Gold Box Farmin Guku
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-09-28 23:14:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Krsone said: »
I always thought azure was purely chest quality not quantity, and on the whole pearl lights would pop more blue chests over gold. Ive always done 255 azure 128ish pearl and 255 amber when cleaving and get a very good gold chest to blue chest ratio.
It's quality and quantity.
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2011-09-28 23:17:51
Link | Quote | Reply

They aren't mutually exclusive. Just camp Guku while spamming for gold boxes. If you don't get claim, you're farming boxes. If you aren't lucky with boxes, you're there for claim. It's really not complicated
 Odin.Venomous
Server: Odin
By Odin.Venomous 2011-10-01 10:40:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I prefer cleaving and farming the boxes opposed to claiming Guku. Azure 255, Pearl 128+, Amber 150+ and in under 2 hours ill have my LS 2/3 on Sobek pops, full Fishy pops & Amhuluk pops. I leave Guku for those that prefer to participate in the claim game.
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2011-10-17 14:25:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Venomous said: »
I prefer cleaving and farming the boxes opposed to claiming Guku. Azure 255, Pearl 128+, Amber 150+ and in under 2 hours ill have my LS 2/3 on Sobek pops, full Fishy pops & Amhuluk pops. I leave Guku for those that prefer to participate in the claim game.

This is laughable. How big is your LS? 3 people?

We used to CW/FC for pops with 18 people sitting there, each pull claimed about 90% of the colibri, and we would be lucky to see 5 guku's in 2 hours.

Me (nin/war), a blu, and a whm went out and out camped people and got 17 skins in 2 hours camping guku.

If you want to camp guku bring a fast claim and a long lasting invisible and run faster than the other guy. Also bring full red procs or damn near full. Anything else is just wasting your time and other peoples time who came prepared.

If you insist on gold farming, which I have done a few times solo.

You can get bonus amber from bugards while you are waiting for the Jala to show. Cap amber for Big gold chests to show up with KIs.

If you cap amber and then go straight to building pearl may help you see a guku skin faster. But you run the risk of getting booted from the zone. Last time I went with just pure amber and pearl, it took me just under 2 hours before I saw the KI.

128 azure is more than enough to keep TEs rolling in and keep you in the zone the rest of the night. 128 azure is all you want. anything over that is going to drop 5 blue to every one damn gold.

Azure giving mobs have already been covered.

110ish amber is ideal for farming ***from smaller gold boxes. anything over that and you will start seeing more KIs

So if you want capped potential for KIs you want to cap amber, leave 128 for azure. Pearl will cap sooner or later regardless so arguing over capping pearl is funny too. Raise the other 2 lights first and then spam the piss out of pearly mobs after that.

Colibri are nice for building pearl since they will not ruby.

If you are say after dark rings or base af3 feet then you want capped pearl, 128 azure 110ish amber. And also a non-ruby giving squishy mob.
 Cerberus.Kaht
Server: Cerberus
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-10-17 16:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
Me (nin/war), a blu, and a whm went out and out camped people and got 17 skins in 2 hours camping guku.

Care to explain how you got 17 skins in 120 mins off a NM that repops every 10-15 mins?

What you're saying is that you claimed him every time, killed him instantly, but triggered red !! before he instantly died. And since you didn't have 17 individual people there to hold the KI, you assembled the other 2 KI from the other 2 NM, popped sobek and killed him to free up your KI so that you could hold another skin. And this all within 7.05 mins, and then magically shortened Guku's respawn timer by 3 minutes?

That would be a really cool trick.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2011-10-17 16:22:50
Link | Quote | Reply

We started with full pops.

Most were 2 skins.

and it is flat 10 mins.

and yes we did it that fast.

Sorry though it was 14 skins, got the last 3 the next day in about 20 minutes.

3 skins off my bad.

I guess you have never head of multitasking though.
 Bahamut.Aramachus
Server: Bahamut
user: Aramachus
By Bahamut.Aramachus 2011-10-17 16:42:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Most were 2 skins.

and it is flat 10 mins.

3 skins off my bad.

lol sounds like the usual talk on this board and thats the reason why you cant take half of the stuff serious that ppl write here >_> I did my fare share of guku and either you had no competition (what at least on bahamut server NEVER occurs) or its just not true. guku doesnt always spawn at the same spot so no matter how fast you run, fast you claim, good you are, he can always and will eventually spawn in front of someone else out of your sightrange. on bahamut "competition" means theres at least 5+ other invisible ppl running about the peiste. Number 2, its NOT flat 10min. why cant ppl just stay with the truth, at least I am interested in reading facts when coming here, not who claims to have the biggest epeen and all that crap like "easily finished my sobek stage in 2 days dualboxing" you can read in most threads here gets on my nerves so bad. grow up kids
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-10-17 16:46:47
Link | Quote | Reply

chill
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2011-10-17 16:48:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats a really long winded post Draugo ~.~

Whats wrong with having a small LS and cleaving for KIs? Yeah, if you have 18 people, obviously cleaving is not the most efficient way (at all). Not everyone has 18 people in their LS, and thats fine ~.~

On a side note..its really, really stupid that the bugard Ki doesn't drop in gold boxes, wtf SE? Pretty sure every other emp weapon KI drops in boxes...
 Fenrir.Terminus
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-10-17 16:57:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey for what it's worth at this point, I like kind of a hybrid method. Since Sobek is right there, and a few minor nms nearby, cleave the lizards. At the same time, people can get KIs the old fashioned way from the lizard nm, the nearby bugard, as well as Guku when you can get him. Everyone is pretty much right there, and even if the person the needs X KI that's in a chest is currently over a bugards, they can make it in time easily.

