Random Question Thread (FFXI Related)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Random Question thread (FFXI related)
Random Question thread (FFXI related)
First Page 2 3 ... 679 680 681 ... 831 832 833
By Pantafernando 2020-12-01 17:38:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember back then trying to remote access my pc through an app so i could play during work without being noticed.

Without entering a discussing about how questionable is this, i remember that, while this remote access do worked, it wasnt reliable, dropping/laging from time to time as technically you would need to stream your own video to have access to your monitor info so in the end, i just gave up the idea. But this episode should have happened like 6 years ago, probably nowaday there are better remote access apps and surely the internet got more robust due to how popular is netflix and such nowaday.

After i gave up this idea, i invested in a windows tablet, a surface pro 2, where i could run one instance of FFXI pretty well even with the many limitations of that equipment. Surely nowaday there should be better tablets, cheaper. If it runs windows, probably you can install ffxi like a notepad/desktop. I would even try to install it directly nowaday on my cellphone, i sure some of them should be capable of running it like normal.

Now, back to present, my best approach was, instead of trying to effectivelly playing during work time, learning a bit of programming so o could just let my game run boring stuffs while im away. Stuffs like farming stacks of mats for synths, farming a lotto NM, farming mobs for some magian trials, farming cash, etc.
[+]
 Cpu
By Cpu 2020-12-01 17:52:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
I remember back then trying to remote access my pc through an app so i could play during work without being noticed.

Without entering a discussing about how questionable is this, i remember that, while this remote access do worked, it wasnt reliable, dropping/laging from time to time as technically you would need to stream your own video to have access to your monitor info so in the end, i just gave up the idea. But this episode should have happened like 6 years ago, probably nowaday there are better remote access apps and surely the internet got more robust due to how popular is netflix and such nowaday.

After i gave up this idea, i invested in a windows tablet, a surface pro 2, where i could run one instance of FFXI pretty well even with the many limitations of that equipment. Surely nowaday there should be better tablets, cheaper. If it runs windows, probably you can install ffxi like a notepad/desktop. I would even try to install it directly nowaday on my cellphone, i sure some of them should be capable of running it like normal.

Now, back to present, my best approach was, instead of trying to effectivelly playing during work time, learning a bit of programming so o could just let my game run boring stuffs while im away. Stuffs like farming stacks of mats for synths, farming a lotto NM, farming mobs for some magian trials, farming cash, etc.
Remote desktop for this is a terrible idea. Your IT department (if one even exists) is probably only actively monitoring 3 aspects of your network traffic: the IP addresses that your computer is connecting to, the ports that are being used, and the overall bandwidth that is being used.

A remote desktop session that is streaming constantly changing video is going to use a relatively large amount of bandwitdth, so that would be a nice big red flag. A default port used for remote desktoping is probably also going to be red flagged, because why the *** would you be doing that? Obviously the ports can be manually changed but if you're using default configurations then it's flaggable. VPNs also have the potential to be red flagged if the IP addresses being used are in a static range and subject to some kind of subscribable list.

Using your phone's hotspot would bypass basically all of this because it literally can't monitored without hardware/software in place to constantly scan for unexpected Wifi networks and even then the only thing that they can monitor is that the network exists and *maybe* that a device connected to it has created some amount of network traffic.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-12-01 18:16:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, thats pretty much a given, using cellphone internet. I wouldnt even consider using the work internet. I just was focusing the aspect he mentioned of not exposing to his coworkers/boss that he wasnt working but playing.

Also because most companies corporative internet has restrictions to many websites like youtube, facebook, probably anything not strictely related to the work can be blocked.
 Asura.Tawhoya
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2020-12-02 10:30:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you for the answers. I might take your advice on looking into a tablet to run it instead... that would be a lot easier to move as well. I spoke with the IT guy here about it and he told me that it would be blocked due to the amount of bandwidth anyway.

To answer the "Do your job" posts, this is incredibly easy to monitor them and play games... I play a few mobile games on my phone most of the time I'm here anyway, and wouldn't be doing events or anything, just basic crap like farming or cp... things that I can walk away from at a moment's notice. Damn, I just realized that this is the way that I play at home too... I just depressed myself.
 Shiva.Kasaioni
Server: Shiva
user: Kasaioni
By Shiva.Kasaioni 2020-12-02 22:05:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Can Delegate's Garb/Cuffs not be stored with a porter moogle?
By Ryanginger 2020-12-02 22:21:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Kasaioni said: »
Can Delegate's Garb/Cuffs not be stored with a porter moogle?

Trade the item to a Porter Moogle. If it can be stored, the Moogle will mention which slip number.
 Shiva.Kasaioni
By Shiva.Kasaioni 2020-12-03 01:17:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Forgot about that.
By Pantafernando 2020-12-03 02:37:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Normally i check on BG page as they mention if some item can be stored in porter or no.

