Place To Find Baseline Damage On Black Magic?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Place to find baseline damage on Black Magic?
Place to find baseline damage on Black Magic?
Server: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-14 11:43:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, so I'm leveling Scholar in a static 4-man, we have PLD tank and DNC, so I pretty much don't have ***to do on the healing end except throw up protect and shell, then it's Dark Arts and DDing all the way...a nice change of pace, as I'm normally main healer.

Anywho, I'm Elvaan, so yeah...shittier INT. I've been going SCH/WHM, but next time we go out I'm gonna try SCH/BLM instead...but anyways, is there a good place to find a general idea of what the elemental spell should land for? I know there's a lot of factors, resistances and all that...but just a ball park, so I know if I'm sucking *** or what. I've never really been able to be a real, pure BLM, in parties I'd always ended up being a shitty backup healer with my MP because our main healers sucked ***...which is why I haven't touched it in 2 years since I got it to 29 lol.

A few spells have their usual unresisted damage listed on the wiki, but not all of them, which is why I ask...just wanna make sure I'm maximizing Damage/MP. I'm stacking INT as much as reasonably (and fiscally) possible, eating Melon Pie's, etc...just wanna do the best I can and all that. ^^

Here's the gear I'm wearing. Any suggestions?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-04-14 11:55:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Damage varies depending on your int vs the mob's int, in addition to MAB and MDB, so any "usual" damage number should be taken with a grain of salt.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-14 12:06:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Nightfyre said:
Damage varies depending on your int vs the mob's int, in addition to MAB and MDB, so any "usual" damage number should be taken with a grain of salt.

So how do BLMs know when a spell wasn't "right"? I see quite a bit of variation in DMG from one cast to the next, most recently Thunder and Blizzard on Mandies and Gobs in Yuhtunga...

Or do you just pretty much cast and hope for the best? ^^
 Asura.Yotevol
Server: Asura
user: Yotevol
By Asura.Yotevol 2009-04-14 12:06:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Ok, so I'm leveling Scholar in a static 4-man, we have PLD tank and DNC, so I pretty much don't have ***to do on the healing end except throw up protect and shell, then it's Dark Arts and DDing all the way...a nice change of pace, as I'm normally main healer.

Anywho, I'm Elvaan, so yeah...shittier INT. I've been going SCH/WHM, but next time we go out I'm gonna try SCH/BLM instead...but anyways, is there a good place to find a general idea of what the elemental spell should land for? I know there's a lot of factors, resistances and all that...but just a ball park, so I know if I'm sucking *** or what. I've never really been able to be a real, pure BLM, in parties I'd always ended up being a shitty backup healer with my MP because our main healers sucked ***...which is why I haven't touched it in 2 years since I got it to 29 lol.

A few spells have their usual unresisted damage listed on the wiki, but not all of them, which is why I ask...just wanna make sure I'm maximizing Damage/MP. I'm stacking INT as much as reasonably (and fiscally) possible, eating Melon Pie's, etc...just wanna do the best I can and all that. ^^

Here's the gear I'm wearing. Any suggestions?

Grab more MP gear. For lower levels, I went /nin to dual wield INT clubs.
Also, get rid of the +3MP ring and get another INT ring.
Use a Baron's Saio and Chapeau for body and head.
With those small changes, you would get an additional +8 INT.
MP is nice, but in such small doses, it won't make a big difference while INT would.

Just a couple of suggestions.
~Yote
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-04-14 12:10:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey #2....<lol>

Why wouldn't you get mage slacks for more Oomph and Perhaps the Cape That drops from Spini Spipi????

and perhaps the two +int rings... But I have two astrals on mine Whm/Blm...

Just my .02 cents.. helping a brutha out!
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-14 12:10:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Yotevol said:

Thanks for the suggestions...but is the enmity +2 in the Baron's Chapeau gonna get me killed? lol

Neonracer said:
Why wouldn't you get mage slacks for more Oomph and Perhaps the Cape That drops from Spini Spipi????

Well, I haven't done any major shopping for SCH yet...was basically just piecing ***together out of gear I already had until now, but since I think I'm gonna ride this *** to 75, I'm gonna do better (I'm having a blast with SCH, it's hella fun ^^).

And I would love to be rocking two astrals, but that's a little out of my budget lol
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-04-14 12:12:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Nightfyre said:

So how do BLMs know when a spell wasn't "right"? I see quite a bit of variation in DMG from one cast to the next, most recently Thunder and Blizzard on Mandies and Gobs in Yuhtunga...

