Idea's For Sobek Solo?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » NMs » Idea's for Sobek Solo?
Idea's for Sobek Solo?
 Bahamut.Kyrael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Kyrael
By Bahamut.Kyrael 2012-03-18 14:52:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been trying to find a solid way and searched forums but I can't find anything more then a vague Yea I solo'd it. I Just finished up my Bria helms and been trying to get skins but have found soloing sobek to be pretty difficult. I have gone 3 times as BST so far using MC DG Einherjar atma's and 2 wins both really close. Even with einherjar tusk is just blowing threw my pets.

any idea's to help would be great as I am hoping not to have a 2/3 success rate on sobek.

also I only can solo I don't have a dual box or anything like that to help.
 Asura.Dajociont
Server: Asura
user: Jamehkun
By Asura.Dajociont 2012-03-18 14:56:15
Link | Quote | Reply

idea is for sobek solo
[+]
 Phoenix.Cathaldus
Server: Phoenix
user: DanielH
By Phoenix.Cathaldus 2012-03-18 15:01:08
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have it try putting the Atma of the Einherjar on for Resist Death, or another Resist Death ATMA if it's killing you by instant KO.

I remember reading somewhere it works for this move.
 Leviathan.Vandheer
Server: Leviathan
user: Aionn
By Leviathan.Vandheer 2012-03-18 15:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Use your harpoon Dajociont! ;D

On a serious note I'd say DNC/NIN or NIN/DNC for solo. Keep yourself above 50% hp to avoid the Tyrant Tusk while stunning the tusk as often as you can. When he uses Awful Eye turn to avoid being paralyzed.

Wouldn't suggest Beastmaster for this fight though I could be wrong because Ducials Guard for pet tank requires 50% or lower hp to give the -50% pdt.

Hope this helped. ^^
[+]
 Shiva.Galbir
Server: Shiva
user: galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2012-03-18 15:11:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone know if the 50% of your hp is based on max hp before buffs/atma or after?
 Carbuncle.Axle
Server: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2012-03-18 15:15:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Sobek has a basic spell > WS combo. When he is done casting he will WS right after. You need to stun something like blizaga4, because if he tyrant tusks you after your hp will most likely drop below 50%(if this happens you get insta death). Nin/dnc would be a good option, self cure, stun, debuff'ing.

Resist Death atma wouldn't help much. Higher hp would be more help, you have a better chance of surviving TT (tyrant tusk).

I've heard of a guy that brew'd a sobek and it TT'd before his hp regen'd above 50%, so he died and wasted a brew.

I've seen a 95 nin/dnc solo it. Was a good player. He would stun all spells. And turn and wait for WS to go off. Main reason for this is so awful eye won't reset your hate or petri you. Most ppl will just grab your white sobek.

As for your bst solo. Keep your pet full hp's if you can. Don't ride ducal guard. Maybe use an eva pet.

edit : 50% is after atma/buffs
 Shiva.Paulu
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2012-03-18 15:18:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Galbir said: »
Anyone know if the 50% of your hp is based on max hp before buffs/atma or after?
From what I've seen death proc is based on current hp, including the cruor buffs.
 Bahamut.Kyrael
By Bahamut.Kyrael 2012-03-18 15:25:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I have both NIN and DNC leveld to 99 but I just didn't think about trying them for this fight. I Thought maybe having a pet take the death would be better. I had also been using einherjar with DG and MC.

For NIN or DNC what atma's would be a good choice then? Cloak and dagger maybe for the acc (stuns) Evasion and Resist death? and then just basic damage stuff?
 Carbuncle.Axle
By Carbuncle.Axle 2012-03-18 15:29:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kyrael said: »
I have both NIN and DNC leveld to 99 but I just didn't think about trying them for this fight. I Thought maybe having a pet take the death would be better. I had also been using einherjar with DG and MC.

For NIN or DNC what atma's would be a good choice then? Cloak and dagger maybe for the acc (stuns) Evasion and Resist death? and then just basic damage stuff?

Do you have all abyssites of merit?

Try for 3k HP at least. Dnc would be good ridding fan dance. It would null dmg alot on TT and risk of death would be alot less. Just violent flourish all spells, and eat the WS with your back turned. If violent flourish fails on a blizzaga4, cure yourself quick.

I would use RR,SS,apoc for atma. Good dd some hp and reraise since your solo. When your confident on the fight i'd do rr,gh,ss maybe.
 Lakshmi.Jimmothy
Guildwork Premium
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Jimmothy 2012-03-18 15:37:51
Link | Quote | Reply

If you are talking about the activation for Ducal guard, it's based off of 50% of your base HP before any buffs.

