Anyone Still Use Windower?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Anyone still use windower?
Anyone still use windower?
 Asura.Slamm
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-04-27 18:06:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Antipika said:
Slamm said:
look how long it takes them to do other stuff like cor blu and pup af2, took a few years to add a couple pieces >.> no way that is anything other than laziness

Items are completely unrelated, that's a part of their business plan :p They don't want you to have everything right away; that's why you have to wait between jobs release and corresponding AF release, or add-ons release and quests/event release. That's also why drop rate sux in most of events, forcing you to attend several months (or even years) in order to get your items. They're just buying time by delaying release of items (such as AF) or Salvage sets... Speaking of which, how long did it take to SE to add Salvage or Ein ?

Do you really think that SE devs are paid for nothing, and just lazy, too busy playing Dissidia on their PSP instead of coding our *** :p ? They know what they're doing.

As for the auto-sort thing, well light luggage could do this too (and do more), so again it took long for SE to add this functionally just because adding something means you "forgot" something in the first place = admitting your mistakes.

Couple of days ago when magic resistance was *** up, SE didn't even admit it until the day prior the fix, while players reported it on day 1. SE just too proud and hate to say "sorry we messed up".

true to a point, of course they don't sit there and do nothing, but they hold some tasks back out of laziness.

waiting a few months b4 making something available is fine but that many years? that's gonna make people pissed.

SE didn't update windows game to direct x 9 when they said they would, why? laziness, no way it could be anything else, it can't be that hard to do and would fix some peoples pc problems making more people able to play.

and updating to have plugins more like widower = more people would play.
a lot of people don't play FF because of how long it takes to get ***because they try and make people wait too long.

also the update system would be a lot faster if files were compressed then decompressed when they arrived on your pc, but they haven't coded that.

SE devs prolly working on other projects more and why the laziness when it comes to ff sometimes.

but they would get more customers if they made more short events like einherjar/salvage/limbus, less new stuff with HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE drop rates, and improved the gui.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-04-27 18:08:24
Link | Quote | Reply

360 needs a windower, yo.
Call it , ughhhh...

MSdower.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-27 22:55:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Slamm said:

SE didn't update windows game to direct x 9 when they said they would, why? laziness, no way it could be anything else, it can't be that hard to do and would fix some peoples pc problems making more people able to play.

and updating to have plugins more like widower = more people would play.
a lot of people don't play FF because of how long it takes to get ***because they try and make people wait too long.

also the update system would be a lot faster if files were compressed then decompressed when they arrived on your pc, but they haven't coded that.

SE devs prolly working on other projects more and why the laziness when it comes to ff sometimes.

but they would get more customers if they made more short events like einherjar/salvage/limbus, less new stuff with HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE drop rates, and improved the gui.

You cannot call this laziness, DEVs are just following orders. They're just pawn on a chessboard. They ain't the one lazy since they ain't the one taking decisions anyway. If SE executives said : we ran a market analysis, upgrading engine to DX9 will cost too much money (time<>money) and won't enable us to get extra customers => then no DX9.

As for upgrading drop rate and a better GUI same thing. FF XI is 6 years old, suddenly raising drop rate and making the GUI user friendly (WoW-like) would cost probably too much money (for the GUI redesign, not the drop rate off course) and won't get SE that many new customers. We're not gonna teach them how to run a business I mean they're the ones sucking our $12.95/month so they know what they're doing and so far SE been doing pretty well. Not many 6 y/o MMO managed to remains that active. Not to mention that FF XI was JP/NA only until ~2007.

If something ain't done, there's always a good reason behind it. Such factor as "laziness" doesn't exists in such corporation. DEVs ain't paid for doing nothing.
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-04-28 11:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

i dont mean a completely new interface, that would be a waste for them, but they could easily mimic the basic widower plugins within a few mins since the data is already sent to the game.

the direct x 9 thing they did work on, but stopped halfway through when could of finished.

its the decisions they have made which cause some people to play lolwow instead, they aren't as good on the chessboard as they could be.

they aren't doing nothing, they are just concentrating on other ***, i'm guessing rapture.

windowed mode should of existed from the start, it wasn't because it was a poor port from ps2, something they should of learn t from when they released pc version of ff7 and 8 (the poor port i mean not windowed version).

as for plugins if they actually talked to their customers more than just the odd ***interview where all they seem to ever say is "i dont know" or "id have to ask the guy in charge of that" then they would know what we actually want and the customers wouldn't of needed to make windower.

more people would play, they would get more money.
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-28 11:52:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Slamm said:

I doubt it, to be honest. The general consensus among the MMO crowd (with exceptions, of course) is that FFXI is just too much of a time sink for the casual gamer. Short of S-E completely retooling FFXI's behavior on a fundamental level (which would be a huge gamble on their part, as they'd be risking losing many of their players now for those "hypothetical" players that would be attracted to the game were it less time intensive) it's not something I could see S-E, or any other MMO developer, doing. Not at this point, anyways.