Never really bothered thinking about how many pops per hour we got - we weren't just screwing around, but it certainly wasn't balls to the wall, either, and everything just worked out to build pops on pretty much everyone there (8? I don't remember) in just a little while.

Also... I think that one guy means they got Sobek's skins that fast, not the peiste skin KI. Because you still couldn't get 14 in two hours - From the time of your first Guku kill, if it was a flat 10 minute repop, and if you killed every one instantly, and if you claimed the next on instantly on repop, the very shortest time it would take is 130 minutes.

So I think that's where the confusion is.

Edit: Sorry though, that really doesn't seem helpful to the original question. :(
 Fenrir.Divinian
user: Divinian
By Fenrir.Divinian 2011-10-17 17:28:01
Link | Quote | Reply

After reading peoples comments, I chose a "gold box onry" method of getting guku's KI. I would go in get NO azure, cap amber, and 120 or so pearl. Within 1 to 1.5 hours I would usually have 2/3 KIs for both me and my mule doing it blu burn style.

I didn't have any of the stress that camping that damn lizard can cause and I was happy for it. Got almace about 2 weeks ago.

If you don't mind it taking a little longer if it means no camping, then go for this style. If you got more people and need the weapon fast, then do a hybrid. That's my two cents.

Happy hunting.
 Cerberus.Kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-10-21 14:24:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Most were 2 skins.

and it is flat 10 mins.

3 skins off my bad.

Ohhhhhhhhh you mean Sobek's skins. All this talk about claiming guku, and not getting guku KI out of gold boxes... I thought you were talking about molted peiste skins.

14 Sobek's skins in 2 hours... that's not impressive at all - no need for an explanation. My bad.

(sorry for the late reply)
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2011-10-21 14:30:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said: »
chill

lolz, had to do it
 Cerberus.Kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-10-21 14:40:32
Link | Quote | Reply

And just to contribute to the discussion regarding gold boxes vs. guku, I farmed my almace solely off of gold pyxis. Additionally, everyone says that it's faster to farm guku when you have a big LS, and I found it to be completely the opposite.

Around 10 ls mates would come out on a level 30+ job and leech xp and hold KI from the gold pyxis. It would typically take around 2 hours of whiskerburning to get the lizard and guku skin for everyone.

If you don't have a lot of friends coming out to hold KI for you, then whiskerburning is a lot less appealing option since you're gonna waste time building lights to only end up with a few KI.

My opinion: get a bunch of friends with unleveled subjobs to come out and get free xp while you use them to hold KI. That way everybody wins.
By Entourage 2011-10-21 15:13:18
Link | Quote | Reply

or you could do it duo/dbox in the same amount of time claiming Guku's and NOT waste 7 other people's time. Finding people willing to kill an entire night leeching bad exp is easier said than done (naturally if you do find leechers it'd speed it up).

took me maybe 15 hours casually to finish guku dboxing WAR+WHM (and 3 helpers for ~50% of it - THF+NIN+WHM)
 Cerberus.Kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-10-21 15:21:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Entourage said: »
or you could do it duo/dbox in the same amount of time claiming Guku's and NOT waste 7 other people's time. Finding people willing to kill an entire night leeching bad exp is easier said than done (naturally if you do find leechers it'd speed it up).

took me maybe 15 hours casually to finish guku dboxing WAR+WHM (and 3 helpers for ~50% of it - THF+NIN+WHM)

Or you could do what I said and do it in considerably less time.

Another benefit of doing gold boxes is that you'll be able to build pops for cep at the same time and finish 2 emp weapons in less time than it would take you to finish 1.
By Entourage 2011-10-21 15:40:47
Link | Quote | Reply

RL Version:
<Kaht> hey guys I have an idea for a new invention; It's this 'wheel' (coined it myself) that we use to move things along a flat surface. yea with a axle to keep it spinning in place!

FFXI Version:
<Kaht> Hey guys I have an idea to farm Gukumatz; It's this thing called cleaving (coined it myself) to get KIs. Better yet we'll let people come leech on low level jobs to hold KIs!

long story short: you're hardly 'contributing' (not that I am at this moment either lol)
 Cerberus.Kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-10-21 15:53:44
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXIAH version:
<Entourage> Hey, I'm really bad at making analogies

RL Version:
<Entourage> Derp.
[+]