Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Voidwatch » Voidwatch 101
Voidwatch 101
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-10-26 11:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Forgive me for being naive. I'm still behind on content due to the fact that our set is broken into 2 time zones, and we're all on a collective 2 hours simultaniously (and only 2-3 times a week at that).

We are getting prepared for starting voidwatch. I've done the occ shout run for Uptala or Akvan but on the whole I'm pretty clueless. Can i get some pointers on things in the week or two leading up to us starting?

My basic concern is this: Can we clear a majority of the tier 1's and 2's with only 4? We had a paladin but he's been MIA for 2-3 weeks so it would be nin/thf/mnk for a tank. Obviously we can just shout group the tier 3's and that concept I understand, but I was more curious to how easily/quickly we can progess through the tier up stage without outside help.

Can I get any additional pointers/info? I'm still tricky on what staggers work etc. I was DRG the other day and got "drg JA" as a hint. Doing jump, high jump, super jump, angon, and smiting breath, I couldn't seem to get the stagger. We had capped stagger influence (or so I'm told) but it was the first time it was something that I could actually do and I was excited to be involved. Was I wasting recast to not skip straight to spirit and soul jumps? I can't find anything online about what does or does not count for staggers. I've heard conflicting opinions on whether relic ws work/dont etc etc etc. Basically, any help is appreciated!

Thanks for putting up with my wall of text and my confusion :D
 Bahamut.Kujah
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Kujah 2011-10-26 11:26:14
Link | Quote | Reply

City T1s and T2s are mostly OK, with the exception of the T2 sandy Krab, normally a zerged fight from 50% onwards with CSS to avoid Venom Shower ownage. Might have some issues with hate resets on the Antlion and Blobs as well under 50%, although the antlion can be solo pinned by BLM.

Also, refer to this - Voidwatch Staggers
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ahiyam
user: Ahiyam
By Ragnarok.Ahiyam 2011-10-26 11:27:09
Link | Quote | Reply

u can do some of the t1-2's in the starter cty's /w a low man group np and some nm's nin or mnk works better tanking than pld but once u get to the t3-4's u should /sh for it and the same goes for all the tiers 1-3 in zilart and jueno b/c the nm's are just that much more of a pain in the ***/higher lvl

here is the best spot for VW info that i use all the time gl!

http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Voidwatch

and here is the stagger list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&key=0Au2a1TIiTj8WdHlvTWtkdU5DRU1JU21fbEtLUjN1TkE&hl=en_US&gid=0
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-10-26 12:06:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice ^^ I have read bg's wiki on voidwatch/staggers/atmacites etc but I just wanted more "anecdotal" information.

Those stagger lists are what I had in mind. I think I might just be bad at "sifting through the wiki" (and it's hard to do at work when I do a majority of my browsing).

You can't lowman jeuno low-tiers? Are they that bad?

Thanks for all the input ^^
 Bahamut.Kujah
By Bahamut.Kujah 2011-10-26 12:21:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Jeuno is more of a pain given higher level mobs and larger HP pools means lowman groups can run into time constraints. Goji can be solo'd near one of his rifts in sauromugue present.

In terms of staggering with JAs, basically if it can be used on a mob then it might be a proc, from my experience. Obvious staggers (Sam JA etc) should always be used when mob is using a tp/casting to ensure 30s stagger and fully refreshed temps if you have those KIs.

Normally a good idea to keep staggering as well, even if everything is capped, 30s of a mob doing nothing is always nice.

I lead a VW shell on Baha atm Ash, so can PM any further questions if you need ^^
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-10-26 13:02:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kujah said: »
I lead a VW shell on Baha atm Ash, so can PM any further questions if you need ^^

I'd love it if you could re-locate your army of tarus to Rag (clever name btw). I can do voidwatch AND snack at the same time ^^. Bring Raenryong with you while you're at it.

Seriously, thanks for the help guys. I'd rather get educated a bit with feedback and not just the info I can find. I had too many times I took the "easily solo'ed by xy/yx" testimonial and got cocky so I try to educate myself as much as possible before the new endeavor.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-10-27 07:42:36
Link | Quote | Reply

and one of the urials*
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2011-10-27 07:46:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I solo'd Akvan as WAR/WHM using PDT/MDT set Ash. You should go try it :D
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-10-27 08:54:10
Link | Quote | Reply

BUTTERSHEEEEEEEEEEEP

I was thinking of doing it sam/dnc. It would be really intimidating for him to have my overwhelm all up in his eye.
 Ragnarok.Nekonarf
By Ragnarok.Nekonarf 2011-10-27 09:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Each mob pops with 12 NQ staggers and 4 HQ staggers, they are split evenly between Magic and JA/WS.

Like abyssea you will be told what element when you cast a spell or what weapon skill type when you perform a JA or WS, you do not know which WS you need to use so you have to cycle through your list and hope to get lucky.

If you're new I suggest getting your temp items first before you look to make any serious progress they will aid you far better then anything else, that being; T1 Zilart VNM x2 T1 San d'Oria, T2 Bastok.

Even if you can't do the Zilart, the temp items from Sandy and Bastok will provide you more support then you could ever imagine, fanatics drink, fools drink, and dusty wing are immensely broken when you are hitting stagger after stagger after stagger letting you zerg a mob down.
 Bismarck.Eurell
Server: Bismarck
user: Eurell
By Bismarck.Eurell 2011-10-27 09:04:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I would suggest doing the Temp item mobs first. Everything becomes much easier when you have 20 something temps that you can use again after a stagger.

Edit: Beaten by a minute!