Trial and error. I can tell you my 60BLM nukes for ~500 damage with Aero III on most mobs if it's unresisted. The actual number has ranged from 480 to around 540 depending on the mob, and it'll go a bit higher once I get my Penitent's Rope. After a while you get a good idea of whether it's a resist or not.
 Fenrir.Alijah
user: Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-04-14 12:13:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Nightfyre said:

You start to get a feel for it after a while; it's sort of like driving your car and when somethings wrong, you just know. Doesnt make you a mechanic, just makes you know your own car. ^^

Also, there are some awesome Level 25 R/E feet that can pop in Rolanberry Coffers, Rambler's Gaiters. Try to grab yourself a pair. :)

Edit: Also, I forget the name, but there's a head piece with Int and Evasion on it, Um... Erudite's Headband? Something like that? Im camping an NM atm so I cant really spend too much time looking it up. It's level 15 or something. If you're afraid of the Enmity from the Barons, thats a good option, too.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-04-14 12:15:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Neonracer said:
Hey #2....<lol>

Just my .02 cents.. helping a brutha out!

Mist Silk Cape has no INT+, and INT is generally a greater focus than MP for BLM and the nuking SCH because more INT helps cut resists (up to a point but you won't reach that point in low-level parties) and add damage. The exception might be a Max MP setup for a free nuke.
Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Yotevol said:

Thanks for the suggestions...but is the enmity +2 in the Baron's Chapeau gonna get my killed? lol

Likely not, but if you're 29+ just get the Seer's Crown +1.
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-04-14 12:15:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Yotevol said:
Grab more MP gear. For lower levels, I went /nin to dual wield INT clubs.
Also, get rid of the +3MP ring and get another INT ring.
With those small changes, you would get an additional +8 INT.
MP is nice, but in such small doses, it won't make a big difference while INT would.

Just a couple of suggestions.
~Yote

I personally would/will never invest in any Baron's gear. Those two items alone on Unicorn will only add 3 INT for the price of 110k. Not worth it for me, at least, at level 20. Seeing as you are syncing at 27 you could just wait a few levels and spent the 25k on your server for a seer's crown +1 for the same amount on INT you get from those two pieces and no +Enmity.
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-04-14 12:26:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:

Damage resistance is a multiplier affected to your "unresisted" damage. 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 or 1/16. So even in case of variation, you'll instantly notice when your damage are halved, or even worse divided by 4 or 8.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-04-14 13:06:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Since no one has actually answered the OP yet, I thought I would add my own input. There are of course factors that affect damage (Day, weather, mob weakness/strength, mob type, level, and of course, resists), but this is the BASE damage for spells.

User submitted image
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-04-14 13:12:10
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

SE's complex magic calculations and varying formulas with countless conditions along with SE's lack of status information other than your INT and magic skill cap makes for a very difficult study of finding base values for magic output.

Unfortunately I can't find the answer to your original question, but the best advice I can give was already given:

Alijah said:
You start to get a feel for it after a while; it's sort of like driving your car and when somethings wrong, you just know. Doesnt make you a mechanic, just makes you know your own car. ^^
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-04-14 13:16:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Since no one has actually answered the OP yet, I thought I would add my own input. There are of course factors that affect damage (Day, weather, mob weakness/strength, mob type, level, and of course, resists), but this is the BASE damage for spells.

User submitted image

Thanks for that, gives me something to look at. Spending 30 MP on Blizzard to have it land for 16 DMG sucked, at least I know around what it's supposed to do...

And everyone else: Thank You for the gear suggestions and everything else...I'm clueless as to being a DD mage, so all input is very helpful ^^
 Bahamut.Neowrath
Server: Bahamut
user: Neowrath
By Bahamut.Neowrath 2009-04-14 13:19:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Calculating Magic Damage

To go along with the chart above (which is on the linked page, too), so you can see where V and everything else is within the formulas.
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-04-14 13:29:41
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I would assume under the light column would be the banish spells. If so why is there no tier 3?
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-04-14 13:33:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I heard trading a Tinnin's Fang, Sarameya's Hide and Tyger's Tail to some ??? in Aydeewa Subterrane tells you how much your nukes would do.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-04-14 13:34:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
I would assume under the light column would be the banish spells. If so why is there no tier 3?

Because no one cares about Banish III >.>