@Kyrael
BST should be able to handle this guy pretty easily. How often per fight does he kill your pet? When I do it on PUP he only manages to kill him once if he's lucky, just use RR DG and VV unless you really need the HP regen, then MC in the place of VV. I would imagine a great deal of your solo issue is that you aren't using RR, which (at least for pup) speeds up the fight immensely.
 Shiva.Galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2012-03-18 15:44:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jimmothy said: »

If you are talking about the activation for Ducal guard, it's based off of 50% of your base HP before any buffs.

Nah I meant TT was hoping it was before in which case SS and our two hour could be used to create a good 20% sweet spot were DG would be active but TT is ineffective. Sucks that it's death proc % is after.
 Bahamut.Kyrael
By Bahamut.Kyrael 2012-03-18 16:01:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jimmothy said: »

@Kyrael
BST should be able to handle this guy pretty easily. How often per fight does he kill your pet? When I do it on PUP he only manages to kill him once if he's lucky, just use RR DG and VV unless you really need the HP regen, then MC in the place of VV. I would imagine a great deal of your solo issue is that you aren't using RR, which (at least for pup) speeds up the fight immensely.

My pet dies Alot I had to use a revit I had on me last fight to get call beast back up and he just TT him right off the bat even with einherjar.
 Leviathan.Prototyp
Server: Leviathan
user: Starkzz
By Leviathan.Prototyp 2012-03-18 16:03:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Death additional effect can proc at any % of HP, whether the rates increased under 50% not sure, but people making it sound like stay above 50% and your good, which is quite false.
 Carbuncle.Axle
By Carbuncle.Axle 2012-03-18 16:22:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Prototyp said: »
Death additional effect can proc at any % of HP, whether the rates increased under 50% not sure, but people making it sound like stay above 50% and your good, which is quite false.

After TT dmg if your under 50%, you don't get to see because your dead.

As long as i've been full hp pre TT i've never died to it. Only time i worry about dying from TT is when my hp's aren't full. I've killed him quite a few times as well.
 Shiva.Galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2012-03-18 18:41:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never seen it kill anyone 50%+ myself but it may be able to. Do you have screenshots of it doing so?
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-03-18 18:45:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Kills me every freaking time. Just stun the damn thing.
 Sylph.Mesheef
Server: Sylph
user: Mesheef
By Sylph.Mesheef 2012-03-18 18:48:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I have never had him kill me with that move as long as I had bio off me and I had over 2.8k+ hp.
For his aga spells and tp you can use flat blade for stun.
By Fupafighters 2012-03-18 18:55:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Vandheer said: »
Use your harpoon Dajociont! ;D

On a serious note I'd say DNC/NIN or NIN/DNC for solo. Keep yourself above 50% hp to avoid the Tyrant Tusk while stunning the tusk as often as you can. When he uses Awful Eye turn to avoid being paralyzed.

Wouldn't suggest Beastmaster for this fight though I could be wrong because Ducials Guard for pet tank requires 50% or lower hp to give the -50% pdt.

Hope this helped. ^^
Keep yourself above 99% lol. Ive been deathed at 99% cuz whm didnt remove bio quite a few times.
 Ragnarok.Eriina
Server: Ragnarok
user: Eriina
By Ragnarok.Eriina 2012-03-18 19:16:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bst/dnc can use smash axe + V. Flourish for stun stacking.

DG is a great atma but I was wondering how much -pdt pet gear you have on top of that? I can't remember the "exact" amount I have, but it's at or nearly at the cap a bst can equip. I did Sobek in a small group using DG, VV and Einherjar. I know small group is very different from solo, but pet was tanking nearly the whole time and I wasn't having death problems.

-pdt gear?
 Bahamut.Kyrael
By Bahamut.Kyrael 2012-03-20 15:45:23
Link | Quote | Reply

my PDT gear is pretty low I have the ACP helm and a couple small pieces but ended up making a Magic DEF axe instead of any of the PDT since Isegbind was killing my dipper pretty fast and I Was trying to make my caladbolg 90. Turns out the magic def axes are not as helpfull as I would have hope'd
By maxdecphoenix 2012-04-03 15:55:13
Link | Quote | Reply