Sony Online Entertainment actually did that, in a way, with Star Wars Galaxies, and the howls of indignation from the player base at the time were deafening. Originally, SW:G did not have Jedi Knight's; the player base demanded that the class (profession, whatever they called it) be introduced (which I'm told was HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE from a storyline aspect anyways, as the game took place in a time when there were no Jedi), so SOE added it, although it was pretty damn hard to unlock...as well it should be, you're trying to become a freaking Jedi lol. Some people busted their *** to unlock it, spent weeks working towards it, but eventually enough people complained about the difficulty that SOE made the class selectable right off the bat. Those people that spent all that time leveling professions and such to qualify for Jedi shat major bricks, and they alienated a lot of their hardcore player base because of it.

SOE changed a lot of things about that game, at one point (so I'm told by friends that played it back in the day) they actually deleted a couple classes with no warning at all. Imagine, you're a 75 Ninja, you log on one day to a message from S-E: "Due to problems with Ninja, the job has been deleted. Please select another job and start all over again." That's pretty much what SOE did. I wonder how many people said "EFF THIS GARBAGE" after that lol...

Anyways, S-E has the difficult job in keeping the current player base happy while making the game attractive to new players, and I don't envy them to be sure. They've done a lot already to make the game easier to get into (anyone that played pre-level sync can attest to what a nightmare it was getting a party at all, let alone a good one) and those things that are uber, and thus require a lot of work and play time to achieve, are justified IMHO.

I will say though, a graphical update for PC users would be nice, as a lot of it could be client-side and thus require little adjustment server-side (at least, it seems to me that would be the case, just call on different, prettier, .dats for PC users). The plugins everyone wants natively (and gets through windower), IMO, aren't necessary. Many people play without them, it is possible. Writing a "{Warrior}TP is <tp><call10>" is not hard, and might even encourage people to skillchain once in a while (LOL skillchain what's that? >.<). Being able to eyeball aggro range, or pull distance ain't that hard, and makes you a better player. Writing a /recast macro ain't hard either. Again, this is just my opinion...I've never used windower, and the plugins do have an appeal, but despite what some people say, it ain't necessary. Sorry, but it's just not. You use it because it makes things a little easier for you...

TL;DR - I like the game just the way it is for the most part. Don't *** up like SOE did. The game is playable with the tools we are given.
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-04-28 11:55:40
Link | Quote | Reply

i meant they should of done it from the start, a huge update like that 6 years on would be HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, but making it direct x 9 and adding those simple things like distance tparty recast.

would be very good idea i think.

but it wont happen lol
 Bahamut.Fyyvoaa
Server: Bahamut
user: Fyyvoaa
By Bahamut.Fyyvoaa 2009-04-28 12:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Slamm said:

I doubt it, to be honest. The general consensus among the MMO crowd (with exceptions, of course) is that FFXI is just too much of a time sink for the casual gamer. Short of S-E completely retooling FFXI's behavior on a fundamental level (which would be a huge gamble on their part, as they'd be risking losing many of their players now for those "hypothetical" players that would be attracted to the game were it less time intensive) it's not something I could see S-E, or any other MMO developer, doing. Not at this point, anyways.

Sony Online Entertainment actually did that, in a way, with Star Wars Galaxies, and the howls of indignation from the player base at the time were deafening. Originally, SW:G did not have Jedi Knight's; the player base demanded that the class (profession, whatever they called it) be introduced (which I'm told was HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE from a storyline aspect anyways, as the game took place in a time when there were no Jedi), so SOE added it, although it was pretty damn hard to unlock...as well it should be, you're trying to become a freaking Jedi lol. Some people busted their *** to unlock it, spent weeks working towards it, but eventually enough people complained about the difficulty that SOE made the class selectable right off the bat. Those people that spent all that time leveling professions and such to qualify for Jedi shat major bricks, and they alienated a lot of their hardcore player base because of it.

