A Scholar's Education (Guide)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » A Scholar's Education (Guide)
A Scholar's Education (Guide)
First Page 2 3 4 ... 99 100 101
 Odin.Sawtelle
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2012-08-28 00:37:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Since the whole "no viewable posts on this page" thing was bugging me, and because my ADL group is gathering slowly tonight, I updated somethings i've been meaning to.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-08-28 00:48:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Kyron said: »
My staff, is the 99 double attack staff. Urduja. 97 base dmg, +9 DA. When the double attack procs it is in thousands. Hence the high didgets equal higher darkness what equal biger MB's.

I'm gonna stop ya right there, and just go ahead and ask. Since when is actual SC dmg proportionate to actual MB dmg? Or am I severely missing something here?
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2012-08-28 00:49:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Finally got my Anhur Robe the other day :D Akvan is still holding out on me though. 477 skill currently
[+]
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2012-08-28 01:54:30
Link | Quote | Reply

yay anhur robe!

And Eik, to my knowledge you aren't missing anything.
 Remora.Kyron
Server: Remora
user: kasain
By Remora.Kyron 2012-08-28 01:56:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Eikechi said: »
My staff, is the 99 double attack staff. Urduja. 97 base dmg, +9 DA. When the double attack procs it is in thousands. Hence the high didgets equal higher darkness what equal biger MB's.

I'm gonna stop ya right there, and just go ahead and ask. Since when is actual SC dmg proportionate to actual MB dmg? Or am I severely missing something here?

When you do this skillchain as a SCH, the MB no matter what you do will be higher than normel.

Example, if I go blu, and I do WS/CA my SC wont be higher than my spell.

Sch's the way it sets up off the SC I do is 1.5x on the SC and 2.0 on same element magic.

If you don't believe me, go out and try it out. Sometimes its hard to do good testing as everything dies so fast :). But you will see.

1300-2000 drains
4000-6500 kaustras
8-10k Impacts
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-08-28 02:00:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Eikechi said: »

When you do this skillchain as a SCH, the MB no matter what you do will be higher than normel.

Example, if I go blu, and I do WS/CA my SC wont be higher than my spell.

Sch's the way it sets up off the SC I do is 1.5x on the SC and 2.0 on same element magic.

If you don't believe me, go out and try it out. Sometimes its hard to do good testing as everything dies so fast :). But you will see.

1300-2000 drains
4000-6500 kaustras
8-10k Impacts

ok first things first, no. SC dmg doesn't increase MB dmg. Secondly Sch natively has Magic Burst Bonus job trait T1. Blu can get it too but you have to set it. It has nothing to do with you being on sch, honestly.
Edit: Furthermore, blu can set Skillchain Bonus (for 8% extra SC dmg) as well, and sch doesn't get it unless subbing 45+ dnc.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2012-08-28 02:06:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't get why you keep saying to "go out and see" or "test it out". No one in this thread is argueing that you can't do 10k damage in abyssea with 2 stratagems, a WS and in situations your 2 hour. Any scholar with good gear can EASILLY hit those numbers. I am saying you could do more using other options and a better play style.

Edit: I said we in my initial post as if i'm some official representative of all schs elected by a majority of the scholar community, which i'm clearly not.
 Remora.Kyron
By Remora.Kyron 2012-08-28 02:14:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sawtelle said: »
I don't get why you keep telling us to "go out and see" or "test". No one in this thread is argueing that you can't do 10k damage in abyssea with 2 stratagems, a WS and in situations your 2 hour. Any scholar with good gear can EASILLY hit those numbers. We are saying you could do more using other options and a better play style.

Akihiko Matsui wrote:

Thank you so much for the large amount of comments! We will now be closing the thread.

There are a huge amount of suggestions from Japan, North America, and Europe, but I will be looking over each and every post that followed the instructions, and will be taking it all into consideration as I think about the future of FINAL FANTASY XI and the mutual feelings of the community.

I also have one more request for you all. I hope that you all could read over all of the posts in this thread (of course, reading over what you can is fine, too).

After playing with your friends for so long, you often start to think and play the same way as the them, including your linkshell members, and players that you spend a lot of time with and grow close to.

In this thread there are posts from these people as well as people who think in a completely different way. I’d like you to try and understand what adventurers other than yourself are thinking and looking for.

