Forum » FFXI » General » POL Viewer Crash: New PC
POL Viewer Crash: New PC
 Titan.Xanakali
Server: Titan
Game: FFXI
user: Xanakali
By Titan.Xanakali 2009-04-29 08:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I was wondering if anyone knows a fix for this problem...

I recently purchased a new PC. The PC is running Vista-64bit and has a Geforece 925 VGA. The 925 is a two-in-one card so essentially it is running in SLi at all times.

The POL viewer has about a ~30% chance of crashing to BSOD when the window gains or loses focus. I have a hunch it has to do with the cursor that the viewer uses. At any rate I'm looking for a fix to this problem, or at least the assurance that once I do the 7 hour patch process FFXI will not have the same issue.

I have tried running it as admin, as well as in XP compatibility mode with no luck.
 Asura.Icon
Server: Asura
user: ic0n67
By Asura.Icon 2009-04-29 08:26:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Never had that problem with Vista before. Probably the file check is your best first option here. Something might be a little off. First I'd scan disk and defrag then run the POL file checker.
 Titan.Xanakali
By Titan.Xanakali 2009-04-29 08:28:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Icon said:
Never had that problem with Vista before. Probably the file check is your best first option here. Something might be a little off. First I'd scan disk and defrag then run the POL file checker.

POL was the first and only thing installed after Vista and Drivers. Defrag in most every situation is useless now-a-days, especially in this case.

Where is the POL file checker?
 Bahamut.Fyyvoaa
Server: Bahamut
user: Fyyvoaa
By Bahamut.Fyyvoaa 2009-04-29 08:31:31
Link | Quote | Reply

The only problem I have with Vista is random crashes from time to time, are you sure you got the Vista POL viewer from the playonline site?
 Titan.Xanakali
By Titan.Xanakali 2009-04-29 08:36:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Fyyvoaa said:
The only problem I have with Vista is random crashes from time to time, are you sure you got the Vista POL viewer from the playonline site?

Originally I started with the Collection disc, which I thought may have it. I later downloaded and used the "Vista" one off of the POL site with no effect.
 Bahamut.Fyyvoaa
By Bahamut.Fyyvoaa 2009-04-29 08:41:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Xanakali said:
Fyyvoaa said:

Originally I started with the Collection disc, which I thought may have it. I later downloaded and used the "Vista" one off of the POL site with no effect.

Hmm, odd.

Have you updated all your drivers? (Graphics, sound) and downloaded latest software packages (DirectX etc...)
 Titan.Xanakali
By Titan.Xanakali 2009-04-29 08:58:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Fyyvoaa said:
Xanakali said:
Fyyvoaa said:

Hmm, odd.

Have you updated all your drivers? (Graphics, sound) and downloaded latest software packages (DirectX etc...)

Newest drivers were installed 2 days ago for everything.
FFXI is several years old, and even very out dated drivers should have support for it. POL viewer is the only app that is causing instability atm, so I doubt its a global issue.

Crysis runs at maximum settings at ~60fps average, if that doesn't kill the graphics card and POL Viewer does I doubt its my drivers. -- Unless the drivers are too new to support it?
Server: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2009-04-29 09:08:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I doubt its your drivers as i play FFXI on mac and somehow it works.
 Bahamut.Fyyvoaa
By Bahamut.Fyyvoaa 2009-04-29 09:10:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Xanakali said:
Fyyvoaa said:
Xanakali said:
Fyyvoaa said:

Hmm, odd.

FFXI is several years old, and even very out dated drivers should have support for it. POL viewer is the only app that is causing instability atm, so I doubt its a global issue.

Crysis runs at maximum settings at ~60fps average, if that doesn't kill the graphics card and POL Viewer does I doubt its my drivers. -- Unless the drivers are too new to support it?

That would be the first time I have seen that happen.

The issue may not be with drivers, but with the fact that you are on a 64bit Vista OS (while I am not 100% sure even about that)

Does it give any specific error code at the time of the crash or just it just close out with no error box?
 Titan.Xanakali
By Titan.Xanakali 2009-04-29 09:20:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Fyyvoaa said:
Xanakali said:
Fyyvoaa said:
Xanakali said:
Fyyvoaa said:

Hmm, odd.

That would be the first time I have seen that happen.

The issue may not be with drivers, but with the fact that you are on a 64bit Vista OS (while I am not 100% sure even about that)

Does it give any specific error code at the time of the crash or just it just close out with no error box?

Actually the video hangs for several seconds with the classic looping audio, then it BSODs. The BSOD error in eventviewer simply says that it stopped responding.

If this was the only game I've played I would suspect a Video card error, but again Crysis plays just fine. (Sorry to keep plugging Crysis, its the only other thing I've installed)
 Phoenix.Azuzu
Server: Phoenix
user: Azuzu
By Phoenix.Azuzu 2009-04-29 09:39:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Simple fix. i had this problem. right click the icon and then click on the "Run as administrator" option. you wont be crashing
 Titan.Xanakali
By Titan.Xanakali 2009-04-29 10:51:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Azuzu said:
Simple fix. i had this problem. right click the icon and then click on the "Run as administrator" option. you wont be crashing

As I said in the original post, I have tried this several times.
Odd that this fixed it for you... did you do anything else in addition to running as admin?
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-04-29 10:57:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Xanakali said:
Icon said:

POL was the first and only thing installed after Vista and Drivers. Defrag in most every situation is useless now-a-days, especially in this case.

Where is the POL file checker?

That could have been an issue there, did you make sure you update the pc from windows update before u installed the pol viewer? I had issues with programs when I installed it first before the updates and id have to redo the pc again. You may have to try to uninstall and try again. try it in safe mode i guess

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Titan.Xanakali
By Titan.Xanakali 2009-04-29 18:55:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Alyria said:

That could have been an issue there, did you make sure you update the pc from windows update before u installed the pol viewer?

First time no, Second time, yes.

Mabrook said:

PC since FFXI alone is enough work on the PC so maybe your PC boots you out of POL cuz it is overloading the PC with too much ***?

I have 6 gb of ram, a GeForce295, and effectively 8 processors. I can run the most demanding game on the market on the highest settings without breaking a sweat. FFXI takes up less resources than Vista. To check for conflicts between programs however, I have ran only POL viewer just to check, with no success.