SOE changed a lot of things about that game, at one point (so I'm told by friends that played it back in the day) they actually deleted a couple classes with no warning at all. Imagine, you're a 75 Ninja, you log on one day to a message from S-E: "Due to problems with Ninja, the job has been deleted. Please select another job and start all over again." That's pretty much what SOE did. I wonder how many people said "EFF THIS GARBAGE" after that lol...

Anyways, S-E has the difficult job in keeping the current player base happy while making the game attractive to new players, and I don't envy them to be sure. They've done a lot already to make the game easier to get into (anyone that played pre-level sync can attest to what a nightmare it was getting a party at all, let alone a good one) and those things that are uber, and thus require a lot of work and play time to achieve, are justified IMHO.

I will say though, a graphical update for PC users would be nice, as a lot of it could be client-side and thus require little adjustment server-side (at least, it seems to me that would be the case, just call on different, prettier, .dats for PC users). The plugins everyone wants natively (and gets through windower), IMO, aren't necessary. Many people play without them, it is possible. Writing a "{Warrior}TP is <tp><call10>" is not hard, and might even encourage people to skillchain once in a while (LOL skillchain what's that? >.<). Being able to eyeball aggro range, or pull distance ain't that hard, and makes you a better player. Writing a /recast macro ain't hard either. Again, this is just my opinion...I've never used windower, and the plugins do have an appeal, but despite what some people say, it ain't necessary. Sorry, but it's just not. You use it because it makes things a little easier for you...

TL;DR - I like the game just the way it is for the most part. Don't *** up like SOE did. The game is playable with the tools we are given.

Oh jebus, don't even mention SWG to me, I am so fed up with what SOE did to *** that whole game up that it just enrages me, I lost so many friends because I didn't want to keep paying a company that was going to just FUBAR up a game like that.

As for the jedi thing, at first it started out super hard, then they lowered the difficulty of it even further so that generally (when I started playing) there were already a damn ton of them.

I was well on my way to getting jedi (Yeah, I was one of those noobs that wanted it :p sue me) and I was so damn close when SOE just put out that crappy NGE (or w/e it was called) and royally screwed over about 99% of the playerbase, and did I get any compensation for all the time, stress and crap I went through? HELL NO!

Ok, I need to stop ranting on and on about a dead game.

/rant mode off

Really I like the game how it is, windower is a nice utility.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-28 12:01:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Slamm said:
i meant they should of done it from the start, a huge update like that 6 years on would be HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, but making it direct x 9 and adding those simple things like distance tparty recast.

DX9 would be awesome, but you're right, it won't happen, although I do have to say S-E irritates me about that in particular, since they announced it, everyone got all excited, and then they buried it.

Tparty, distance, and recast aren't necessary. If you use it, super, but it ain't necessary. The level sync system, due to the extremely long wait times LFG (I spent hours with my flag up) and the fact that the bulk of the player base is at an endgame level, was.
 Leviathan.Aikar
Server: Leviathan
user: Aikar
By Leviathan.Aikar 2009-04-28 12:12:35
Link | Quote | Reply

hay guyz wats goin on n here?! </thistypingstylewasajoke>

I wouldn't say it wont happen (DX9), well from SE it wont but I'm eventually going to try :)

It's not necessary to have macros either, you can type your spells and use menu's. But do you not agree the game is alot better with them?

I thought so :) FYI adding many of these plugins would be 15 minute jobs.
There is no 'time wasted' or 'development cost' to them really beyond 1 hour of a programmers paycheck.

Lets see, pay a programmer 1-2 hours more on a paycheck and make 500,000 people paying you 13-14$/month happier, yeah....
[+]
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-04-28 12:23:08
Link | Quote | Reply

yeh excactly, i also think a lot of people would of left by now if it wasn't for windower, SE knows it too.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-28 12:25:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Aikar said:
It's not necessary to have macros either, you can type your spells and use menu's. But do you not agree the game is alot better with them?

Of course it is, but they have to draw a line somewhere. I mean, they could remove the exp loss from death, too, that would make things HELLA easier, but would break the game. They could also introduce point-to-point teleportation, but that would also break the game.

S-E gave us a finite number of macro spaces, and with the book system, gave us access to many, many more as well. Would having infinite line macros be nice? Obviously. Is it needed to play the game? No.