Anyone can do zilart mobs right away though, without clearing any other mobs before hand.
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-10-27 09:10:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nekonarf said: »
Each mob pops with 12 NQ staggers and 4 HQ staggers, they are split evenly between Magic and JA/WS.

Like abyssea you will be told what element when you cast a spell or what weapon skill type when you perform a JA or WS, you do not know which WS you need to use so you have to cycle through your list and hope to get lucky.

If you're new I suggest getting your temp items first before you look to make any serious progress they will aid you far better then anything else, that being; T1 Zilart VNM x2 T1 San d'Oria, T2 Bastok.

Even if you can't do the Zilart, the temp items from Sandy and Bastok will provide you more support then you could ever imagine, fanatics drink, fools drink, and dusty wing are immensely broken when you are hitting stagger after stagger after stagger letting you zerg a mob down.

6 NQ 2 HQ. Also at any given point you aren't guaranteed magic or JA/WS procs, it could be lopsided in one direction.

http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Voidwatch
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-10-27 10:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Each mob pops with 12 NQ staggers and 4 HQ staggers, they are split evenly between Magic and JA/WS. Like abyssea you will be told what element when you cast a spell or what weapon skill type when you perform a JA or WS, you do not know which WS you need to use so you have to cycle through your list and hope to get lucky. If you're new I suggest getting your temp items first before you look to make any serious progress they will aid you far better then anything else, that being; T1 Zilart VNM x2 T1 San d'Oria, T2 Bastok. Even if you can't do the Zilart, the temp items from Sandy and Bastok will provide you more support then you could ever imagine, fanatics drink, fools drink, and dusty wing are immensely broken when you are hitting stagger after stagger after stagger letting you zerg a mob down.

Did T1&2 basty last night. I seemed to only get stagger hints on ja but not on ws. is that normal? Also, I triggered 2 synchronic blitz (with chi blast and then asuran) in a row. /feltgoodman

It seems like just a pld and a mnk(or thf or w/e) on it at a time calling out staggers while everyone else stays back is safe, until capping influence anyhow.

I'd like to do the mantis just so that I have an atmacite worth upgrading (The manticore too iirc).
 Ragnarok.Nekonarf
By Ragnarok.Nekonarf 2011-10-27 13:37:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Our basic setup that usually brings in about 95% of procs is;

DD PT -
COR
WHM
DDX4

DD PT -
SCH
BLM
DDx4

Tank PT-
BRD
WHM
WHM
PLD
PLD
RDM

On any NMs that have hate reset we try and stick multiple tanks on, as well as for zilart for holding adds while we rip down the main NM, other wise 1 PLD, the only other situation I've found the need for 2 WHM with 1 tank is Kaggen cause of the need of sacrifice.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-10-27 13:42:00
Link | Quote | Reply

My setup brings all the boys to the yard.

I wanna come!!! No one ever pays me in gum. D:
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-10-28 12:45:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Are the jeunoan and sky paths seperate or intertwined as far as questlines go? On the pages I read it details the jeuno steps pretty well but it sounds a little hazy about RoZ. What I mean is that... say I complete all the T1 jeuno path. Can i progress the cutscenes for doing T2/T3 for jeuno only or do I have to do the T1 for RoZ as well?
 Bahamut.Kujah
By Bahamut.Kujah 2011-10-28 12:47:15
Link | Quote | Reply

They're separate paths.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-11-07 11:11:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I just spent a long weekend doing voidwatching in my freetime. I wanna say thanks to everyone for taking me on runs when I was missing KI's etc.

I also want to say to SE (who purportedly reads the ffxi social forums), kudos on making an event thats possible to do with all types of groups. I can't believe that shout groups pull this off without a tiny bit of drama over drops (then again ***has to drop to get drama over it :3).

Good stuff and thanks to everyone in this thread who's helped me get to the point that I can *** about not getting drops :3
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-11-07 11:19:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
I just spent a long weekend doing voidwatching in my freetime. I wanna say thanks to everyone for taking me on runs when I was missing KI's etc.

I also want to say to SE (who purportedly reads the ffxi social forums), kudos on making an event thats possible to do with all types of groups. I can't believe that shout groups pull this off without a tiny bit of drama over drops (then again ***has to drop to get drama over it :3).

Good stuff and thanks to everyone in this thread who's helped me get to the point that I can *** about not getting drops :3

It's hard to have drama over something you can't control. Really that only leaves jealousy.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-11-07 12:04:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
I just spent a long weekend doing voidwatching in my freetime. I wanna say thanks to everyone for taking me on runs when I was missing KI's etc. I also want to say to SE (who purportedly reads the ffxi social forums), kudos on making an event thats possible to do with all types of groups. I can't believe that shout groups pull this off without a tiny bit of drama over drops (then again ***has to drop to get drama over it :3). Good stuff and thanks to everyone in this thread who's helped me get to the point that I can *** about not getting drops :3
It's hard to have drama over something you can't control. Really that only leaves jealousy.

Jealousy and logs. Voidwatch: the woodworkers dream.

*edit* P.S. I told Marty, but I wanted to extend the invitation personally. Pump and I did the bastok path yesterday and we're doing more clears to catch up set members etc. If you and the fam wanna come we'd be more than happy to have you with us.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-11-07 13:57:25
Link | Quote | Reply

If I'm free or you can warn me ahead of time, I'll go with if I can as it's mostly dependent on how horrid my schedule is when you decide to go...
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-11-07 14:01:42
Link | Quote | Reply

will do! I did tell marty sunday last week but I dont know when the next shift is. Ill be sure to inform SOMEONE ;3