Dual Boxing Shinryu Tips?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Abyssea » Dual boxing Shinryu tips?
Dual boxing Shinryu tips?
 Asura.Mekaider
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Jynxy
By Asura.Mekaider 2011-12-11 00:01:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey folks~

Been duo boxing shin all night, like literally, it's 6am now lol.

Been successful only once and that high kinda got me hooked. Got blue, no decent drop, obviously.

Been using vere mnk/war and whm/rdm. MNK's gear is best in slot, every slot. My whm, not so much but it's got wivre hairpin, +1 legs for recovery, serp set, +1 body.

Now my only problem with shin that seems to get me killed, ALOT, is draw in, which i really can't help after it does the dive tp move that has enmity reset. I tried using drink for pax, voking immedietly etc, sticking to Cure V. It's just lethal.

Bought all mp meds from cruor prospector cause mp a real issue for me, just about make it through with the mp though. I can't use MDT/PDT sets on mnk which is a problem cause i'm not quick enough on cures otherwise.

MNK's atma is SS/RR/Apoc; WHM is MM/Allure/Perfect attendance (which is 5mp like stormbird but also 1 tick regain which i use Chyro. Torque and get an extra mp/tick).

Just wondering if anyone has any good hints? I just can't survive the draw in under 33% with protostar and what not.

Edit: Without brew, i have done it w/o brew straight up but it's hard, wondering if anyone had any good tips.
By mortontony1 2011-12-11 00:04:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Mekaider said: »
words

[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Crystalchan
Leonardo da Clippi
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Crystalchan 2011-12-11 00:09:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to do it on THF/SAM and WHM/RDM I think. Went there early before piercing time, put on regain atmas until I was at 300tp, then switched to edge atmas and have Apoc on both characters.

Went inside at piercing time, sekka'd and did two dagger blue procs, hopefully find out if it's dagger. If it was archery/marks/pole I would run over to the entrance and die. RR, unweaken, meditate, etc, run in and hopefully get a dagger hint. If it was dagger I would pop my brew, do everything super fast because of the regain and kill shinryu in two edges and have plenty of time left over.

That way I had TH and hopefully blue proc and my WHM mule(she was pretty gimp, only refresh atma was MM) could keep me alive until I knew if it was dagger proc or not.
But I guess this is if you're going the brew route
[+]
 Asura.Mekaider
By Asura.Mekaider 2011-12-11 00:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Crystalchan said: »
I used to do it on THF/SAM and WHM/RDM I think. Went there early before piercing time, put on regain atmas until I was at 300tp, then switched to edge atmas and have Apoc on both characters.

Went inside at piercing time, sekka'd and did two dagger blue procs, hopefully find out if it's dagger. If it was archery/marks/pole I would run over to the entrance and die. RR, unweaken, meditate, etc, run in and hopefully get a dagger hint. If it was dagger I would pop my brew, do everything super fast because of the regain and kill shinryu in two edges and have plenty of time left over.

That way I had TH and hopefully blue proc and my WHM mule(she was pretty gimp, only refresh atma was MM) could keep me alive until I knew if it was dagger proc or not.
But I guess this is if you're going the brew route

I appreciate the input. However i am indeed looking to be able to spam it successfully w/o having to rely on a brew.
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-12-11 00:21:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Your weakness is the fact that you are dual boxing, really. Being unable to operate two characters at once is only remedied by adding another operator. Besides that, all you can do is increase the efficiency of each unit, like your WHM's gear, and maybe mess around on your MNK atmas, to decrease the likely hood of a draw-in.
[+]
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2011-12-11 00:22:42
Link | Quote | Reply

MNK WHM seems pretty perfect for duo. I think draw-in is based on enmity, I never been drawn in unless I was cure bombing. Since you are using SS on MNK, MM/allure on WHM, not sure what you can do about enmity. I like to abuse regen IV on Shin to minimize VE. If killspeed doesn't seem to be a problem you should try some more conservative atmas. Could try swapping Apoc with Future Fabulous or HP+30%.
[+]
 Asura.Mekaider
By Asura.Mekaider 2011-12-11 00:26:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Your weakness is the fact that you are dual boxing, really. Being unable to operate two characters at once is only remedied by adding another operator. Besides that, all you can do is increase the efficiency of each unit, like your WHM's gear, and maybe mess around on your MNK atmas, to decrease the likely hood of a draw-in.
Fenrir.Skadoosh said: »
MNK WHM seems pretty perfect for duo. I think draw-in is based on enmity, I never been drawn in unless I was cure bombing. Since you are using SS on MNK, MM/allure on WHM, not sure what you can do about enmity. I like to abuse regen IV on Shin to minimize VE. If killspeed doesn't seem to be a problem you should try some more conservative atmas. Could try swapping Apoc with Future Fabulous or HP+30%.

hmmmm, yeah, that's actually quite a good idea with swapping apoc out. I checked the logs of the mnk on my laptop and 1 time i got it to 33% in just over 3 minutes. Usually takes about 8 to kill cause i can't turn mnk much when he starts absorbing dmg.