My point is, a lot of people say they use windower because "they need it". Nobody "needs" it. They're just used to having it. When my G-keys stopped working on my G11 keyboard, it *** me up for a couple days...but I got used to it, and I actually got better at navigating the menus because of it. Now, if it happens again, I'm prepared to function without it.
 Asura.Slamm
By Asura.Slamm 2009-04-28 12:33:41
Link | Quote | Reply

yeh i agree, but it rly would make a lot of players happy.

one thing SE fail at is keeping its players happy, how many times do u hear "*** u SE" for some reason when playing?

if SE kept people happy they would have more people paying that money/month to play.

gimping the difficulty level is bad, but widower doesn't do that.

pressing more buttons to cast a spell doesn't make it harder just more of a pain.
 Unicorn.Nitsuj
VIP
Server: Unicorn
user: framerate
By Unicorn.Nitsuj 2009-04-28 12:51:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Aikar said:
hay guyz wats goin on n here?! </thistypingstylewasajoke>

I wouldn't say it wont happen (DX9), well from SE it wont but I'm eventually going to try :)

I thought so :) FYI adding many of these plugins would be 15 minute jobs.
There is no 'time wasted' or 'development cost' to them really beyond 1 hour of a programmers paycheck.

Lets see, pay a programmer 1-2 hours more on a paycheck and make 500,000 people paying you 13-14$/month happier, yeah....

Pretty sure SE doesn't even have an programmers assigned to the project full time. If they do, it's probably just 1 Lead Programmer who during most days works on a new project (That's how we do it at work, at least).

Seems like they bring in a development team for major retail expansions and then send them back to other projects when it's out the door and keep one guy part time to do bug fixes.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [278 days between previous and next post]
 Hades.Triet
Server: Hades
user: Sirseiko
By Hades.Triet 2010-01-31 20:03:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Is something wrong with the UI Mod?

I downloaded Aikar's UI Mod program it changed the background designs on the log, but the font is still the same. I even tried going to Emiko's LJ and downloading the ROM folder but that didn't do anything either. . .Halp!? :3
 Shiva.Drteeth
Server: Shiva
user: Drteeth
By Shiva.Drteeth 2010-01-31 20:46:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Triet said:
Is something wrong with the UI Mod?

I downloaded Aikar's UI Mod program it changed the background designs on the log, but the font is still the same. I even tried going to Emiko's LJ and downloading the ROM folder but that didn't do anything either. . .Halp!? :3

You downloaded FFXI Style, right? If that's the case, then the UI mods are labeled by folder. Just go into your FFXI Rom folders and replace those with the other .dats. I believe there is also a way to extract them directly to the appropriate folders.

...Unless I missed the entire point of your post. It's late. D:
 Hades.Triet
Server: Hades
user: Sirseiko
By Hades.Triet 2010-01-31 21:19:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Drteeth said:
Hades.Triet said:
Is something wrong with the UI Mod? I downloaded Aikar's UI Mod program it changed the background designs on the log, but the font is still the same. I even tried going to Emiko's LJ and downloading the ROM folder but that didn't do anything either. . .Halp!? :3
You downloaded FFXI Style, right? If that's the case, then the UI mods are labeled by folder. Just go into your FFXI Rom folders and replace those with the other .dats. I believe there is also a way to extract them directly to the appropriate folders. ...Unless I missed the entire point of your post. It's late. D:
Yeah thats what I downloaded. and then unzipped it for the ROM folder then I copypastad it to the Final Fantasy Folder. (used the read me to change a couple of the original log backgrounds)
 Cerberus.Phyrefly
Server: Cerberus
user: Phyrefly
By Cerberus.Phyrefly 2010-02-06 20:53:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Has anyone ever heard of anyone running into problems using timestamp, since I hear it shows up in the chat logs? See, I have a friend that uses it, and I was curious.
 Cerberus.Bigdave
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Bigdave 2010-02-07 04:52:41
Link | Quote | Reply

never been in trouble for it
 Phoenix.Lazuras
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Lazuras 2010-02-07 06:02:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't believe the name of this topic isn't "Anyone still not use windower?"
[+]
 Fenrir.Dramanue
Server: Fenrir
user: Dramanue
By Fenrir.Dramanue 2010-02-07 11:49:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Really though, has anyone really been far even as decided to not use Windower to do look more like?

.. .. ..

Alright, enough of that. I think a lot of players (as per the size of this topic alone) still use Windower. I still use it, but mainly because it looks prettier and I can use plasticsurgeon to be a pretty girl. ^^

The only reason I ever started to use Windower was so I could listen to my Winamp. So really, for me, it was a "win win" situation.

Get it? LOLz.

I'm going back to my MH now.