher than the monsters, the excess is Positive "dINT" when your INT is lower than the targets, it lowers the value of "M".

Positive dINT is multiplied by M (multiplies dINT based on the tier of the spell 2.3 for tier V spells) and added onto the "V" (Base spell damage 874 for Thunder V), this is one the first things to be calculated in magic damage, and is then multiplied by your magic affinity.

The idea is the value of positive dINT you possess is further enhanced during the magic damage calculation so certain values of INT on gear can be compared to values of mab.

Please correct me in places where I've said something wrong, It's kinda hard to explain this to someone else lol

I appreciate you taking the time to explain that to me, however I still don't get it (my fault entirely) so, In the ammo slot, is (+2MAB) better than (4INT +2Conserve MP)?
 Fenrir.Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2013-05-02 08:35:52
Link | Quote | Reply

2 mab is better, yeah.
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2013-05-02 10:04:16
Link | Quote | Reply

This is one of the things that I have always had a hard time with and makes calculating magic damage for some very confusing.

For dINT > 0, but after some inflection point: D = V + M*I + ((dINT-I) * M/2))
 Carbuncle.Sterling
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2013-05-02 10:18:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I kind of wish you had named this guide Kazaam... if you know what I mean.

[+]
 Fenrir.Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2013-05-02 10:20:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure what it is exactly.

Only thing I can come up with is when INT gets devalued after adding a certain amount.

In other words, your dINT calculation will have changed to account for the normal dINT and the devalued dINT after adding so much, as it becomes half effective when you add so much.
 Bismarck.Rosalee
Server: Bismarck
user: Rosamimi
By Bismarck.Rosalee 2013-05-02 10:45:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Mindi said: »

Since you are /brd you cat use wind instruments. This way wind skill will have no effect on your acc. (Musical earring and Bokwus Boots)
another decent macc earring is the goetia earring

You forgot the Orphic egg in Ammo slot. Honestly though, I think the 8 M.Acc would probably be better than just +1 skill. Plus, pensee earring is better for pure M.Acc than Aredan.
By Chimerawizard 2013-05-02 11:04:18
Link | Quote | Reply

for what it's worth...
Spirit Lantern
Though I don't see many times anyone would actually break one of those out anymore.
 Siren.Taruina
Server: Siren
user: zerich
By Siren.Taruina 2013-05-02 11:10:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Your elemental magic "fast cast" set doesn't make note of the "-12% casting time" on Goetia hat +2. Nares cap is only +10% fastcast.
By Chimerawizard 2013-05-02 11:15:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Taruina said: »
Your elemental magic "fast cast" set doesn't make note of the "-12% casting time" on Goetia hat +2. Nares cap is only +10% fastcast.
I don't see where it says it's for elemental magic. it's just a general fast cast set. Good for precast for most occasions, just swap out certain pieces for certain spells. great for a fastcast in spellcast where you have rules to change certain pieces for certain types of spells, cures, stoneskin, elemental.
 Siren.Taruina
Server: Siren
user: zerich
By Siren.Taruina 2013-05-02 11:42:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I understand it was a base fast cast set. I was making a suggestion so that the author would mention the hat...since this is supposed to be a guide for the new and or oblivious.
First Page 2 3 ... 41 42 43