Draw in is based on enmity, yes. Enmity from cures alone isn't the problem, it's when he uses the dive tp move (idr name) that's also a hate reset of target. That's what keeps killing me.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-12-11 00:29:44
Link | Quote | Reply

If Allure doesn't help, use MM/Stormbird/Ambition. That extra 5 MP/tick will make more difference than the extra MP pool.
[+]
 Asura.Mekaider
By Asura.Mekaider 2011-12-11 00:32:38
Link | Quote | Reply

If Allure doesn't help, use MM/Stormbird/Ambition. That extra 5 MP/tick will make more difference than the extra MP pool.

Hmmm, i never really considered that, ima try that out. I just don't see going from 22mp/tick to 27 worth the hit of like, 700 mp. Being elvaan my base mp is pretty pathetic w/o allure. Think it'll be somewhere round 1k not counting cruor buffs cause my RDM sits on 1.2kmp outside abyssea with alot of convert gear.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-12-11 00:34:14
Link | Quote | Reply

5 MP / 3 seconds over 3 minutes = 300 MP. The longer the fight, the more benefit it has.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
user: Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2011-12-11 00:35:31
Link | Quote | Reply

you can shout for a thf, and have them collaborator the whm when hate gets reset

im sure theres quite a few thfs out there lookin for atleast something other than the mail
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-12-11 00:37:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Won't solve the issue. Draw in would still happen since the THF can't accomplice AND be next to Shinryu within the moment hate is reset.
[+]
 Asura.Mekaider
By Asura.Mekaider 2011-12-11 00:46:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn said: »
you can shout for a thf, and have them collaborator the whm when hate gets reset

im sure theres quite a few thfs out there lookin for atleast something other than the mail
Won't solve the issue. Draw in would still happen since the THF can't accomplice AND be next to Shinryu within the moment hate is reset.

Yeah it doesn't work at all. For the later fights i had a ls member with me on thf for TH and he wanted some drops.
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-12-11 01:26:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Get an aegis.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-12-11 02:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't rate you down, but I would if I could. A lot.
[+]
By Fupafighters 2011-12-11 02:55:32
Link | Quote | Reply

You should try whm/sch lol.... Unless thats too hard dualbox. I do it though.
 Fenrir.Kut
user: Kutsurabi
By Fenrir.Kut 2011-12-11 02:56:08
Link | Quote | Reply

The fight is pretty straight forward, as far as dual boxing it without brew goes. Red Curry Buns, Auspice, Haste, Shell, Pro, and proc it, Getting it to ~35% should be pretty easy and straight forward. For the MDT, you can just TP in Twilight/DarkRings/Merman's Earring. It really isn't a huge hit to your damage and if your problem is dying and running out of MP I'm sure you can make the sacrifice.

MP can be an issue on this, I would suggest finishing the +2 legs head and body. They're not too difficult to complete but mean the world in this situation.

Your WHM will probably get drawn in or take damage every often, if you use Spellcast(which you should) make an idle set with Terra's/Dark Ring/Cheviot Cape/Twilight Torque/your refresh gear. The damage mitigation makes being drawn in not so much of a big deal, in fact your WHM will be able to hold most NMs without dying if you do use a PDT idle set.

Now, for the last 35% you'll want to 'zerg' it. Turn your MNK around and sit tight in PDT gear and just take hits for a while until Shinryu gets a FRESH 'Wings in' mode so you don't heal him while he's using his worst TP moves in his 0%-33% phase. Once it's wings go in, pop Impetus/Zerk/etc. + Stalwart's and whatever screens you need (Doom and one more I think...) and just take him down. It should only take around a minute or 2 to take him from 35% to 0, and that's as long as you have until screens wear off.

I hope I explained it well enough, it's pretty late so please excuse any incoherency. Best of luck to you!
[+]
 Leviathan.Snakeslice
Server: Leviathan
user: neavep
By Leviathan.Snakeslice 2011-12-11 03:06:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah it doesn't work at all. For the later fights i had a ls member with me on thf for TH and he wanted some drops.

Have the thf constantly colab the mnk so that when the monk DOES lose hate, the thf is the one with hate and not the whm. And by colabing the mnk, this allows you to stay next to shin. Mnk should have no problem keeping hate even with thf stealing some.
 Fenrir.Kut
user: Kutsurabi
By Fenrir.Kut 2011-12-11 03:19:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Snakeslice said: »

Have the thf constantly colab the mnk so that when the monk DOES lose hate, the thf is the one with hate and not the whm. And by colabing the mnk, this allows you to stay next to shin. Mnk should have no problem keeping hate even with thf stealing some.

