Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » stuttering in game
stuttering in game
 Shiva.Devrom
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Devrom
By Shiva.Devrom 2012-12-24 04:40:13
Link | Quote | Reply

it was fine until i installed a game called Blacklight Retribution on Steam. it also installed some utility stuff like directx, visuall c++ etc. next time i ran ffxi, my character began stuttering in game, mostly noticable while on the move, normal for few seconds then hangs for a brief moment then normal again and so on.

the game i installed supports directx 11 so i thought that could be the issue since i had directx problems with ffxi before so i installed directx 8 from my vanadiel collection disc. pol would look all fuzzy and the game wouldnt launch. reinstalling directx 8 would solve the problem but this time it didn't help. what should i do now? i doubt reinstalling would solve this and i wouldnt really wanna uninstall another game i enjoy even if it was a quick workaround for this stutter thing.

if it helps, my graphics card, gforce gt 630m, does support direcxt 11 and this is happening on windows 7.
edit: and there is no drop in fps at the moment of stuttering.

any ideas? thanks in advance.

edit: now i noticed the same stuttering on POL too...
By Rhaokin 2012-12-24 05:26:53
Link | Quote | Reply

This is actually a pretty widespread problem (I had it too) and I found it's usually related to networking. I don't know why it would happen after installing your other game though..

Some things to try are:
  • Disable/Uninstall QoS packet scheduling on your network adapter
    Try another internet connection (such as wired) just to see if it continues happening

• Try unplugging all your USB devices and restarting the game, see if it's still doing it.

• Disable all "HID-Compliant Devices" in Device Manager under Human Interface Devices (This shouldn't affect your peripherals in my experience as long as you only disable the ones specifically titled "HID-Compliant Device")

• Be sure ports are forwarded properly

Shiva.Devrom
By Shiva.Devrom 2012-12-24 06:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

thank you very much. i will see if any of those works. now that you mentioned networking, i have also installed Net Limiter just before i installed the other game. i didn't suspect the stuttering to most likey be caused by a networking issue so i didn't mention it in the original post. do you think Net Limiter could have something to do with this? Because the program comes with a network adapter to work properly so i also installed that.
By Rhaokin 2012-12-24 08:37:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Possibly~

Since it's controlling your throughput it could be causing a similar problem to QoS packet scheduler so try disabling it just for a little while and make sure it's not causing the problem.

If the problem is gone while it's disabled you should be able to keep it installed as long as you're not using it while playing FFXI.
 Shiva.Devrom
By Shiva.Devrom 2012-12-24 15:13:33
Link | Quote | Reply

finally solved the issue. thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction. net limiter is the culprit but unfortunately, simply exiting the program while ffxi is on didn't help so i had to uninstall it. i don't think i can seperately uninstall the network adapter which comes with it. i will try to not install the adapter when the setup prompts me to and see if net limiter still works.
 Sylph.Kawar
Server: Sylph
user: Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2012-12-25 12:46:11
Link | Quote | Reply

wait when you said you uninstalled it.Are you talking about the dark game or ffxi.
By Rhaokin 2012-12-25 12:47:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Devrom said: »
finally solved the issue. thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction. net limiter is the culprit but unfortunately, simply exiting the program while ffxi is on didn't help so i had to uninstall it. i don't think i can seperately uninstall the network adapter which comes with it. i will try to not install the adapter when the setup prompts me to and see if net limiter still works.

Glad to hear your problem was fixed! :)

Sorry that you had to uninstall something to make it work though, hopefully you can work something out with it.

Sylph.Kawar said: »
wait when you said you uninstalled it.Are you talking about the dark game or ffxi.

They uninstalled a program called Net Limiter, a bandwidth controller of some sort.