[dev1103] Voidwatch Finale
 Quetzalcoatl.Mitosis
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: xMitosisx
By Quetzalcoatl.Mitosis 2012-03-23 05:52:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Leonlionheart said: »
So they're taking away Fanatic's and Fool's(?)... how the *** are you supposed to survive Rex's chainspell?
Siren.Kalilla said: »
03-22-2012 04:11 PM
[source]
Camate
Community Rep

Voidwatch Final Chapter

I’d like to share some information about the weakness system for the final chapter of Voidwatch.

For battles of the final chapter, the weakness system and loot (items) will be completely separated.

We’ve decided to make it so that the weakness system’s goal is to give an advantage in the battle. With this hopefully it will relieve the stress of having to kill the monster when alignments are capped and forming parties to cover a wide range of weaknesses, all while worrying about the rewards. The battle strategies and party formations will be a bit easier making it so you can still defeat the enemy efficiently even if you don’t exploit a weakness.

Additionally, we will be making adjustments to the weakness effects as well as creating proper balance where there is no need to rely on temporary items.

We’d also like to monitor the final chapter and look into adjusting the weakness system for other Voidwatch chapters as well, so if you could separate the feedback for the final chapter and previous chapters it would be much appreciated.
Subscribe

Though it doesn't come right out and say it, this is implying that we will still get temps for procs, just that the old light system will no longer play into reward quality/quantity.

Edit: Hmmm I see where you could get that from this though:
Quote:
Additionally, we will be making adjustments to the weakness effects as well as creating proper balance where there is no need to rely on temporary items.

With these guys, it's hard to tell, but I don... never mind, they already said "balance" were wasting time trying to figure this out.
 Bismarck.Sylow
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-03-23 05:55:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Basically they're saying they want temporary items to be facultative rather than compulsory.

The only way I can see that being the case is if they make everything ridiculously weak.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-03-23 06:05:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see how the inability to have a constant flow of temps will ever be plausible in Voidwatch since they've resigned to the "make everything spam AoEs at the speed of smell that can eradicate your entire front line force in under 20 seconds".

Like you said, Sylow, they'd likely make everything weak as ***, and I don't think that would be a preferable solution either. In a perfect world, they'd stop relying on cheap instant deaths and shitty monster mechanics and start making boss fights that are interesting and possible to win without heavy doses of various types of medication.
[+]
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-03-23 06:11:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The only other option would be to make each weakness category(e.g. Fire blue magic, Dancer job abilities, great axe weaponskills) have only one, unresistable weakness.

As it stands you can rarely strategically strike a weakness because you don't know which of your 5 spells or 10 weapon skills is going to do the trick.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-03-23 06:12:28
Link | Quote | Reply

THE FIEND IS EXTREMELY VULNERABLE TO LIGHT BLUE MAGIC.

*Prothescar looks at the 10,000 other melee bouncing hate*

*** me.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2012-03-23 06:15:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless they severely nerf their mega NM's, then reduced temps = less wins. They think we're procing to cap lights, capping lights is easy, we're procing to restore fanatics and stop the aoe spam of death.
 Quetzalcoatl.Mitosis
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: xMitosisx
By Quetzalcoatl.Mitosis 2012-03-23 06:16:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Sylow said: »
The only other option would be to make each weakness category(e.g. Fire blue magic, Dancer job abilities, great axe weaponskills) have only one, unresistable weakness.

As it stands you can rarely strategically strike a weakness because you don't know which of your 5 spells or 10 weapon skills is going to do the trick.

Agreed, sir. Situation: A few members got themselves killed, and things are starting to take a turn for the worse. For whatever reason the only known proc is NQ GA, or something silly. Most people are out of temps, and you need to stall so people can recover. (I hope for the love of god this is never the case, except perhaps at Rex)

Strategically, the best thing to do would be to force HQ proc with the GA, but Mr. Big-bad is spamming AoE and you have 3 seconds left on your Fana...

Luck =/= strategy
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-03-23 06:17:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I just don't see how the same development team that made Botulus Rex and Ig-Alima can on say they want to make VW fights not reliant on temporary items with a clear conscience.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-03-23 06:17:48
Link | Quote | Reply

They outsourced to the Dark Souls dev team.

Ig and Botulus are literally impossible without temps. Even Perfect Defense would not guarantee a win unless you have some sort of *** up SMN rotation going on.
 Asura.Werdxi
Server: Asura
user: drewxi
By Asura.Werdxi 2012-03-23 07:54:06
Link | Quote | Reply

so....are they just abolishing the ability to increase the drop rate of items then? i mean i already dont get anything, so making us not get lights to increase those drops means i might as well not even try.
 Odin.Tsuneo
Server: Odin
user: Tsuneo
By Odin.Tsuneo 2012-03-23 07:56:49
Link | Quote | Reply

From what I've gathered, this only applies to the final chapter. I'd hope they wouldn't remove the ability to increase the drop rate and make the drop the rate as bad as current Voidwatch.
 Remora.Brain
Server: Remora
user: Arucaurd
By Remora.Brain 2012-03-23 08:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Camate said something about them wanting to start fights off with capped ruby/blue so smaller groups wouldn't have to worry about procing for drops, but instead for battle strategy. Now they've added a change to the VW finale.