I think you should consider what the new director thinks about how people play their jobs

If I just want to be a just a hard nuker, I will play BLM.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-08-28 02:15:57
Link | Quote | Reply

lol what...?
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2012-08-28 02:21:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.SawtelleOnTheLastPage said:
Because abyssea is easy, I won't tell you not to screw around SCing in there. It is a free country after all. However it is not an idealized play style, or our "main attack".
I'm not telling you to play differently. I'm simply asking that if you want to continue drawing attention to a play style that is widely accepted as subpar, you do so with valid arguments, or not in a thread I made to help scholars, including myself, become more effective at their roll in the game.
[+]
 Asura.Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2012-08-28 02:39:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Asura.Calatilla said: »
Finally got my Anhur Robe the other day :D Akvan is still holding out on me though. 477 skill currently
I'm at 477 using nq dynamis body atm and no feet, super jealous lol
I don't have any enhancing feet at the moment, and my af3 hat is only +1.Plus my enhancing skill isn't actually capped, couldnt tell you what its actually at without gear because I never check. Not far off I don't think.

This is basically what I have

[+]
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2012-08-28 02:45:22
Link | Quote | Reply

That set will hit 477 is more than solid for most events. It is actually better than the set I have for my gimp sch mule that we use for occassional legion runs and such.
 Asura.Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2012-08-28 03:05:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still trying to improve on it, AF3+2 is obvious upgrade but i`ve just been too lazy in regards to getting a Lusca pop, don't do much abyssea these days unless it's empyrean farming. I didn't know about the Litrae augment until I read about it in this thread but haven't had any luck with that yet. Tried the NM for the sea cape but no luck yet, only killed it like 4 or 5 times though.

Not sure if I`ll go for a Kirin's Pole augment, is it needed or can it be skipped? 3mil for an extra 2 skill in the waist slot seems a bit excessive, likewise for the earring. Those 2 slots will be the last upgrades I do if they're really important.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-08-28 03:13:37
Link | Quote | Reply

As long as you can hit like 430 something enhancing skill, you're "functional."
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-08-28 03:14:04
Link | Quote | Reply

The HKCNM that drops the olympus sash is stupidly easy. I would recommend just doing it for the belt as opposed to paying for it. We went 2/6. RDM and BLU can solo it; I'm not sure about other jobs.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-08-28 03:16:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Also shouldn't Embrava cap magic haste at 422 enhancing?

ENH/15 + 1 = 43.75-14.68
ENH = 421.05

Edit: Nevermind, flooring. 437
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2012-08-28 03:17:20
Link | Quote | Reply

pole would be hard to skip w/o using af2+2 augmented body w/ enlightenment. you need +80 skill, and you currently have

/ / 3/ /4/
10/ 7/ / /
12/ / / /
/ / 3/15/ /

54 meaning you would need 26 more. If you can get rubeus shoes, you could get sea cape and +11kirins to avoid earring/waist. With out rubeus, you'll sadly need all of it to break 500; ;
 Asura.Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2012-08-28 03:17:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm, think I `ll give that a try soon then, what's the HKCNM called, I `ll look it up.
 Asura.Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2012-08-28 03:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sawtelle said: »
pole would be hard to skip w/o using af2+2 augmented body w/ enlightenment. you need +80 skill, and you currently have

/ / 3/ /4/
10/ 7/ / /
12/ / / /
/ / 3/15/ /

54 meaning you would need 26 more. If you can get rubeus shoes, you could get sea cape and +11kirins to avoid earring/waist. With out rubeus, you'll sadly need all of it to break 500; ;
I actually do have the AF2+2 body without the augment currently, got it a few weeks since I didn't have Anhur's. And I forgot about Rubeus feet lol. Give me another 6 months of VW spam and I might get lucky.
 Bismarck.Helel
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-08-28 14:26:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Taurassic park or something like that. Just AoE all the taurus and kill them around the same time. They're MNK mobs so a decent PDT set + phalanx will have them hitting you for 0.
 Remora.Kyron
By Remora.Kyron 2012-09-12 02:51:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Can we add a banish set for sch? I been working onmine but I am sure its not the best.
 Sylph.Binckry
Server: Sylph
user: Binckly
By Sylph.Binckry 2012-09-12 07:29:45
Link | Quote | Reply

...Does SCH even get more than Banish1-2, and Banishga1-2? Or am I missing something?
 Odin.Creaucent
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-09-12 08:16:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Gets what everyone gets /whm. Wouldnt advise anyone to sub whm over rdm or blm. Only thing it adds is banish spells repose and flash would be losing bind blind bio II grav refresh phalanx en-spells sleep 1/2 without having add: black up fast cast and mab II. Lets face it phalanx bind and grav come in handy quite a bit.
 Remora.Kyron
By Remora.Kyron 2012-09-12 12:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Creaucent said: »
Gets what everyone gets /whm. Wouldnt advise anyone to sub whm over rdm or blm. Only thing it adds is banish spells repose and flash would be losing bind blind bio II grav refresh phalanx en-spells sleep 1/2 without having add: black up fast cast and mab II. Lets face it phalanx bind and grav come in handy quite a bit.