@OP, your atma choices are ***. Ducal guard is a waste on Sobek and the KI NMs. Think about it, you have a pet that fresh out the jug has a giant HP pool, fighting a mob with a move that, at its most powerful, will be lucky to take 25% of this HP, but if it puts you lower than 50% you die instantly. And to combat this... you use an atma that does *** while your pet is above 50%, and you wonder why it's hard?? Take DG out. with DG out, you eliminate a situation in which the pet (and you) is riding a razors edge the entire fight. removing this HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE situation severely neutralizes T.Tusk. So much so, that the need to have a death resistance atma becomes almost pointless. Holy ***! you now have 2 atma slots free!

lol, just breaking your balls some so don't take offense. Onto the real post.

a bst/dnc can defeat Sobek in a matter of 9-10 minutes. it just takes paying close attention and learning when to do what. i'm sure there's other options, but one that's proven a consistent win for me is:
Falcorr > Gnarled Horn, Sand Emperor, MC This setup capitalizes on falcorrs native evasion, and Sobek's relatively weak melee strikes and poor accuracy.

with a lvl 99 Falcorr and these atma, and making sure you don't get slept, it's a virtual joke that usually requires no more than 1 eta/theta. In fact Minax buggard and sirrush will put out more dmg.

For the atma, C&D or siren shadow would probably be a better choice over Sand Emp, but w/e. it's possible with not exactly the greatest evasion atmas. For another choice over MC, sea daughter would be better, but that's only viable during daytime and i'm just not that patient to wait for the most opportune time.

The -21PDT from axes and the reduction from Stout servant is great and i have done fight with&w/o anwig (it's not a giant difference but w/e), but the moneymaker here is maximizing Falcorrs evasion with atmas. With nothing but the atma, Falc can achieve stellar evasion (on the order of 80-90% evasion) on Sobek. The 20/tick regen has proven enough to recover any auto-attack damage, so this leaves only two real damage threats for the pet: Tyrant Tusk and Blizaga iv.

The highest i've seen T.Tusk go is 1339HP (twice, in 9 fights), with probably every other one between 400-800. but since a lvl98/99 Falcorr has on the order of 5000HP, and sobeks inability to drop the pet below 95% with the evasion and regen, the pet will spend virtually the entire fight at full health. T.Tusks' death component is all but neutralized. Also, Sobek has so many other TP moves, I rarely see TTusk more than twice a fight.

The other threat is Blizaga iv. This is the only feasible way Sobek has that can get Falcorrs HP low enough fast enough for T.Tusk to possibly kill him. While it's possible to recover if you get lucky and it doesn't follow with T.Tusk, it's a risk you shouldn't want to take. this spell just has to be stunned, no excuses.

regular Tusk i've not seen go over 800, and is usually in the <600 range, so it really doesn't spell doom for the pet. If you don't melee, i'm pretty sure MC could recover a lot more of that damage by the time Sobek gets tp again. if you do melee (like me), obviously Sobek will TP faster. Either way, the pet has enough HP to take a 900dmg Tusk and a 1339 Tyrant tusk and still be ~200HP above 50%. i usually just let it ride if sobek is above 50%, and throw a reward after a TTusk, but if you want, reward after a tusk. Short of him doing Tusk>T.Tusk, regen is going to recover most of the damage done by Tusk.

as for spells, other than Sleepga II, they are pretty much just a mild annoyance. His paralyze has rarely been potent enough to hinder me, and is usually just waltzed away on the first try. Heavy Bellow can be troublesome if it's followed by Sleepga (which has happened to me). Sleepga is probably the absolute most essential spell to stun. not really for the pet, but for you. With no sleep resistance, you will most assuredly stay asleep long enough for him to cast, at the least, 1 spell. possibly more. I haven't, but you might want to think about bringing self-DoT or even find a weak-EP to attack you during the fight just to ensure that sleep doesn't ruin what is a rather easy fight.

I've fought sobek 7 times BST solo, won 6.

**Other Notes**
Things can still go wrong, but it takes a pretty specific occurrence of Sleepga > blizard > T.Tusk. which can happen depending on TPfeed rate.

The time i lost, i had been paralyzed, he did a bliz4 followed by TTusk wiping the pet, but i was able to call beast> snarl> fight (while para'ed). I called Nazuna (by mistake) and Sobek went through him pretty quick. Finished him off with a TTusk, then me with a few melee strikes.

Be smart when you WS/Snarl. Aweful Eye is a hate reset, and Sobek really isn't a mob you want to be hitting you for 20~ seconds waiting on cool-down. WS only after a TP move.

Don't use both Stun axe and flourish. I did this once, stunning virtually all spells & JA and he became immune to the effect rather quickly. And with a good portion of HP still remaining. needless to say, that fight was fairly close. i actually lost one pet, but still won the fight.