Those 2 items have no mention of being stored. So, i guess its a forever inv-1 (at least the body can be used as a temporary solution when warp ring is down though not worth anyway).

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-12-03 19:26:39
Link | Quote | Reply

March 19'

https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/55176-March.-11-2019-%28JST%29-Version-Update

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Kasaioni
By Shiva.Kasaioni 2020-12-03 21:51:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Normally i check on BG page as they mention if some item can be stored in porter or no.

Those 2 items have no mention of being stored. So, i guess its a forever inv-1 (at least the body can be used as a temporary solution when warp ring is down though not worth anyway).
You can't store the gloves either. Inv -2. Really feels like something you should be able to store.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-12-04 01:41:52
Link | Quote | Reply

There's multiple of those items that you can't store.
The three staves you get from WotG for instance, and several more.
You can't send them to same-account characters either.
It's really annoying...
By Pantafernando 2020-12-04 07:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

But do notice that certain items can be retrieved, even paying some fee to npc.

For example, I remember reading in a JP site that erudition necklace can be retrieve if you pay a certain amount of bayld. That is, you can just toss it, and if eventually there is a use for them, you can pay the fee and get it back.

More expensive than a storage, but most likely you wont need it anytime anyway.
By SimonSes 2020-12-04 07:41:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats very nice description of using bots :)
[+]
By Morihei 2020-12-04 10:19:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, I'm coming back from being gone a few months. They really hyped up November, but I'm more excited for December events. Did I miss something? Was it just the Nomad Bonanza that they were hyping?
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-12-04 10:24:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Morihei said: »
Sorry, I'm coming back from being gone a few months. They really hyped up November, but I'm more excited for December events. Did I miss something? Was it just the Nomad Bonanza that they were hyping?

lots of broken promises of content to be released and then postponed.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-12-04 22:25:53
Link | Quote | Reply

iirc that starts a week(ish) later when the starlight festival begins

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-12-04 22:37:14
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Starlight_Celebration_Guide

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ringoko
Server: Bismarck
user: appleboy
By Bismarck.Ringoko 2020-12-06 13:55:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there a way to show weapons in Altana Viewer without having a character model present in the viewing area?
By FaeQueenCory 2020-12-06 15:24:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ringoko said: »
Is there a way to show weapons in Altana Viewer without having a character model present in the viewing area?
Yes. but also no.
Once you know that dat location, you can put that in a txt in the NPC lists, add the name of that txt file to the main txt file that serves as the TOC for that folder in the viewer.

However the models will often get crunched, and not render properly without the required character's skeletons.
This is most observable with armors, but ranged weapons likewise get scrunched. Usually your mainhand weapons and shields will display without error, but sometimes they too don't display right without the right skeleton attached.
 Bismarck.Ringoko
Server: Bismarck
user: appleboy
By Bismarck.Ringoko 2020-12-06 16:06:54
Link | Quote | Reply

FaeQueenCory said: »
Bismarck.Ringoko said: »
Yes. but also no.
Once you know that dat location, you can put that in a txt in the NPC lists, add the name of that txt file to the main txt file that serves as the TOC for that folder in the viewer.

However the models will often get crunched, and not render properly without the required character's skeletons.
This is most observable with armors, but ranged weapons likewise get scrunched. Usually your mainhand weapons and shields will display without error, but sometimes they too don't display right without the right skeleton attached.

Worked perfectly, thank you.
By DaneBlood 2020-12-06 22:06:46
Link | Quote | Reply

just returned to the games
i have 3 dagger on theif

- aneas R1
- twashstar R14
- tamming sari dmg+13 str+8 dex+9

Which combo is the general optimal for DPS
By Crossbones 2020-12-06 23:05:13
Link | Quote | Reply

You can make the tp bonus dagger from the magian trials in a day or two which grants 1k tp bonus. Twash/centovente is a strong option and potentially the highest dps combo in certain situations. The biggest downside is it isn't ilvl so misses out on about 250 acc but thf had a lot of acc in their sets so it isn't an issue generally. Rudras scales really well with tp and is generally weak at 1k, so the more tp you ws at the better. Outside of tp bonus dagger if you just wanna spam as fast as possible aeneas/twash is the way to go, and also allows you some nice multi step options. If you're planning to ws at higher tp thresholds for whatever reason twash/sari.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
By Rips 2020-12-10 03:08:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I wanted to know what everyone does on their AMAN Troves regarding Noise/Thud/Loud Thud.

When I get to 5 Noises, I'm very tempted to open. Sometimes I do.

If I go in and get a thud first, I open. And of course, if I get a loud thud, I open right away.

I'm curious if people stop on a certain amount of noises as my inner gambler really struggles with this.
First Page 2 3 ... 679 680 681 ... 831 832 833