Um again, just as some of you have so little knowledge of skill chains and MB's with SCH.

You are seriously lacking the knowledge of all the aspects your job can play.

First off no we don't get flash. That is lvl 50.

Second we do get banishga 1,2 and banish 1,2. And we can use this far better than any pld or whm.

We get Aurastorm + twilight belt + obi. In addition we get klimoform.

Whm lacks aurastorm, and klimoform spell bonuses from boots. In addition rapture bonus from our head does a 60% bonus in just itself. The feet rom Klimoform add 30% to aurastorm.
As for the staff I made the light affinity +6. And guess what I pop off 1500-2400 Banishga 2 800 banish 2 banishga 1 700 and 400 banish.

One can sit there and clear out the whole worm camp in abby range. I can also MB this off self fusion skill chains

I had 99 plds and whms maxed divine magic and they can't even come close to this damage.

I then took this to KC 50 orcs. I soloed the ninja just off banish spells dia 2 and luminhelix what with the same staff does 450-500.

So as a teacher you don't even know what our JA's rapture does. Oh and if you really want to take it to break 3k You can max out Altruism. But even Enlightment can do good with the +25 mnd.

This combo is great as it offers either a good GA spell or a powerful spell with + lumen helix that you can use while kite killing with DoT some mobs or NM's. One does not have to switch to dark arts and has a hard nuking spell. This helps in the fact I can use my JA's to keep regen 5 lasting long and my storm spell lasting long

I went into Nysle Isle with two others schs and one thief. We cleared two floors with just banish magic. This was to test it outside abby. Granted this strategy won't get you a win in that event, but the point was to see how stong it is.

Tonight I killed the turtle in Aby Thaygon Canyon with banish and Dot's. Sure I could of used Kaustra, but no two hour needed for this.

So again, please add a set. I think all mine is lacking is Neo nysle gear or the PW helm to be complete.

BTW: Divine magic caps at 404.
MB gear also affects banish

The other day I used Banishga 2 spell + cactalism to cleeve flees for my monk friend while he was going for his boots The few the banishga 2 didnit kill Banishga 1 did right after.

Knowing what I know now and with my flee boots. I would and am soling more things with /whm then I do with /rdm

You can self SC "Fire" "Thunder" = Fusion MB Banish. Personaly I rather just cast other banishes, but to each their own.

Another thing that's really nice about the banish spell list is that with savants +2 set bonus, much of the time you get instant cast.

NO need to dark arts to put out 1-2500 nukes.
 Quetzalcoatl.Rumaha
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Rumaha
By Quetzalcoatl.Rumaha 2012-09-12 12:25:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Have not followed anything in here at all nor do I care about any of it, but flash is 45, not 50.
 Remora.Kyron
By Remora.Kyron 2012-09-12 12:34:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Fine, but regardless I can care less about those spells. I don't need to blind or sleep a monster or NM that will die to my Luminhelix or banish spells as I run.
 Odin.Sawtelle
By Odin.Sawtelle 2012-09-12 14:39:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Although I have not found many times that I would sch/whm, one of the main reasons that it would become useful is if the banish effect on undead came into play. Being that you would be casting it anyway, I don't see a reason why you would not want it to be as effective as possible so i'll math out a set when I get back from class tonight.

I can't say i've ever used /whm for cleaving so I can't speak to that at all.
 Bismarck.Tragedie
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2012-09-12 14:51:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Can we add a banish set for sch? I been working onmine but I am sure its not the best.

Although I agree with the other posters in regards to subjobs, I don't think this is an unreasonable request... many spellcast templates already have a Divine Magic set anyway.

That said, the Magic Damage Calculation page on BGWiki mentions a little about Divine Magic (during 'Calculation of D'), but not much. The Banish Spells page mentions the effects on undead resistance, but nothing about the direct damage formula... I'm assuming it's on par with Elemental Magic. I'd stick with the nuke set (assuming applicable staves, and not using zodiac ring or any other Elemental Magic-specific gear).

Even if Divine Magic skill made a huge difference in damage calculation, I'm do nto think it'd be worth replacing the gear in those slots (aka, replacing savant's gown +2 with Iaso bliaut or rubeus spats with mystagog slacks). Just use your nuke set and you should be good.

Again, I'm strictly talking about gearing for banish spells, not the applicable use for subbing /whm over other subjobs.
First Page 2 3 4 ... 99 100 101