Sobek can do some weird things sometimes, there's been times i've tried to move out of range of, instead of stunning, spells only to turn around and somehow suddenly have hate midcast. this has happened on atleast four occasions.

I've once seen him WS > Cast sleepga > TTusk in 7 seconds. with nothing hitting him.

99% of the *** farming Sobek will not think twice about stealing. I fought a non solo battle with a whm once and it was really weird. Her superfluous curing and hasting me had emnity out of whack and getting Sobek to focus on the pet was harder than normal. With both of us stunning, his resistance built pretty fast. With Sobek at about 19% he, within 7 seconds, tusked falcorr, cast sleepga, then 1 shotted me with TTusked (onry have about 2200).. He then hit the whm as she ran near me, I raised myself, and as i hit call beast macro i was horrified to hear a chi blast go off.

So while this is pretty consistent win, few people will give a ***you beat through 99% of its HP, if something goes wrong. You might want to drag your Sobek further away. possibly in the tunnel by conflux 7.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [363 days between previous and next post]
 Carbuncle.Bakunetsumaru
By Carbuncle.Bakunetsumaru 2013-04-01 12:07:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Did multiple sobek solos with Nin/Dnc

Stun blizzaga and paralyaga with violent flourish

Keep your hp at full at all times and tyrant tusk wont get you.

Atma: Razed ruins, Gnarled horn , Apoc
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-04-01 14:38:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Bakunetsumaru said: »
Did multiple sobek solos with Nin/Dnc

Stun blizzaga and paralyaga with violent flourish

Keep your hp at full at all times and tyrant tusk wont get you.

Atma: Razed ruins, Gnarled horn , Apoc

holy necrobump batman... Just a lil add-on to this. Yes tyrant tusk can still kill you from 100% hp. It happened to me on dnc/war a royal ton of times.
 Lakshmi.Bleu
Server: Lakshmi
user: Bleu
By Lakshmi.Bleu 2013-04-01 14:45:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Your post is quite false. Instant KO only procs if Tusk takes you under 50% HP and never, ever procs over it.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-04-01 14:52:00
Link | Quote | Reply

tyrant tusk ko's anyone who would be left less than 50% after the damage. neither of you make any sense.

ninja edit...
 Bahamut.Bekisa
By Bahamut.Bekisa 2013-04-01 14:57:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Tusk only kills you if you HP drops below 50% after it uses it from my experience (and what wiki says, and BG wiki used to say but no longer does). If your HP is still 51% or higher it won't kill you. Sanguine Scythe helped me a lot, only 1 time did it kill me when I just solo'd my kannagi. Every other time it either missed me, or my HP barely got touched. The others who joined for free +2's got killed a lot on various jobs and I noticed they all had horrible HP (due to abyssites or atma) and didn't swap -pdt sets.

Some say "Bio" effect being on you plays a part in it to. I do know it was used on me many times, with bio up because I didn't remove it usually, and I didn't die though. No clue if that 1 death had bio up or not, I do know my HP was like 70% already from being petrified and eating a blizzaga just before it.

I always swapped to -PDT set when I saw it ready a TP move. Worked very well for me, 1 death in 50 skins. I never once used Magiwari mostly because I forgot to buy them, and then noticed after 10-15 skins I didn't need them. Couldn't tell you if that helps or not like it does for ??? Needles and such.
By Tickmeoff 2013-04-01 15:06:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Bekisa said: »
I always swapped to -PDT set when I saw it ready a TP move.

Tyrant Tusk is magic damage..
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-04-01 16:01:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Tickmeoff said: »

even on thf i have over 3k hp, i think I've died to tyrant tusk once or twice with pugs. if its magic damage how can it miss so often on evasive jobs?
 Asura.Werdxi
Server: Asura
user: drewxi
By Asura.Werdxi 2013-04-01 16:12:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Tickmeoff said: »
even on thf i have over 3k hp, i think I've died to tyrant tusk once or twice with pugs. if its magic damage how can it miss so often on evasive jobs?

Its physical source, magic dmg. like red lotus blade. this isnt an uncommon feature of the game. and very magic dmg. i soloed probly half of my sobeks on nin/dnc w/ RR, SS, and MM ( so i didnt have to waste my TP curing myself on aoe nukes ). I had a decent MDT set for nin. Never once died from a Tryrant Tusk. Although i do have all the abyssites of merit that increase HP/MP cruor buffs.