Also, those of you saying you're increasing your drop rate by building lights are silly. Anything less than 500% light is just decreasing your drop rate. Removing lights linking to drop rates would be an upgrade.
 Shiva.Karmessurma
Server: Shiva
user: Decadence
By Shiva.Karmessurma 2012-03-23 08:26:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Balance is like a penis, and SE loves to stroke it.
By Chyula 2012-03-23 09:15:44
Link | Quote | Reply

its their own fault for not playing with bigger numbers, just have to increase that HP and the AoE spam will be much more manageable without the use of fanatic/fools. Look at abyss every NM spam high damage aoe and we have no problem becasue he have tons of HP, I'm not saying we should get like 4k hp but somewhere around the 2k+ range should be manageable and not breaking balance.
 Bismarck.Kyaaadaa
user: Kyaaadaa
By Bismarck.Kyaaadaa 2012-03-23 09:37:55
Link | Quote | Reply

So they're taking away Fanatic's and Fool's(?)... how the *** are you supposed to survive Rex's chainspell?
By balancing it obviously...
 Cerberus.Blackpain
Server: Cerberus
user: Rogue
By Cerberus.Blackpain 2012-03-23 09:55:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I honestly think Voidwatch is just fine the way it is now. Like someone already mentioned your generally not procing just to proc. You're procing to get the fools and fanatic temps. With that being said it's the other gimps that join your VW shouts that don't have the proper clears and temp items that hold you back. They are also the same fools that don't equip atmas nor upgrade them. You have to take a step back and look at yourself and say "have I done all that I could do to ensure a win here?". However I will say this about blue mage procs. They either need to give blue mage a 3-5 quick book change or remove it completely from voidwatch. There are too many blue mages that will not set at least 2 of each element and that holds you back. Lazy blue mages don't want to swap out thier DD spells when you have plenty of DD power already. VW is a team based effort and when other blues play that way that is selfish and not for the team at all.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-03-23 09:58:17
Link | Quote | Reply

You just need 2 blue mages to cover all blu procs. If they don't cooperate kick them. c.c
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-03-23 10:03:49
Link | Quote | Reply

...or just bring one BLU, and another proc'ing job.

If the difference between a wipe and a win is waiting 60 seconds for the BLU's timer to reset, then your alliance sucks anyway.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2012-03-23 21:20:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess we don't, lol!!
 Cerberus.Blackpain
Server: Cerberus
user: Rogue
By Cerberus.Blackpain 2012-03-24 17:17:16
Link | Quote | Reply

You're completely missing the point here. What I'm saying is on the freak instances where it is alot of blue procs back to back and you are killing lets say Rex Or Ig and you do happen to have that one said dumbass of a blue mage then yes that is a problem and no its not the alliance fault its the blue mage cause you can't proc to get your temps back.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2012-03-24 17:20:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
THE FIEND IS EXTREMELY VULNERABLE TO LIGHT BLUE MAGIC.

*Prothescar looks at the 10,000 other melee bouncing hate*

*** me.

this this this
[+]
 Valefor.Rancor
user: Rancoor
By Valefor.Rancor 2012-03-24 17:28:35
Link | Quote | Reply

To stop the "Need" for temps all they have to do is lift the time limit X.x
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-03-24 17:32:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Blackpain said: »
You're completely missing the point here. What I'm saying is on the freak instances where it is alot of blue procs back to back and you are killing lets say Rex Or Ig and you do happen to have that one said dumbass of a blue mage then yes that is a problem and no its not the alliance fault its the blue mage cause you can't proc to get your temps back.

If it's HQ you only do one at a time, I mean, what's the point to proc a HQ back to back and waste temps? It's actually better to spread them apart so you can recharge temps after ppl used it.

And if it's rex it's better to just proc during 2hr.....that means 1 min downtime isn't a big deal at all even if there are 3 HQ/EV BLU proc up.

It's better to find an HQ hint after popping rex, if it's BLU HQ you have more than 1 min for him to finish 2hr, enough to set all spell of that element. And 2nd HQ should be done around 30~40% to recharge temp, so still time to reset.
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
Server: Carbuncle
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2012-03-24 18:21:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Rancor said: »
To stop the "Need" for temps all they have to do is lift the time limit X.x
Removing stupid ***like 5 second doom would be nice too
[+]