Does Shinryu only draw in when the WHM's enmity level exceeds that of the MNK's? I know there is a party draw-in, in which all this enmity discussion is pretty null and void, but for the single target draw in, I don't believe that only the person with the highest amount of enmity gets drawn in. How often do you see a WHM pull hate off a MNK? The MNK's hate may be decaying more than usual since he's getting hit more often due to lack of counters, but even on Ironclads, when has a WHM pulled hate from a MNK besides the post-Ballistic Kick happenings? I haven't seen it before.

If this is an issue with WHM getting hate while MNK is proccing Club/Staff, you would need to cap those skills or just get stronger weapons than the ones you may be using now.

Now... I'm not saying that enmity has nothing to do with it, but the fact that (I think) it still draws in people despite whoever has the highest hate level means that any suggestion of lowering/coping with enmity is going to be a fairly useless tact and more trouble than it's worth, especially in a duo/dualbox situation.

In this scenario, it would be better to learn how to cope than to avoid.
 Bahamut.Atoreis
Server: Bahamut
user: Atoreis
By Bahamut.Atoreis 2011-12-11 04:24:58
Link | Quote | Reply

WHM gets hate because Cataclysm Vortex is hate reset on every target it hits which usually is MNK and not WHM. I done around 150 shinryu and best strategy is just cure MNK after cataclysm and macro PDT and let MNK get hate back before you run away. Note that MNK should switch to h2h after every cataclysm and make solid hate before switching back to stagger weapon. Unless your WHM is a solid one and for example Elvaan or Galka and there is no problem for him to just stand in AoE range and have hate reset too which helps a lot. My WHM is just a mule Taru so I need to use first method which can be pretty problematic if you have no TP for WS and it will do Mighty guard > Vortex and you wont be able to take hate back on MNK.'

When I read your post better I see your WHM is actually an Elvaan. If you have decent number of HP abyssites I would just stand in AoE range and Curaga V after every Vortex.
 Quetzalcoatl.Pyroelf
user: Pyroelf
By Quetzalcoatl.Pyroelf 2011-12-11 04:30:35
Link | Quote | Reply

ok, I don't know my friend's exact setup, but an alternative you can do to your WHM until MNK gets hate back is to have a "tank" gear set for whm. Whm actually has a decent selection of "OMGINEEDTOLIVE" gear available to them, as well as the fact if they /rdm they can throw phalanx with stoneskin. I had a friend, back during level 90 cap, who actually managed to TANK shinryu for a while as a WHM until their pld unweakened. Dunno how they did it, or what setup they used, but it IS an option you can consider.
 Bahamut.Atoreis
Server: Bahamut
user: Atoreis
By Bahamut.Atoreis 2011-12-11 04:36:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Pyroelf said: »
ok, I don't know my friend's exact setup, but an alternative you can do to your WHM until MNK gets hate back is to have a "tank" gear set for whm. Whm actually has a decent selection of "OMGINEEDTOLIVE" gear available to them, as well as the fact if they /rdm they can throw phalanx with stoneskin. I had a friend, back during level 90 cap, who actually managed to TANK shinryu for a while as a WHM until their pld unweakened. Dunno how they did it, or what setup they used, but it IS an option you can consider.

What you mean how he did it?

Ppl in 2011 still doesnt know that there is pretty much no difference in taking damage on MNK and WHM (in fight like Shinryu) if you have same amount of PDT and MDT?
Just stand there in 50% PDT and switch to 50%MDT for spells and cast cure IV a lot lol. Holding on WHM is much much easier then tanking on MNK (obviously assuming none beside WHM is on target so none will take hate off him).
[+]
By Brolli 2011-12-11 07:28:51
Link | Quote | Reply

go whm/sch /rdm will take a lot of mp from cure5/6 spam even if you have 26+mp tics, convert doesn't cut it
 Shiva.Mohit
Server: Shiva
user: Mohit
By Shiva.Mohit 2011-12-14 12:04:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Is shinryu's hits considered physical? They go through shadows, you can't proc during his melee hits. Is a -PDT set even needed?
 Shiva.Mohit
Server: Shiva
user: Mohit
By Shiva.Mohit 2011-12-21 10:48:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I decided what the hell, I'll dual box shinryu like some have suggested with an Aegis. He really can't kill an Aegis pld. I accidentally locked out my whm mule. With meds, I solo'd @99 for 30m. I couldn't seem to kill him though. My CDC set is a bit weak but it is getting better.

I used Apoc/Sea Daughter/RR

Maybe I would of solo'd him fully with temp meds if he hadn't spammed mighty guard.